The G Man

Alshon Jeffery 2020 Outlook

7 hours ago, aapox said:

Glad there's a little discussion flowing. I just grabbed this guy for $1 but need to drop someone for a kicker by Sunday. Not sure if he's worth holding but I wanted to wait a week to read into it. It seems like he very well could be done based on how he looked before and how bad a Lisfranc can be, not to mention his others injuries. But here we are again with Philly desperately needing help in the pass-catching part of the game and their defense isn't very good either so they'll need to throw. I just don't know how much of a chance there is that he can even be that 50-70 yards and a 50% TD shot guy again...and it seems like no one else knows either.

If it helps any he looks shredded unlike before this year. Took the off season a lot more serious then the past few years on the Eagles. He seems like he wants to shut the doubters up and make up for the snitching thing on Wentz

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

If it helps any he looks shredded unlike before this year. Took the off season a lot more serious then the past few years on the Eagles. He seems like he wants to shut the doubters up and make up for the snitching thing on Wentz

1492393637412.gif

• Like 1

Also grabbed him.. Not sure what to expect tbh (grabbed him for free over the likes of Brian Hill)

There's been many examples of players coming back from Lisfranc surgery.  Julio had some career best years in 2014 and 2015 after his injury.  Brian Westbrook and Le'Veon Bell also with some incredible performances the year after surgery.  Cam Newton looks to.have no trouble running this year.

But then there are the cautionary tales.  Santonio Holmes, MJD, Darren McFadden, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson (never played an NFL down again after the injury, may he RIP).  These guys were pretty much toast after their injury.

Is Alshon more Julio or more Santonio?  I'd argue the latter.  Guy has never been the paradigm of health.  For me personally, he's a guy I've never liked to own. If I were to roster him, I'd do so "because they have no one else".  But they do!  This guy named Greg Ward played like a baller.  I wonder if Ward would be more effective than Alshon at this point in his career.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe I read recently that he had a lisfranc sprain as opposed to a fracture. Obviously, it was still serious enough to require surgery, but I think it makes a big difference whether the metatarsal is fully displaced.

A big storyline that’s being missed in the Goedert injury. The Eagles ran a league high 12 personal. Without DG, they’ll run more 3 WR’s sets and give someone like Jeffrey a clearer chance for playing time. I have him stashed but there’s zero chance I’d start him this week. His schedule gets easier as the season goes on, if he gives you a few good games. I’d start him with some confidence during the bye weeks. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, philly4life553 said:

A big storyline that’s being missed in the Goedert injury. The Eagles ran a league high 12 personal. Without DG, they’ll run more 3 WR’s sets and give someone like Jeffrey a clearer chance for playing time. I have him stashed but there’s zero chance I’d start him this week. His schedule gets easier as the season goes on, if he gives you a few good games. I’d start him with some confidence during the bye weeks. 

Isn't he their WR1 though? I'm not understanding your "clearer chance to play" comment. Last year you can see his snap percentage. I agree I wouldn't start him unless I needed to this week. But I don't see anything with the Eagles that suggests he wouldn't get a ton of playing time this year regardless or personnel packages.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JeffAl00/fantasy/2019

Edited by FitzMagic

I get a negative vibe in here about Alshon, people saying they roster him just cause they have no one else to throw to. That's rich.

Last year Alshon was healthy for 8 games. 6 of those 8 games he scored double digits and he never had a game with less than 5 targets and week 13 against Miami he had 16 targets.

He had games of 5, 7, and 7 targets but most of his games were 8+ targets per game. 

If he is healthy he is a rock solid WR2. Double digit points about 70% chance any given week and his low games won't kill you unless he were to get injured, which happened twice last year. BUT....when he is healthy he is a baller.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Alshon is washed up.

Stay away.

I’m on the fence because I know how badly they need him. However I’m this close to dropping him [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content

Anyone targeting him on the ww? Think of throwing a few bucks at him. Anyone know how he is looking. I heard he got shredded in the off season. 

Looks like this train is empty.  Snagged him after waivers cleared this morning.  Lets hope he ramps up practice this week and is able to play.  The Ingles desperately need healthy receivers

On 10/1/2020 at 2:16 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I get a negative vibe in here about Alshon, people saying they roster him just cause they have no one else to throw to. That's rich.

Last year Alshon was healthy for 8 games. 6 of those 8 games he scored double digits and he never had a game with less than 5 targets and week 13 against Miami he had 16 targets.

He had games of 5, 7, and 7 targets but most of his games were 8+ targets per game. 

If he is healthy he is a rock solid WR2. Double digit points about 70% chance any given week and his low games won't kill you unless he were to get injured, which happened twice last year. BUT....when he is healthy he is a baller.

This is kind of where I'm at.  Sure, he's hurt a lot.  But on the flip side, basically when he's on the field he's been pretty decent.

Definitely wouldn't bother with him in 10 team leagues but I've stashed him on my bench in my 14 teamer that starts 3 WR's as a guy who hopefully can at least be useful as bye weeks approach.  

There's little doubt that the Eagles need him with all their injuries and the opportunity should be there which is half the battle in fantasy.

• Like 2

I grabbed him for $1...for the second week in a row.. This time Im holding him through Week 6's game (assuming he plays be then) to see what we're working with here. My hope is he can be a WR4 during the bye weeks. I don't think there's much upside left but he's always had a nose for the endzone. a 50-60 yard game with a TD is what I'm hoping he can give me when he's filling in, if he can prove to be healthy.

As an apples to apples-ish comparison, I dropped AJ Green for him. At least with Alshon there isn't lots of game tape from this season showing how done he is. I wouldn't be shocked though.

Alshon is like Cthulhu. He waits dreaming and he will soon begin devouring souls. 

Grab him now while you still can. If this guy gets back on the field he's going to be "competing" with an AAF guy for targets.  And he's already well-known as an elite beast.

Heed Lovecraft's call.

Grabbed him with Godwin in my IR slot. I don't have the highest of hopes but the eagles just need warm bodies at this point

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

Alshon is like Cthulhu. He waits dreaming and he will soon begin devouring souls. 

Grab him now while you still can. If this guy gets back on the field he's going to be "competing" with an AAF guy for targets.  And he's already well-known as an elite beast.

Heed Lovecraft's call.

Not to nitpick (because I am really a fan of your posts), but is Alshon really "elite?"  

He's now 30 and is coming off another injury-plagued season.  His production on the Eagles was also a huge step-down from his Bears days.  

I don't know.  There can't be a very good track record for injury-plagued 30-year old WRs.  The Eagles offense is also a mess.  Target share is an important piece of the puzzle, but it means way less if an offense can't score or move the ball.  The Eagles can't.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Not to nitpick (because I am really a fan of your posts), but is Alshon really "elite?"  

He's now 30 and is coming off another injury-plagued season.  His production on the Eagles was also a huge step-down from his Bears days.  

I don't know.  There can't be a very good track record for injury-plagued 30-year old WRs.  The Eagles offense is also a mess.  Target share is an important piece of the puzzle, but it means way less if an offense can't score or move the ball.  The Eagles can't.  

Well I put my faith in 33 year old DeSean Jackson to start the season so technically Alshon is an upgrade. 

Sign me up

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

There can't be a very good track record for injury-plagued 30-year old WRs...

He could be washed up. It'll happen eventually. But every time I've seen him healthy he's been awesome. It just doesn't happen that often. 

I remember last year calling for an Alshon Blowup Month.  He immediately rewarded me with a huge game the 1st week after I made the proclamation. The 2nd week, he got hurt.  Vintage Alshon.   

Sometimes the price of attending the wedding is having to attend the funeral too.

I've been so patient with this guy. but Jesus he's absent from practice now due to "illness" SMDH

1 hour ago, avion16 said:

I've been so patient with this guy. but Jesus he's absent from practice now due to "illness" SMDH

As long as he can stay in an IR spot I'm hanging on, otherwise I'll probably bail.

So frustrating. If it isn't one thing it is another with this guy. He is perpetually off the field and blowing a golden opportunity to make an impact on this team and be a solid FFB contributor.

• Haha 1