The G Man

Alshon Jeffery 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Stud. When Healthy

He's 30, has played one full season in the last 5 years, and is coming off of surgery and a year-long absence.  

Can we really be so confident in Alshon's talent?  There is a lot of risk he's fallen off the cliff.  The track record for 30+, injury-riddled WRs coming off of major injury can't be good.  

• Like 4

Here's the last healthy game Alshon played: 9 catches, 137 yards, and a TD.

Last season he played 10 games but left two injured without accumulating any stats.  If you use only the 8 games in which he was healthy throughout, his 15.3 ppg average would have made him WR17, right after DJ Moore and just ahead of Ridley, Gallup, and Chark.

Discount him at your peril. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with Fulgham over Desean and Alshon.  Fulgham at least provides mystery and the hope of upside.  Desean is for sure cooked, done.  And Alshon is a bore.  

^^This^^.....I concur, 10recs for 152 and a TD against a very solid defense, I’m buying. He was shredding Hayden/Nelson all game. Desean/Alshon’s best days are behind them.

3 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

^^This^^.....I concur, 10recs for 152 and a TD against a very solid defense, I’m buying. He was shredding Hayden/Nelson all game. Desean/Alshon’s best days are behind them.

I picked up both lol. Because I don't wanna be that guy that picks up one and the other explodes on offense. And now I ain't getting him off the wire. That's usually my luck.

7 hours ago, Rainyy said:

He's 30, has played one full season in the last 5 years, and is coming off of surgery and a year-long absence.  

Can we really be so confident in Alshon's talent?  There is a lot of risk he's fallen off the cliff.  The track record for 30+, injury-riddled WRs coming off of major injury can't be good.  

No we can't. But he was a FA in most leagues.  That's not risk. He's probably a 4th or 5th WR for most. Sure he could get hurt or be useless but you can say that about pretty much all the WR on your wire. Give me a guy I can flex with moderate confidence and the pick up is a win. If it doesn't work out I gamble on someone else in the last roster spot. Shallow bench leagues should look elsewhere.

Any idea how close he was to playing this week? Or if he's still a farcry for week 7 TNF?

44 minutes ago, BigNicc said:

Any idea how close he was to playing this week? Or if he's still a farcry for week 7 TNF?

I'd just give up. Fulgham took his job going forward. Alshon screwed up any chance he had not pushing to play. There's no reason for the eagles to push Fulgham to the side, especially for an older guy that's already got one foot out the door 🚪

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Reminder: you have about 80 minutes to add Alshon for free.

Why?  he isnt even active. 

25 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

You play in a league with benches, correct?  The idea is you stash Alshon now and don't risk someone else picking him up.  Especially useful if you have an IR slot.  Drop your kicker, add Alshon, IR him, add new kicker.  Everyone is happy.  Yay

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

If he were active he wouldn't be available. If you grab him now, you beat the rush next week.

They play on Thursday next week. No

sure thing he plays in that game.

Laugh out loud at the Fulgham owner trying to convince others (and more importantly himself) that Alshon will not claim the top receiving spot once he gets back healthy. Literally spit my coffee out when I read it. Thanks for the laugh. 

13 minutes ago, herschel said:

They play on Thursday next week. No

sure thing he plays in that game.

He probably won't be back till after the bye imo

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Laugh out loud at the Fulgham owner trying to convince others (and more importantly himself) that Alshon will not claim the top receiving spot once he gets back healthy. Literally spit my coffee out when I read it. Thanks for the laugh. 

Reports indicate Fulgham secured the starting x spot I believe. I forget what the source was.

And I believe that is Alshon's spot.

It wouldn't be a shock if Jeffery is phased out. Guy is never healthy. Wouldn't surprise me if he's traded to let Fulgham and Reagor grow.

11 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Reports indicate Fulgham secured the starting x spot I believe. I forget what the source was.

It wouldn't be a shock if Jeffery is phased out. Guy is never healthy. Wouldn't surprise me if he's traded to let Fulgham and Reagor grow.

Lots of "experts" doing what they do... Show me something from the horse's mouth. Good fantasy games aren't translating to actual wins. I can see a scenario though where if Alshon continues this trend of being out and Fulgham continues to flash, it would make the decision extremely difficult. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo

8 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

They already tried to trade Alshon. No buyers

On 10/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Lots of "experts" doing what they do... Show me something from the horse's mouth. Good fantasy games aren't translating to actual wins. I can see a scenario though where if Alshon continues this trend of being out and Fulgham continues to flash, it would make the decision extremely difficult. 

I own neither, and at the least, I think it's a discussion worth having. Alshon plays the X...Fulgham has been playing the X. And in the three games he's been given a chance, Fulgham has been productive, including 6-75-1 against Balmer. I'm curious to see how Philly will get both on the field when Jeffery is healthy. 

Edited by Flyman75

Reminder:

Last season, in the eight games Alshon started and finished, he caught 43 passes for 490 yards and scored 5 TDs.  For 16 games, that's 86/980/10, good for WR12, a back-end WR1, when healthy in PPR.  He comes out in around the same area on a points-per-game analysis.  He wasn't washed up last season.

What about 2018?  He balled out totally.  In 13 games, he caught 65 balls for 843 yards and 6 TDs.  On a 16-game basis, that would have made him WR16.  On a per-game basis, he was WR23.

In 2017 he stayed healthy and was WR20.

Yes, he gets hurt a lot.  That's the knock on Alshon.  The knock has never been the talent.  He's 30 now and, eventually, the talent will go away.  But I don't see how you can just assume it's gone without seeing some evidence.  By the way, this injury is not the typical Alshon injury.  If anything, the soft tissues (his usual weak spot) have had time to fully recuperate.

Also:

Many have mentioned that Wentz has looked terrible.  I agree.  Do you think Wentz forgot how to play football?  Or is it more likely that he looks bad because he's throwing to UDFA JAGs and/or injured/unmotivated tight ends instead of legit #1 Alshon along with a first-round rookie with upside and field-stretcher D-Jax?  I'd bet on the latter.  And on Alshon.  He's no worse than like WR30 when healthy, with low-WR1 upside.

Add him for free before he locks Thursday night.

• Like 1