dontclapGonorrhea

Devin Singletary 2020 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Yeldon might get cut. They needed another RB. Plenty of teams drafted RBs despite not needing them.

Singletary caught 29 passes in 12 games. No reason he cant get at least 40 this season if he stays healthy.

He’s not going to beat out Moss for passing down work. Moss is a better receiver and pass protector.

• Like 2

Devin will beat out Moss for passing down work, actually.

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

They believed in Singletary so much they spent a top-100 pick on competition for him. They don’t see Singletary as a bellcow RB.

I agree that Singletary isn't viewed as a bellcow and that its fair to bump him down a bit, but i think the motivation for drafting Moss was more about the roster and the fact that they really didnt have another need.   Maybe he's meant to be a complimentary piece.  

28 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

moss could steal those goal line tds now. 

Who’s gonna send their QB this memo?

20 hours ago, BrianM said:

"I agree that Singletary isn't viewed as a bellcow and that its fair to bump him down a bit, but i think the motivation for drafting Moss was more about the roster and the fact that they really didnt have another need. Maybe he's meant to be a complimentary piece."

The other need they had was their lack of size at WR, which they addressed later by attaining Gabriel Davis & Isaiah Hodgins. Both have great hands, can elevate & high point the catch & are used to competing for 50/50 balls. Along with Moss' nose for the goal, they're all there to help finish drives in the red-zone. The problem with Moss being a backup is that  all the other 'backs they met with were among the best available. By the time the Bills selected in the 2nd RD they were gone. So, while it was a group of four, Moss was considered a tier below. 

I think it's important to remember that Buffalo made a push to land Melvin Gordon at last year's trade deadline. Now, they deny, but reportedly they went after him again & made him the best offer this offseason. So, the evidence suggests something entirely different than adding a backup to Singletary. Further, even though Moss was not in their top tier, they attempted to trade up in order to ensure they got him. Watching him shred PAC-12 tackling it's best to place greater weight on the plays where defenses were committed to getting him stopped. He handles unanticipated penetration very well. The knee & the mileage, perhaps his best football is behind him? But if not & he's 100%, watch out for this player. 

In fantasy, can't beat his price, while Singletary's potential is already factored into his adp, he's no value play. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2020 at 12:35 AM, Lamont Sanford said:

Model that beat experts

Whenever I read that, I envisage something like this:

tenor.gif

I mean if she says "draft Singletary", you'd damn well do it.

Edited by Boudewijn

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, turner46 said:

That quote isn't consistent. Not to say it isn't true, but to draft a RB with 1st-2nd RD talent to punch it in from the one or move the chains seems like a waste. Those who believe Moss' 40 time at the combine should consider whether a one-dimensional short yardage banger isn't widely available after the draft? Research Iowa's Toren Young or Norte Dame's Tony Jones jr. Way more than Zack Moss, if they're looking for a hammer, with either one of these guys you'll hear the pads crack from your living room chair.... and no, you won't need your TV turned on. :)

Right or wrong, the latter part of that quote I choose to ignore. Those of us interested in Moss shouldn't expect an open competition in training camp. Cam Akers can win the starting job in LA because Darrell Henderson never established himself. Given how cheaply Moss can be attained, Singletary owners may want to consider grabbing his handcuff.

Edited by markrc99

On 4/25/2020 at 3:50 PM, Br0kenB said:

Devin will beat out Moss for passing down work, actually.

Moss lead the nation for ypc for qualified RBs with 13.9

1 hour ago, Rona said:

Moss lead the nation for ypc for qualified RBs with 13.9

Moss’s role has already been explained - he’s taking over the Gore role, which is not the primary pass-catching role.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, BMcP said:

Moss’s role has already been explained - he’s taking over the Gore role, which is not the primary pass-catching role.

With all due respect, your explanation doesnt make it so.

A guy with a ypc like that is gonna be used regardless of the off season line of rhetoric.

The Gore role? lol A guy in the offense one year now has the template of every RB who must come after him. 

6 minutes ago, Rona said:

A guy with a ypc like that is gonna be used regardless of the off season line of rhetoric.

The Gore role? lol A guy in the offense one year now has the template of every RB who must come after him. 

What about the GMs explanation?

“Zack, I think he’s a very good complement to Devin. Devin has that shiftiness. Zack’s gonna be more of that banging in there. Not that he can’t dodge, but he’s going to lower that shoulder and try to, a little bit like Frank did at an older age for us,” said Beane, noting Moss can also catch the ball and play in pass protection. “He’s going to be more of the physical [type]. He’s not necessarily going to try to avoid contact. He can but I think his best thing is, in the end, [physicality].”

“So, you know I think more of the goal line and things like that as we did with Frank last year, you’ll see Zack do,” added Beane.“

Frankly I’m not sure how you miss the similarities in play style and role.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Rona said:

See above.

I’d also note that using collegiate YPC to judge how a RB projects to be used in the NFL is generally not a good idea.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, euphoriahbo said:

Allen and Diggs are the only 2 guys to own in Buffalo's offense.

Hard pass on Singletary.

No love for Moss?  Honestly, I’m surprised to hear this take from you.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, BMcP said:

See above.

I’d also note that using collegiate YPC to judge how a RB projects to be used in the NFL is generally not a good idea.

I agree, why use their college ability to see how they can perform in the future?

3 hours ago, Rona said:

I agree, why use their college ability to see how they can perform in the future?

If you want to judge him on the basis of what he did with 28 receptions as a fourth-year senior in the Pac-12, be my guest.

• Like 4

Singletary has dropped a bit in FFC drafts, down to a mid 4th rounder and the 23rd RB overall right now.   I wasn't a fan in the mid third but a full round later?  Sign me up.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Was reading over Walterfootball.com 2020 RB rankings and found this interesting... He was # 11 on the RB section. I think he's undervalue right now. Could really surprise plus with the Covid issues Moss could fall behind very quickly without mini/training camp. 

https://walterfootball.com/fantasy2020runningbacks_2.php

DevinSingletary_face.jpg Devin Singletary, RB, Bills. Bye: 11.
JULY 2 UPDATE: Devin Singletary's reception totals are expected to rise, as the coaching staff wants to involve him more in the passing game, according to team reporter Joe Buscaglia. I figured this to be the case, but it's nice to hear some confirmation.

I loved Devin Singletary as a sleeper heading into last season, even before LeSean McCoy was moved. It took Singletary a while to get going because he got injured, but he flashed some major potential down the stretch. He projects as a potential RB2 in 2020, as he'll handle most of the workload in his second year.

Projected 2020 Fantasy Stats: 1,160 rushing yards. 52 catches. 440 receiving yards. 10 total TDs.
Projected 2020 Fantasy Points: 220.
Projected 2020 PPR Fantasy Points: 272.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/camp-countdown-2020-3-reasons-why-devin-singletary-will-excel-in-2020

Edited by OrangeCrush
  • Like 2

In my opinion, Moss has what it takes to be a starting/bellcow rb in the NFL.

Moss is a big boy with light feet and some burst.  

Singletary has always seemed like a cop back and I wouldnt be surprised if Moss becomes their #1 and Singletary becomes the cop by mid-season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CViewPride35 said:

Singletary has always seemed like a cop back and I wouldnt be surprised if Moss becomes their #1 and Singletary becomes the cop by mid-season. 

Agree 100%.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CViewPride35 said:

Moss possesses neither light feet nor burst. Where do people get this stuff?  He’s frank gore the younger.  Pinballing banger you can count on a tough yard or two from.   That’s it.  

I’d be flat floored if he overtakes Singletary.   Teams draft role rbs all the time and Zack Moss fits the bill.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

Wasn’t Frank Gore the younger a bell-cow?

• Like 1