dontclapGonorrhea

Devin Singletary 2020 Outlook

6 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Moss possesses neither light feet nor burst. Where do people get this stuff?  He’s frank gore the younger.  Pinballing banger you can count on a tough yard or two from.   That’s it.  

I’d be flat floored if he overtakes Singletary.   Teams draft role rbs all the time and Zack Moss fits the bill.  

Dude, you have either never seen him run or you just dont know how to evaluate runners by studying film.

Moss is a fat boy, but to say he is just a pin-balling banger is completely wrong. 

He doesnt just lower his shoulders and tries to thump people, instead he is pretty shifty and makes people miss him. 

He had a bad 40 time(4.65), but that was with an injury.  He has enough speed to break off long runs as evidenced by his highlight tapes. 

Also his 20yd shuttle was better than Cam Akers who ran a 4.4 forty. So I would say Moss has some explosion and agility.

20-yard Shuttle

Of all drills that can measure agility and quickness, the 20-yard shuttle is easily the most telling indication of a player’s shot-area explosiveness.

Moss is a big boy that can move a pile, but he has got some shiftiness and burst.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, CViewPride35 said:

Dude, you have either never seen him run or you just dont know how to evaluate runners by studying film.

Moss is a fat boy, but to say he is just a pin-balling banger is completely wrong. 

He doesnt just lower his shoulders and tries to thump people, instead he is pretty shifty and makes people miss him. 

He had a bad 40 time(4.65), but that was with an injury.  He has enough speed to break off long runs as evidenced by his highlight tapes. 

Also his 20yd shuttle was better than Cam Akers who ran a 4.4 forty. So I would say Moss has some explosion and agility.

20-yard Shuttle

Of all drills that can measure agility and quickness, the 20-yard shuttle is easily the most telling indication of a player’s shot-area explosiveness.

Moss is a big boy that can move a pile, but he has got some shiftiness and burst.  

He also has a shortened offseason due to covid 19. Hasn't been able to meet in person with coaches or anyone. Can't go to the facility. No mini camp, almost no preseason games and Singletary is established, knows the playbook, coaches, nuances of the offense and so when times get tough they will lean on Singletary and not a rookie with a lot to learn in the shortest amount of time due to the shortened offseason with the team in NFL history.

Sign me up for the experience Singletary will bring and thus the team leaning on him even harder than they would were the circumstances normal.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He also has a shortened offseason due to covid 19. Hasn't been able to meet in person with coaches or anyone. Can't go to the facility. No mini camp, almost no preseason games and Singletary is established, knows the playbook, coaches, nuances of the offense and so when times get tough they will lean on Singletary and not a rookie with a lot to learn in the shortest amount of time due to the shortened offseason with the team in NFL history.

Sign me up for the experience Singletary will bring and thus the team leaning on him even harder than they would were the circumstances normal.

No doubt.   He’ll look like Shady Mccoy out there compared tho Zack “so slow he growin” Moss.   

combine that with the year advantage in the offense-  which he was simply dynamite...and the obvious need for a 2 yard banger which Moss can adequately fill....

Da Motor gonna have a great season  

Edited by Impreza178

Posted (edited)

Moss may not overtake the lead back role, but it does seem like Buffalo wants him to have a significant enough of a role to be a thorn in Singletary owners side. Most importantly, there’s a pretty good chance Moss will have a role near the goal line and steal a handful of the rushing TDs that are left after Josh Allen gets his. Allen led the league for QB rushing TDs with 9 in 2019. Doesn’t leave much for Singletary.

Singletary is going to be frustrating for fantasy because he’ll look good, and be productive with his touches, but Moss’s presence and a lack of TDs will keep Singletary from being the high value fantasy asset he otherwise could be.

Not going to be fun for Singletary owners to see games where he goes 12/72/0 while Allen and Moss get the rushing TDs, and I bet that happens often. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Moss may not overtake the lead back role, but it does seem like Buffalo wants him to have a significant enough of a role to be a thorn in Singletary owners side. Most importantly, there’s a pretty good chance Moss will have a role near the goal line and steal a handful of the rushing TDs that are left after Josh Allen gets his. Allen led the league for QB rushing TDs with 9 in 2019. Doesn’t leave much for Singletary.

Singletary is going to be frustrating for fantasy because he’ll look good, and be productive with his touches, but Moss’s presence and a lack of TDs will keep Singletary from being the high value fantasy asset he otherwise could be.

Not going to be fun for Singletary owners to see games where he goes 12/72/0 while Allen and Moss get the rushing TDs, and I bet that happens often. 

image.jpeg.9d755b91630517872673821f68194688.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Not going to be fun for Singletary owners to see games where he goes 12/72/0 yet Allen and Moss get the rushing TDs, and I bet that happens often. 

Bills fan here - This is a really good summary for why I am down on him as well. I love Singletary as a real-life football player.. a steady, solid starting NFL RB. He's the shiftiest back in all of football for my money alongside Kamara. Watch some of his tape, the 1st guy almost never gets a clean shot at him, he's unbelievably elusive (3rd highest juke rate in 2019) and has a knack for finding open spaces for chunk plays.

That's where the positives end, however. Singletary was routinely pulled inside the red zone last year. He had only 3 total carries from inside the 10 (2 inside the 5) for 1 TD. For comparison sake, Gore had 18 carries inside the 10 (11 inside the 5) for only 2 TDs, Allen 11 carries/8 TDs. The fact that the Bills continued to trust their bruiser in Gore to pound it in, despite his crazy inefficiency, doesn't bode well for their comfortability for Singletary to get a much bigger chunk of that valuable 10-zone pie, though I'm sure he will get more than a measly 3 carries. This may be due to his size (Moss has 2 inches and 20 pounds on him) or his fumbling problem (4 fumbles in 180 touches). Also, the Bills say they want to involve him more in the pass game, but Allen has the lowest checkdown rate in the entire NFL since he entered the league, not to mention he was pretty inefficient as a pass-catcher last year. He'll be solid between the 20s, and possibly turn some of those chunk plays into long TDs which he did not do last year, but you're banking on that to happen if you take him at his current ADP.

People ripping on Moss simply to further their Singletary narrative are misguided. Sure, he will get the de-facto Gore role, but he's so much better right now than Gore was in 2019, and certainly has an opportunity to take a higher chunk of snaps/carries than Gore because he can catch passes and is simply more dynamic. He's really not just a short-yardage bruiser. Moss was an advanced analytic darling as a prospect and some of the most respected draft analysts had him above some of the more renowned RB prospects before settling in as the consensus RB6 (PFF had him as the #2 back in the draft). They both share 3rd round draft capital so there's little financial incentive to force-feed one over the other.

Edited by Olliemets
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

id say to those owners:  you had an unrealistic expectation of Singletary to begin with.   He’s not going to be a 300 touch top 10 Rb.   Never was-  regardless of his backup.   Nor is he drafted as such.   IF Moss can pickup pass pro and runs effectively inside...he will get the 2019 gore role.   That’s the ceiling for this season,  not the floor.   Gore did so much well and needed little correction or coaching.  You can trust him implicitly to make the right reads for important blocks and yardage.   Rookies will almost certainly make more errors.   

The handwringing over moss will soon be proven unnecessary.  Motor is simply dynamic and his absence on the field will get harder for Buff to stomach as the season goes on.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

12 for 72 and 4 catches for 45 won't be so bad as my RB2

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

12 for 72 and 4 catches for 45 won't be so bad as my RB2

Sure, but considering in 2019 he averaged 2.4 rec for 16 yds per game, expecting 4/45  per game in 2020 seems somewhat unrealistic, particularly with the addition of Stefon Diggs.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Sure, but considering in 2019 he averaged 2.4 rec for 16 yds per game, expecting 4/45  per game in 2020 seems somewhat unrealistic, particularly with the addition of Stefon Diggs.

He missed what? 4 games?

I expect a 2nd year leap. He looks like a 1,000 yards rusher to me. He should be able to reach 40-45 receptions. A couple down games are to be expected with all but the elite RBs so I think that is baked into his adp. 

Buffalo runs a ton and has a fierce defense so should be grinding out the clock quite a bit. I'm expecting fairly consistent RB2 numbers week to week with a couple stinkers thrown in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

He missed what? 4 games?

I expect a 2nd year leap. He looks like a 1,000 yards rusher to me. He should be able to reach 40-45 receptions. A couple down games are to be expected with all but the elite RBs so I think that is baked into his adp. 

Buffalo runs a ton and has a fierce defense so should be grinding out the clock quite a bit. I'm expecting fairly consistent RB2 numbers week to week with a couple stinkers thrown in.

Agreed.  Don't get that hate when all but 3 or 4 are true AND effective bell cows. Seen him go after Kareem Hunt which is just criminal. Targeting him for sure.

2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Bills fan here - This is a really good summary for why I am down on him as well. I love Singletary as a real-life football player.. a steady, solid starting NFL RB. He's the shiftiest back in all of football for my money alongside Kamara. Watch some of his tape, the 1st guy almost never gets a clean shot at him, he's unbelievably elusive (3rd highest juke rate in 2019) and has a knack for finding open spaces for chunk plays.

That's where the positives end, however. Singletary was routinely pulled inside the red zone last year. He had only 3 total carries from inside the 10 (2 inside the 5) for 1 TD. For comparison sake, Gore had 18 carries inside the 10 (11 inside the 5) for only 2 TDs, Allen 11 carries/8 TDs. The fact that the Bills continued to trust their bruiser in Gore to pound it in, despite his crazy inefficiency, doesn't bode well for their comfortability for Singletary to get a much bigger chunk of that valuable 10-zone pie, though I'm sure he will get more than a measly 3 carries. This may be due to his size (Moss has 2 inches and 20 pounds on him) or his fumbling problem (4 fumbles in 180 touches). Also, the Bills say they want to involve him more in the pass game, but Allen has the lowest checkdown rate in the entire NFL since he entered the league, not to mention he was pretty inefficient as a pass-catcher last year. He'll be solid between the 20s, and possibly turn some of those chunk plays into long TDs which he did not do last year, but you're banking on that to happen if you take him at his current ADP.

People ripping on Moss simply to further their Singletary narrative are misguided. Sure, he will get the de-facto Gore role, but he's so much better right now than Gore was in 2019, and certainly has an opportunity to take a higher chunk of snaps/carries than Gore because he can catch passes and is simply more dynamic. He's really not just a short-yardage bruiser. Moss was an advanced analytic darling as a prospect and some of the most respected draft analysts had him above some of the more renowned RB prospects before settling in as the consensus RB6 (PFF had him as the #2 back in the draft). They both share 3rd round draft capital so there's little financial incentive to force-feed one over the other.

I'm loving all the Moss love and saying they are equals because the draft capital is the same. The draft capital argument for a player that flashed means so much less.  Singletary balled out.  You don't need GL carries (5 yards or less) to return RB2 value especially in PPR which most leagues are.

What is the basis for thinking he will get pulled once in the red zone?  Nothing?

59 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I'm loving all the Moss love and saying they are equals because the draft capital is the same. The draft capital argument for a player that flashed means so much less.  Singletary balled out.  You don't need GL carries (5 yards or less) to return RB2 value especially in PPR which most leagues are.

What is the basis for thinking he will get pulled once in the red zone?  Nothing?

Well I'd say the basis is that he got 3 carries inside the 10 last year vs Gore's 18 and Allen's 11, and the constant updates from the coaching staff and beat writers confirming that Moss will take on the Gore role. What's your basis to think he won't get pulled, his college days?

Moss doesn't even have to be better than Singletary (though I think there's a good chance he is), I'm just predicting that Moss will be far more productive than Gore was last year (You don't have be faster than the bear, you have to be faster than the guy next to you) and will force Singletary off the field more than Gore did. Now, this abbreviated offseason may allow Singletary to dominate touches/snaps early, but I am confident that it will be a full-blown RBBC as the season wares on with a chance that Moss is the lead back by season's end. 

All this PPR talk I don't get. Singletary dominated passing downs down the stretch and still didn't provide much, in fact he was wildly inefficient. Found this stat on Twitter today: of the 48 RBs who has 25 or more targets in 2019, Singletary ranked 43rd in Catch% and 45th in Yards per Target. In their final college seasons, Singletary had 6 REC/16 TGT for 36 yards at Florida Atlantic;  Moss had 28 REC/29 TGT for 388 yards at Utah. Coupled with a QB who has the lowest checkdown rate in all of football, I wouldn't be targeting this backfield hoping for a ton of receiving volume.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Well I'd say the basis is that he got 3 carries inside the 10 last year vs Gore's 18 and Allen's 11, and the constant updates from the coaching staff and beat writers confirming that Moss will take on the Gore role. What's your basis to think he won't get pulled, his college days?

Moss doesn't even have to be better than Singletary (though I think there's a good chance he is), I'm just predicting that Moss will be far more productive than Gore was last year (You don't have be faster than the bear, you have to be faster than the guy next to you) and will force Singletary off the field more than Gore did. Now, this abbreviated offseason may allow Singletary to dominate touches/snaps early, but I am confident that it will be a full-blown RBBC as the season wares on with a chance that Moss is the lead back by season's end. 

All this PPR talk I don't get. Singletary dominated passing downs down the stretch and still didn't provide much, in fact he was wildly inefficient. Found this stat on Twitter today: of the 48 RBs who has 25 or more targets in 2019, Singletary ranked 43rd in Catch% and 45th in Yards per Target. In their final college seasons, Singletary had 6 REC/16 TGT for 36 yards at Florida Atlantic;  Moss had 28 REC/29 TGT for 388 yards at Utah. Coupled with a QB who has the lowest checkdown rate in all of football, I wouldn't be targeting this backfield hoping for a ton of receiving volume.

Heard the same arguments for Darrell Henderson last year.

What if Moss comes in and can't hand the speed or size of NFL linemen and LBers rushing?

Moss was a shell of himself in 2019 vs 2018 before his knee injury. Not picking up short yardage downs, getting chased down from behind frequently.  How do you reconcile that? 

Is he to return to his 2018 for pre knee injury form to steal loafs of work from Singletary as a rookie?

20 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Heard the same arguments for Darrell Henderson last year.

What if Moss comes in and can't hand the speed or size of NFL linemen and LBers rushing?

Moss was a shell of himself in 2019 vs 2018 before his knee injury. Not picking up short yardage downs, getting chased down from behind frequently.  How do you reconcile that? 

Is he to return to his 2018 for pre knee injury form to steal loafs of work from Singletary as a rookie?

What arguments did you hear about Darrell Henderson as it relates to my argument? While it’s wildly irrelevant to this, I’m still curious lol.

Not sure what you mean by a shell of himself, he rushed for 1096/6.1 avg/11 TDs in 2018 and 1416/6.0 avg/15 TDs in 2019. Also, the knee injury was a meniscus tear which is not normally seen as an injury that would affect a player long-term.

The “what if” argument is a bit of a reach given rookie RBs come into the NFL and feast right off the bat every single season, and I’d argue it’s the easiest position to transition from college to the pros, but I’ll answer it anyway:

What if he’s not fast enough? Their combine 40s are basically the same (4.65 Moss/4.66 Singletary) and Moss was running on a pulled hammy. He ran a 4.52 3 weeks later. 

Not strong enough/won’t pick up short yardage downs? He hasn’t played a snap so I can’t answer that in good faith, but he looked pretty great in that facet in college.  He had 4.45 Yards after Contact, arguably the most  important stat for RBs transitioning to the league, which was highest in the FBS! Also, 2nd in missed tackles in all of college football with less of a workload than some of his draft contemporaries (235 carries vs 320/318/301 for Taylor/Dillon/Dobbins). He also has 2 inches and 20 lbs on Singletary.

I’m a Bills fan who loves this pairing, mainly the fact that the team went the route of taking 2 complimentary day-2 backs rather than burning a 1st rounder/paying the Melvin Gordon’s of the world to come to town. I just don’t think Singletary is worth his adp with a beast like Moss ready to take some work. If you’re still going to dismiss him as a plodder/not a threat, I really don’t know what else to tell you. 

• Like 3

Thanks for these excellent and informative posts, Olliemets!  I for one will be steering clear of Singletary if I can, even though I do like him as a player.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

What arguments did you hear about Darrell Henderson as it relates to my argument? While it’s wildly irrelevant to this, I’m still curious lol.

Not sure what you mean by a shell of himself, he rushed for 1096/6.1 avg/11 TDs in 2018 and 1416/6.0 avg/15 TDs in 2019. Also, the knee injury was a meniscus tear which is not normally seen as an injury that would affect a player long-term.

The “what if” argument is a bit of a reach given rookie RBs come into the NFL and feast right off the bat every single season, and I’d argue it’s the easiest position to transition from college to the pros, but I’ll answer it anyway:

What if he’s not fast enough? Their combine 40s are basically the same (4.65 Moss/4.66 Singletary) and Moss was running on a pulled hammy. He ran a 4.52 3 weeks later. 

Not strong enough/won’t pick up short yardage downs? He hasn’t played a snap so I can’t answer that in good faith, but he looked pretty great in that facet in college.  He had 4.45 Yards after Contact, arguably the most  important stat for RBs transitioning to the league, which was highest in the FBS! Also, 2nd in missed tackles in all of college football with less of a workload than some of his draft contemporaries (235 carries vs 320/318/301 for Taylor/Dillon/Dobbins). He also has 2 inches and 20 lbs on Singletary.

I’m a Bills fan who loves this pairing, mainly the fact that the team went the route of taking 2 complimentary day-2 backs rather than burning a 1st rounder/paying the Melvin Gordon’s of the world to come to town. I just don’t think Singletary is worth his adp with a beast like Moss ready to take some work. If you’re still going to dismiss him as a plodder/not a threat, I really don’t know what else to tell you. 

Moss doesn't even have to be better than Singletary (though I think there's a good chance he is), I'm just predicting that Moss will be far more productive than Gore was last year (You don't have be faster than the bear, you have to be faster than the guy next to you) and will force Singletary off the field more than Gore did. Now, this abbreviated offseason may allow Singletary to dominate touches/snaps early, but I am confident that it will be a full-blown RBBC as the season wares on with a chance that Moss is the lead back by season's end. 

^^^^ heard about Darrell henderson last offseason where all draft picks are rainbows and butterflies until reality sets in.

Beware the preseason hype over the proven commodity.

He got injured in 2018.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Thanks for these excellent and informative posts, Olliemets!  I for one will be steering clear of Singletary if I can, even though I do like him as a player.

Speaks volumes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

Splitting hairs I guess but I was referring more to between the 20 yard line and the 10.  He can easily get about 4-5 touchdowns with some 10+ yard runs/catches and a few GL touches.

As far as PPR upside, I agreed about check downs but I could absolutely see them doing designed routes with his open field ability.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Speaks volumes...

I don’t get it - is this a reference to the volume of “45 receptions” that Singletary won’t be receiving this year, what with Moss and Checkdown-averse Charlie at QB?

Maybe Henry will - this could be the year, baby!

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I don’t get it - is this a reference to the volume of “45 receptions” that Singletary won’t be receiving this year, what with Moss and Checkdown-averse Charlie at QB?

Maybe Henry will - this could be the year, baby!

This is the Devin Singletary thread, why are you bringing up Henry? I prefer to stay on subject.

Singletary had 29 catches in 12 games last season that's an average of 2.4 catches per game. If he does that for 16 games he would have 40 receptions but I think he does better so 45 or more is reachable and realistic. 

Singletary appears locked and loaded for a solid RB2 season. 

I don't know who check down charlie is. Josh Allen is the Buffalo QB and will target Singletary around 60 times this season.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This is the Devin Singletary thread, why are you bringing up Henry? I prefer to stay on subject.

Singletary had 29 catches in 12 games last season that's an average of 2.4 catches per game. If he does that for 16 games he would have 40 receptions but I think he does better so 45 or more is reachable and realistic. 

Singletary appears locked and loaded for a solid RB2 season. 

I don't know who check down charlie is. Josh Allen is the Buffalo QB and will target Singletary around 60 times this season.

Says the man bringing up Darrell.  Henderson.  (I think you understand why I brought up Henry in this context, btw.)

Anyway, back to the point: I’m not saying it’s outside the realm of possibility that Singletary catches that many passes, I’m just saying I don’t see it.  Gore missed time last year with injury, during which Singletary thrived down the final stretch.  But despite participating in every game as the nominal lead back, he only received a grand total of 16 targets all season.  Singletary - despite playing most of the year and serving as the de facto lead back at the end of the season, totaled 41 targets.  This means that even if you take the starting RB tandem of the Bills as a whole, they still didn’t reach the “60 targets” you’re projecting this year for Singletary alone.  And this doesn’t even address the fact (mentioned above) that Moss was simply a better and more prolific pass-catcher than Singletary in college - and a heck of a lot better than Gore 2019 model.

Believe whatever you’d like, but for the sake of all others reading this thread, please don’t expect Singletary to be targeted anywhere near 60 times for 40+ receptions.  He’s a fine fringe RB2, but he offers next to nothing in the way of PPR upside.

Edited by BMcP

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Says the man bringing up Darrell.  Henderson.  (I think you understand why I brought up Henry in this context, btw.)

Anyway, back to the point: I’m not saying it’s outside the realm of possibility that Singletary catches that many passes, I’m just saying I don’t see it.  Gore missed time last year with injury, during which Singletary thrived down the final stretch.  But despite participating in every game as the nominal lead back, he only received a grand total of 16 targets all season.  Singletary - despite playing most of the year and serving as the de facto lead back at the end of the season, totaled 41 targets.  This means that even if you take the starting RB tandem of the Bills as a whole, they still didn’t reach the “60 targets” you’re projecting this year for Singletary alone.  And this doesn’t even the address the fact (mentioned above) that Moss was simply a better and more prolific pass-catcher than Singletary in college.

Believe whatever you’d like, but for the sake of all others reading this thread, please don’t expect Singletary to be targeted anywhere near 60 times for 40+ receptions.  He’s a fine fringe RB2, but he offers next to nothing in the way of PPR upside.

I'm going based off his stats last year.

29 catches in 12 games. How and why is 40 catches unreasonable?

Avoid him if you want. Other sensible owners appreciate my hot takes.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm going based off his stats last year.

29 catches in 12 games. How and why is 40 catches unreasonable?

Avoid him if you want. Other sensible owners appreciate my hot takes.

Because even if you extrapolate Singletary’s targets over a full season, with a lead back who was basically a zero in the passing game, he still wouldn’t have had 60 targets.  And in multiple games, Singletary served as the primary tailback and Gore was basically a non-factor.  Factor in his poor catch percentage and the fact that the team spent a lot of draft capital on a lead back more adept at pass-catching, and the chances of 60 happening drops even further.

I agree it’s one of the hotter takes I’ve seen of yours - I wish you luck with it.

Edited by BMcP