Rotoworld.com Forums

Damien Williams 2020 Outlook

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol this JAG won't gonna have a job to come back to. bye felicia!

Given that he almost (and should have) won SB MVP there should be a lot of confidence in Williams. I think this is more of a luxury pick by Reid and sounds like he's a big fan of CEH, rather than a in

Lol. The profile of Damien Williams is nothing more than scrub.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Interesting prediction before they even hold the NFL draft

Damien Williams is being massively undervalued heading into 2020. Sure, 2019 was a disappointment, but much of that was due to Reid’s affinity for an aged Lesean McCoy and injuries to Williams. After an impressive post season, and being a legitimate candidate for Super Bowl MVP, the Chiefs picked up the option on Williams which means he’s in line to be the lead back on arguably the best offense in the NFL. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Damien Williams is being massively undervalued heading into 2020. Sure, 2019 was a disappointment, but much of that was due to Reid’s affinity for an aged Lesean McCoy and injuries to Williams. After an impressive post season, and being a legitimate candidate for Super Bowl MVP, the Chiefs picked up the option on Williams which means he’s in line to be the lead back on arguably the best offense in the NFL. 

Unless KC drafts a RB in rd 2 or 3...

14 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Yes...IF they don’t draft an early RB.

I don’t think they will. Why should they? They already have a RB in Williams who seems to fit the offense very well, they drafted Darwin Thompson last year whom the fantasy community was gaga over, plus Darrell Williams who seems like a capable backup. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
7 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I don’t think they will. Why should they? They already have a RB in Williams who seems to fit the offense very well, they drafted Darwin Thompson last year whom the fantasy community was gaga over, plus Darrell Williams who seems like a capable backup. 

Would you be concerned if they did choose a RB in the 2/3 rounds?

DW returned to being awesome for them as soon as soon as he was healthy and receiving starter snaps.  Many would credibly argue he should’ve been the SB MVP.  They return him, Darrel, and Darwin - will they use of their early five picks on a RB?  It seems unlikely.  Even if they did, I wouldn’t devalue DW very much.

2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I don’t think they will either, but we don’t KNOW they won’t.

It’s certainly possible KC drafts a RB early, which would obviously be a significant hit on Williams value. But even if they do draft a RB relatively early, that doesn’t mean he immediately leapfrogs Williams into the lead RB role. KC needs an experienced RB in the backfield who understands the offense and can protect Mahomes. They’re not going to trust a rookie in that role until he earns it. If Williams picks up where he left off in 2019, Reid won’t be in any rush to take him off the field for a rookie and risk a missed blocking assignment.

It’s also very possible KC is content with their RBs and they don’t draft any significant threat to Williams in 2020. Either way, Williams should be KC’s lead RB in 2020, and imo he’s currently being undervalued by the fantasy community in general, based on my observations in the trade market.

In dynasty/keeper leagues it might be a great opportunity to acquire the Chiefs lead RB at at a price below true value, and pre-draft scare tactics could be a great way to get it done. 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Like 1

KC won't draft a RB they have a super crowded backfield as it already is. They got both Williams bros, Thompson and newly signed DeAndre Washington ex - Raiders. Chiefs will draft someone on defense instead. 

20 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Dwill is going to be apart oof RBBC again. He is going to be severely over drafted and hyped again by July. 

Nobody is expecting Damien Williams to outscore workhorses like Zeke, CMac, Cook, Henry, etc. That’s the difference between last year and this year. Last year some expected Williams to be fantasy elite. This year, expectations should be lowered, but not extremely so.

After those 10 or so (if that) workhorses are off the board, all you’re left with are RBBC guys to some extent. At a quick glance, there are roughly 15 RBs I’d draft before Williams, making him a clear cut fantasy RB2, yet he’s currently valued far below that. Almost not valued at all, which is weird considering he’s proven that he can be a very productive fantasy RB as part of a committee on arguably the best offense in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

can the chiefs even afford to pay another RB? The team has needs on defense and the need for another starting caliber lineman. Dwill is going to be apart oof RBBC again. The Chiefs have to pay Jones and Mahomes. He is going to be severely over drafted and hyped again by July. 

Can they afford to? Yes. Rookie contracts aren't that expensive.

The Chiefs are going to need to replenish their backfield with cheap rookie talent and Darwin Thompson didn't go as planned last season. I could see them drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't necessarily think that RB would instantly become the starter and another Hunt if they did draft a RB early though. Any drafted RB will need to prove they can pass protect and catch the ball well to see extensive playing time in KC.

I don't know if he can last a 16 game season to help your fantasy team make it to and then win the playoffs

I agree his talent is drool worthy. He helped KC win a super bowl but guess how many fantasy teams that helped?  Answer: 0

He was only relevant for about 3 or 4 games last season.

If you can expect similar useage this year he is an easy pass.

I just don't think his body can keep up with his talent with his likelihood to miss multiple games he is probably a RB3/flex in my opinion.

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I don't know if he can last a 16 game season to help your fantasy team make it to and then win the playoffs

I agree his talent is drool worthy. He helped KC win a super bowl but guess how many fantasy teams that helped?  Answer: 0

He was only relevant for about 3 or 4 games last season.

If you can expect similar useage this year he is an easy pass.

I just don't think his body can keep up with his talent with his likelihood to miss multiple games he is probably a RB3/flex in my opinion.

Which RBs would you take ahead of him?

7 minutes ago, devaster said:

Can they afford to? Yes. Rookie contracts aren't that expensive.

The Chiefs are going to need to replenish their backfield with cheap rookie talent and Darwin Thompson didn't go as planned last season. I could see them drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't necessarily think that RB would instantly become the starter and another Hunt if they did draft a RB early though. Any drafted RB will need to prove they can pass protect and catch the ball well to see extensive playing time in KC.

I agree, would it be a big deal to just cut Darrell Williams after signing DeAndre Washington?

Draft a rookie, so you got Damien Williams/Rookie as the 1 and 2, DeAndre Washington #3, Darwin Thompson #4

1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Which RBs would you take ahead of him?

Of course I want to see who, if anybody KC drafts at RB but for now I would take, in no particular order:

CMC, Barkley, Zeke, Henry, Mixon, Aaron Jones, Kenyan Drake, D. Cook, Chubb, Fournette, Carson, M. Sanders, Ingram, L. Bell, J. Jacobs, M. Gordon, Mostert, Devin Singletary, Kareem Hunt, Darrell Henderson.

maybe I'd draft before Damien Williams:

Justin Jackson, Boston Scott, Jordan Howard, David Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Nyhiem Hines, Sony Michel, David Montgomery, Todd Gurley and it would be interesting to see where D. Freeman ends up signing. 

its not Damien Williams talent that I question, it's merely his durability. I left Kerryon Johnson off that list for the exact same reason.

I wonder what his fantasy points per touch were last season. He used to lead the league in that stat which was supposed to lead him to fantasy dominance. Sure he had good games when he was used as a lead back last year but what RB didn’t do good for KC last year when getting big touches. Shady had good games Daryl Williams had a few Damien had a few. Whoever they decide to utilize will be good. 

@elroypedro

You definitely need an insurance policy for DW - probably in the form of a mid-to-low-end RB2.  But he projects as a clear-cut RB1 whenever healthy.