Lamont Sanford

Damien Williams 2020 Outlook

10 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I wonder what his fantasy points per touch were last season. He used to lead the league in that stat which was supposed to lead him to fantasy dominance. Sure he had good games when he was used as a lead back last year but what RB didn’t do good for KC last year when getting big touches. Shady had good games Daryl Williams had a few Damien had a few. Whoever they decide to utilize will be good. 

@elroypedro

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/fantasy/story/0ap3000001105765/article/fantasy-points-per-touch-running-backs%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.fantasy&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=team%3Dten%3Bteam%3Dhou%3Bteam%3Dcar%3Bteam%3Dind%3Bteam%3Dbal%3Bteam%3Dchi%3Bteam%3Darz%3Bteam%3Dphi%3Bteam%3Dmin%3Bteam%3Dpit%3Bteam%3Dclv%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dacs%3Bdvsn%3Dncs%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bdvsn%3Dncn%3Bdvsn%3Dncw%3Bdvsn%3Dnce%3Bplyr%3Dlesean_mccoy%3Bplyr%3Dmark_ingram%3Bplyr%3Dboston_scott%3Bevent%3Dfantasy&p.ct=Fantasy%2bNews&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

He's a tough one to rate.   He's not so talented where it's clear they're going to stick with him the full year.   If Aaron Jones was the KC back, I think he'd be the 1.01 or 1.02.   But imo, he's a less talented back that could be usurped if anyone else shows something.  It's the same dilemma as drafting him last year.

34 minutes ago, K197040 said:

He's a tough one to rate.   He's not so talented where it's clear they're going to stick with him the full year.   If Aaron Jones was the KC back, I think he'd be the 1.01 or 1.02.   But imo, he's a less talented back that could be usurped if anyone else shows something.  It's the same dilemma as drafting him last year.

No one currently on the roster is going to unseat him as the primary back.  In the event that KC strangely decided to go RB with its first pick, that might cause me to reconsider.  But there’s really no reason for them to do that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

No one currently on the roster is going to unseat him as the primary back.  In the event that KC strangely decided to go RB with its first pick, that might cause me to reconsider.  But there’s really no reason for them to do that.

I agree with this for the most part.  But they weren't enthralled with him before last season.  I can see them giving the other guys more chances.  I don't know that they can unseat Williams but I'm also not sure that they can't.    At least enough to cut down on his touches.

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

I agree with this for the most part.  But they weren't enthralled with him before last season.  I can see them giving the other guys more chances.  I don't know that they can unseat Williams but I'm also not sure that they can't.    At least enough to cut down on his touches.

Yes, I agree that “enthralled” would be going a bit too far - Reid himself said he envisioned a committee going into last season.  But you don’t really need DW to have a ton of touches in order to provide RB1 output.  He clearly reminded everyone of why he was the presumptive starter towards the end of last season.  His value will ultimately depend on his ability to stay healthy - which I’ll admit is an open question.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 7:34 PM, joshua18 said:

No, someone actually good.  If Reid drafts a RB, that tells you a lot about DWill’s present and future there.

At least DWill’s price should go way down now.  CEH is the perfect Andy Reid RB.

3 hours ago, DeliciousGravy said:

RIP DWill Hype Train 2019 - 2020 

Not sure what you mean by this.  CEH and D.Will will both play and put up huge numbers in the most prolific offense in fantasy.

44 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Not sure what you mean by this.  CEH and D.Will will both play and put up huge numbers in the most prolific offense in fantasy.

I think both RBs will be productive this year too.  I imagine as we've seen before, CEH's price will probably end up in the second/third round as he gets over hyped this off-season and William's price will sink down to where he's a great value.  Most likely going to pass on CEH this year at his price and targeting Williams everywhere later.

• Like 1

It seems like some folks are expecting him to fade entirely into the background and CEH to become a workhorse given Andy's tendencies.

Given the profile of both guys, I'd suspect it looks more like a NE type situation where you have a pass catching back and a carries back.  

On 4/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, Rush2112 said:

KC won't draft a RB they have a super crowded backfield as it already is. They got both Williams bros, Thompson and newly signed DeAndre Washington ex - Raiders. Chiefs will draft someone on defense instead. 

lol

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think the Chiefs taking an RB in the 1st round right after winning a SB is a sign of confidence in Williams. But he should still have some productive weeks early on in the season.

Edited by sSektor

8 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It seems like some folks are expecting him to fade entirely into the background and CEH to become a workhorse given Andy's tendencies.

Given the profile of both guys, I'd suspect it looks more like a NE type situation where you have a pass catching back and a carries back.  

Lol. The profile of Damien Williams is nothing more than scrub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I don't think the Chiefs taking an RB in the 1st round right after winning a SB is a sign of confidence in Williams. But he should still have some productive weeks early on in the season.

Given that he almost (and should have) won SB MVP there should be a lot of confidence in Williams. I think this is more of a luxury pick by Reid and sounds like he's a big fan of CEH, rather than a indictment of Williams.

• Like 2

Chiefs RBs coach Deland McCullough expects a "big jump" from Damien Williams this season. 

“Just listening to the way Damien spoke about himself and the things we’re doing and the things he’s going to do to improve, I think his maturation in this offense is going to be a big jump this year," was McCullough's full quote. All the focus has been on Clyde Edwards-Helaire since he came off the board on Night 1 of the draft, but it is very much up for debate if the diminutive LSU product is readymade for an early-down role in the NFL. CEH is a dynamite pass catcher, but Williams also excels in that area. Coach Andy Reid was comfortable with a committee in 2019. Especially in the context of the coronavirus-shortened offseason, it should not be surprising if Reid heads that direction again. CEH's ADP is a leap of faith.  

Been loving snagging DWill in the 10th-11th in drafts lately. Late 2nd-3rd for CEH is way too rich for my blood, but certainly understandable if you believe he'll be the lead dog - I just don't see it this season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Chiefs RBs coach Deland McCullough expects a "big jump" from Damien Williams this season. 

“Just listening to the way Damien spoke about himself and the things we’re doing and the things he’s going to do to improve, I think his maturation in this offense is going to be a big jump this year," was McCullough's full quote. All the focus has been on Clyde Edwards-Helaire since he came off the board on Night 1 of the draft, but it is very much up for debate if the diminutive LSU product is readymade for an early-down role in the NFL. CEH is a dynamite pass catcher, but Williams also excels in that area. Coach Andy Reid was comfortable with a committee in 2019. Especially in the context of the coronavirus-shortened offseason, it should not be surprising if Reid heads that direction again. CEH's ADP is a leap of faith.  

Been loving snagging DWill in the 10th-11th in drafts lately. Late 2nd-3rd for CEH is way too rich for my blood, but certainly understandable if you believe he'll be the lead dog - I just don't see it this season.

How is DWill available that late? I’ve seen him in the 7th in high-stakes drafts.

32 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

How is DWill available that late? I’ve seen him in the 7th in high-stakes drafts.

Some of those Yahoo leagues are free cash.

Last time I checked early last week, I believe his ADP was ~110 on Yahoo, so around 9th-10th round for 12-teamers, 10th-11th for 10-teamers.

People are starting to catch on though in realizing the ADP disparity - he's already creeped up to 90.image.png.23e141aa393eead383ef744b2b0454ef.png

Yeah, I think he’s a 7th/8th rounder in the Howard/Sony/RoJo/Vaughn/Dobbins area with Hunt, Swift and probably Akers already gone. Probably missing a guy or two. He’s definitely going to be a nice early season piece with potential to stick as an RB2/flex throughout the season. Gotta love the situation he’s in with the shortened offseason making it harder on CEH to come along. 

are you taking any of those RBs I listed above him? I think if one the Tampa guys wins majority or Dobbins takes over/Ingram goes down they have more upside, but that’s about it, and even then, those are big ifs for 2020. 

14 minutes ago, aapox said:

Yeah, I think he’s a 7th/8th rounder in the Howard/Sony/RoJo/Vaughn/Dobbins area with Hunt, Swift and probably Akers already gone. Probably missing a guy or two. He’s definitely going to be a nice early season piece with potential to stick as an RB2/flex throughout the season. Gotta love the situation he’s in with the shortened offseason making it harder on CEH to come along. 

are you taking any of those RBs I listed above him? I think if one the Tampa guys wins majority or Dobbins takes over/Ingram goes down they have more upside, but that’s about it, and even then, those are big ifs for 2020. 

I’d easily take him over all of them in redraft. In dynasty he’s a cheap RB1 until CEH takes over.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I’d easily take him over all of them in redraft. In dynasty he’s a cheap RB1 until CEH takes over.

Thanks for the input and reply! how about compared to Hunt, Swift, and Akers -- or who do you have as the last couple guys you'd take before D-Will?

52 minutes ago, aapox said:

Thanks for the input and reply! how about compared to Hunt, Swift, and Akers -- or who do you have as the last couple guys you'd take before D-Will?

D-Will - even in re-draft - remains one of the most undervalued players at his position. My advice would be to take advantage while you can before the inevitable market correction.

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

D-Will - even in re-draft - remains one of the most undervalued players at his position. My advice would be to take advantage while you can before the inevitable market correction.

Agreed. Once training camp starts and he takes all the first team reps, his ADP is going to skyrocket.

• Like 1