dontclapGonorrhea

Joe Mixon 2020 Outlook

The Athletic's Paul Dehner writes contract-year RB Joe Mixon is "prepared for a holdout" if he and the Bengals can't agree to a long-term deal.

Mixon is headed into the final year of his rookie deal, which is set to pay him just over $1.2 million.  He's obviously insanely underpaid, and Mixon knows the deal with running backs -- their shelf life is short, so he needs to capitalize when able.  24 in July, Mixon is coming off yet another 1,000-yard season after piling up a huge second half following the Week 9 bye.  Mixon had 100 yards and/or one touchdown in 6-of-8 games down the stretch in 2019.  However, we've seen how holdouts go with running backs.  It could be a risky line to walk for Mixon.  It is notable the Bengals have been willing to spend money this offseason.

Mixon really turned his season around once they finally started utilizing him. Do the Bengals draft a rb now or do they just pay the man some money. He is my number one target in round 2. Thinking he carries the trend if he doesn't hold out and finishes in the top 5 this year. 

OL should be improved. They have a 1st round pick Jonah Williams didn't even get to play last season. I don't know about the rest but the rookie QB thing could be an issue.

• Like 1

I mean, we’re not talking about just any old rookie QB here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

OL should be improved. They have a 1st round pick Jonah Williams didn't even get to play last season. I don't know about the rest but the rookie QB thing could be an issue.

He's an unknown quantity in the NFL (as is Burrow).

I mean, they can't get much worse than last year.  But for this year at least, I'm not holding out much hope that they'll be all that good.  I'd suspect there are a few RBs that will go in his range in more stable offenses.

He's a talented dude, but so is Le'Veon Bell, and we saw what happened there with the Jets.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He's an unknown quantity in the NFL (as is Burrow).

I mean, they can't get much worse than last year.  But for this year at least, I'm not holding out much hope that they'll be all that good.  I'd suspect there are a few RBs that will go in his range in more stable offenses.

He's a talented dude, but so is Le'Veon Bell, and we saw what happened there with the Jets.

Yes - Bell still finished as the RB16 in PPR on a truly horrid team behind a terrible line.  Mixon outscored him and played with basically the worst combo of QB and O-line.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, BMcP said:

Yes - Bell still finished as the RB16 in PPR on a truly horrid team behind a terrible line.  Mixon outscored him and played with basically the worst combo of QB and O-line.

I don't play PPR, so your mileage may vary.

1210 total scrimmage yards and 4 total TDs doesn't do much for me as a second rounder.

I certainly think it's conceivable that Mixon could do better than that, like you said he did (slightly, 1424 and 8) last year and they should be a little better.

I'm just saying it diminishes his outlook for me in ways that guys who play for better offensive clubs don't.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

Just now, K197040 said:

The fire up your Model T and head over to the boomer forum.

Jeff Bridges Opinion GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

He has a floor of 1400/8. Any improvement around him and he could have a top 5 season. Burrow, O-line improvements and a healthy AJ Green could give him a boost.

Hopefully he gets extended soon.

16 hours ago, K197040 said:

The fire up your Model T and head over to the boomer forum.

Boomers were legally able to drive in the mid 60s to 80s. So realistically they would not be driving Model Ts as they were way out by then. If they were a cool boomer they’d drive like a Chevelle or Camaro. If not they’d probably drive any selection of the hideous excuses for a car AMC put out. 

Mixon will be the next Le'Veon Bell, Joe will sit out all of this year & be on a new team in 2021. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Mixon will be the next Le'Veon Bell, Joe will sit out all of this year & be on a new team in 2021. 

Potential Holdout — Some believe Mixon could holdout if the Bengals can’t sign him to an extension. It makes sense for the player to holdout in some situations because it’s the only leverage they have, but a holdout wouldn’t benefit him in this scenario.

Mixon is entering the fourth year of his rookie deal. He needs to report for training camp on time to accrue a full season under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. If he didn’t report to camp on time or left before its' conclusion, he wouldn’t earn a season, which would prevent him from becoming a free agent in 2021.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/joe-mixon-wont-benefit-from-holdout-bengals

4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Potential Holdout — Some believe Mixon could holdout if the Bengals can’t sign him to an extension. It makes sense for the player to holdout in some situations because it’s the only leverage they have, but a holdout wouldn’t benefit him in this scenario.

Mixon is entering the fourth year of his rookie deal. He needs to report for training camp on time to accrue a full season under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. If he didn’t report to camp on time or left before its' conclusion, he wouldn’t earn a season, which would prevent him from becoming a free agent in 2021.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/joe-mixon-wont-benefit-from-holdout-bengals

Sounds like no leverage to me.  I don't see how he can afford to sit out.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

On top of him not really having leverage, and recent history being unkind to RB holdouts, there is also a draft coming.  They can easily draft an insurance policy or even a direct replacement.  Its not as if the current coach picked him.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

On top of him not really having leverage, and recent history being unkind to RB holdouts, there is also a draft coming.  They can easily draft an insurance policy or even a direct replacement.  Its not as if the current coach picked him.  

Or *gulp* trade him.  

15 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Or *gulp* trade him.  

Yes, please... I know the Bengals are getting Burrow but getting as far away from Cincinnati as possible could only be good news for Mixon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Yes, please... I know the Bengals are getting Burrow but getting as far away from Cincinnati as possible could only be good news for Mixon.

Strongly disagree - he finished right on the cusp of RB1 status last season, and his production really started to come on in the second half - all while playing behind an atrocious O-line and contending with poor QB play.  Now with Burrow and an enhanced line, as well as a more clearly defined picture of his role in the Zac Taylor offense, I would easily project him as an RB1 in CIN.

Edited by BMcP

Fingers crossed this doesn't end up in a holdout.

• Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin said the team has "visited with" RB Joe Mixon about a long-term deal.

Tobin added, "Joe’s obviously a guy that’s shown a lot of ability ... He’s in a year that he can be extended, and he is a guy that we visited with. We’ll go through those discussions and see if there is a fit or a match for a long-term contract with him, obviously a guy we value quite a bit. The great thing about Joe is he goes about it the right way . . . He’s the type of guy you want to lock up to a long-term deal. We’ll see if we can find the commonality to get that done over time here.” Rumors have circulated that Mixon could be preparing to holdout if the team doesn't manage to get a long-term deal done. Mixon finished 2018 and 2019 as the fantasy PPR RB10 and RB13, respectively, despite splitting plenty of snaps with Giovani Bernard and operating behind one of the league's worst offensive lines. The expected addition of Joe Burrow, combined with the return of 2019 first-round OT Jonah Williams, should help both Mixon's touchdown equity and efficiency.

May 10, 2020, 10:46 AM ET

•  

12 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Meh. Staying away. Not seeing much.

IDK.   I think he's a safe pick as long as you're not reaching for him.    Which would be gross.   

But he's pretty safe imo for an RB1 finish with some upside.

• Like 2

Talent for days...even a moderately improved offense should solidify him as an RB1. 

nod33cv6qlg11.jpg

Copied this from the Melvin Gordon thread. Seeing these two side by side tells me all I need to know about Mixon. 

Give him a decent QB/O-line/complimentary players and I believe he is gonna have a BIG season.

'Course, there is still this whole potential holdout situation. That, obviously, would not be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

nod33cv6qlg11.jpg

Copied this from the Melvin Gordon thread. Seeing these two side by side tells me all I need to know about Mixon. 

Give him a decent QB/O-line/complimentary players and I believe he is gonna have a BIG season.

'Course, there is still this whole potential holdout situation. That, obviously, would not be good. 

Dude is a TANK.