dontclapGonorrhea

Joe Mixon 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, AlexxelA said:

is he a holdout possibility still?

There's like 0 chance now.

1 hour ago, AlexxelA said:

is he a holdout possibility still?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29553309/expect-nfl-training-camp-holdouts-2020-why-to-do-coronavirus

The traditional training camp holdout by a player entering the final year of his contract is not something you can expect to see much this year, and it has nothing to do with the coronavirus pandemic. The reason camp holdouts are mostly a thing of the past is what the league's new collective bargaining agreement, approved in March by owners and players, says about them. Here's the exact text in Article 8, Section 1(b):

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.

In the case of Mixon, there is no deal yet, but both parties are in negotiation, and both seem to be positive. It seems to me players don't have any leverage at all, which is definitely not to the advantage of RBs. I sort of expect players to figure out something new though, because at some point some team will try to squeeze a player too much (are you listing, Saints?) and something's gotta give.

But Mixon seems to be good. I also think he's great value, as I posted a couple days ago; the way the Bengals running game worked out towards the end of the season was a million times better than the start of 2019. He seems to be undervalued in some drafts, but I like him.

5 hours ago, sjm76 said:

If Joe Burrow lives up to his hype, he should help greatly as they also have A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd to prevent defenses from stacking the box against Mixon.  If Burrow ends up playing poorly then Mixon probably won't have a good year either because defenses will stack the box and dare Burrow to throw.

Defenses stacked the box on Mixon in the second half last year when he had horrid QB play. 

15 hours ago, The G Man said:

I would very happy to get Mixon with a late first round pick, and someone like Drake, Sanders, or J.Jacobs with an early second. 

This is exactly what I'm looking at (I'm 9th in a 12 team).

I like your movies, I like your style - Imgflip

I think Mixon is a fair value you late 1st. We haven't seen the elite upside but we know it's a possibility and while we saw a terrible floor in the first half of 2019 we still saw 1400 total yards by year end.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I pick at 9 and I just can't get myself to be excited about Mixon and I want to be a believer. The yardage was there but still only had 5 TD's in the second half of the season last year and 8TD's for the whole season. I guess he can't go anywhere but up though considering the offense can't be as bad as last years. I guess I've just been burned so many times in the past by talented players on bad teams. He just don't feel like a safe pick to me as your first round pick.

Edited by WVFalcon

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, WVFalcon said:

I pick at 9 and I just can't get myself to be excited about Mixon and I want to be a believer. The yardage was there but still only had 5 TD's in the second half of the season last year and 8TD's for the whole season. I guess he can't go anywhere but up though considering the offense can't be as bad as last years. I guess I've just been burned so many times in the past by talented players on bad teams. He just don't feel like a safe pick to me as your first round pick.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that. Ideally he's a 2nd rounder but because young workhorse RBs are so scarce he's going in the 1st round. Supply and demand. I wouldnt be so put off by Mixon to draft a WR over him in round 1. 

Edited by Evincar

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

There's nothing wrong with thinking that. Ideally he's a 2nd rounder but because young workhorse RBs are so scarce he's going in the 1st round. Supply and demand. I wouldnt be so put off by Mixon to draft a WR over him in round 1. 

If you have say, the 10th pick in a 12 teamer and you want Mixon I would take him rather than a wr at that spot because odds are you won't get him after the turn in the second round.  If Burrow ends up just being solid to keep defenses honest, he doesn't have to be Mahomes, Mixon should have a strong season.

Edited by sjm76

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

If you have say, the 10th pick in a 12 teamer and you want Mixon I would take him rather than a wr at that spot because odds are you won't get him after the turn in the second round.

Mixon wont fall past 15 in any draft. I think most people would be satisfied with their roster if they took Mixon over a WR. There's deadzone group of RBs like Gurley, Carson, Conner, Gordon who I would like to avoid and its hard to do that when going WR early.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

The line is just so bad. I want to believe though. 

This current line is going to be completely different from last year's line and it's almost exclusively because of 1 player and his ability to push others to play in positions they're better suited for. 

I'm not saying they will be good FWIW, but they will be much improved from last years absolutely horrible. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

This current line is going to be completely different from last year's line and it's almost exclusively because of 1 player and his ability to push others to play in positions they're better suited for. 

I'm not saying they will be good FWIW, but they will be much improved from last years absolutely horrible. 

This. The OL may not be good...but it'll be better than it was last year. And I do believe that Burrow will have growing pains, but I also believe he'll keep defenses a lot more honest than Dalton did. If defenses load the box, he will make them pay. 

I got this guy at pick #22 in a full PPR, and even though it was good value I just don't feel good about the Bengals or the offensive line situation.

6 hours ago, CamNewton said:

I got this guy at pick #22 in a full PPR, and even though it was good value I just don't feel good about the Bengals or the offensive line situation.

If you drafted him #22 in any format (especially if you drafted somewhat recently) and you're still complaining... *Feel free to insert here a variety of statements that could follow.*

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, young dude said:

If you drafted him #22 in any format (especially if you drafted somewhat recently) and you're still complaining... *Feel free to insert here a variety of statements that could follow.*

I'm not complaining at pick #22, but I would not take him in the first round or top end of the second. Joe Mixon is seen as the plague in my leagues though. Half of the owners I know dropped him in the first half of last season and want nothing to do for him this year.

Edited by CamNewton

13 hours ago, CamNewton said:

If the rookie Burrow is as good as advertised, Mixon should have a pretty big season because the passing game will open up things for him.  But if Burrow is a bust then there's a good chance that Mixon will be a bust, too.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

If the rookie Burrow is as good as advertised, Mixon should have a pretty big season because the passing game will open up things for him.  But if Burrow is a bust then there's a good chance that Mixon will be a bust, too.  

the problem is still the o-line. Sure it's prob going to be better than last year's abysmal showing, but it's still not good at all

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Chippa said:

the problem is still the o-line. Sure it's prob going to be better than last year's abysmal showing, but it's still not good at all

Despite the bad o-line play, Mixon still had some big games toward the end of last season though which gives me hope.

Edited by sjm76

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

Despite the bad o-line play, Mixon still had some big games toward the end of last season though which gives me hope.

that happened the year before too. That's just because it's the end of the season, and some teams stop putting in 100% effort

2 minutes ago, Chippa said:

that happened the year before too. That's just because it's the end of the season, and some teams stop putting in 100% effort

I don't know, we'll have to see what happens this season.  If Burrow ends up being even half as good as Patrick Mahomes was in his rookie season, Mixon should have a solid year.  The Bengals' offensive line should be better this season.

18 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I don't know, we'll have to see what happens this season.  If Burrow ends up being even half as good as Patrick Mahomes was in his rookie season, Mixon should have a solid year.  The Bengals' offensive line should be better this season.

Mahomes barely played as a rookie though. He had the luxury of being able to stand on the sidelines and observe and learn, along with getting a little time on the field. He had two full training camps before stepping on the field as the starter. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chippa said:

That sounds like conjecture to me. Mixon had a 156 yard game against the #1 defense in Foxborugh no less.

1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

Burrow would have to be worse than Dalton/Finley last season to negatively impact Mixons numbers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Mahomes barely played as a rookie though. He had the luxury of being able to stand on the sidelines and observe and learn, along with getting a little time on the field. He had two full training camps before stepping on the field as the starter. 

My bad.  Sometimes I forget that Mahomes broke out in his second season and not his rookie season.

We'll see how Burrow fares this year.  Hopefully well for the sake of Mixon owners.

Edited by sjm76

3 hours ago, Evincar said:

That sounds like conjecture to me. Mixon had a 156 yard game against the #1 defense in Foxborugh no less.

Burrow would have to be worse than Dalton/Finley last season to negatively impact Mixons numbers.

Just one quick correction, the game was not in Foxborough

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Evincar said:

game was in cincy, and the final score was pats 34-13. It's called garbage time. Congrats on racking up over 100 yards when your team is getting blown out. 

Logic wont work with you guys who are emotionally invested in certain players.

I'm a bengals fan, I love Mixon. But 90% if his big games come during garbage time, end of season, and against cleveland.

Edited by Chippa
  • Like 1