dontclapGonorrhea

Joe Mixon 2020 Outlook

In my view, these migraines are a really, really bad sign for his fantasy value whether or not they're real.  If they are, he'll be at risk of weekly inactives at the last second if he gets another headache.  Even multiple weeks (remember Percy Harvin?).  Or, someone in the Bengals organization makes the relatively easy connection between migraines and running full speed into defenders and they lighten his load to keep him healthy. 

If they're not real, then he's claiming he has "migraines" as a method of sitting out without incurring the penalties of the new CBA.  No one can prove he doesn't have a headache.  In this scenario, he realistically could sit out the whole year, accrue a season, get paid, and not get fined because you can't be penalized for injury under the CBA.  "Migraines" could be the new holdout.  Personally I doubt this scenario very much, but it is POSSIBLE.  

The optimistic view right now is that he is sitting out with "migraines" right now to send a message to management, but when the season starts, he'll be out there for his full workload.  It's certainly a plausible scenario.  Not one I'm betting a first/second round pick on.

No matter how you slice it, this is a big headache for fantasy players.  Still like him, but for me, can't take him above the 3rd round without some more clarity if I'm drafting this weekend.   Would be interested in other's thoughts.

• Like 1

It very well may be his way of holding out, and we know now that this organization isn't going to be forthcoming with information (see AJ Green last year with injury updates).  I personally would still take him at the end of the first or early second and whatever discount I would get is a bonus.  People who took a shot on Zeke last year were rewarded.

He doesn't have much of a leg to stand on in terms of holding out.  But yes, if he's injured, then he's injured and not really holding out.  Just taking a page from AJ Green's playbook.  The Bungles don't really have anybody behind him other than Gio.  They have a rookie QB on a contract who is cheap compared to starting QBs.  So the Bungles should be motivated to get something done if he's in their long-term plans.  

I'm hopeful something will be resolved and also hopeful these migraines aren't a continuing real problem.

25 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

In my view, these migraines are a really, really bad sign for his fantasy value whether or not they're real.  If they are, he'll be at risk of weekly inactives at the last second if he gets another headache.  Even multiple weeks (remember Percy Harvin?).  Or, someone in the Bengals organization makes the relatively easy connection between migraines and running full speed into defenders and they lighten his load to keep him healthy. 

If they're not real, then he's claiming he has "migraines" as a method of sitting out without incurring the penalties of the new CBA.  No one can prove he doesn't have a headache.  In this scenario, he realistically could sit out the whole year, accrue a season, get paid, and not get fined because you can't be penalized for injury under the CBA.  "Migraines" could be the new holdout.  Personally I doubt this scenario very much, but it is POSSIBLE.  

The optimistic view right now is that he is sitting out with "migraines" right now to send a message to management, but when the season starts, he'll be out there for his full workload.  It's certainly a plausible scenario.  Not one I'm betting a first/second round pick on.

No matter how you slice it, this is a big headache for fantasy players.  Still like him, but for me, can't take him above the 3rd round without some more clarity if I'm drafting this weekend.   Would be interested in other's thoughts.

A headache neurologist would need to diagnose a migraine for him to collect his money. If these aren’t real, there are medical ways to tell.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

A headache neurologist would need to diagnose a migraine for him to collect his money. If these aren’t real, there are medical ways to tell.

Ok that sounds reasonable.  But then, that's REALLY bad for his value.  The point of my post wasn't "don't draft this guy because he's faking headaches".  It was whether or not these migraines are real, it's bad.  And medically-documented migraines is one of the worst potential outcomes from this.  

So the question is: would a headache neurologist have seen him to verify the headaches at this point?  Or are they still taking his word for?  I'm going to guess it's the latter.  Soooooo we're back to where we started.  This isn't good.

39 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Ok that sounds reasonable.  But then, that's REALLY bad for his value.  The point of my post wasn't "don't draft this guy because he's faking headaches".  It was whether or not these migraines are real, it's bad.  And medically-documented migraines is one of the worst potential outcomes from this.  

So the question is: would a headache neurologist have seen him to verify the headaches at this point?  Or are they still taking his word for?  I'm going to guess it's the latter.  Soooooo we're back to where we started.  This isn't good.

I don't think it's that bad...yet. If come Wednesday next week he's still sitting out due to Migraines I'd then start getting concerned. I think the biggest takeway from this is that Gio Bernard is an extremely valuable handcuff and you need to go get him if you're planning on drafting Mixon.

• Like 1

I moved him down just one spot in my rankings. I think Burrow is really going to thrive and help Mixon. If you are worried about headaches and contracts, take Gio with one of your last picks. Bernard has done very well in games Mixon has missed.

2 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

I moved him down just one spot in my rankings. I think Burrow is really going to thrive and help Mixon. If you are worried about headaches and contracts, take Gio with one of your last picks. Bernard has done very well in games Mixon has missed.

Draft tomorrow  pretty much every rb in the 10 range is iffy. Mixon chubb jacobs sanders and drake. Not ideal 

• Like 1

Just now, NInsko said:

Draft tomorrow  pretty much every rb in the 10 range is iffy. Mixon chubb jacobs sanders and drake. Not ideal 

I just drafted 11/12 in standard and went Mixon and Drake. Took Edmonds and Gio late. I feel good.

• Like 3

i like your confidence !! How would you rank those guys i listed standard?? If i take a mixon sanders or drake i, hope to pair with a less risky guy like jacobs or chubb 

Pretty sure James Harden gets migraines and he's the last "iron man" in the NBA.

I'm aware a FULL contact sport (NFL) is not the same, but migraines are not this death sentence you're making them out to be.

Percy Harvin was cool, but let's be real, he was kind of a B.  It always felt like he was searching for a reason to get out of playing than to actually play...

Until his skills were washing up then he really wanted to play again, but it was already too late.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, Chippa said:

what's perplexing about the statement?

If stress from fantasy football has taken any days off of his life, then he needs to call it quits. 

Now continue your unreasonable bashing of one of the better players on your favorite team. 

10 hours ago, ThunderDan said:

No matter how you slice it, this is a big headache for fantasy players.

I see you, ThunderDan. I see you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

I don't think this is accurate.

I could be wrong, but I believe most doctors find the lack of objectivity in headache medicine to be very frustrating. Studies show consistent brain abnormalities in those with chronic migraines vs migrainers without chronic migraine or those without headache, but all this tells us is people with certain brain abnormalities may be related to migraines. Brain abnormalities = head pain - common sense I suppose. Problem is, there is no evidence the abnormalities are caused by migraines, nor is there evidence that migraines are caused only by these abnormalities, only that abnormalities often exist.

In a sport built around repeat blows to the head, there is no way in hell the Bengals would call out the injury as fake and refuse to pay the guy. Or at least, I don't believe they would. I suppose stranger things have happened.

HOWEVER, faking a severe brain injury before entering free agency seems a bit counterintuitive if you ask me. I don't believe that's what's going on here.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

HOWEVER, faking a severe brain injury before entering free agency seems a bit counterintuitive if you ask me. I don't believe that's what's going on here.

Agree with your logic on faking it, it's a good point I hadn't considered.  And I thought him faking it was unlikely in my original post. But then, if these migraines are real, it feels to me like a huge risk that isnt being baked into his draft price. Migraines can be debilitating and in the concussions/CTE era, really hard to envision a guy with repeat migraines (if he gets more) getting the green light on gameday, especially after they already forced him to sit out a week of camp. Sure, maybe they wont come back. But we have absolutely no reason to think/expect that. 

Maybe I'm overreacting, hard to know. Too risky for me personally in rd 1/2

11 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If stress from fantasy football has taken any days off of his life, then he needs to call it quits. 

Now continue your unreasonable bashing of one of the better players on your favorite team. 

It’s called hyperbole. Quit being so obtuse. 

And I love mixon’s talent, I just dont love his situatuon

Sooooo... who do we target as Mixons Cuff???? In Full PPR Bernard???

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Agree with your logic on faking it, it's a good point I hadn't considered.  And I thought him faking it was unlikely in my original post. But then, if these migraines are real, it feels to me like a huge risk that isnt being baked into his draft price. Migraines can be debilitating and in the concussions/CTE era, really hard to envision a guy with repeat migraines (if he gets more) getting the green light on gameday, especially after they already forced him to sit out a week of camp. Sure, maybe they wont come back. But we have absolutely no reason to think/expect that. 

Maybe I'm overreacting, hard to know. Too risky for me personally in rd 1/2

Too risky? Who else you taking at RB? Just grab Gio late. With the Lev Bell situation, that makes starting RB even more scarce.

Edited by ponchsox

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Too risky? Who else you taking at RB? Just grab Gio late. With the Lev Bell situation, that makes starting RB even more scarce.

The thing with the just take gio argument is: the Bengals still have big question marks (o line, etc) I trust Mixon to overcome that bc hes elite talent. Top 5 or maybe top 3 rb in terms of talent in the league. Gio is fine. But I'm not sure he can overcome cincys other struggles. 

You make a good point though, who else to take? In ppr, I'll take drake and sanders easy. Standard, Jacob's drake and maybe chubb. 

Edited by ThunderDan

4 hours ago, BornandbredHeel said:

Snagged him at 2.01. On the Mixon train, let's see where it goes.

Not sure if you've been following but it's advisable to get Gio while these migraines/'injuries'/contract rumblings get sorted.