dewaser

Leonard Fournette 2020 Outlook

LMAO yeah, Arians said in the same breath the word "outstanding" in regards to Fournette and then quietly mumbled the word "okay" to describe the state of his RB group before Fournette was signed.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Sure.  Fournette signed for double what Rojo makes and incentives can put him well over triple, but yeah....they can afford to blow that money on a backup RB and not use it to upgrade their depth anywhere else.  RB is the only position on the team right?

Here's some news for you...Arians is already saying that Fournette will have a solid role week 1 and the guy doesn't even know the playbook.  It's only a matter of time.  Rojo sucks.

Analyze it all you want. And you have the money all wrong. I'd advise you to check again. Way off!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/leonard-fournette-21745/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/ronald-jones-ii-25137/

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kp96 said:

Exactly.  Watch what they do, not what they say.  If Rojo were starter quality, there is no Shady or Fournette on the team.  They spend the money on the defense.  Well, Shady could arguably be just depth but definitely no Fournette.

Look around the league at starting RBs and look at the guys that team brings in to back them up. Not a single one of them is as good as Fournette lol.

37 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Look around the league at starting RBs and look at the guys that team brings in to back them up. Not a single one of them is as good as Fournette lol.

Cleveland just gave Hunt $12m.

Is Chubb gonna get benched?

Baltimore used a premium pick, 2nd round, on Dobbins.

Is Ingram getting benched?

New Orleans made Murray a free agent priority last year.

Did he make Kamara sit on the bench all game?

TB backfield is an unknown.  Fournette is a good bet at the right price, but it's far from certain. 

If you believe in him, take him.  But I'd advise you don't make the mistake (this goes for Taylor owners too) thinking that him getting 75+% of the carries is inevitable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

League winner. He'll finish as a solid RB1. He'll be the steal of the draft. That RB group was a dumpster fire. Not to mention he caught 76 balls last year. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

TB backfield is an unknown.  Fournette is a good bet at the right price, but it's far from certain. 

If you believe in him, take him.  But I'd advise you don't make the mistake (this goes for Taylor owners too) thinking that him getting 75+% of the carries is inevitable. 

Chubb, Ingram, Kamara....all superstars or close to it.  Rojo is not.  A good chunk of the optimism on Fournette is based on Rojo's lack of ability.

That's fine - stranger things have happened.  Maybe Rojo holds him off.  But the smart money is on Fournette becoming at least the 1A to Rojo's 1B when he is acclimated, if not outright taking the backfield.

5 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

League winner. He'll finish as a solid RB1. He'll be the steal of the draft. That RB group was a dumpster fire. Not to mention he caught 76 balls last year. 

I dunno about RB1 but he should be the guy there.  

Think of it this way.  If Rojo went to Jax and Fournette was still there, would anybody be talking about Rojo being anything but a straight backup?  The only reason Rojo is ahead of Fournette (for now) is because he has been in the system and Fournette doesn't know the playbook yet.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

You're comparing Rojo to 3 established NFL RBs

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The only difference between Gurley going to the Falcons and Fournette going to the Bucs is timing. Nobody believes Gurley came in to compete with Ito Smith, but he has the benefit of a full offseason with the team. Fournette doesn’t have that luxury and will work to play catch-up, but at the end of the day, you’re not bringing in Fournette to back up RoJo the same way you’re not bringing in Gurley to back up Ito Smith.

Is it inevitable that Fournette becomes a bellcow in this offense? No, nothing is inevitable in the NFL. But a lot of guys who would have been pleased as punch to draft Fournette on the Jags, with virtually no competition at his spot for carries, now are down on Fournette on the Bucs—a much better offense and situation, with comparable talent in the RB room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

The only difference between Gurley going to the Falcons and Fournette going to the Bucs is timing. Nobody believes Gurley came in to compete with Ito Smith, but he has the benefit of a full offseason with the team. Fournette doesn’t have that luxury and will work to play catch-up, but at the end of the day, you’re not bringing in Fournette to back up RoJo the same way you’re not bringing in Gurley to back up Ito Smith.

Is it inevitable that Fournette becomes a bellcow in this offense? No, nothing is inevitable in the NFL. But a lot of guys who would have been pleased as punch to draft Fournette on the Jags, with virtually no competition at his spot for carries, now are down on Fournette on the Bucs—a much better offense and situation, with comparable talent in the RB room. 

This thread is gonna blow up if Fournette gets 70% workload in week 1 and no one started him lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, kp96 said:

Sure.  Fournette signed for double what Rojo makes and incentives can put him well over triple, but yeah....they can afford to blow that money on a backup RB and not use it to upgrade their depth anywhere else.  RB is the only position on the team right?

Here's some news for you...Arians is already saying that Fournette will have a solid role week 1 and the guy doesn't even know the playbook.  It's only a matter of time.  Rojo sucks.

ROJO cap hit - 1,928,702

Fournette cap hit - 2,000,000

9 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Fournette is the second best "backup" behind Hunt. That's the point. There's only one team that's brought in a proven caliber backup to actually be a backup.

LF is better than Murray or Dobbins.

Fournette is not going to be a backup.

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned, but this situation is eerily similar to when Trent Richardson had a volume heavy year on a bad team, and was a RB1. Then he was traded to a "contender", and everyone was super high on him because of it. He totally flopped, and burned many owners.

Fournette's been in the league for 3 years now, and the team gave up on him in a rebuilding year and to save money like the person mentioned above. TB is also more hyped than the Indianapolis team. Indy gave up a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson lol- brutal.

The downside is there, but so is the upside, and the upside is super sky-high - 1500 YFS and double digit TDs. That's Dalvin Cook and Henry territory. 

2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned, but this situation is eerily similar to when Trent Richardson had a volume heavy year on a bad team, and was a RB1. Then he was traded to a "contender", and everyone was super high on him because of it. He totally flopped, and burned many owners.

Fournette's been in the league for 3 years now, and the team gave up on him in a rebuilding year and to save money like the person mentioned above. TB is also more hyped than the Indianapolis team. Indy gave up a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson lol- brutal.

The downside is there, but so is the upside, and the upside is super sky-high - 1500 YFS and double digit TDs. That's Dalvin Cook and Henry territory. 

Not really. TRich never rushed for 1000 yards. Leonard has twice in 3 years but we shall see!

2 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

If Fournette is viewed as an average/above average starting caliber RB then why did none of the other 31 teams pick him up off of waivers?

$$$

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

If Fournette is viewed as an average/above average starting caliber RB then why did none of the other 31 teams pick him up off of waivers?

Picking him up off waivers would have required the team to pick up his current salary, which was in the last year of a deal that averaged $6.7M/yr. Not a lot of teams have that kind of money to invest in a RB at this point in the year, and besides, why take him on waivers when you can get him cheaper on the free agent market?

Yeah, I think lots of teams would've taken LF but not at his previous salary. I don't know the exact specifics off the top of my head but I don't think his salary reflected 'average/above average' running back comp level

Funny for the people who say he is washed up, he had his best year of his career last year (4.3 ypc, 76 receptions) on an absolutely dreadful offensive team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kp96 said:

I dunno about RB1 but he should be the guy there.  

Think of it this way.  If Rojo went to Jax and Fournette was still there, would anybody be talking about Rojo being anything but a straight backup?  The only reason Rojo is ahead of Fournette (for now) is because he has been in the system and Fournette doesn't know the playbook yet.

This. All of this right here. 100% man. 💯 

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Funny for the people who say he is washed up, he had his best year of his career last year (4.3 ypc, 76 receptions) on an absolutely dreadful offensive team.

I seem to remember a guy who averaged 4.0, 4.1. and 3.8 YPC in his first three seasons playing for a terrible team, only to be sold for peanuts after a disappointing start to his career. I forget his name but I think he ended up earning the name “Beast Mode” and rolled off his most iconic run of his career months after landing with the Seahawks. Anyone remember this guy?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Final year of his Jags contract would have put any team that claimed him on the hook for his $7.4 million 2020 salary.

Only Christian McCaffrey, Kenyan Drake. Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliott, David Johnson, and LeVeon Bell have a cap number that high for the 2020 season.

With COVID season affecting ticket sales, and likely the overall cap shrinking for 2021, most teams aren't looking to burn that much cap space on a one year rental.

Edited by Robrain
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Exactly- he had almost 1,700 yards from scrimmage last year! Here is the Top 10 RBs from last year in yards from scrimmage:

1. McCaffrey

2. Elliott- 1,777

3. Chubb

4. Henry

5. FOURNETTE- 1,674

6. Cook

7. Jones

8. Ekeler

9. Carson

10. Barkley

5th! and only 100 yds behind Zeke at #2.

And 76 receptions for those playing PPR!

And only 3 TDS! So may regress to the mean higher there. 

I'd say it's a pretty solid risk to take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Do you think Jones is as good as Chubb, Kamara, or Ingram? Jones isn’t even as good as Kerryon Johnson. Anyone who was drafting Jones at his ADP was just begging to have their money taken anyways. Fournette will be the lead back 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

I seem to remember a guy who averaged 4.0, 4.1. and 3.8 YPC in his first three seasons playing for a terrible team, only to be sold for peanuts after a disappointing start to his career. I forget his name but I think he ended up earning the name “Beast Mode” and rolled off his most iconic run of his career months after landing with the Seahawks. Anyone remember this guy?

Great point. I remember everyone writing off Lynch with the Bills. Talk about a breath of life once he got on a new team