dewaser

Leonard Fournette 2020 Outlook

Posting this Chris Thompson blurb here because I think it has a direct correlation to LF's fantasy value this season.  

Jaguars sign RB Chris Thompson, formerly of the Redskins.

Thompson will be rejoining OC Jay Gruden with this signing, and he should push Leonard Fournette for third-down duties immediately. Thompson has averaged 3.4 receptions per game over the last five seasons -- all with Gruden as his head coach -- and Fournette was 181st out of 199 qualifiers in fantasy points per target in 2019. It's clear the organization is ready to move on from Fournette in one way or another. Thompson, Ryquell Armstead, and Devine Ozigbo are behind the former first-rounder on the depth chart.

May 1, 2020, 3:39 PM ET

That signing is definitely a blow - I’ll probably have to steer clear of him now.

34 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Posting this Chris Thompson blurb here because I think it has a direct correlation to LF's fantasy value this season.  

Jaguars sign RB Chris Thompson, formerly of the Redskins.

Thompson will be rejoining OC Jay Gruden with this signing, and he should push Leonard Fournette for third-down duties immediately. Thompson has averaged 3.4 receptions per game over the last five seasons -- all with Gruden as his head coach -- and Fournette was 181st out of 199 qualifiers in fantasy points per target in 2019. It's clear the organization is ready to move on from Fournette in one way or another. Thompson, Ryquell Armstead, and Devine Ozigbo are behind the former first-rounder on the depth chart.

May 1, 2020, 3:39 PM ET

funny that the blurb writer says "it's clear," though the jaguars have had plenty of opportunities to remove the crown from fournette's head.

only seems "clear" in that fournette will have help on 3rd downs. it's a one-year contract to strengthen the backfield's receiving dimension.

22 minutes ago, BMcP said:

That signing is definitely a blow - I’ll probably have to steer clear of him now.

i imagine there's some sarcasm or humor in your post... but it's not sarcastic enough for me to tell... 

it's not like it's the return of carlos hyde or the three-year signing of devonta freeman or the pairing of fournette with gore or shady. it's chris thompson, a great and even electric receiving back when he's on the field, and that ain't often: since entering the NFL in 2013, only one full 16-game season. thompson will chip away at fournette's receptions... that is all.

barring a fist-fight at the car wash (or on the field), a meth party in his basement (or in the locker room), or a dead hooker in his trunk (or on his boat), it's predominantly fournette's backfield, at least for the majority of the season. let's see what he can do with the touches and if he can stay out of trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

funny that the blurb writer says "it's clear," though the jaguars have had plenty of opportunities to remove the crown from fournette's head.

only seems "clear" in that fournette will have help on 3rd downs. it's a one-year contract to strengthen the backfield's receiving dimension.

i imagine there's some sarcasm or humor in your post... but it's not sarcastic enough for me to tell... 

it's not like it's the return of carlos hyde or the three-year signing of devonta freeman or the pairing of fournette with gore or shady. it's chris thompson, a great and even electric receiving back when he's on the field, and that ain't often: since entering the NFL in 2013, only one full 16-game season. thompson will chip away at fournette's receptions... that is all.

barring a fist-fight at the car wash (or on the field), a meth party in his basement (or in the locker room), or a dead hooker in his trunk (or on his boat), it's predominantly fournette's backfield, at least for the majority of the season. let's see what he can do with the touches and if he can stay out of trouble.

😂

I was actually being serious - what I loved most about LF was his reception potential.  Thompson may be Mr. Glass, but he’ll steal those opportunities for the three games he plays.

Soon to be adios for 4 net......

Curious to see how this plays out.  I could still see drafting him pretty high if he has a chip on his shoulder.  Or maybe he gets traded before the season starts? I'm not too worried about Thompson.

3 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

fist-fight at the car wash (or on the field), a meth party in his basement (or in the locker room), or a dead hooker in his trunk (or on his boat)

giphy.gif

Midseason trade candidate?  He'd probably play his best football doing a half season of mercenary work for a contender.   I have low expectations for this team so it wouldnt surprise me to see him jettisoned for tanking purposes if nothing else.   

This guys already fallen to the fifth round in my dynasty startup slowdraft this year. Could fall further.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pushaZ said:

This guys already fallen to the fifth round in my dynasty startup slowdraft this year. Could fall further.

This is like the 5th thread I’ve gone into ready to **** on the player only to find out their ADP is fallen so low that I’m probably going to own them on every team.

So, Fournette good.

He just needs to not punch a coach, show up to practice, not be a huge distraction, not get hurt, actually finish at the GL, run better in general, and have semi competent run design.

Other wise, all good. 

Edited by Gohawks

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

This is like the 5th thread I’ve gone into ready to **** on the player only to find out their ADP is fallen so low that I’m probably going to own them on every team.

So, Fournette good.

He just needs to not punch a coach, show up to practice, not be a huge distraction, not get hurt, actually finish at the GL, run better in general, and have semi competent run design.

Other wise, all good. 

Gotta work on those Yac's too

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

So, Fournette good.

Other wise, all good. 

i read one of the keys in @pushaZ's post as "dynasty startup," because in round 5, based fournette's age and performance and immature decisions, based on his potential for being a back up or committee back in 2021, i'm not buying. in round 5 in dynasty, plenty of other players. round 6 too.

in redraft, i like fournette. i love him in round 5.

but something to consider as we analyze this "backfield." the talk has centered around chris thompson, and to a lesser extent armstead. but laviska shenault is the same height, same weight, and same speed as fournette. yes, shenault was drafted as a WR and will play WR. and yes he's recovering from core muscle surgery. however, shenault's college career rushing ain't shabby: 42 carries for 280 yards (6.7 ypc) and 7 TDs. expect shenault as another competitor for fournette's touches.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Not surprising since he probably wont be a workhorse RB ever again. 

On 5/4/2020 at 3:10 AM, pushaZ said:

Update: it's the end of the eighth round and hes still there in dynasty. Think I may have to consider pulling the trigger at that price, never seen anything like it before

2 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Update: it's the end of the eighth round and hes still there in dynasty. Think I may have to consider pulling the trigger at that price, never seen anything like it before

Do it. He could end up on a great team as early as this season.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Evincar said:

Not surprising since he probably wont be a workhorse RB ever again. 

A guy that’s been one of the biggest workhorses in the league when healthy will never be a workhorse again because he said some stuff on Twitter and they signed a back that has less carries in 7 seasons combined than Fournette had last year.

Alright...

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

A guy that’s been one of the biggest workhorses in the league when healthy will never be a workhorse again because he said some stuff on Twitter and they signed a back that has less carries in 7 seasons combined than Fournette had last year.

Alright...

There's a good chance this is last season as a workhorse. The Jags couldnt find any takers so the market doesnt look great for him. Given his durability issues he's more likely to be in a timeshare on his next team.

24 minutes ago, Evincar said:

There's a good chance this is last season as a workhorse. The Jags couldnt find any takers so the market doesnt look great for him. Given his durability issues he's more likely to be in a timeshare on his next team.

Why? Just because a team isn't willing to pay top dollar doesn't mean a team isn't willing to give him 250+ carries.

This is the last year on Carsons contract in Seattle and Penny hasn't exactly been Mr.Reliable so he would be a workhorse there. He would be a workhorse in Tampa. He would be a workhorse on Miami  Pittsburgh will also really need a RB after this season especially with Conners contract expiring. 

There's plenty of teams he can be a workhorse on after this season. Especially when you consider run heavy teams like Seattle and Pittsburgh have their current RB1s on their last years. The market not being as demanding is actually going to work out better because when markets are demanding for RBs they tend to go to terrible teams that are willing to pay a lot.

I'm totally cool with Leonard Fournette in my flex spot.  Bash away boys.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Alright...

Welcome to the NFL.

15 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I’m totally cool with him as my RB2. If I go WR/WR I’m totally cool with him as my RB1

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm totally cool that you are cool with it.

Hopefully he lives up to your expectations.

Wouldve been interesting to see fournette land on the steelers when the rumor was circulating.