DerrickHenrysCleats

Tua Tagovailoa 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

I rally feel the upside here is Mahomesian and Fitzmagic isn't exactly set up for success this weekend @SF. 

Miami isn't going to make the playoffs either way, so having him sit and observe isn't a bad strategy.

See: 

Aaron Rodgers behind Favre 

Pat Mahomes behind Alex Smith (https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/why-patrick-mahomes-credits-alex-smith-his-early-career-success)

Steve Young behind Joe Montana

Tom Brady behind Drew Bledsoe

etc...

I see his thread bumped all the time, I come here thinking there's news he's starting.

Wondering when is a good time to stash this guy.  Seems like it might be a while before he gets his time.  But with #1 Burrow and #6 Herbert shining on the big stage, when is it #5's time?

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

I see his thread bumped all the time, I come here thinking there's news he's starting.

Wondering when is a good time to stash this guy.  Seems like it might be a while before he gets his time.  But with #1 Burrow and #6 Herbert shining on the big stage, when is it #5's time?

if fitzpatrick has a span of his insane turnover games it could be sooner than later. i want to see him play i love watching rookies. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, vercrazy said:

Miami isn't going to make the playoffs either way, so having him sit and observe isn't a bad strategy.

See: 

Aaron Rodgers behind Favre 

Pat Mahomes behind Alex Smith (https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/why-patrick-mahomes-credits-alex-smith-his-early-career-success)

Steve Young behind Joe Montana

Tom Brady behind Drew Bledsoe

etc...

Wrong!!! Farve was winning...Alex Smith was winning...Montana was winning...Bledsoe was winning, and they were also playing at a very high level at the time, I believe all of them got replaced by the backup because of injury. Fitz is losing and should not be put in the same category as the names u quoted. Apples to oranges.

Edited by Tomei7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tomei7 said:

Wrong!!! Farve was winning...Alex Smith was winning...Montana was winning...Bledsoe was winning, and they were also playing at a very high level at the time, I believe all of them got replaced by the backup because of injury. Fitz is losing and should not be put in the same category as the names u quoted. Apples to oranges.

I guess that's where I differ in opinion, is Tua better than Fitz? Probably, almost certainly. 

Is he so transcendently better that he's going to make the Dolphins a winning team on his own? I highly doubt it.

Miami has a bottom 5 passing defense, a bottom 3rd rushing defense, and a bottom 3rd rushing offense, so even if Tua lights the passing offense up there's a lot of things that need improvement on this team. Given he's coming back from a pretty brutal injury where some people questioned if he'd ever be able to play football again, in my mind it seems smarter to play things conservatively with him to start.

Miami has Houston's 1st and 2nd round picks from next year, so sure, start Tua to get him some reps later this year, but more to get his feet under himself for next year when the team can potentially start to actually compete. 

Edited by vercrazy
  • Like 1

And Tua might not be completely healthy.  I read somewhere that he has not yet been tackled, not once, since his hip surgery.  Pretty sure they are just going to keep him in ice this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And Tua might not be completely healthy.  I read somewhere that he has not yet been tackled, not once, since his hip surgery.  Pretty sure they are just going to keep him in ice this season.

QBs are rarely (if ever) tackled in practice. They wear different colored jerseys so defenders don't hit them. Tua would be on the injury report if he wasn't healthy.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BUFbuf_BUFbufbuf_bufBUFbuf said:

QBs are rarely (if ever) tackled in practice. They wear different colored jerseys so defenders don't hit them. Tua would be on the injury report if he wasn't healthy.

Hate to tell you this, but teams are not always honest about their injury reports.  It is in Miami's best interests to assure the world that Tua is fine.  If he really is still hurt, what are they going to do, admit that they drafted damaged goods and he is still not right?  Easier to just say he is still learning.  The proof is in the pudding.  I am bullish on Tua long term, but I do not believe he will arrive this year.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
  • Haha 1

Yeah I don't see him starting until maybe the end of this year. They aren't going to take any chances with their franchise QB. Tua is coming off a brutal injury and surgery, they need to give him maximum rest/recovery duration and take every precaution. I read somewhere the top end recovery time for his situation is 18 months. They aren't going to be stupid about forcing him in quick.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Hate to tell you this, but teams are not always honest about their injury reports.  It is in Miami's best interests to assure the world that Tua is fine.  If he really is still hurt, what are they going to do, admit that they drafted damaged goods and he is still not right?  Easier to just say he is still learning.  The proof is in the pudding.  I am bullish on Tua long term, but I do not believe he will arrive this year.

This is a stretch. Everybody knew Tua was damaged goods when the Dolphins drafted him, and they listed him on their week 1 injury report. They did and signaled to the world exactly what you're saying they would not do.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone else like this week will be Fitzpatrick's last week as the starter? Thinking of stashing Tua in my SuperFlex league.

Dolphins play a tough SF defense and will probably smack around Miami. 

Flores doesn't want to go to Tua too soon, but how many more losses can the guy afford to have and not get fired?

Edited by rasrar

5 minutes ago, rasrar said:

Does anyone else like this week will be Fitzpatrick's last week as the starter? Thinking of stashing Tua in my SuperFlex league.

Flores doesn't want to go to Tua too soon, but how many more losses can the guy afford to have and not get fired?

He's definitely worth a stash in a SuperFlex league, but guessing when he'll play is all speculation. Brian Flores did hint he could make the change to Tua mid-game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rasrar said:

Niners are overrated. And without their MVP. That defense is overrated as hell. Watch Fitz creates some magic this week. 

50 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

He's definitely worth a stash in a SuperFlex league, but guessing when he'll play is all speculation. Brian Flores did hint he could make the change to Tua mid-game. 

Flores just need to keep his mouth shut. Fitz is playing great. Fitz gives them the best chance to win. In term of fantasy Fitz finished 3 out of 4 weeks at QB1. But that besides the point. Tua needs to sit and learn and not be jerking around being taking snaps mid game or play horrible and they go back to Fitz and so on and damage his confidence. 

If Flores wants to showcase Tua and give him game time experience then just come out strong and make that announcement. And stick with it. Don’t do a flip flop with QBs in a season where they expect to be bottom of the division. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ginocan said:

Niners are overrated. And without their MVP. That defense is overrated as hell. Watch Fitz creates some magic this week. 

Flores just need to keep his mouth shut. Fitz is playing great. Fitz gives them the best chance to win. In term of fantasy Fitz finished 3 out of 4 weeks at QB1. But that besides the point. Tua needs to sit and learn and not be jerking around being taking snaps mid game or play horrible and they go back to Fitz and so on and damage his confidence. 

If Flores wants to showcase Tua and give him game time experience then just come out strong and make that announcement. And stick with it. Don’t do a flip flop with QBs in a season where they expect to be bottom of the division. 

I think Flores was speaking more to the possibility of going to Tua should Fitzpatrick get hurt. Either way, I think it speaks to Tua's health and the teams readiness to make a change. There ain't many QB options available on the wire in superflex leagues - Tua needs be owned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

I think Flores was speaking more to the possibility of going to Tua should Fitzpatrick get hurt. Either way, I think it speaks to Tua's health and the teams readiness to make a change. There ain't many QB options available on the wire in superflex leagues - Tua needs be owned.

Ok that makes more sense. Basically Flores is saying Tua is healthy to play. I was thinking he is entertaining the idea of flip flopping his QBs. 

And agree that 2 QBs and Superflex leagues Tua should be rostered. Hell in my 15 years on going league, J. Love, Hurt, Mariota, Andy Dalton...you get the idea, are owned. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Then why on earth would they release their only other QB and make Tua the backup to a reckless, head first, run through a pile of linebackers, never-slide psycho like Ryan Fitzpatrick who is bound to need a backup at any given moment? What will the plan be if Fitz gets hurt in the middle of a game? Has anyone speculated on the mysterious other person they will find to backup the position? No...because if he’s healthy enough to be the gameday backup he’s healthy enough to play - or start a football game. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 3

You guys make some good points.  Maybe Tua is healthy enough to play.  If we do not see Tua in a game this year, I guess we may never know.

As for Brian Flores job security, I get the sense that it is just fine.  Flores inherited a mess and it is going to take time to right the ship. 

It seems clear to me that Miami is headed in the right direction.  They have lost most of their games, but they have been competitive for the most part.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

You guys make some good points.  Maybe Tua is healthy enough to play.  If we do not see Tua in a game this year, I guess we may never know.

As for Brian Flores job security, I get the sense that it is just fine.  Flores inherited a mess and it is going to take time to right the ship. 

It seems clear to me that Miami is headed in the right direction.  They have lost most of their games, but they have been competitive for the most part.

Flores is in no danger of getting fired.

The organization has given every indication that they determined on a multi year rebuild, and it's just year 2.  To this point, it looks to me like Flores has over achieved. 

I don't think there's any rush to get Tua in.  If Fitzpatrick is playing well enough to keep them competitive, he'll be the guy for the vast majority of the season. 

The question arises if Fitzpatrick starts to nosedive, as he's tended to do in his career, and if his play drops to a point where it might hinder the development of the team around him.

I've picked up Tua in my superflex league, but I don't have any expectations.  I do think Tua will get playing time at some point, though I don't know if he'll get any starts.  It could happen earlier, and/or Fitzpatrick could get hurt, but I wouldn't look for too many signs of a change prior to their week 11 bye.

If you can hold him, it's not a bad idea.  My team is like that (at the moment), where I don't need to roster any of the waiver quality WRs or RBs or TEs.  But if it becomes necessary in the next few weeks, I wouldn't be too worried about dropping him to address immediate needs.

For now, I'll keep him on my bench as long as I have the luxury of doing so, and with knowledge that he might not actually play for me at any point.

3 more weeks max till he’s the starter. This guy has the ability to carry a franchise and as a Parker owner I’m salivating over that future connection. 

I’m debating stashing him in my (1 QB) deep bench keeper league because of his rushing ability, I would say he should be universally stashed in 2QB/superflex leagues.

The thing is, the media has already started applying the pressure. One more loss/stinker and it's only going to amplify. 

4 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

The thing is, the media has already started applying the pressure. One more loss/stinker and it's only going to amplify. 

Yes, because that's what the media does. 

12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I'm liking this.  Confused why Chester Rogers is leaking this and wondering if he'll get in trouble.  Would have liked to see some clips of him running.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to stash him ahead of this weekend's game...