DerrickHenrysCleats

Tua Tagovailoa 2020 Outlook

9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Houshmandzadah trains college kids going into the NFL and claypool was one of a few prospects he trained.

Dilfer hosts multiple QB camps around the country and has watched thousands of QBs and he sees them from the time they are in high school up through the time they get drafted. I think he has a pretty intimate knowledge of the guys he speaks of. Housh was with claypool for a couple of months 

Im not sure what vested interest you think Dilfer has in Tua. He isn't a paid spokesperson.  When Dilfer talks about Tua being a more mature passer coming out of high school than Aaron Rodgers was coming out of Cal then my ears perk up. When Dilfer mentions Tua's intangibles with guys like Brees, Rodgers, Manning, etc... I give that a lot more weight than TJ Houshmandzadah (even though he was dead on right about Claypool)

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/tua-tagovailoa-trent-dilfer-1.43948439

Dilfer literally did the same thing with Tua that TJ did with Claypool, he prepped him for the draft.  Dilfer was even the guy feeding balls to Tua during his pro day throwing workout.  Obviously it looks good on him if Tua comes in and succeeds.  I'm not saying his input is worthless, just that the prep work he did looks better if Tua comes in and plays better.  If you ask me to recommend you a restaurant and I have part ownership in one, I might be a little biased in my recommendation, pretty simple.  His history working with QBs may give him a slight leg up on TJ's expertise, but the picture is similar.

Not sure what the point of arguing here is about semantics, we're both high on Tua.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/tua-tagovailoa-trent-dilfer-1.43948439

Dilfer literally did the same thing with Tua that TJ did with Claypool, he prepped him for the draft.  Dilfer was even the guy feeding balls to Tua during his pro day throwing workout.  Obviously it looks good on him if Tua comes in and succeeds.  I'm not saying his input is worthless, just that the prep work he did looks better if Tua comes in and plays better.  If you ask me to recommend you a restaurant and I have part ownership in one, I might be a little biased in my recommendation, pretty simple.  His history working with QBs may give him a slight leg up on TJ's expertise, but the picture is similar.

Not sure what the point of arguing here is about semantics, we're both high on Tua.

I guess the argument is a puff piece by Housh vs over 4 years of Dilfer evaluating Tua.

You are right, Dilfer helped craft Tua's draft video for his NFL draft but he has been watching Tua since he was a junior in high school and watched him win the Elite 11 in 2016. 

I just think you made a bad comparison. If Housh has been watching and working with Claypool since he was a senior in high school then obviously I am wrong, I just think Dilfer is not pumping up a player he worked with a few times leading up to the draft, I think he is giving an honest opinion about the type of talent Tua has.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bamahammer.com/2016/06/07/folks-raving-after-tua-tagovailoa-named-to-elite-11-finals/amp/

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Trent-Dilfer-calls-Alabama-Football-QB-Tua-Tagovailoa-the-best-Ive-ever-seen-122103858/

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Tua will be great as long as he can stay healthy. Hope his hip issue is behind him. He is really gonna give my dynasty team a shot of energy.

15 hours ago, dorwell said:

So much for that

Lol, yeah. It’s definitely not because of Fitz’ play - he’s been a lot more magic than tragic. Fine with me - just picked up Tua again. CHOO CHOO!!!! 😆

15 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Fitz is winning too much. It's obvious they want to put an end to that. So, that's why if Tua starts out of the bye.

They’re trying to tank for Lawrence, and Fitz keeps messing it up. 😂

15 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

That's a fun thought. But I think the Cowboys have to realize they have no real shot this year with that defense so why go to the trouble and spend anything on Fitzpatrick? Unless they think their viewership would be so poor that Fitzpatrick would at least keep them interesting...And Dalton was unbelievably poor last night.

Dalton was horrid, ugh. FWIW, Fitz might also help them low-ball Dak too by giving them a legit starting option. Dalton ain’t looking like that!

Would anyone like to discuss how Ryan Fitzpatrick claimed to be blindsided by the decision to start Tua in week 8. He thought the team was his, etc...etc...

I think that speaks volumes to how Tua has looked in practice. 

You don't make that move without a peep to Fitzmagic unless you are impressed with what you have been seeing in practice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Would anyone like to discuss how Ryan Fitzpatrick claimed to be blindsided by the decision to start Tua in week 8. He thought the team was his, etc...etc...

You don't make that move without a peep to Fitzmagic unless you are impressed with what you have been seeing in practice.

It's weird because there were other reports that this was always the plan (i.e., Tua would start after the bye no matter what). So which is it? 

Agree that if it's a snap move then Tua has probably been a monster in practice scrimmages. 

• Like 1

I'll eat crow later if I'm wrong but Tua is going to have a Mahomes-type breakout this year imo. He's got a pedigree/resume as good as any QB, its just the hip injury that killed his hype.

I blew my #4 waiver on Tua even though I'm already set at QB. Fitzpatrick put up really nice numbers but I think Tua is gonna take this offense to the next level.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jeffnsee said:

I'll eat crow later if I'm wrong but Tua is going to have a Mahomes-type breakout this year imo. He's got a pedigree/resume as good as any QB, its just the hip injury that killed his hype.

I blew my #4 waiver on Tua even though I'm already set at QB. Fitzpatrick put up really nice numbers but I think Tua is gonna take this offense to the next level.

I’d agree with you, save for the fact that Tua doesn’t have the elite weapons or the offensive genius coach that Mahomes did in his breakout campaign. As someone who is all-on on Parker this year (own him on every single team) I’m certainly rooting for Tua.

• Like 1

Where should he be ranked ROS? Ahead of guys like Bridgewater or Minshew or behind them?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30162680/decision-start-tua-tagovailoa-broke-ryan-fitzpatrick-heart

I'm sad for Fitz.  He sounds really despondent here.  He's obviously been around the block many times, so this is nothing new for him.  

What's odd is that you saw him on the sidelines pumping up the crowd for that last series when Tua entered the game, he talked about how excited he was for him, etc.  But deep down, he's a fiery competitor, and those guys want to be on the field.  I hope he gets a chance to start again somewhere.

Edit:  Forgot to add, but I'm obviously thrilled for Tua.  If he breaks out, he'd be an excellent keeper selection for next year.

Edited by CooL

43 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Where should he be ranked ROS? Ahead of guys like Bridgewater or Minshew or behind them?

Dude has only thrown like two passes in the NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I feel like the plan was always to make the switch after the bye week which was originally scheduled for week 11 and they decided to stick with it when the bye got bumped up to week 7.

7 minutes ago, whatisfootball said:

I feel like the plan was always to make the switch after the bye week which was originally scheduled for week 11 and they decided to stick with it when the bye got bumped up to week 7.

I think this is right. I wish I would have been more cognizant of this while I was rostering Fitz as my bye week QB filler in SF. I just didn't see any way that Fitz could be benched while he was playing so well. Tua's gonna ball, I hate that I couldn't scoop him.

Edited by Agmaniacmike

Tua AhemKylerMurrayahem Tagovailoa

1 hour ago, CooL said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30162680/decision-start-tua-tagovailoa-broke-ryan-fitzpatrick-heart

I'm sad for Fitz.  He sounds really despondent here.  He's obviously been around the block many times, so this is nothing new for him.  

What's odd is that you saw him on the sidelines pumping up the crowd for that last series when Tua entered the game, he talked about how excited he was for him, etc.  But deep down, he's a fiery competitor, and those guys want to be on the field.  I hope he gets a chance to start again somewhere.

Edit:  Forgot to add, but I'm obviously thrilled for Tua.  If he breaks out, he'd be an excellent keeper selection for next year.

It was a blowout, not a benching. Why wouldn't he cheer him on?  He would be excited for his teammate!  He knows Tua is the future.  He clearly thought he had a few more games at the minimum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Tua is a much better passer.

As a Tua owner.....I hope so

5 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

As a Tua owner.....I hope so

Kyler was a #1 pick and his throws are effortless with the flick of his wrist but Tua's arm talent and ability to read progressions is elite, his ball placement is elite.

I know it sounds crazy but think how Rodgers can thread needles and hit those contested holes with his throws. That's how good Tua ism

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Kyler was a #1 pick and his throws are effortless with the flick of his wrist but Tua's arm talent and ability to read progressions is elite, his ball placement is elite.

I know it sounds crazy but think how Rodgers can thread needles and hit those contested holes with his throws. That's how good Tua ism

Is the QB change an upgrade for Parker and Preston?

25 minutes ago, whatisfootball said:

Exactly! The plan is/was always to install Tua as the starter during their bye week, which was originally scheduled for week 11. 

It's also worth noting their opponent in week 12 is the Jests. Instead, it's now Tua gets to face the Rams. 

Welcome to the NFL rookie!

14 minutes ago, Sternes said:

It was a blowout, not a benching. Why wouldn't he cheer him on?  He would be excited for his teammate!  He knows Tua is the future.  He clearly thought he had a few more games at the minimum.

I think that's 100% accurate. I also think that was a fair assumption on his part based on the way he's been playing in conjunction with where the Dolphins are in the division (one game out at 3-3). He may have even been told at the start of the season "hey Ryan, we're probably going to make the switch to Tua around the bye", but he probably didn't think that meant week 8 after the bye was moved up (again, based on how he was playing and where they are in the standings). 

I am not a bit surprised the Dolphins handled this whole thing the way they have. Unorthodox would be the word that comes to mind. Is this the right time to make the switch? You can debate it all you want, but only time will tell. 

One last thing I'll say...this whole thing reeks of Ross pressuring Flores to get Tua out there sooner rather than later. Just sayin', that's my gut on this whole situation. I could be wrong on that, but I don't think I am. Hope he does well. Seems like a good kid. 

26 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Ah, yeah, I know it was a blow out and that Fitz wasn't being benched.  Fitz is a good teammate and a consummate pro.  He's supportive and excited for his teammate.  Knowing that he's going to get replaced at some point.  Clearly he didn't see this coming and maybe he too thought that he was going to get to start until he started to lose more.  I guess the master plan wasn't communicated to Fitz at the beginning of the year.

it's gotta be tough being the veteran QB and seeing a hotshot rookie walk into the room.  Some handle it with class.  Others such as Joe Flacco with Lamar and Aaron Rodgers with Love, not so much.

17 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Is the QB change an upgrade for Parker and Preston?

Yes sir, Gesiki too.

The difference is putting the ball where receivers can run after the catch. Tua can hit tight windows but more often than not he places the ball so his receivers can get plenty of YAC.

In college he had dominant receivers but it was also his ball placement. His receivers had so much YAC that he was usually out of the game by halftime. Fitzmagic was efficient and had a 70% completion date but Tua will make those same passes but his receivers will get more YAC, that's the biggest difference for me.

That and Tua is excellent in the red zone where the windows for throws gets much tighter.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah, yeah, I know it was a blow out and that Fitz wasn't being benched.  Fitz is a good teammate and a consummate pro.  He's supportive and excited for his teammate.  Knowing that he's going to get replaced at some point.  Clearly he didn't see this coming and maybe he too thought that he was going to get to start until he started to lose more.  I guess the master plan wasn't communicated to Fitz at the beginning of the year.

it's gotta be tough being the veteran QB and seeing a hotshot rookie walk into the room.  Some handle it with class.  Others such as Joe Flacco with Lamar and Aaron Rodgers with Love, not so much.

Aaron Rodgers is another story altogether...come on now lol

• Like 1