DerrickHenrysCleats

Henry Ruggs III 2020 Outlook

see below comments after the game yesterday. Arrow pointing up!

“Well, yeah, I mean we didn’t bring him in here to run hitch routes,” Gruden told reporters after the game. “He can really run and we’ve got to be better at getting him the ball in other areas because he’s a great route runner.”

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/12/raiders-wr-henry-ruggs-iii-shows-why-jon-gruden-brought-him-to-vegas/

So is he a sneaky add over his bye week or is he bound to be a 1-3 catch kind of guy?

Edited by vikesrube

On 10/14/2020 at 8:40 PM, vikesrube said:

So is he a sneaky add over his bye week or is he bound to be a 1-3 catch kind of guy?

I think he has boom/bust WR3 upside over the second half of the season. He's the kind of bye week fill-in WR I want to have. Maybe not in full PPR. But if they get him involved more to take pressure off of the Waller/Jacobs combo he could definitely be more than a 1-3 catch guy. Probably a 3-5 guy but you take that knowing one could EASILY be a 50 yard TD.

• Like 1

When he runs deep routes it's open up the rest of the field for Waller and Jacobs to do work and that is clearly when the Raiders offense is at their best. While we all know Ruggs can crush with short routes, it's probably in their best interest to keep sending him on mainly deep routes. If you enjoyed owning Desean Jackson throughout his career than HR3 is the guy for you, just be prepared that he can drop some 1-2 point floor games.

5 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

When he runs deep routes it's open up the rest of the field for Waller and Jacobs to do work and that is clearly when the Raiders offense is at their best. While we all know Ruggs can crush with short routes, it's probably in their best interest to keep sending him on mainly deep routes. If you enjoyed owning Desean Jackson throughout his career than HR3 is the guy for you, just be prepared that he can drop some 1-2 point floor games.

Ruggs is a better route runner than DJax was early in his career.

Whether Gruden and more specifically Carr will use him more often is TBD but Ruggs isn't a 1 trick pony.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ruggs is a better route runner than DJax.

Whether Gruden and more specifically Carr will use him more often is TBD but Ruggs isn't a 1 trick pony.

Yeah I know, I've mentioned that in this thread a couple times. The issue isn't that Ruggs is a one trick pony, the issue is that Gruden is happy with him being a one trick pony because it helps the rest of the offense. Time will tell if they start giving him more looks on short routes or if they are content just using him as a deep threat. His upside is great but I think he'll have the chance to throw up a 0 or 1 anytime he touches the field this year, which just isn't the type of receiver I'm interested in playing (which is why I made the comparison to DJax). He's sitting on waivers in my league and even though I'd never start him with my WR depth, I think I'll pick him up and keep on the bench and if he goes off I'll try to trade him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stay_woke said:

Yeah I know, I've mentioned that in this thread a couple times. The issue isn't that Ruggs is a one trick pony, the issue is that Gruden is happy with him being a one trick pony because it helps the rest of the offense. Time will tell if they start giving him more looks on short routes or if they are content just using him as a deep threat. His upside is great but I think he'll have the chance to throw up a 0 or 1 anytime he touches the field this year, which just isn't the type of receiver I'm interested in playing (which is why I made the comparison to DJax). He's sitting on waivers in my league and even though I'd never start him with my WR depth, I think I'll pick him up and keep on the bench and if he goes off I'll try to trade him.

I hear ya.  He is starting to feel like a Jackson or Cooks type fantasy player (not real life player) in that if you need to roll the dice to the upside in a flex spot, you put him there and hope its the game he and Carr connect on.  He can obviously blow by people now that he is healthy.  Obviously would love to see consistency moving forward. 

11 minutes ago, BigBlueMachine said:

I hear ya.  He is starting to feel like a Jackson or Cooks type fantasy player (not real life player) in that if you need to roll the dice to the upside in a flex spot, you put him there and hope its the game he and Carr connect on.  He can obviously blow by people now that he is healthy.  Obviously would love to see consistency moving forward. 

Carr just cant process many things outside of.... ooo look, Waller is big guy, let me target him.  Every now and then he knows how to read a mismatch, but he is definitely what will hold Ruggs back.

• Like 1

Not the greatest matchup on paper but I still like his chances of grabbing a deep ball and taking it to the house. He's had the bye week to fully rest up, only takes one shot to have a big week, plus primetime Sunday night game, I think he will be ready for the test. 4-122-1

The upside is there, I'm buying. If he can ball they'll get him touches

59 minutes ago, Mmiller186 said:

Not the greatest matchup on paper but I still like his chances of grabbing a deep ball and taking it to the house. He's had the bye week to fully rest up, only takes one shot to have a big week, plus primetime Sunday night game, I think he will be ready for the test. 4-122-1

I'll take the over on receptions. 

• Like 1

I'm a little worried, TB defense has looked ironclad. Feel like they will shut down the Raiders passing game, particularly after they just dismantled Rodgers and the GB passing game. Then again Herbert smoked them so who knows.

Edited by harck

On 10/10/2020 at 4:47 PM, GeneralTsou said:

I figured the Raiders will have to throw to keep up with the Chiefs and if the Raiders are playing him then he should be healthy enough to contribute.  Hopefully they will manufacture touches for him.  He only needs one opportunity to make a difference.  I am starting him and we'll meet back here later to see if it was the right call

^Right on GeneralTsou! Anytime he’s playing, it only takes one deep ball 🏈 4.27 wins!

15 hours ago, harck said:

I'm a little worried, TB defense has looked ironclad. Feel like they will shut down the Raiders passing game, particularly after they just dismantled Rodgers and the GB passing game. Then again Herbert smoked them so who knows.

I'm sort of hoping that the LV OL is at least a bit better. TB will always be strong against the run, which may or may not help Ruggs a little. Plus they will no doubt take Waller out of the game as they did Adams.

I'm giving him a shot this week against the Bucs. As others said before, all it takes is one play. And he's just getting his legs back under him, so he could be even more in the game plan this week. Remember he had 5 targets and was looking good week 1 against Carolina and they also gave him a couple carries. Upside is there even in this tough matchup. 

Back to back games of 3 targets. Goofs getting all excited over one big play. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Haha 1

Can't help but feel Raiders misuse this guy. He wasn't a one trick pony in college, but he seems to be for the Raiders. He's a good all around receiver that can be a go to in short and intermediate yard situations as well. Baffling. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, harck said:

Can't help but feel Raiders misuse this guy. He wasn't a one trick pony in college, but he seems to be for the Raiders. He's a good all around receiver that can be a go to in short and intermediate yard situations as well. Baffling. 

His qb isn't intelligent enough to read his progressions.

Yes, 3 targets of concerning, but after watching the TB defense thoroughly shut down rodgers & Adams, expectations should've been in check. I think/hope better days are ahead. 

1 hour ago, DrRazvi said:

Yes, 3 targets of concerning, but after watching the TB defense thoroughly shut down rodgers & Adams, expectations should've been in check. I think/hope better days are ahead. 

Adams still got 10 targets against Tampa. Plus it was his first game back. Not to mention they pretty much gave up in the 4th quarter. The point is Ruggs getting 3 targets two games in a row isn’t gonna cut it. Ultimate boom/bust. Not denying the talent, but unfortunately his QB sucks and Gruden refuses to force him his looks. Might change, we’ll see. 

Hope the raiders lose every game till they figure out how to run an offense.

Carr is terrible, the offensive creativity is lacking.

It stings watching guys like Ruggs not get touches when he has the speed for a TD every touch. Instead Hunter Renfrow gets twice as many targets. 🤷‍♂️

I was shocked they drafted Ruggs over Lamb....just the eye test so far is not even close....if they keep using him like this he has a very good chance of being a bust.  Should be making him a focal point of the offense instead of an afterthought.