thebadferret

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

They must be pretty high on him because i think he's the highest drafted RB by Reid ever. 

Question is will he take the job right away or spend 4-6 weeks behind Williams?

I tend to the think it’s the latter, but I also tend to think Williams is brittle enough so that CEH gets the full time job sooner.

26 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I tend to the think it’s the latter, but I also tend to think Williams is brittle enough so that CEH gets the full time job sooner.

In the modern NFL there are very few RB who play every single down, so it's not really a matter of one guy playing "behind" the other.  

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

In the modern NFL there are very few RB who play every single down, so it's not really a matter of one guy playing "behind" the other.  

Fine. What I really mean is, when will have a 15-20 touch floor as opposed to a 5-10 touch floor?

• Like 1

Just now, Proteus said:

Fine. What I really mean is, when will have a 15-20 touch floor as opposed to a 5-10 touch floor?

I suspect he'll live in that 10-20 range the whole year depending on game script.

Here are his game logs from last year:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/clyde-edwards-helaire-1/gamelog/2019/

LSU was loaded, much like KC.

He'll never be a volume play, but given his abilities and situation he'll be efficient.

Think Ekeler or the NE pass catching backs.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I suspect he'll live in that 10-20 range the whole year depending on game script.

Here are his game logs from last year:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/clyde-edwards-helaire-1/gamelog/2019/

LSU was loaded, much like KC.

He'll never be a volume play, but given his abilities and situation he'll be efficient.

Think Ekeler or the NE pass catching backs.

LMAO what a bold prediction.  I predict 5-30 touches a game.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I knew what you meant brother!  5-10 touches for an Andy Reid first round running back..... not happening.  He is the jewel of the draft class and he is the new jewel in dynasty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Strike Three said:

LMAO what a bold prediction.  I predict 5-30 touches a game.

LOL everyone wants #hottakes.

Then they wonder why there's so many bad takes.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I don't think a player that's widely considered a committee 'back is selected that high, not with some of the others still on the board. No way, they believe he can give them 15-20 touches. But you don't just chuck Williams back onto the scrap heap. CEH will have to beat him out... so we have to weigh how high a pick & the likelihood that it'll be sometime before he's producing RB1 numbers.

Edited by markrc99

1 minute ago, Strike Three said:

I knew what you meant brother!  5-10 touches for an Andy Reid first round running back..... not happening.  He is the jewel of the draft class and he is the new jewel in dynasty!

Dig. But WHEN?

Right away like Zeke or baby’d in like David Johnson?

57 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Williams is a committee back, so worst case scenario sees CEH splitting carries from week 1.

He's a first round pick, and they drafted him on Mahomes' recommendation, which leads me to believe he starts right away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

He was the most complete RB in the draft.

He runs crisp routes, will be a true receiving threat. He stays small through the hole, has great jump cuts and initial burst.

Perfect landing spot for him. Could be an early season timeshare but I believe he wins the backfield outright. 

2021 the backfield will be his alone. In dynasty he would be my #1 pick.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 6

As of right now my #1 pick in dynasty - let's see where Taylor, Swift and Dobbins end up.  For re-draft, CEH will probably end up in the second/third round.  Too high for me and I'll probably look to take DW at a deep discount much later in the draft.

Yikes - I know I’ve been talking up CEH for what feels like months now, but was NOT expecting him to go #1 overall at his position - and to the Chiefs no less.  Now I’m conflicted - I love both him and DW for fantasy purposes, but I don’t see how this doesn’t start off as an inconvenient timeshare.  I’ll still try to get as many shares of both as I can.

• Like 2

Oof Reid. lets take a smaller, slower, less explosive Swift in the first round.   31 other teams thank you.   This will be a timeshare I avoid.   

Just now, BMcP said:

Yikes - I know I’ve been talking up CEH for what feels like months now, but was NOT expecting him to go #1 overall at his position - and to the Chiefs no less.  Now I’m conflicted - I love both him and DW for fantasy purposes, but I don’t see how this doesn’t start off as an inconvenient timeshare.  I’ll still try to get as many shares of both as I can.

Yeah I think him going before any of Swift, Taylor, Dobbins and Akers was the shock.

He's not a Zeke type back.  Envisioning him averaging 20+ touches per game is, IMO, highly unlikely, and you and me were some of the highest on him before the draft.

It's a great spot for him because he's in such an explosive offense, and DW has't totally run away with a 3 down gig, but I think it would be wise to temper expectations.

If someone like Taylor or Swift go to say, Pittsburgh or Miami, I could see them having a more voluminous role, if not as high scoring for fantasy purposes.

• Like 2

I know that two of my friends who are lifelong Chiefs fans are happy over this pick. 

1 minute ago, Rush2112 said:

I know that two of my friends who are lifelong Chiefs fans are happy over this pick. 

They're just still happy to be picking 32, they'd love any pick there

26 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Oof Reid. lets take a smaller, slower, less explosive Swift in the first round.   31 other teams thank you.   This will be a timeshare I avoid.   

but Prez, he's the new Brian Westbrook!!!!

35 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Lol, put aside the KC-DEN rivalry.

Watch some of Edwards-Helaire highlights. He has excellent vision, his has a low center of gravity, KC keeps it spread out like LSU did so he makes decisive reads and he can push a pile with his forward momentum. His WR routes are crisp, quick stabs in the dirt, spin on a dime, great hands.

If you want to trust anything in fantasy football in your life please trust Andy Reid's starting RB.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lol, put aside the KC-DEN rivalry.

Watch some of Edwards-Helaire highlights. He has excellent vision, his has a low center of gravity, KC keeps it spread out like LSU did so he makes decisive reads and he can push a pile with his forward momentum. His WR routes are crisp, quick stabs in the dirt, spin on a dime, great hands.

If you want to trust anything in fantasy football in your life please trust Andy Reid's starting RB.

like in 2019?    All duds there.   And who is the starting rb?    I’d lean towards the guy who would have been playoff MVP if not for Mahomes.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

like in 2019?    All duds there.   And who is the starting rb?    I’d lean towards the guy who would have been playoff MVP if not for Mahomes.  

That's true, he will have to beat out Damien Williams.

We know Williams injury history though and a lot of fantasy is speculation on how things will work out. A first round pick for a RB is significant and would indicate Reid has serious plans for him despite Williams almost being super bowl mvp, no?

Williams will be on the last year of a 3 year extension with KC this season? I think that's the case.

By mid season Edwards-Helaire will be a big factor in the best offense in football, in 2021 he will be the undisputed starter having been a 1st round pick.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 2