thebadferret

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

That's true, he will have to beat out Damien Williams.

We know Williams injury history though and a lot of fantasy is speculation on how things will work out. A first round pick for a RB is significant and would indicate Reid has serious plans for him despite Williams almost being super bowl mvp, no?

 

Williams will be on the last year of a 3 year extension with KC this season? I think that's the case.

 

By mid season Edwards-Helaire will be a big factor in the best offense in football, in 2021 he will be the undisputed starter having been a 1st round pick.

The Devin Singletary route— could see it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reid says he reminds him of Brian Westbrook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

The Devin Singletary route— could see it 

 

Kinda sorta but not really, I mean, had Singletary been drafted 42 picks higher than he was by the friendliest coach in the NFL to fantasy RBs then I could see it.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Kinda sorta but not really, I mean, had Singletary been drafted 42 picks higher than he was by the friendliest coach in the NFL to RBs then I could see it.


Small back,  partial usage early.   Then more down the stretch...and now looking at a 20 touch starting gig.   That’s what u described no?    Reid has rarely given his starting back huge volume.  They aren’t in this for fantasy glory.   2 backs both producing and healthy when it counts is the goal.  

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Impreza178 said:


Small back,  partial usage early.   Then more down the stretch...and now looking at a 20 touch starting gig.   That’s what u described no?    Reid has rarely given his starting back huge volume.  They aren’t in this for fantasy glory.   2 backs both producing and healthy when it counts is the goal.  

The hype train is gonna get out of order for CEH in a way that it definitely didn't for Singletary.  Judging by the early enthusiasm, I'm guessing he goes 2nd round in a lot of redraft leagues.

If it plays that way, too rich for my blood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

The hype train is gonna get out of order for CEH in a way that it definitely didn't for Singletary.  Judging by the early enthusiasm, I'm guessing he goes 2nd round in a lot of redraft leagues.

If it plays that way, too rich for my blood.


hard pass at that price.    Will look at a discounted DW tho.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:


Small back,  partial usage early.   Then more down the stretch...and now looking at a 20 touch starting gig.   That’s what u described no?    Reid has rarely given his starting back huge volume.  They aren’t in this for fantasy glory.   2 backs both producing and healthy when it counts is the goal.  

 

While speaking to the media after the conclusion of Round 1, general manager Brett Veach expressed the organization’s excitement in being able to land a player of Edwards-Helaire’s makeup at that point in the process. The fourth-year GM also offered a pro comparison – former Philadelphia Eagles RB Brian Westbrook.

 

According to Veach, upon sharing the comparison with Andy Reid, the Chiefs head coach believes his newest running back may be even better than the former All-Pro after watching his college film.

 

That is certainly high praise for Edwards-Helaire, especially considering Reid said in 2012 that he has “never coached a player as smart” as Westbrook. After the Eagles drafted the Villanova product in the third round (No. 91 overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, Westbrook went on to spend eight of his nine NFL seasons playing under Reid in Philadelphia, making two Pro Bowls during that span. Reid helped turn the 5’10,” 203-pounder into one of the league’s most versatile threats, racking up 5,995 rushing yards, 3,790 receiving yards and 66 total touchdowns.

 

 

Edwards-Helaire, who was one of the 32 prospects Kansas City met with leading up to the draft, called this landing spot the “perfect fit” for his skill set when speaking to reporters on Thursday night.

“They were big on getting the running back out in space, and I feel like that was where I absolutely thrived,” said Edwards-Helaire. “And the Chiefs, they made a great call. The offense, the whole game plan and everything is a perfect fit.”

 

The 21-year-old now joins a championship-caliber backfield featuring returning starter Damien Williams and recently-signed DeAndre Washington, with the opportunity to contribute immediately in 2020. Considering Veach called his new top pick a “franchise running back,” it appears that will be the case.

 

 

uh, yeah, when Andy Reid himself compares you to Brian Westbrook and the GM calls you a franchise RB I think that is a good indication of his talents.

 

do you remember Brian Westbrook in fantasy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

While speaking to the media after the conclusion of Round 1, general manager Brett Veach expressed the organization’s excitement in being able to land a player of Edwards-Helaire’s makeup at that point in the process. The fourth-year GM also offered a pro comparison – former Philadelphia Eagles RB Brian Westbrook.

 

According to Veach, upon sharing the comparison with Andy Reid, the Chiefs head coach believes his newest running back may be even better than the former All-Pro after watching his college film.

 

That is certainly high praise for Edwards-Helaire, especially considering Reid said in 2012 that he has “never coached a player as smart” as Westbrook. After the Eagles drafted the Villanova product in the third round (No. 91 overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft, Westbrook went on to spend eight of his nine NFL seasons playing under Reid in Philadelphia, making two Pro Bowls during that span. Reid helped turn the 5’10,” 203-pounder into one of the league’s most versatile threats, racking up 5,995 rushing yards, 3,790 receiving yards and 66 total touchdowns.

 

 

Edwards-Helaire, who was one of the 32 prospects Kansas City met with leading up to the draft, called this landing spot the “perfect fit” for his skill set when speaking to reporters on Thursday night.

“They were big on getting the running back out in space, and I feel like that was where I absolutely thrived,” said Edwards-Helaire. “And the Chiefs, they made a great call. The offense, the whole game plan and everything is a perfect fit.”

 

The 21-year-old now joins a championship-caliber backfield featuring returning starter Damien Williams and recently-signed DeAndre Washington, with the opportunity to contribute immediately in 2020. Considering Veach called his new top pick a “franchise running back,” it appears that will be the case.

 

 

uh, yeah, when Andy Reid himself compares you to Brian Westbrook and the GM calls you a franchise RB I think that is a good indication of his talents.

 

do you remember Brian Westbrook in fantasy? 


I remember Reid has done more with DW than with Westbrook.  This is like Reid doting on Shady last season.    He has a sense of nostalgia that betrays the obvious at times.    There were 3 backs available that are better in so many ways than James White...I mean CEH.    

Edited by Impreza178
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:


I remember Reid has done more with DW than with Westbrook.  This is like Reid doting on Shady last season.    He has a sense of nostalgia that betrays the obvious at times.    There were 3 backs available that are better in so many ways than James White...I mean CEH.    

James White was a key cog in a team that went to 3 straight Super Bowls. Some coaches realize that it is better to have a player who works best within the team's system, as opposed to a "better player". 

And James White has also been pretty productive in PPR fantasy leagues (#7 RB in 2018, #18 RB in 2019).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:


Small back,  partial usage early.   Then more down the stretch...and now looking at a 20 touch starting gig.   That’s what u described no?    Reid has rarely given his starting back huge volume.  They aren’t in this for fantasy glory.   2 backs both producing and healthy when it counts is the goal.  


CEH is short, not small. Dude is thick and well built for a RB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But can he pass protect?

 

No rookies drafted in the first 3 rounds of a fantasy draft...that's like a rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:


CEH is short, not small. Dude is thick and well built for a RB. 


he’s MJD but smaller and slower.   
 

32 minutes ago, Corleone said:

James White was a key cog in a team that went to 3 straight Super Bowls. Some coaches realize that it is better to have a player who works best within the team's system, as opposed to a "better player". 

And James White has also been pretty productive in PPR fantasy leagues (#7 RB in 2018, #18 RB in 2019).


Now we’re getting somewhere.   Reid made a luxury pick to fit a particular need.   He didn’t draft the best overall rb.   Not close 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust Reid. He knows what he's doing.

Last time he drafted a RB at KC that RB ended up being a top 5 type back. Reid took CEH in the 1st round? He's going to play a lot and score A LOT of fantasy points. 2nd round is not overvaluing him in this offense. Get him where you can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Trust Reid. He knows what he's doing.

Last time he drafted a RB at KC that RB ended up being a top 5 type back. Reid took CEH in the 1st round? He's going to play a lot and score A LOT of fantasy points. 2nd round is not overvaluing him in this offense. Get him where you can.

Wow.  In the second?  Did the 2019 draft and season not happen? 
 

Have at it my friend.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Wow.  In the second?  Did the 2019 draft and season not happen? 
 

Have at it my friend.   

What does 2019 have to do with CEH’s value?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Wow.  In the second?  Did the 2019 draft and season not happen? 
 

Have at it my friend.   

Haha - I don't get the 2019 draft and season reference?

I hope I get to use CEH against you ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Impreza178 said:

Wow.  In the second?  Did the 2019 draft and season not happen? 
 

Have at it my friend.   

If he produced at the level that some folks are expecting to, I'd feel cool about drafting him in the 2nd in a 2021 draft.

I can't do rooks that early though.  Too many swings and misses.  I remember Shonn Greene.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timexsocialclub said:

Haha - I don't get the 2019 draft and season reference?

I hope I get to use CEH against you ;)


I mean Reid has drafted many busts.. including 2 last draft.  Thompson and Darrell.   And DW was electric during their playoff run.
 

CEH is also pretty terrible in pass pro- which is usually a rbs ticket to playing time early.  Prepare to watch a frustrating time share.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:


I mean Reid has drafted many busts.. including 2 last draft.  Thompson and Darrell.   And DW was electric during their playoff run.
 

CEH is also pretty terrible in pass pro- which is usually a rbs ticket to playing time early.  Prepare to watch a frustrating time share.  

Gotcha - fair enough - but I don't think Thompson or Darrell are anywhere near the talent that CEH is. I don't like that comparison. Darrell was undrafted. Thompson is 5th rounder, somewhat of a dart of throw. CEH is a record setting national champion level running back drafted in the 1st round by a RB coach guru.

As for, DW, you're right. He has shown great promise and talent when given the opportunity but Reid has also shown again and again he just doesn't seem to have much faith in DW. He brought in McCoy. Drafted Thompson, acquired Darrell. And now CEH. I think CEH is the future sooner in KC sooner than later and he is going to be a load in that offense with all of those weapons. It's actually pretty scary. The rich just got richer.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If he produced at the level that some folks are expecting to, I'd feel cool about drafting him in the 2nd in a 2021 draft.

I can't do rooks that early though.  Too many swings and misses.  I remember Shonn Greene.

Shonn Greene was the #52 RB by ADP (non-PPR) in his rookie year of 2009. People were not rushing out to go draft Shonn Greene.

And that is being generous giving the results from non-PPR. As Shonn Greene had no pass-catching chops to speak of coming out of college.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/standard/12-team/running-back/2009

Edited by Corleone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corleone said:

Shonn Greene was the #52 RB by ADP in his rookie year of 2009. People were not rushing out to go draft Shonn Greene.

And that is being generous giving the results from non-PPR. As Shonn Greene had no pass-catching chops to speak of coming out of college.

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp/standard/12-team/running-back/2009

I played yahoo.  He was ranked at the turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

I played yahoo.  He was ranked at the turn.

Ranked what? As the 52nd-best RB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corleone said:

Ranked what? As the 52nd-best RB?

His predraft ranking were in that 11-13 range, I forget exactly where.

Those predraft rankings swung much more widely by site back in those days.  I'm not sure which sites that's pulling data from, if it's a composite I guess they were the outlier.

Regardless I'm just illustrating a point, if you like I could have said "I remember Montee Ball" or "I remember Cedric Benson" ad naseum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Damien is enough of a concern to keep CEH's ADP out of the 2nd-3rd round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

His predraft ranking were in that 11-13 range, I forget exactly where.

Those predraft rankings swung much more widely by site back in those days.  I'm not sure which sites that's pulling data from, if it's a composite I guess they were the outlier.

Regardless I'm just illustrating a point, if you like I could have said "I remember Montee Ball" or "I remember Cedric Benson" ad naseum.

 

On my yahoo history in 2009 he went round 15 pick 5 in a ppr, Round 10 pick 1 in a non ppr and round 11 pick 6 in another non ppr league.

You are out to lunch on your wacky data, maybe your thinking 2010.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...