thebadferret

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, aapox said:

Me too, except his thighs need about another foot of girth each 😆😝

yea and his a** needs to be a little more juicer like MJD's was/is

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aapox said:

He definitely should have at least gotten that 2nd TD, but it's hard not to be happy despite that. I certainly am.

The chances were there. On one attempt, can’t recall when, he could have maneuvered to his left. Unfortunately things happen quickly and the other times he really had little shot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPositive said:

I seriously feel like he broke like 5 dude’s ankles in this game. 

He absolutely shook Justin Reid on (i think) his TD run. And Reid is a nice player. Not to mention the constant breaking of wrap-tackles ALL game.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the goalline stuffs were an outlier for two main reasons:

1. They were up against a very good short yardage run defense featuring a first ballot Hall of Famer on the D-Line.

2. Everyone in the entire stadium knew they were just going to hand it off to CEH on every single one of those second half goalline plays. The play calling in that situation was just way too transparent.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the goalline stuffs were an outlier for two main reasons:

1. They were up against a very good short yardage run defense featuring a first ballot Hall of Famer on the D-Line.

2. Everyone in the entire stadium knew they were just going to hand it off to CEH on every single one of those second half goalline plays. The play calling in that situation was just way too transparent.

A draw at the 1 yard line is atrocious play calling.  Get the FB in there and let him pave the way.  They got way too cute at the 1 and Mahomes bailed them out from their atrocious play calling inside the 5.

• Like 1

LOVE CEH but you guys are pretty optimistic that his GL touches were an outlier tonight.

remember there was no pre season and kool aid man may be evaluating still. 

Edited by montgrove
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, montgrove said:

LOVE CEH but you guys are pretty optimistic that his GL touches were an outlier tonight.

I could see them giving Darrell Williams a shot down at the goal line, but honestly with their play calls inside the 5 I don't think any RB would've gotten in.  It was extremely predictable and those runs didn't give anyone a chance to break the goal line.

24 minutes ago, montgrove said:

he got the majority of the carries, and it was literally jj watt making plays + the line not getting a push and the plays being telegraphed. Even without those extra TDs and a few bad passes thrown his way he put up points this week. Darrell williams will get some shots here and there but outside of that CEH was making chunk plays throughout the game. Good start for the rookie

3 minutes ago, Guwop said:

he got the majority of the carries, and it was literally jj watt making plays + the line not getting a push and the plays being telegraphed. Even without those extra TDs and a few bad passes thrown his way he put up points this week. Darrell williams will get some shots here and there but outside of that CEH was making chunk plays throughout the game. Good start for the rookie

Agree I would have taken him 4 that’s how much I love him but I saw very little push at the line.

I saw Melvin Gordon last year get stuffed on the 1-4 times in a row last year and fumble the game away on the last one. And it wasn’t against JJ Watt at the beginning of the year. It happens. They’ll work on it. I’m more concerned they didn’t have one creative pass play for him, not even a simple screen, for a guy whose best asset is catching the ball. Head scratcher 

Edited by MrPositive

15 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

I saw Melvin Gordon last year get stuffed on the 1-4 times in a row last year and fumble the game away on the last one. And it wasn’t against JJ Watt at the beginning of the year. It happens. They’ll work on it. I’m more concerned they didn’t have one creative pass play for him, not even a simple screen, for a guy whose best asset is catching the ball. Head scratcher 

They probably game planned what they expected to be a weakness for Houston. Whatever it was, it worked. They whupped em. Don't worry, the receptions and passing game involvement will come, both as he gets more acclimated to the offense and they face teams weaker against it.

Great debut,  watt was playing on point so that helped to slow CEH down ,and they need to get clicking with his passes but overall a solid night and he was close to another td, so hopefully he can just build each week 

Main concern was the bone rattling hit he took on his second target.

Usage towards the end was a little bit dangerous imo.

Praying nothing shows up today from it.

He definitely looks a little smaller than I was anticipating,  and yea he took some hits that freaked me out a bit. I hope he can get a full season, if he does I think we're in for a treat

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

He definitely looks a little smaller than I was anticipating,  and yea he took some hits that freaked me out a bit. I hope he can get a full season, if he does I think we're in for a treat

He looks short, but not small.  Not sure what game you were watching.

what do we have here ...

- when drafting this kid, i fully expected Kamara-esque usage, not King Hendry lite 😁

- the number of carries was incredibly positive - he can tote it, fellas. 

- the juke n' jive translated well to this next level of competition - sure, it's only one game, but the moves and cuts and elusiveness were on full ankle breaking display ... it'll only get easier as he acclimates more. 

- the gl stuffs were a confluence of Watt living up to his H.o.F. stature, and the Chiefs line not exactly getting push and leverage ... a poster earlier in this thread pointed out that the Chiefs score an awful lot from 10+ yds out, and may not be the greatest at the gl plunge work - was a prescient observation, and sure came to fruition last night ... this is not to totally absolve the kid, there are highlights of him facing similar stuffs vs 'bama, and simply bouncing out with a spin, and finding paydirt - as he grows in this offense these short ydg plays will become less troublesome.  by all accounts he's a very humble and studious chap, guarantee he's gonna pore over ever last second of the game tape - Biennemy is a dynamite coach/mentor, and the two of them will get this sorted toot sweet - i expect at least one from the stripe next week, they will mandate getting this kid's confidence to a very comfortable level. 

- Darrel ... yep, he got work - we were advised as such, though it wasn't the "ZOMG!!1!111!1!! 50/50 SPLIT IS INEVITABLE!!1!1!!1!" ish some were pedaling.  look, the Chiefs have one eye on February, and CEH is gonna be such a vital cog of all they need to accomplish ... he will certainly cede snaps/series to Darrel as per, especially those which the Chiefs feel more comfortable using him ... we knew we weren't getting CMC level share, amirite?   good news is Darrel looks jaggy, especially when juxtaposed with this kid's jitterbug lightning - it's as plain as can be, and there is no other CS i'd want in control of my 1st rd pick than this K.C. crew ... he's just getting warmed up ... 70+% of the rb touches on this behemoth of an offense will yield at least top five numbers, if not top three ... with an outside shot to be top dog.  

in summation, the debut exceeded expectations, as far as the carries and rushing ydg were concerned - the lack of usage in the passing attack will remedy, and when it does, it's gonna be almost unfair to the rest of the leeg - i expect no less than 5 catches next week.  film room, baby ... we're gonna be treated to some ridiculous stat lines. 

tl;dr - this was a smashing debut, and we have barely scratched the surface ... dream big, folks - he's gonna deliver all we hoped for ✌

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 2

My dog could run for 150 with 5 man boxes all night.     Dion Lewis’ little brother has the easiest job in football outside Josh McCown.  

Ok-  Bitter broncos fan trolling complete  

no reason to think any of that changes.  Slow death always preferable to one long strike.   CEH is going to have a great year,  and god help us all if KC has a running game.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

My dog could run for 150 with 5 man boxes all night.     Dion Lewis’ little brother has the easiest job in football outside Josh McCown.  

Ok-  Bitter broncos fan trolling complete  

no reason to think any of that changes.  Slow death always preferable to one long strike.   CEH is going to have a great year,  and god help us all if KC has a running game.  

Sports Sportsmanias GIF - Sports Sportsmanias Nfl - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Pass catching is his specialty, I assume that will increase slowly every week, no preseason and limited reps I'm sure they wanted Darrell's experience in there protecting Maholmes to start the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cizastro said:

A draw at the 1 yard line is atrocious play calling.  Get the FB in there and let him pave the way.  They got way too cute at the 1 and Mahomes bailed them out from their atrocious play calling inside the 5.

The spread handoffs at the GL often are very effective for these smaller/shiftier backs. But if memory serves me correctly they did run one at the end out of the I formation and CEH got blown up just as badly. I'm not saying there's an issue here, but usually teams can impose their will at the 1 yard line even when the other team is pretty sure they're going to pound it in. It's one game though, I wouldn't worry about this unless they consistently have issues in short yardage. 

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

The spread handoffs at the GL often are very effective for these smaller/shiftier backs. But if memory serves me correctly they did run one at the end out of the I formation and CEH got blown up just as badly. I'm not saying there's an issue here, but usually teams can impose their will at the 1 yard line even when the other team is pretty sure they're going to pound it in. It's one game though, I wouldn't worry about this unless they consistently have issues in short yardage. 

this is not KCs specialty.   Darrel at the GL in a heavy set is the way to go.   Or use CEH more creatively on the edges.  Pounding the little fella isn’t going to work out too often.   Reid doesn’t want to give much away in week 1 tho. 

• Like 1

Great night, they just need to create him some space at the goal line or bump him outside. That was the only disappointment of the night getting stuffed at the goal line. Good sign though that they kept feeding him there. It's all his backfield. Cowbell for the bell cow!

b55355554ce5aab070a035e2825b2586.gif

• Like 4

They need to be more creative for him at the GL or run in Darrel if they are just gonna run it up the gut.

Kid looks dynamic when he gets some space and would be deadly at the 2nd level.  Having weapons at each position will always keep the defense honest and allow CEH to work in space.  Doesn't seem to have much of a power game though for what I saw last night but he should be very good once they get him involved in the passing game.

I will say that Kelechi Osemele was a heck of an upgrade to their O-Line and dude is an absolute mauler in the run game.

• Like 2