thebadferret

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

19 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Pass catching is his specialty, I assume that will increase slowly every week, no preseason and limited reps I'm sure they wanted Darrell's experience in there protecting Maholmes to start the season.

This is exactly what it was. 

4 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

This is exactly what it was. 

Don’t know about that.    They need another back to have a role and Darrel is good at pass pro/ dumpoffs. 

doesn’t really matter tho.  CEH is going to get plenty of touches 

65% snap count. 25 carries. You gotta come away from this game excited. Hopefully he gets some more passing game usage in more competitive games. 

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Don’t know about that.    They need another back to have a role and Darrel is good at pass pro/ dumpoffs. 

doesn’t really matter tho.  CEH is going to get plenty of touches 

Anyone have data on routes run? I watched the whole game and it seems he ran a alot. He was mahommes 1st read many times and at least twice at the goal line.

Edited by nmartinez12443

23 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

They need to be more creative for him at the GL or run in Darrel if they are just gonna run it up the gut.

Kid looks dynamic when he gets some space and would be deadly at the 2nd level.  Having weapons at each position will always keep the defense honest and allow CEH to work in space.  Doesn't seem to have much of a power game though for what I saw last night but he should be very good once they get him involved in the passing game.

I will say that Kelechi Osemele was a heck of an upgrade to their O-Line and dude is an absolute mauler in the run game.

Yeah I agree, and think they will...this is Andy Reid we are talking about, things could look totally different next week. Still this is a team that will pass a ton in the RZ, and I expect that CEH will be apart of that, and soon.

I should prob know, but I think the o-line is the same outside of Osemele coming aboard for the Canadian doc...but that looks to be a big upgrade. That guy was always a very good lineman. He was a wall in pass pro last night and was constantly moving the d-line to allow CEH free through the trench.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Anyone have data on routes run? I watched the whole game and it seems he ran a alot. He was mahommes 1st read many times and at least twice at the goal line.

Two targets doesn’t really indicated that he was Mahomes first read. It would seem that if he was the first read many times, he would have received more than a couple of poorly thrown targets. 

Here are the RB's to rush for at least 100 yards in Week 1 of their rookie season since 2010. CEH joins a short list...
image.png.032db06c2ca3516d43ca2b377cc28f3f.png

And here are the RB's to rush for at least 120 yards in Week 1 of their rookie season this century (since 2000). CEH joins an even shorter-list...

image.png.7a49216b1cb2e7f66ae91cb9a5aa8d3d.png

47 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Don’t know about numbers but I noticed several times when CEH leaked out into the flat Houston had someone staying with him. I don’t assume that gameplan was necessarily designed to stop CEH versus Mahomes tendency to throw to RB’s generally. But there were a few times Mahomes looked his way but he wasn’t open.  I’m not worried about his receiving role last night, because he’s too good and too dangerous out of the backfield for the chiefs to keep him one dimensional and Telegraph run vs passing plays.

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

The spread handoffs at the GL often are very effective for these smaller/shiftier backs. But if memory serves me correctly they did run one at the end out of the I formation and CEH got blown up just as badly. I'm not saying there's an issue here, but usually teams can impose their will at the 1 yard line even when the other team is pretty sure they're going to pound it in. It's one game though, I wouldn't worry about this unless they consistently have issues in short yardage. 

The one play I saw at around the 4 yard line where they used motion was pretty decent.  CEH got to like the 1.  The rest of the power packages were blown up.  He was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage.  If they look at the film closely, I don't think they're going to pin the failures on CEH.  He had literally no chance to get in.

We will see what happens.  I don't think Darrel would have done any better.  Probably worse as he is slower to the line.  They will work on the goalline stuff next week.  I'd be surprised if they give up on CEH.  They have been practicing the GL packages all training camp with CEH there and have already come to the conclusion that he's better at it than Darrel.  I doubt they switch it up because JJ Watt stuffed them.  More likely that they work on execution with the same personnel.

25 minutes ago, FeastMode said:

Don’t know about numbers but I noticed several times when CEH leaked out into the flat Houston had someone staying with him. I don’t assume that gameplan was necessarily designed to stop CEH versus Mahomes tendency to throw to RB’s generally. But there were a few times Mahomes looked his way but he wasn’t open.  I’m not worried about his receiving role last night, because he’s too good and too dangerous out of the backfield for the chiefs to keep him one dimensional and Telegraph run vs passing plays.

It seemed, more often than not, it was a DB taking down CEH and not a lineman or LB.  This bodes pretty well.  HOU was aiming to take away the pass and taking their chances against the run.  Can't imagine any other team focusing on the run and taking their chances against Mahomes.  Part of that defensive plan is making sure anyone leaking out from the backfield is covered, and I thought HOU did a great job on covering CEH.

The KC offense is unfair.  You got the best QB in the league and now you have a RB that, on other teams, demands 8 men in the box.  He looks that good to me.  I'd love to see CEH's elusiveness rating last night.  He looked so hard to bring down because he is so small.  I bet the defenders had trouble just seeing him behind those linemen.

Edited by kp96

No shares. Eternally sad- he went in the high 1st round in most leagues, and $51 in my auction. I wanted to pay $55 but chickened out.

Hope you all enjoy it this year- I loved seeing him in college- he just has "it" and passes the eye test really well. Kinda reminds me of Kareem Hunt in a way which is ironic- doesn't go down and just glides through traffic. 

Lets put Edwards-Helaire's incredible debut into perspective with the numbers. Edwards-Helaire became just the 10th running back in NFL history to rush for 100 yards and score a rushing touchdown in his first career game, and was the first running back to accomplish the feat since Saquon Barkley did it in 2018. 

Edwards-Helaire is just the third player since 1950 to finish with 25 carries and 138 rushing yards and a touchdown in his debut, joining William Andrews (1979) and Cadillac Williams (2005). Of players to finish with 100+ rushing yards and a touchdown in his debut, Andrews has the most rushing yards with 167 while Williams and Kareem Hunt are tied for second with 148. Edwards-Helaire is fourth on the all-time list with 138 yards. 

Edwards-Helaire's 138 rushing yards are the 10th-most for a player in his debut in league history. He received 66% of his team's running back snaps to Darrel Williams' 34%. The Chiefs ran the ball 34 times in the opener signaling a potential change in how the offense will operate moving forward with Edwards-Helaire now in the mix. For reference, they didn't have a single game with 30 carries during the regular season and postseason last year. Kansas City did not have a game where it had 30 carries since the 2018 AFC divisional playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts and last recorded a 30+ carry game in the regular season in a Week 13 win over the Oakland Raiders -- a streak of 20 consecutive games (not counting postseason). 

10 minutes ago, kp96 said:

The one play I saw at around the 4 yard line where they used motion was pretty decent.  CEH got to like the 1.  The rest of the power packages were blown up.  He was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage.  If they look at the film closely, I don't think they're going to pin the failures on CEH.  He had literally no chance to get in.

We will see what happens.  I don't think Darrel would have done any better.  Probably worse as he is slower to the line.  They will work on the goalline stuff next week.  I'd be surprised if they give up on CEH.  They have been practicing the GL packages all training camp with CEH there and have already come to the conclusion that he's better at it than Darrel.  I doubt they switch it up because JJ Watt stuffed them.  More likely that they work on execution with the same personnel.

I agree. 

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Lets put Edwards-Helaire's incredible debut into perspective with the numbers. Edwards-Helaire became just the 10th running back in NFL history to rush for 100 yards and score a rushing touchdown in his first career game, and was the first running back to accomplish the feat since Saquon Barkley did it in 2018. 

Edwards-Helaire is just the third player since 1950 to finish with 25 carries and 138 rushing yards and a touchdown in his debut, joining William Andrews (1979) and Cadillac Williams (2005). Of players to finish with 100+ rushing yards and a touchdown in his debut, Andrews has the most rushing yards with 167 while Williams and Kareem Hunt are tied for second with 148. Edwards-Helaire is fourth on the all-time list with 138 yards. 

Edwards-Helaire's 138 rushing yards are the 10th-most for a player in his debut in league history. He received 66% of his team's running back snaps to Darrel Williams' 34%. The Chiefs ran the ball 34 times in the opener signaling a potential change in how the offense will operate moving forward with Edwards-Helaire now in the mix. For reference, they didn't have a single game with 30 carries during the regular season and postseason last year. Kansas City did not have a game where it had 30 carries since the 2018 AFC divisional playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts and last recorded a 30+ carry game in the regular season in a Week 13 win over the Oakland Raiders -- a streak of 20 consecutive games (not counting postseason). 

KC's RPO is going to be deadly now.  Mahomes just has to read the defense and if it looks like they are playing the pass, CEH is gonna get chunk yardage, as we saw last night.  How do you defend this?

Dude got absolutely stuffed at the goal line a ton and Darrell usurped all of his 3rd down duties. CEH is more like volume heavy 2nd round pick more so than a 1st rounder.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, kp96 said:

KC's RPO is going to be deadly now.  Mahomes just has to read the defense and if it looks like they are playing the pass, CEH is gonna get chunk yardage, as we saw last night.  How do you defend this?

More of a PPO than R with Mahomes

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. RBs can R

Edited by lolcopter

7 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

Dude got absolutely stuffed at the goal line a ton and Darrell usurped all of his 3rd down duties. CEH is more like volume heavy 2nd round pick more so than a 1st rounder.

Big mad you didn't draft him lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

Im confident they will work on that, first game no preseason, had all the opportunity in the world, that was baked into his draft tag

9 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

lol, he will punch those goal lines in eventually. Pass game is obviously gonna improve. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, straightfire118 said:

You can count the number of "every down" backs in the league on one hand.  CMC, Saquon, Zeke....who else?  Everyone else is getting spelled by another back and losing touches.  Guys like Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry are only on the field like 66% of the time.  No different here and it's fine.  25 carries is a ridiculous workload...who cares if he's giving some to another RB?  It keeps him fresh.  Plus, 3rd down is usually a passing down so if you're going to rest your star RB, that's the down to do it.  Why have him in there getting clocked by a LB?  Also, in a game where they are behind, I wouldn't be surprised to see CEH in there on 3rd downs in catchup mode.

Edited by kp96
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, kp96 said:

You can count the number of "every down" backs in the league on one hand.  CMC, Saquon, Zeke....who else?  Everyone else is getting spelled by another back and losing touches.  Guys like Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry are only on the field like 66% of the time.  No different here and it's fine.  25 carries is a ridiculous workload...who cares if he's giving some to another RB?  It keeps him fresh.  Plus, 3rd down is usually a passing down so if you're going to rest your star RB, that's the down to do it.  Why have him in there getting clocked by a LB?  Also, in a game where they are behind, I wouldn't be surprised to see CEH in there on 3rd downs in catchup mode.

Bingo.  If this is all we get, I’m happy.