thebadferret

Clyde Edwards-Helaire 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

This news is and was expected. Everyone is hoping for Kareem Hunt right out of the gates against New England. Just like coach Boone says just like Novocain give it time baby. He his going to be the guy and in keeper or dynasty leagues he is going in the top 5. Redrafts use caution or you will take some lickings early.


bingo.    Spend all the time you want analyzing draft position,  contract amounts,   etc, etc....    
 

The Chiefs are telling us how it’s going to be handled...just like they told us last season-  and sure enough.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:


bingo.    Spend all the time you want analyzing draft position,  contract amounts,   etc, etc....    
 

The Chiefs are telling us how it’s going to be handled...just like they told us last season-  and sure enough.  

 

In keeper and dynasty, I welcome those comments, lol. They wouldn't affect my thoughts on him, but maybe they'll affect other owners. In redrafts, I doubt I'd be willing to pay the price for CEH. I've said all along that DW will get his touches in 2020 as long as he stays healthy. Then he'll exit stage right when his contract runs out after this season, and CEH should take over the backfield in 2021. But, I do suspect CEH will be getting the bulk of the touches over the last few games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:


bingo.    Spend all the time you want analyzing draft position,  contract amounts,   etc, etc....    
 

The Chiefs are telling us how it’s going to be handled...just like they told us last season-  and sure enough.  

 

How what's going to be handled? You think he's referring to week 1?

I suppose it's possible - kinda like how Nicklaus, Palmer, and Player kick off the Masters as honorary starters.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

 

How what's going to be handled? You think he's referring to week 1?

I suppose it's possible - kinda like how Nicklaus, Palmer, and Player kick off the Masters as honorary starters.


loolll.... Well played 🍈 

 

I’ll be in here eating crow if that happens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are getting lost in this thread so just a reminder that Williams sucks at football...

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

 

In keeper and dynasty, I welcome those comments, lol. They wouldn't affect my thoughts on him, but maybe they'll affect other owners. In redrafts, I doubt I'd be willing to pay the price for CEH. I've said all along that DW will get his touches in 2020 as long as he stays healthy. Then he'll exit stage right when his contract runs out after this season, and CEH should take over the backfield in 2021. But, I do suspect CEH will be getting the bulk of the touches over the last few games. 

Look, the Chiefs said the same thing about Ware in 2017 before Ware suffered his injury in the pre-season. Then they gave the ball to Hunt and Hunt never looked back. If CEH is competent and does a better job than Williams he will end up with the majority of the touches and the lead role next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, devaster said:

Look, the Chiefs said the same thing about Ware in 2017 before Ware suffered his injury in the pre-season. Then they gave the ball to Hunt and Hunt never looked back. If CEH is competent and does a better job than Williams he will end up with the majority of the touches and the lead role next season.

This is what people fail to see. Reid has never been a guy that loves a RBBC. The only reason they’ve had one since Hunt left is because they haven’t had a good RB.

Yes, his bellcow gets slightly less touches than a bellcow for most other teams. However, they’re going to make up for it with efficiency and scoring opportunities. If CEH is as good as I think he is I see little reason as to why he shouldn’t take over. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to CEH’s fantasy relevance in 2020, this is probably the most important sentence ftom his scouting report:
 

“He has the talent to become a good, three-down back in time, but needs to improve in pass protection.“

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/clyde-edwards-helaire?id=32194544-5781-5562-8963-df06e680f700
 

With what figures to be a very limited training camp, this could very well limit his upside in 2020.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

With regards to CEH’s fantasy relevance in 2020, this is probably the most important sentence ftom his scouting report:
 

“He has the talent to become a good, three-down back in time, but needs to improve in pass protection.“

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/clyde-edwards-helaire?id=32194544-5781-5562-8963-df06e680f700
 

With what figures to be a very limited training camp, this could very well limit his upside in 2020.

Great point - he gets an “incomplete” from me as far as his pass-pro grade - mainly because he was barely ever asked to do it in college.  The takeover, while inevitable, may take some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Roy. Roy? Roy!

Solid add to the CEH thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 3:30 PM, devaster said:

Look, the Chiefs said the same thing about Ware in 2017 before Ware suffered his injury in the pre-season. Then they gave the ball to Hunt and Hunt never looked back. If CEH is competent and does a better job than Williams he will end up with the majority of the touches and the lead role next season.


Look, I never said CEH wouldn’t eventually take the lead role. In fact, I’ve said multiple times that I believe he’ll eventually take over the backfield in 2020, and then it’ll be his alone in 2021. That said, as of this moment, in a redraft, I wouldn’t draft him at his ADP because Williams will be very involved early in the season. And if Williams stays healthy? Who knows what happens at this point. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/28162/clyde-edwards-helaire-can-thrive-early-in-chiefs-passing-game

"It started early on, me being a receiving back in high school," said Edwards-Helaire, who the Chiefs drafted in the first round of the 2020 NFL draft. "I was on the same team as Derrius Guice in high school ... so I had to find a different way to get on the field. They wanted me to get on the field so I started playing slot receiver, and I kind of hopped back and forth from slot to the backfield in a two-back set, so ultimately it was just kind of something that was part of my DNA."

 

Pretty scary HS team to counter it seems... Same school that also Warrick Dunn went to in the past. Probably ranked a couple notches above Polk High.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy Reid called CEH better than Brian Westbrook.

 

That's some high praise. In westbrooks 3rd season with Andy Reid he rushed for 177/812/3 and had a receiving line of 73/703/6 in only 12 games as the starter.

 

In one of Westbrooks best years with Andy Reid Westbrook had 278/1,333/7 and 90 catches, 771 yards and 5 TDs.

 

Brian Westbrook with Andy Reid was fantasy PPR gold.

 

If Helaire is gonna be better than that then sell your soul to buy in dynasty, I just did.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Andy Reid called CEH better than Brian Westbrook.

 

That's some high praise. In westbrooks 3rd season with Andy Reid he rushed for 177/812/3 and had a receiving line of 73/703/6 in only 12 games as the starter.

 

In one of Westbrooks best years with Andy Reid Westbrook had 278/1,333/7 and 90 catches, 771 yards and 5 TDs.

 

Brian Westbrook with Andy Reid was fantasy PPR gold.

 

If Helaire is gonna be better than that then sell your soul to buy in dynasty, I just did.

That sounds about like the going rate for him in dynasty leagues these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

If Helaire is gonna be better than that then sell your soul to buy in dynasty, I just did.

Souls are overrated anyway, but I didn't know the going rate was a 1.1 pick. Still, good to know the devil plays fantasy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Souls are overrated anyway, but I didn't know the going rate was a 1.1 pick. Still, good to know the devil plays fantasy.

 

Maybe souls are just cheaper wherever you are but I feel like I got the best offer for mine that I could get.

 

Andy Reid's personally drafted 1st round RB definitely worth 1 soul.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, Impreza178 said:

Oof Reid. lets take a smaller, slower, less explosive Swift in the first round.   31 other teams thank you.   This will be a timeshare I avoid.   

 

I think we're in the minority here but I'm feeling the same way.

I mean, how excited would we be if they landed a guy like Taylor or Dobbins....guys that could be true 3 down RB's and a threat for double digit TD's?  And threats to handle 20+ touches weekly?  Maybe I'm old school but I'd have much rather had one of those guys if it were me drafting.  

I just have a really tough time getting confident with RB's that have about a 10-15 touch ceiling every week.  Those guys just have to be ultra efficient with their touches. 

And what kind of TD upside will Edwards have?  I can't see him getting pounded in the red zone.  He's gonna have to bust longer TD's and that's not something I like betting on.

Yeah, he'll be okay in PPR leagues and he'll clearly have more way more value in PPR leagues than standard leagues.

I just have a feeling he won't be on many of my teams as I view him more of a RB3 type that I want on my bench as bye week filler and get the feeling many others will be treating him as a high end RB2.  I'm just not buying it.

Maybe I'm just gun shy after falling for the David Montgomery hype last year.   

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tts42572 said:

 

I think we're in the minority here but I'm feeling the same way.

I mean, how excited would we be if they landed a guy like Taylor or Dobbins....guys that could be true 3 down RB's and a threat for double digit TD's?  And threats to handle 20+ touches weekly?  Maybe I'm old school but I'd have much rather had one of those guys if it were me drafting.  

I just have a really tough time getting confident with RB's that have about a 10-15 touch ceiling every week.  Those guys just have to be ultra efficient with their touches. 

And what kind of TD upside will Edwards have?  I can't see him getting pounded in the red zone.  He's gonna have to bust longer TD's and that's not something I like betting on.

Yeah, he'll be okay in PPR leagues and he'll clearly have more way more value in PPR leagues than standard leagues.

I just have a feeling he won't be on many of my teams as I view him more of a RB3 type that I want on my bench as bye week filler and get the feeling many others will be treating him as a high end RB2.  I'm just not buying it.

Maybe I'm just gun shy after falling for the David Montgomery hype last year.   

 

I agree. If he ends up being the best player out of the group, so be it. But to me Swift, Dobbins, and Taylor would all do just fine in KC's system and have a chance to add a true grinder ability when they are ahead and milking the clock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q: Three years from now, who will be the top running back fantasy asset from the 2020 NFL Draft class?

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)
Pairing with Patrick Mahomes would usually be enough, but the fact that CEH was a first-round pick is more important. The rookie contract for a first-round pick means he’ll be there at least four years, if not more. The money he’s being paid for that spot also means he’s officially the highest-paid running back on the Chiefs’ roster. What he offers in the passing game, to go along with the running game, makes him a complete offensive weapon. Which isn’t to say Jonathan Taylor won’t be very good too. He will. But he’ll get paid roughly 30% less while not having a fifth-year team option. Then there’s the quarterback situation, which may be solidified for 2020, but isn’t the next year or beyond.
– Michael Moore (@DLF_Moore)

It’s hard not to be excited about Edwards-Helaire’s long-term fantasy outlook. With improved pass blocking, the LSU product has the talent to become a three-down back in what should be the NFL’s most prolific offense. Edwards-Helaire runs with enough power and burst to be a reliable back in goal-line situations, and he caught 55 passes for the Tigers last season. Edwards-Helaire also might face the least resistance to becoming a bell-cow back. Damien Williams will likely handle some of the work in 2020, but his contract is up after this season. Jonathan Taylor has a better offensive line in front of him and might only have Marlon Mack in his way for one season. But Indy’s quarterback situation is a concern beyond the 2020 season, and pass-catching wasn’t Taylor’s forte at Wisconsin. While I love the fit for J.K. Dobbins in Baltimore, he’ll still have to compete with Mark Ingram for at least one more year and will ultimately lose production to Lamar Jackson. Cam Akers is a great sleeper pick in dynasty leagues, but we shouldn’t forget about Darrell Henderson, who was everyone’s deep sleeper last season. Plus, the Rams didn’t do much to improve their offensive line. I’ll take the tailback with a well-rounded skill set and Patrick Mahomes alongside him.
– Matt Barbato (@RealMattBarbato)

We know that landing spot is more important for a running back than it is for a wide receiver. For Clyde Edwards-Helaire, there was no better possible landing spot than the Kansas City Chiefs, who figure to have Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid around for the foreseeable future. The last time Reid’s offense had a running back as talented as CEH was with Kareem Hunt in 2017. That season, Hunt scored 18.4 fantasy points per game while finishing as the RB4 (PPR). For someone who plays so well as a receiver out of the backfield, there is ample opportunity for fantasy success in this offense. Edwards-Helaire walks into a crowded running back room this year, but Damien Williams, Darrel Williams, and DeAndre Washington are all free agents after this season. That leaves Darwin Thompson in a backup role beginning in 2021. CEH has the perfect mix of talent, opportunity, and scheme to wind up becoming the most valuable fantasy asset in this year’s rookie class.
– Brendan Tuma (@toomuchtuma)

There were a bunch of great running backs selected in the second round of this class, but I like the only first-rounder the most. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a seasoned receiving option who tallied 55 receptions for 453 yards and a score in his final season at LSU. Being a first-round pick is also important, as he’ll sign a four-year deal with Kansas City to become the highest-paid RB on the team with the longest guaranteed deal too. The 28-year-old starting RB, Damien Williams, is owed $2.175M in 2020 and becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2021. The Chiefs could opt to keep the younger and, as of the next 12 months, more expensive RB. The Chiefs’ running backs combined for 87 receptions, 626 yards, and four touchdowns last season, and Williams led all the way with 30 receptions, 213 yards, and two touchdowns. CEH can at least be a third-down back and be a PPR threat as a rookie if he can’t beat out Williams before becoming Kansas City’s lead back in years two and three.
– Vaughn Dalzell (@VaughnDalzell)

Clyde Edwards-Helaire was the first running back selected off the board in the 2020 NFL Draft. The LSU product’s style resembles Brian Westbrook, a former fantasy stud RB under Andy Reid. Edwards-Helaire logged 215 carries for 1,414 yards and 16 touchdowns across 15 games in his junior year. It was reported that Damien Williams would be the Chiefs’ starting running back and the two would form a one-two punch. Williams, however, has never had more than 111 carries in a single season in his career. Chiefs GM Brett Veach described Edwards-Helaire as a “franchise running back, true playmaker, someone special and unique.” CEH is a polished pass-catcher and should thrive in Kansas City’s explosive offense. It won’t be long before he replaces Williams once and for all to become the Chiefs’ primary back. In such a prime landing spot, Edwards-Helaire has the potential to be a top-10 fantasy RB for the next three seasons.
– Brad Camara (@beerad30)

 

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/05/who-will-be-the-top-fantasy-football-rb-from-the-2020-nfl-draft-class/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Q: Three years from now, who will be the top running back fantasy asset from the 2020 NFL Draft class?

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (KC)

 

not if he's splitting the backfield with frank gore

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

0PD6nJRpE7Uc0slo6OD0Zbarj2wLkfWTOmKJDy19


Loooooooollll!!

 

Burrows season was legendary.  A tomato could have put up impressive stats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:


Loooooooollll!!

 

Burrows season was legendary.  A tomato could have put up impressive stats.  

 

Are Patrick Maholmes seasons not legendary?

 

Does. Not. Compute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Are Patrick Maholmes seasons not legendary?

 

Does. Not. Compute.


for starting Rb Damien Williams....could be a real nice 2020 season.  The rookie will be a good COP if his pass pro progresses quickly.   
 

😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.