Sign in to follow this  
FouLLine

Jordan Love 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Quite the controversial pick.  Yeah the draft day coverage spun it as Farve was 35 when The Packers drafted Rodgers and Rodgers is 36 now when the Packers draft Jordan Love.  

 

But the reason this is a horrible pick is because The Packers were one game away from The Superbowl.  At least when The Packers got Aaron Rodgers he fell many picks further down than he was projected to.  To get Love they gave up a 4th rounder just to move up 4 picks.  For a guy who likely won't help their team for at least 3 more season.

 

You know who this was a great pick for?  The Seahawks, The 49ers, The Saints, The Bears.  When The Packers are in a tight playoff game later this season they're going to wish they had a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder out producing on the field.  But instead they'll have a guy holding a clipboard.  You'd think The Saints would be drafting Drew Brees predecessor at least a season or two before The Packers draft the replacement to Aaron Rodgers.  But The Saints instead decided to draft protection for their franchise QB at the end of his career.

 

Then to top it off that clipboard holding, salary cap eating, uselessness is a player who threw for 20 TDs and 17 INTs last year.  I'm sorry but that in itself isn't first round talent to begin with.  Then factor in 3 QBs were already taken in the first which everyone knew there was considerable drop off after Herbert.  Plus my boy Jalen Hurts and Jake Fromm were still on the board.  Jordan Love was a known project going into the draft.  How many of the contending teams are going to roll the dice on a project QB?  The teams to pick after the 26th pick were The Ravens (Lamar), The Titans (Tannehill off a career year), The Dolphins (drafted Tua), The Vikings (Cousins), The Chiefs (Mahomes).  The first pick in the 2nd The Bengals obviously aren't taking another QB.  Many experts were saying Love would fall into the 2nd round because of being a project. 

 

I hope Rodgers requests a trade for this bone head move and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a Bears fan.  I wonder how many picks end up being between Love and the next QB taken.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you, but I think they felt someone was going to trade up for him.  I'm curious to see how Rodgers treats Love.  They must have really wanted him.  Hopefully they brought Rodgers in on this potential move to avoid any awkwardness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WEIL3R said:

I agree with you, but I think they felt someone was going to trade up for him.  I'm curious to see how Rodgers treats Love.  They must have really wanted him.  Hopefully they brought Rodgers in on this potential move to avoid any awkwardness.

Last I heard from a few hours ago, Gutekunst hasn’t even spoken to Rodgers yet about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Last I heard from a few hours ago, Gutekunst hasn’t even spoken to Rodgers yet about it.

You're right.  I just read that.  Should be interesting how it all plays out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packers have totally squandered Rodgers' greatness. He's not perfect but he should easily have more than 1 super bowl appearance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumbest pick in the draft...by far.    Rodgers hasn’t indicated retirement and is due a big contract in a year or so.   This was a 12-4 contender with needs all over the D and at wr.   Unless I woke up in crazyland where you release a HOF qb for a guy who won’t hardly see an nfl reg season snap.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Dumbest pick in the draft...by far.    Rodgers hasn’t indicated retirement and is due a big contract in a year or so.   This was a 12-4 contender with needs all over the D and at wr.   Unless I woke up in crazyland where you release a HOF qb for a guy who won’t hardly see an nfl reg season snap.   

Spot on . No reliable WR2 to speak of. No significant pass rush, middling linebackers, solid secondary. Just a terrible terrible useless pick.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issue with drafting a replacement for a 36 year old QB in the first if you feel like he's the guy.

I'm more concerned that he's NOT the guy.

Chances are highly likely that he will be an erratic, turnover prone mess, IMO.  Would be a completely different scenario if we were talking Burrow or Tua.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Spot on . No reliable WR2 to speak of. No significant pass rush, middling linebackers, solid secondary. Just a terrible terrible useless pick.

One minor nit-pick: the Smiths are extremely good pass-rushers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I have no issue with drafting a replacement for a 36 year old QB in the first if you feel like he's the guy.

I'm more concerned that he's NOT the guy.

Chances are highly likely that he will be an erratic, turnover prone mess, IMO.  Would be a completely different scenario if we were talking Burrow or Tua.

If that pick compromises your ability to win a championship with a HOF QB and a closing window, I think it's a bad pick.

I also think your concerns about Love are legitimate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timexsocialclub said:

If that pick compromises your ability to win a championship with a HOF QB and a closing window, I think it's a bad pick.

I also think your concerns about Love are legitimate.

I think we're starting to see Rodgers descent into "game manager" honestly.  He still looks great in spurts but I think we saw this become Aaron Jones's team last year.

For all the talk about "worst 13-3 team ever" they did some things really well.  They've got great pass rush and pretty good coverage and they run the ball well.  There are some weak spots in the run defense (due to scheme IMO, hard to be a good run stopping unit with 5 down lineman and exotic blitzes) and pass catching depth.  But honestly I didn't see any receivers at that pick that knocked my socks off.

I dunno.  I understand getting the QB there.  Just not THAT QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's where I'm at. I don't hate them taking a QB early, I just don't think this was the year(due to structure of Rodgers contract) and I certainly don't love the prospect.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope, for Love’s sake, that he sees the field before the team has to decide on his fifth-year option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst part is that they traded up for him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I think we're starting to see Rodgers descent into "game manager" honestly.  He still looks great in spurts but I think we saw this become Aaron Jones's team last year.

For all the talk about "worst 13-3 team ever" they did some things really well.  They've got great pass rush and pretty good coverage and they run the ball well.  There are some weak spots in the run defense (due to scheme IMO, hard to be a good run stopping unit with 5 down lineman and exotic blitzes) and pass catching depth.  But honestly I didn't see any receivers at that pick that knocked my socks off.

I dunno.  I understand getting the QB there.  Just not THAT QB.

 

I'm with you on this- i don't pretend to know if Love is good or not, but taking a QB to replace a 36 year old who is declining is not a bad move. Just because Brees and Brady are 40 something wizards doesn't mean Rodgers follows suit- he's taken wayyyy more hits than those two.   

I still think its bold as hell though- Super Bowl window is still open and they had some obvious needs.  Also there's damage control now to be done with Rodgers, but lets face it, he's kind of a salty prick no matter what happens, so what difference does it make.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, Covid-19 has some serious psychological effects in addition to physical health concerns.  Just ask the Packers 15 year old coach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can somewhat understand using a high pick on a QB for the future even if your current QB is still elite.

What absolutely boggles my mind is why so early? They could’ve done this in 2 years or so instead of now. It’s not even like Love is some elite prospect that slid down the draft. He had a basically 1:1 TD/INT ratio in the Mountain West last year. He’s a risky pick regardless.

Let’s say within the next few years Rodgers gets hurt for 2 games and Love comes in and lights it up. What are you gonna do? Bench Aaron ******** Rodgers? You’re going to send your young QB who looks awesome back to hold the clipboard? There was problems when the Giants did it with Manning and Manning can’t hold Rodgers jockstrap. So they’re just going to be looking at another Jimmy G scenario. 

It’s just dumb from every angle. 36 isn’t even THAT old nowadays with how QBs are protected and treated by the NFL. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend saw this online and mentioned it to me yesterday...the QB's for Green Bay are now A-Rod and J. Lo. 

And crazy stat time. Jordan Love is the first offensive skill position player picked in the 1st round by Green Bay since...Aaron Rodgers all the way back in 2005. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I can somewhat understand using a high pick on a QB for the future even if your current QB is still elite.

What absolutely boggles my mind is why so early? They could’ve done this in 2 years or so instead of now. It’s not even like Love is some elite prospect that slid down the draft. He had a basically 1:1 TD/INT ratio in the Mountain West last year. He’s a risky pick regardless.

Let’s say within the next few years Rodgers gets hurt for 2 games and Love comes in and lights it up. What are you gonna do? Bench Aaron ******** Rodgers? You’re going to send your young QB who looks awesome back to hold the clipboard? There was problems when the Giants did it with Manning and Manning can’t hold Rodgers jockstrap. So they’re just going to be looking at another Jimmy G scenario. 

It’s just dumb from every angle. 36 isn’t even THAT old nowadays with how QBs are protected and treated by the NFL. 

Bingo

 

Rodgers will want a new deal next offseason-  and I can’t see him agreeing to less than 3 years.   Especially with the disrespect you showed him bringing in a first round qb pick without ANY indication of retirement pending.  
 

this is another jimmy g scenario setting up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Love will see the field this year, that Baaaaaaad man who's made of glass has now become the saaaaaaaaad man. And will be on his way out of GB just like what happened to Favre. 

Edited by Rush2112
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Love will see the field this year, that Baaaaaaad man who's made of glass has now become the saaaaaaaaad man. And will be on his way out of GB just like what happened to Favre. 

In a "I want to watch the world burn" kinda light, I hope Rodgers goes full-nuclear weapon on the front office and refuses to play, forcing them to throw The Boy Wonder into the fire on week 1. Makes you wonder what the ******** point of turning up is when there seems to be no concerted effort to draft the players that might help him get over the hump.

I can also see his eyes rolling from here at the 2nd round RB and the 3rd round TE.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just heard Schefter claim that he and Hurts were to help ensure that teams have QBs in case their starters get Covid.

That's...a reason, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 11:33 AM, Impreza178 said:

Dumbest pick in the draft...by far.    Rodgers hasn’t indicated retirement and is due a big contract in a year or so.   This was a 12-4 contender with needs all over the D and at wr.   Unless I woke up in crazyland where you release a HOF qb for a guy who won’t hardly see an nfl reg season snap.   


Saints picking a first-round center after trading up for a second-round center last year (who started 16 games and has pro bowlers on either side, lol) is dumber. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this