Flyman75

Joe Burrow 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I think he was largely a product of how good his team and WRs were. As I have mentioned, I dont trust players thay stay in college that long. Particularly QBs. 

I agree with ya for the most part. I think that the cream rises to the top and if you’re elite you’ll beat out whoever the other guy is except in extraordinary situations. Like Barry sanders was the best RB in college football but no one knew until his junior year because he just happened to be behind future hall of famer Thurman Thomas. But when he got his chance he exploded. Idk the situation on why burrow transferred or why he couldn’t beat out competition Maybe the coach just didn’t like him? Maybe he smashed one of the coaches faces into car windshield and then took their mother out to a nice seafood dinner then never called her again.. idk..so I’m not going to comment on it. Besides their age I think it’s pretty similar to kyler Murray. He has to transfer to play he went to a good offense with good players and already had all the physical tools so he became a stud. A few older guys that had good nfl careers were the obvious Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia

i think burrow has plenty of talent but I give a lot of credit for his play to joe brady as well. He was seemingly the only thing that changed for burrow in his seasons at LSU and he had the best statistical qb season of all time when Brady got there. If he fails I think it will be more because of the poorly ran bengals and not lack of talent. 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Haha 1

Now that Dalton has been released, looks like there are no impediments towards starting right out of the chute.

Guess we'll see how it goes!

27 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Now that Dalton has been released, looks like there are no impediments towards starting right out of the chute.

Guess we'll see how it goes!

He has the weapons at least at the skilled positions to succeed in AJ Green, Ty Boyd, Joe Mixon, Gio Bernard, and even Tee Higgins.

Just now, BleachyBlonde said:

He has the weapons at least at the skilled positions to succeed in AJ Green, Ty Boyd, Joe Mixon, Gio Bernard, and even Tee Higgins.

I'm not penciling in AJ until he gets an extension or suits up for a game.  Last year was a nightmare.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm not penciling in AJ until he gets an extension or suits up for a game.  Last year was a nightmare.

I agree, but skill Joe Burrow has a lot to work with in the skill position area. It would be a lot better for Joe Burrow if they had a reliable TE. I suppose they will go with Drew Sample from Washington at TE out of the gate.

Edited by BleachyBlonde

9 minutes ago, BleachyBlonde said:

I agree, but skill Joe Burrow has a lot to work with in the skill position area. It would be a lot better for Joe Burrow if they had a reliable TE. I suppose they will go with Drew Sample from Washington at TE out of the gate.

Boyd looks like a keeper.  Tee made some big catches for Clemson, could work out.  The biggest question for me is Jonah Williams, he's going to need great protection early on and the line was a trainwreck last year.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Boyd looks like a keeper.  Tee made some big catches for Clemson, could work out.  The biggest question for me is Jonah Williams, he's going to need great protection early on and the line was a trainwreck last year.  

It all falls on Jonah. If he doesnt perform up to his expectations, the line is below average. If he misses time due to inury or whatever? It’s just as bad as last year. 

Edited by Chippa
  • Like 1

I agree, that the O-Line will either make it really easy for Joe Burrow or extremely difficult for him. If he doesn't have time to throw to all of these receiving weapons than what he has to offer will be mostly lost. 

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

It all falls on Jonah. If he doesnt perform up to his expectations, the line is below average. If he misses time due to inury or whatever? It’s just as bad as last year. 

Jonah Williams is the truth.

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Maybe so, but he is coming off of a season ending injury, and is practically still a rookie

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

Su'a-Filo could be a decent pickup.

But yeah, with so many offenses, if the left tackle stinks it's hard for the passing game to get off the ground.  Particularly with a rookie QB QB though.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Agreed. If he is healthy he should be a stud.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:21 AM, Boudewijn said:

Dude, of course you are trolling. I even already your answered (after which you moved the goalposts a bit) and yet you keep persisting. I quoted a list starting with Andrew Luck who entered the NFL the same age as Burrow. So you moved the goalposts to "5th year senior" instead of "at that age", but unfortunately Matt Ryan proves you wrong.

It's fine to make a point about his age, but you take it to far. Instead, let's focus on the kid's play (which is pretty good) and the Bengals ownership (which isn't). I think those will be bigger factors in the succes of Burrow.

As also stated in the Cam Akers thread, the concerns about age in general are fair.

image.png.498fa32bf10b7e996837c3427768f3dc.png

In all positions, 21yos have a higher ROI than 24yos, but it's actually most prominent for QBs. That doesn't mean that there aren't any examples of greatness, but it is fair to have some question marks regarding his age.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:02 AM, JE7HorseGod said:

Boyd was 7th in targets last year and 25th in total yards. Only posted 3 weeks last year as a WR1. I really wouldn't be keeping Boyd in any format

Posted (edited)

I went and looked at every QB drafted in the first round since 2010. Keep in mind that I am leaving out the rushing QBs (guys like Murray, Jackson, RG3) for the obvious reason of it not being applicable to Burrow.

Of the 20 non rushing QBs selected since 2010, one has finished inside the top 10 (Andrew Luck 10th). Inside the top 20 the total jumps to 2 (Luck 10th, Winston 13th). Obviously, a lot of these guys were not picked in the top 5 and not even all were starters. However, 9 were still selected inside the top 3. So you get 2 for 9 and it's not like they set the fantasy world on fire. Also, despite his historic season Burrow is no Luck as a prospect as far as i'm concerned. 

Why someone would use a draft pick on Burrow in redraft is beyond me. Passing QBs as rookies have almost no success.

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Why someone would use a draft pick on Burrow in redraft is beyond me. Passing QBs as rookies have almost no success.

Absolutely agree, but I sort of assume that most people in this thread will view him from a dynasty point of view. There's zero reason to draft him in redraft when there'll be plenty cheaper options with lower risk.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Absolutely agree, but I sort of assume that most people in this thread will view him from a dynasty point of view. There's zero reason to draft him in redraft when there'll be plenty cheaper options with lower risk.

On FFC his ADP is 130 ahead of guys like Brady, Stafford, Tannehill, and Rivers. ADP on Sleeper is 133 ahead of pretty much the same guys.

People are taking him probably because of his historic season and all the hype but it’s just a waste of a pick. Luck went into a good situation and like I said Luck was a better prospect. It’s damn hard as a rookie QB if you are a pocket passer. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Boyd was 7th in targets last year and 25th in total yards. Only posted 3 weeks last year as a WR1. I really wouldn't be keeping Boyd in any format

I meant he's a good young player.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:39 AM, BleachyBlonde said:

Green is made of glass and will be 32 years old this season and has been on the decline for the past few years, and can't put a rookie WR on that list yet. We haven't seen him take his first NFL snap. 

Reading through this thread, I don't think Burrow will be a bust. That being said, the hype got a little bit out of control. He isn't some generational prospect at QB like Luck, Manning, and a few others. In fact, I think Tua is a better prospect. He has injury concerns but the dudes arm is something else. The Tigers tied the NFL record for most players drafted. Outside of Burrow they had 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB, and 3 offensive linemen drafted. Plus his jump from 2018 to 2019 was absurd. It's not saying that players can't drastically improve but it does make you question it a bit.

Plus, landing spot is very important for QB and I don't trust the Bengals at all to develop him properly. 

Just now, Gohawks said:

Reading through this thread, I don't think Burrow will be a bust. That being said, the hype got a little bit out of control. He isn't some generational prospect at QB like Luck, Manning, and a few others. In fact, I think Tua is a better prospect. He has injury concerns but the dudes arm is something else. The Tigers tied the NFL record for most players drafted. Outside of Burrow they had 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB, and 3 offensive linemen drafted. Plus his jump from 2018 to 2019 was absurd. It's not saying that players can't drastically improve but it does make you question it a bit.

Plus, landing spot is very important for QB and I don't trust the Bengals at all to develop him properly. 

I think his floor is pretty high. At worst he's Flacco/Cutler/Dalton/Cousins. 

6 hours ago, Evincar said:

I think his floor is pretty high. At worst he's Flacco/Cutler/Dalton/Cousins. 

well with the numbers Cousins' posts, I think bengals fans would be pleased

17 hours ago, Evincar said:

I think his floor is pretty high. At worst he's Flacco/Cutler/Dalton.

He will be more like those QB's in his first season playing NFL Football. 

Hard to predict him having a particularly strong first season given the quality of the division he plays in right now.