Rotoworld.com Forums

Joe Burrow 2020 Outlook

On 7/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, Flyman75 said:

For Burrow, it's not so much about his speed or dual-threat ability. It's the pocket awareness he has, the ability to move in the pocket and even out of the pocket (while keeping his eyes downfield...think of the now-famous play vs Texas). And once he gets out, he has the ability to lengthen plays with his legs to either let his WRs work into an open spot or just take off and run. And it was all just instinctual. The play in the SECCG against Georgia is a great example of this, imho. The NFL is a very different animal, but in college he was a maestro when it came to escapability, stretching plays out, and running when necessary. He also showed multiple times that he's not afraid to call his own number at the line if the defense leaves what he believes to be an open space available. 

One concern I have with Burrow running in the NFL is that he's one tough SOB, and he's not afraid to show it. I can't tell you how many times LSU fans cringed in 2018 because he just wouldn't get down, instead choosing to take on defenders. He did better last year, but he still likes to show off his toughness. In the NFL, he better learn to get down early or run out of bounds. NFL players are faster and stronger and bigger, making collisions with defenders more brutal. 

This sounds like Andrew Luck verbatim. And I'd be fine with that if Burrow turned out like him...just not the early retirement and injuries plz 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool LSU fan who thinks a statue of Burrow should be built outside of Tiger Stadium and who thinks No9 should be retired at LSU. Lol. In fact, the wallpaper on both my

The guy with 3 rings in the past 5 years laughs at this and burrow is plenty mobile

People don’t even give his rushing ability any credit. Had a friend tell me Tua was the far superior scrambler and runner over Burrow which is just false. Burrow moves in the pocket better than Tua. B

Posted Images

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

He’s only a year younger than Deshaun Watson, for perspective. He better be good right away.

I honestly don’t get this argument against any player. Him being a 5th year senior will have zero bearing on how he plays as an NFL player. And I’m not worried about or interested in the failure rate of 5th yr seniors or players entering at his age. I think this line of thinking assumes marginal talent and abilities because otherwise he would have beaten out all the stud QBs before him and not broken his hand allowing Haskins to pass him. Joe Burrow is Joe Burrow...he’s not any of those who came before him. He will carve his own path. Just like he’s publicly asked not to be compared to the GOAT, we shouldn’t compare him to the goats either. But, he’s not going to make believers out of 5th yr/age guys until he does. So be it. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I honestly don’t get this argument against any player. Him being a 5th year senior will have zero bearing on how he plays as an NFL player. And I’m not worried about or interested in the failure rate of 5th yr seniors or players entering at his age. I think this line of thinking assumes marginal talent and abilities because otherwise he would have beaten out all the stud QBs before him and not broken his hand allowing Haskins to pass him. Joe Burrow is Joe Burrow...he’s not any of those who came before him. He will carve his own path. Just like he’s publicly asked not to be compared to the GOAT, we shouldn’t compare him to the goats either. But, he’s not going to make believers out of 5th yr/age guys until he does. So be it. 

Because players like Watson are who he’s going to have to be comparable in order to be truly great. For perspective, Watson was carving up NFL defenses while Burrow was losing the Ohio State QB competition to Haskins. 

I think Burrow is and will prove to be a stud. But his window of time isn’t as large as most think.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Because players like Watson are who he’s going to have to be comparable in order to be truly great. For perspective, Watson was carving up NFL defenses while Burrow was losing the Ohio State QB competition to Haskins. 

I think Burrow is and will prove to be a stud. But his window of time isn’t as large as most think.

Pretty much this. Age is a pretty big factor when looking at players entering the league. It's not a knock against them but if you enter the league older you don't have time to develop like some other guys. Wilson for example was 24 when he entered the NFL and he is doing fine. However, I think you have to look at it differently if a dude is 21 vs if a dude is 24. 

For comparison if Love takes over for Rodgers 2 years from this season he will practically be the same age as Burrow is. 

58 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Pretty much this. Age is a pretty big factor when looking at players entering the league. It's not a knock against them but if you enter the league older you don't have time to develop like some other guys. Wilson for example was 24 when he entered the NFL and he is doing fine. However, I think you have to look at it differently if a dude is 21 vs if a dude is 24. 

For comparison if Love takes over for Rodgers 2 years from this season he will practically be the same age as Burrow is. 

Love needs 2 years to develop, Burrow does not.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Burrows “window of time”? Referring to what? How long he will play in the NFL? QBs play until they’re 35-40 now. Window of time of development? He’s already developed. I can’t think of a QB more polished coming into the league than Burrow currently is. Age argument is weak imo. Just something for people to nitpick because there isn’t much else to with Burrow 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
  • Like 1

People don’t even give his rushing ability any credit. Had a friend tell me Tua was the far superior scrambler and runner over Burrow which is just false. Burrow moves in the pocket better than Tua. Burrow ran a faster 40 then Tua and looks better as a runner and better while throwing on the run than Tua.

Only 5 QBs have come into the NFL with 8500+ passing yards and 800+ rushing yards combined in fewer than 40 college games. They are Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Andrew Luck and Joe Burrow. Slight this kid at your own peril. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Only 5 QBs have come into the NFL with 8500+ passing yards and 800+ rushing yards combined in fewer than 40 college games. They are Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Andrew Luck and Joe Burrow. Slight this kid at your own peril. 

What a fun list!  I am very excited to see what this Burrow kid can do.

As for his window, Burrow will have a much longer leash than players who enter the league at 24 at other positions.  Cincinnati is bought in and will do everything they can to see this pick succeed.  Even if Burrow has a really rough rookie season like Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning both did, I expect the Bengals to stick with Burrow for at least his first four seasons.  Quite likely, for many more beyond that. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

His window is as large as any other rookie. And he lost the battle to Haskins because of a broken hand. From Urban himself, Burrow was ahead of Haskins until that happened. And again, you’re comparing him, and the comparison to Watson makes no logical sense. Joe isn’t competing against Watson...he’s competing against himself and the teams on his schedule. I think this age narrative is way overblown. Either Burrow will be good or he won’t, and it will have absolutely nothing to do with his age upon entry into the NFL. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Not being snarky here, but explain to me the importance of age entering the league. If it was someone with so-so NFL talent, I’d understand more because the inference is they stayed in college longer simple because they didn’t have the goods to play in the league. But I don’t believe that to be the case with Burrow, so why is age such a major factor? His career will theoretically by 2-3 years shorter than Watson’s, or any other guy entering at age 20-21, but that matters only to Burrow. He’ll have to adjust to the NFL this year, yes, but so does any rookie. Maybe I’m ignorant, but I don’t get all the concern over his age entering the NFL. 

And there’s a decent chance we’re having this discussion two years from now about LSU’s next QB, who will be a starter as a RS JR this year and may not want to jump to the NFL after one season starting. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Not being snarky here, but explain to me the importance of age entering the league. If it was someone with so-so NFL talent, I’d understand more because the inference is they stayed in college longer simple because they didn’t have the goods to play in the league. But I don’t believe that to be the case with Burrow, so why is age such a major factor? His career will theoretically by 2-3 years shorter than Watson’s, or any other guy entering at age 20-21, but that matters only to Burrow. He’ll have to adjust to the NFL this year, yes, but so does any rookie. Maybe I’m ignorant, but I don’t get all the concern over his age entering the NFL. 

And there’s a decent chance we’re having this discussion two years from now about LSU’s next QB, who will be a starter as a RS JR this year and may not want to jump to the NFL after one season starting. 

Burrow is 3.5 months older than Tony Romo when he entered the league, a QB he often gets compared to.

Edited by Evincar
56 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Burrow is 3.5 months older than Tony Romo when he entered the league, a QB he often gets compared to.

Soo...he’ll become an excellent announcer?

• Haha 3

Idk how good burrow will be but I do know I’d feel a lot better about him if he went to almost any other team in the league. Bengals have been bad my entire life its hard to even imagine them being good. Maybe the joe “the tiger king” burrow can do it tho. 

Edited by Stonej14
10 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Idk how good burrow will be but I do know I’d feel a lot better about him if he went to almost any other team in the league. Bengals have been bad my entire life its hard to even imagine them being good. Maybe the joe “the tiger king” burrow can do it tho. 

I mean they have likely been pretty decent most of your life

Made a sh** ton of playoffs and won a few division titles. This was the first time in a decade they had been truly awful

They are not the Browns

Edited by mocha4313
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

I mean they have likely been pretty decent most of your life

Made a sh** ton of playoffs and won a few division titles. This was the first time in a decade they had been truly awful

They are not the Browns

nah man they been pretty bad

7 playoff appearances in 28 years 0 playoff wins and a total record of 181-265-2. but yea browns are worse however bill belichick did get them a playoff win I believe. Maybe his greatest coaching feat.

26 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

nah man they been pretty bad

7 playoff appearances in 28 years 0 playoff wins and a total record of 181-265-2. but yea browns are worse however bill belichick did get them a playoff win I believe. Maybe his greatest coaching feat.

Depends when you started following the NFL. For me it was just around the drafting of Palmer

4 division titles, 4 truly awful years (4 wins or fewer), 7 playoff appearances (35-40%)

The playoff wins fact is admittedly pretty pathetic though

2013 was a really good team that just choked

2005 they were going to the AFC Champ until the Steelers called a hit on Palmer

Edited by mocha4313
50 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Depends when you started following the NFL. For me it was just around the drafting of Palmer

4 division titles, 4 truly awful years (4 wins or fewer), 7 playoff appearances (35-40%)

The playoff wins fact is admittedly pretty pathetic though

2013 was a really good team that just choked

2005 they were going to the AFC Champ until the Steelers called a hit on Palmer

The Bengals record under Lewis is pretty respectable considering theyre in the same division as the Steelers and Ravens, two marquee franchises. People always seem to lump them in with the Browns, Bills and Lions etc and I never understood that. Maybe something to do with Mike Brown.

15 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

His window is as large as any other rookie. And he lost the battle to Haskins because of a broken hand. From Urban himself, Burrow was ahead of Haskins until that happened. And again, you’re comparing him, and the comparison to Watson makes no logical sense. Joe isn’t competing against Watson...he’s competing against himself and the teams on his schedule. I think this age narrative is way overblown. Either Burrow will be good or he won’t, and it will have absolutely nothing to do with his age upon entry into the NFL. 

Show a link that says that. Everywhere I’ve seen says they were neck and neck. Which probably means Haskins is way undervalued right now.

16 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Show a link that says that. Everywhere I’ve seen says they were neck and neck. Which probably means Haskins is way undervalued right now.

I agree on the neck and neck thing; Burrow might even have been behind. 

March 7, 2018: https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Urban-Meyer-Joe-Burrow-Dwayne-Haskins-neck-and-neck-in-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-QB-competition-115896682/

"Joe and Dwayne are neck-and-neck," Meyer said. "And I want to add Tate Martell's name in there too."

Then Meyer talked more about Haskins and Burrow, who appeared to rotate with the first-team during practice.

"It's what I expected," Meyer said. "Dwayne finished the season strong against the team up north. Joe was really close (before his broken hand last August. We're trying to do the best job giving guys an opportunity. It will be a day-to-day thing."

In 2017 when it happened:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20431985/ohio-state-backup-quarterback-joe-burrow-indefinitely-breaking-bone-throwing-hand

Head coach Urban Meyer told reporters earlier this week that he had not finalized the quarterback depth chart, but it now appears that Haskins will take the No. 2 spot to start the season.

Back then both were still the backups to one J.T. Barrett. 5 points if you know without google where he is right now.

6 hours ago, Evincar said:

The Bengals record under Lewis is pretty respectable considering theyre in the same division as the Steelers and Ravens, two marquee franchises. People always seem to lump them in with the Browns, Bills and Lions etc and I never understood that. Maybe something to do with Mike Brown.

131-122-3 isnt great

the mighty Jeff fisher is 173-165-1 and has more playoff wins. They 100% deserve to get lumped. 

10 minutes ago, itslarry said:

131-122-3 isnt great

the mighty Jeff fisher is 173-165-1 and has more playoff wins. They 100% deserve to get lumped. 

Could you use a bigger font? I'm getting a bit deaf.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc3OezSh4YlsD-qiUDzDS

• Haha 2