LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

43 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Quite valuable? He was barely an RB2 last year when he didn’t have a top drafted rookie to deal with. Mack is going to be worthless this year for fantasy teams looking to actually win. Championship rosters don’t have much use for RB3/4s. He might be a decent bye week desperation dart throw, but he’s not going to be helping any team on the weekly. I’m not even fully on the JT hype train, but Mack is irrelevant from a fantasy perspective with his complete lack of upside.

If you play in leagues where anything other than an RB1 or mid-to-upper RB2 is “irrelevant,” then I can see why you and I will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Just now, PlayTheWaivers said:

Reading between the lines is crucial for fantasy success. You're right about this. It's also important to cut through the coach-speak BS. I do take beat reporters and player's quotes as somewhat serious and good information that can lead to a breakout.

I'm not quite buying the "keep Taylor fresh" argument. They have this guy on a 4-year contract with each year being incredibly cheap. They have every incentive to run this guy into the ground, see how he reacts in 4 more years, and maybe tack on a 2-3 year deal afterwards. If he's elite, he'll get extended before then.

Jacobs got immediate usage last year. Sanders talent (2nd round) started to show itself last year. I just think this guy will get 250 touches this year, which more room next year.

Reading between the lines says that they will let Mack go after this season and JT will be the workhorse next season. 

Jacobs was a 1st round pick and didnt have much competition for carries. Sanders needed a Jordan Howard injury to take over. Funny how you bring him up given that Reich is from Pederson's coaching tree.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Reading between the lines is crucial for fantasy success. You're right about this. It's also important to cut through the coach-speak BS. I do take beat reporters and player's quotes as somewhat serious and good information that can lead to a breakout.

I'm not quite buying the "keep Taylor fresh" argument. They have this guy on a 4-year contract with each year being incredibly cheap. They have every incentive to run this guy into the ground, see how he reacts in 4 more years, and maybe tack on a 2-3 year deal afterwards. If he's elite, he'll get extended before then.

Jacobs got immediate usage last year. Sanders talent (2nd round) started to show itself last year. I just think this guy will get 250 touches this year, which more room next year.

It still baffles me that after being mentioned who knows how many times people still don’t understand the concept of keeping a running back fresh THROUGHOUT THE SEASON. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

What? 

If you are comparing Mack to Tom Brady I think you lost the argument

Well Brady accomplished 1000 times more than Marlon Mack ever did, yet Brady was still shown the door.  By your "logic," I think I win.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

If you play in leagues where anything other than an RB1 or mid-to-upper RB2 is “irrelevant,” then I can see why you and I will have to agree to disagree.

"Very valuable" can equal "bye-week filler" in extremely deep leagues.  Tell me, did you find Frank Gore to be "very valuable" in 2019?  Asking for a friend.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

"Very valuable" can equal "bye-week filler" in extremely deep leagues.  Tell me, did you find Frank Gore to be "very valuable" in 2019?  Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend, “BMcP found the overall RB22 to be more valuable than the overall RB41.”  I’m of course defining “value” as the disparity between expected fantasy production and ADP.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My friend says Mack can kiss RB22 goodbye now that Taylor's in town.  But RB41, or Gore Country, is about to be Mack's new zip code.  He's pretty smart, that friend.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

My friend says Mack can kiss RB22 goodbye now that Taylor's in town.  But RB41, or Gore Country, is about to be Mack's new zip code.  He's pretty smart, that friend.

Smart or no, it might help him to understand the difference between assigning values to players pre-draft versus assigning values to players retrospectively once all relevant facts are known.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

Take two:

I agree Marlon Mack could be quite valuable, especially early in the season, and especially in deep leagues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

It still baffles me that after being mentioned who knows how many times people still don’t understand the concept of keeping a running back fresh THROUGHOUT THE SEASON. 

Especially if they are winning with mack as the lead back. Why change it?

Why beat up your future runningback when the one you wont re sign is doing just fine? Baffling

1 minute ago, FavreCo said:

0 rushes, 0 yards, 0 TDS. There will be no NFL 2020.

I fear you are correct, but I hope you are wrong.  But that response can be given to every point in every thread.  As of now, I am arguing these things assuming a full regular season that starts on time.

2 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Why beat up your future runningback when the one you wont re sign is doing just fine? Baffling

Baffling is people thinking the Colts won't use Jonathan Taylor early and often in 2020.

• Like 2

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Baffling is people thinking the Colts won't use Jonathan Taylor early and often in 2020.

Do you just completely ignore all the points that go against yours?

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I agree - they will.  I also thank you for acknowledging that Mack will not suddenly disappear - he won’t.  Depth is going to be vastly  more important this season than ever before - and if you can secure a back in the late rounds who you know can step in and serve as the featured back, it’s probably worth strong consideration.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I agree - they will.  I also thank you for acknowledging that Mack will not suddenly disappear - he won’t.  Depth is going to be vastly  more important this season than ever before - and if you can secure a back in the late rounds who you know can step in and serve as the featured back, it’s probably worth strong consideration.

Kind of a side note but I'm wondering if handcuffing is a bad idea this year with COVID.   Thinking that if one of your RBs gets it, then there's some likelihood that either 1) some of the OL also get it and/or 2) your handcuff gets it.

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Define "winning"

The Colts went 7-9 last year.

I expect them to reach the playoffs this year for sure but it is far from a lock (same goes for any team), and with the moves they have done--they are most definitely setting playoffs--at a minimum--as a goal this year

You don't do reach them by playing a clearly worse player--even if he is "fine"

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

Kind of a side note but I'm wondering if handcuffing is a bad idea this year with COVID.   Thinking that if one of your RBs gets it, then there's some likelihood that either 1) some of the OL also get it and/or 2) your handcuff gets it.

Wow - anyone’s guess, really.  But you have to figure, if you test positive, you’re at least missing one game, if not several.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Define "winning"

The Colts went 7-9 last year.

I expect them to reach the playoffs this year for sure but it is far from a lock (same goes for any team), and with the moves they have done--they are most definitely setting playoffs--at a minimum--as a goal this year

You don't do reach them by playing a clearly worse player--even if he is "fine"

Dont know how you came up with this without seeing JT play a down.

You are basing this off of last years record. I see Mack starting the year as the lead dog and if they are winning games, why risk your star young RB?

Lots of what ifs, especially this year, but i don't know why they would phase out mack unless he realy ***** the bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I fear you are correct, but I hope you are wrong.  But that response can be given to every point in every thread.  As of now, I am arguing these things assuming a full regular season that starts on time.

Sadly I will be correct. At best they start the season and it collapses in a heap of infections. 

4 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Why change? um because Taylor is easily a better RB? Mack wasn't all that - even injuries aside, he was erratic. 

I think Mack will spell Taylor here and there but I would be very surprised if Taylor isn't the bell cow. With Rivers one a 1 yr deal and Buckner costing them plenty, this is not a "rebuilding year." They are at least this year all in.

Can you imagine this team with a healthy Luck? Such a damn shame. 

• Like 1

Mack Dynasty owner in denial regarding the Colts' Jonathan Taylor draft pick.  That is the only possible explanation.

The Colts will not be keeping their rookie star running back in bubble wrap so that 2020 can be the Marlon Mack show.  It simply makes no sense at all. 

Mack's job to lose?  He lost it in late April of 2020, the day the future arrived.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Dont know how you came up with this without seeing JT play a down.

You are basing this off of last years record. I see Mack starting the year as the lead dog and if they are winning games, why risk your star young RB?

Lots of what ifs, especially this year, but i don't know why they would phase out mack unless he realy ***** the bed.

And about "winning games"--they are likely to be in a close division race with the Titans maybe the Texans. It's 16 games--every one of which is important. A win now team does not play a worse player to save the better one unless they have a their playoff seed wrapped up. Also don't see why you are calling him a "star young RB" if you think Mack is better

Because Taylor is simply better

If you disagree fair (busting is always possible)--you probably don't want Taylor in redraft or dynasty though if you legitimately think Mack is better

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bomont said:

Why change? um because Taylor is easily a better RB? Mack wasn't all that - even injuries aside, he was erratic. 

I think Mack will spell Taylor here and there but I would be very surprised if Taylor isn't the bell cow. With Rivers one a 1 yr deal and Buckner costing them plenty, this is not a "rebuilding year." They are at least this year all in.

Can you imagine this team with a healthy Luck? Such a damn shame. 

On a season where practice/training camp is cut short?

do you hold the same opinion for Ingram?

6 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

And about "winning games"--they are likely to be in a close division race with the Titans maybe the Texans. It's 16 games--every one of which is important. A win now team does not play a worse player to save the better one unless they have a their playoff seed wrapped up. Also don't see why you are calling him a "star young RB" if you think Mack is better

Because Taylor is simply better

If you disagree fair (busting is always possible)--you probably don't want Taylor in redraft or dynasty though if you legitimately think Mack is better

You keep saying worse player but we haven’t seen that yet. Mack didn’t seem like a bust to me but I guess I haven’t watched every game. 

I picked Taylor 1.02 this year so I have stake there but I feel better about 2021 Taylor than I do 2020

• Like 1