LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, fluffy69 said:

 

If Jonathon Taylor went down with a torn acl on carry number 1 this year. The colts would still have  a good shot at the AFC South.

Define "good"

The Titans 9-7 record is suppressed by them fooling around with Mariota for the first 6 games.

With Tannehill I bet their 2 and 7 point losses against the Colts and Bills respectively flip and at least one of their losses to the Jaguars and Joe Flacco led Broncos (both pitiful offensive performances) does as well.

That makes a 12-4 record

I'll say with Casey gone and Pees retired and a small drop in offensive efficiency they fall to 10-6 or 11-5.

Colts have Buckner added and Rivers is an upgrade over Brissett but IMO they need some contribution from their rookies (JT and Pittman mainly) to take the division at 11 wins.

They should get a wild card either way though

Texans I agree are probably toast though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Define "good"

The Titans 9-7 record is suppressed by them fooling around with Mariota for the first 6 games.

With Tannehill I bet their 2 and 7 point losses against the Colts and Bills respectively flip and at least one of their losses to the Jaguars and Joe Flacco led Broncos (both pitiful offensive performances) does as well.

That makes a 12-4 record

I'll say with Casey gone and Pees retired and a small drop in offensive efficiency they fall to 10-6 or 11-5.

Colts have Buckner added and Rivers is an upgrade over Brissett but IMO they need some contribution from their rookies (JT and Pittman mainly) to take the division at 11 wins.

They should get a wild card either way though

Texans I agree are probably toast though

With DeShaun Watson taking snaps you’re never toast.  Every year people write them off.   

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

With DeShaun Watson taking snaps you’re never toast.  Every year people write them off.   

There’s a reason for that. They get mollywhooped in the first game of the playoffs every year except last year when the refs and Watson saved them and the year the Raiders had to start Connor Cook. With Carr healthy and the refs not screwing up it’d be a clean 100%.

We’ll see though. IMO they were going to regress even with Hopkins: way too many close wins last year against bad teams just like the Packers and now the 2nd biggest X factor for those close games is gone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts should have easily won the division last year, because they had the best over all talent in the trenches and the best coaching.  The reason they did not win was their offense could not make big plays.  And their offense could not make big plays because they had Brisquette at QB, TY could not stay healthy, and a bunch of running backs running in molasses.

Turn the page to 2020.  I see a smart organization that tried to address its weaknesses.  Mack was one of those weaknesses, and he has now been addressed.  Very addressed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Colts should have easily won the division last year, because they had the best over all talent in the trenches and the best coaching.  The reason they did not win was their offense could not make big plays.  And their offense could not make big plays because they had Brisquette at QB, TY could not stay healthy, and a bunch of running backs running in molasses.

Turn the page to 2020.  I see a smart organization that tried to address its weaknesses.  Mack was one of those weaknesses, and he has now been addressed.  Very addressed.

I agree they should have but I think Brissett and the anemic passing offense was more of a problem than Mack. Still think the Titans with a full season of Tannehill are their equal--maybe slightly favor the Colts because of their OL but Titans are also well coached, have a real QB now, run the ball well and have toughness on both sides of the ball with an emphasis on controlling the line of scrimmage

IDK about Mack as a weakness though. Area for upgrade? Yes and they did but the 2018 Colts seemed to do fine with Mack

Texans have the best player in the division but decided to skip out on the other stuff--my opinion of Watson will shoot up (not that it isn't already high) if he finishes ahead of either of those teams but I don't see it happening

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts do not want to "do fine" like they did in 2018 with Marlon Mack.  They want to win the Superbowl.  And to win a Superbowl, you need impact players who make big plays in big moments. As others have said, the Colts are urgently in win now mode.  And one of the main manuevers they completed was bringing in a tailback who is quite likely to run circles "solid vet on an 8-8 caliber team" Marlon Mack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Define "good"

The Titans 9-7 record is suppressed by them fooling around with Mariota for the first 6 games.

With Tannehill I bet their 2 and 7 point losses against the Colts and Bills respectively flip and at least one of their losses to the Jaguars and Joe Flacco led Broncos (both pitiful offensive performances) does as well.

That makes a 12-4 record

I'll say with Casey gone and Pees retired and a small drop in offensive efficiency they fall to 10-6 or 11-5.

Colts have Buckner added and Rivers is an upgrade over Brissett but IMO they need some contribution from their rookies (JT and Pittman mainly) to take the division at 11 wins.

They should get a wild card either way though

Texans I agree are probably toast though

 

 

Fair enough, I just feel the Colts D will be so much better this season and they were extremely close despite the off the awful season from Vinny and and the brutal qb play. IMO, They're going to run it straight down the South's throat. I see regression for the Titans as well, but I think it's going to be more dramatic. I hope I'm right, but I'm wrong a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Colts do not want to "do fine" like they did in 2018 with Marlon Mack.  They want to win the Superbowl.  And to win a Superbowl, you need impact players who make big plays in big moments. As others have said, the Colts are urgently in win now mode.  And one of the main manuevers they completed was bringing in a tailback who is quite likely to run circles "solid vet on an 8-8 caliber team" Marlon Mack.

 

 

and I keep repeating that i know they want to win, but you obviously  aren't reading your replies.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Colts should have easily won the division last year, because they had the best over all talent in the trenches and the best coaching.  The reason they did not win was their offense could not make big plays.  And their offense could not make big plays because they had Brisquette at QB, TY could not stay healthy, and a bunch of running backs running in molasses.

Turn the page to 2020.  I see a smart organization that tried to address its weaknesses.  Mack was one of those weaknesses, and he has now been addressed.  Very addressed.

 

 

Mack was literally their only good offensive player last year man. Seems counterproductive to take touches from your best offensive player, why not run it much more and bring him in some help? Oh!!! they did!!!

 

 

Also, they lost because of an abysmal kicking game, poor qb play and injuries to an already thin defense. Lack of big plays was detrimental, but they could easily have made the playoffs had they replaced vinny and had a qb like Rivers.

Edited by fluffy69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fluffy69 said:

 

 

Mack was literally their only good offensive player last year man. Seems counterproductive to take touches from your best offensive player, why not run it much more and bring him in some help? Oh!!! they did!!!

If by "help" you mean draft a player who is much better than Mack and who will take Mack's job, I think you are on the right track.  If you think the Colts are going in to 2020 with Mack as their offensive centerpiece, I have to ask: are you Mack's agent?  Are you related to him?  Are you, in fact, Marlon Mack using a forum name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If by "help" you mean draft a player who is much better than Mack and who will take Mack's job, I think you are on the right track.  If you think the Colts are going in to 2020 with Mack as their offensive centerpiece, I have to ask: are you Mack's agent?  Are you related to him?  Are you, in fact, Marlon Mack using a forum name?

Cool straw man here buddy...

Literally no one thinks Mack is the centerpiece of that offense. Not a single soul.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best offensive player...don't take any of his touches...earned the right to be the starter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Cool straw man here buddy...

Literally no one thinks Mack is the centerpiece of that offense. Not a single soul.

I mean they are a run heavy offense so I would expect an RB to be the centerpiece skill position player wise

You seem to have indicated that you aren’t convinced Taylor is as good as Mack, as have other Mack defenders; and if so, Mack likely is the centerpiece

Now I believe Taylor is clearly better and will be the centerpiece of the Colts offense for years to come starting about 5-6 games into this season; but seeing as you don’t Mack would be the other logical candidate for the role

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Best offensive player...don't take any of his touches...earned the right to be the starter...

Earned the right to be one of the most annoying refrains in any player thread thus far, that’s for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If by "help" you mean draft a player who is much better than Mack and who will take Mack's job, I think you are on the right track.  If you think the Colts are going in to 2020 with Mack as their offensive centerpiece, I have to ask: are you Mack's agent?  Are you related to him?  Are you, in fact, Marlon Mack using a forum name?

 

 

 

If you can't read, I've got no time for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BMcP said:

Earned the right to be one of the most annoying refrains in any player thread thus far, that’s for sure.

 

 

10 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Cool straw man here buddy...

Literally no one thinks Mack is the centerpiece of that offense. Not a single soul.

 

 

Thanks. I simply stated a fact for him, not sure why he keeps arguing them. If I don't make it another day on these boards , thanks for the feedback guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

hang in there @fluffy69 , only professional shitposters post on a fantasy football forum in July, it gets better

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

hang in there @fluffy69 , only professional shitposters post on a fantasy football forum in July, it gets better

Does that make us...... 👀 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If 2020 has taught us anything, it is that silence in the face of injustice is, in fact, support.

I can't in good conscience allow our forum people to labor under the delusion that Marlon Mack will somehow be a thing in 2020, not while I still have internet access and a typing finger.  I simply care about them too much.

If you want to know at what point I will let it go, I will refer you over to the 2018 Le'Veon Bell thread.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fluffy69 said:

If you can't read, I've got no time for you.

I noticed you did answer my question, fluffy69.  Or should I refer to you as Mr. Marlon Mack's dad?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fluffy69 try being in a league with 🦈 

 

😆 😆 

 

all in good fun.   I actually prefer the offseason posters to the In-season tourists regurgitating Matthew Berry drivel.   You have to care to bother being in here right now lol.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2020 at 11:19 PM, mocha4313 said:

I mean they are a run heavy offense so I would expect an RB to be the centerpiece skill position player wise

You seem to have indicated that you aren’t convinced Taylor is as good as Mack, as have other Mack defenders; and if so, Mack likely is the centerpiece

Now I believe Taylor is clearly better and will be the centerpiece of the Colts offense for years to come starting about 5-6 games into this season; but seeing as you don’t Mack would be the other logical candidate for the role


I don’t think the run game is necessarily the center piece of the offense. I think they ran out of necessity last season because the QB play wasn’t at a level that Frank reich needed.
 

2 years ago in the same exact offense Andrew luck was 2nd in the league in passing attempts with 639 and had 4 games over 50 passing attempts. I doubt that they will try to pass that much with old man rivers and a better defense but it will probably be higher than 23rd In the league like jacoby brissett was last season. I think the team will be much more even keeled this year and while the run game will probably be more important I don’t think it’s the centerpiece of the offense like the 49ers or titans but more even like the saints.

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Stonej14 said:


I don’t think the run game is necessarily the center piece of the offense. I think they ran out of necessity last season because the QB play wasn’t at a level that Frank reich needed.
 

2 years ago in the same exact offense Andrew luck was 2nd in the league in passing attempts with 639 and had 4 games over 50 passing attempts. I doubt that they will try to pass that much with old man rivers and a better defense but it will probably be higher than 23rd In the league like jacoby brissett was last season. I think the team will be much more even keeled this year and while the run game will probably be more important I don’t think it’s the centerpiece of the offense like the 49ers or titans but more even like the saints.


id have to disagree-  but your point is well taken.   This team has invested heavily in their O line,  including the best run blocker in the league.  Then they traded up for THE workhorse back available.   You simply don’t do that if your running game won’t be prominent.   Rivers just adds to it...he’s a classic low arm strength/velocity dink and dunker.  You air it out all game with Rivers and the results won’t be pretty as we’ve seen develop with the chargers.   The Rivers passing game will often be used as merely an extension of the running game which is why Ekeler was so prominent.   
 

Everything Indy wants to do on offense comes down to not just good...but dominant running and short/designed dump offs.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No no no @Impreza178 the Colts are going to run with Marlon Mack because he was their best offensive player last year and Mack has earned that right.  The fact that the Colts drafted Jonathan Taylor is simply a meaningless coincidence, unrelated in any way to their plan for 2020. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:


id have to disagree-  but your point is well taken.   This team has invested heavily in their O line,  including the best run blocker in the league.  Then they traded up for THE workhorse back available.   You simply don’t do that if your running game won’t be prominent.   Rivers just adds to it...he’s a classic low arm strength/velocity dink and dunker.  You air it out all game with Rivers and the results won’t be pretty as we’ve seen develop with the chargers.   The Rivers passing game will often be used as merely an extension of the running game which is why Ekeler was so prominent.   
 

Everything Indy wants to do on offense comes down to not just good...but dominant running and short/designed dump offs.  


Well they had the same offensive line with luck when he was 2nd in the league in passing attempts. Nelson was an all pro and top 5 linemen then as well. And I agree they didn’t add a top notch RB to not use him but they will def use an RBBC. And rivers is a low arm strength guy now which is another reason I compared them to the saints. The saints are one of the best running teams in the league Drew Brees can’t throw deep any more their oline is great and their defense is pretty good. But they’re very balanced On offense. I think the colts will try to be just like this with maybe a little more emphasis on the run where the saints still Have a little more emphasis on passing.  
 

I mean if they only brought in rivers to hand the ball off they probably woulda saved the money and drafted a rookie to replace luck and prepare for the long haul but they wanna win now and think rivers still has some left in the tank. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...