LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Anybody crazy like me and think he will actually outproduce CEH? (Standard Scoring, PPR I doubt it.) Maybe not on the season as a whole but let’s say weeks 4-16?

I won’t say it’s it impossible but if they both play 16 games then it is very unlikely. CEH will almost certainly have more receptions and yards so you would have to bank on Taylor vastly out producing CEH in rushing yards and TDs ala Derrick Henry. But since mahomes has been the starter in KC the RBs have average 1.7 TDs a game. I kno this isn’t a guarantee but the odds are that Clyde scores the same amount of TDs as Taylor if not more. Meaning Taylor would have to just blow the doors off CEH in rushing yards.

Things probably get closer if you have just weeks 4-16 but I still don’t think Taylor would out produce CEH.. but like I said it’s certainly not impossible 

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

In 14 team PPR mocks this guy is usually available late 3rd/early 4th. I have the 14th pick and I'm stuck on deciding if I should start my draft with an RB(Drake/Sanders) and WR(Julio/Hill) and then hope that Taylor and someone like David Johnson are available at the round 3-4 swing. Is Taylor worth an RB2? I know most people run and RB/RB with the tail end picks. 

19 hours ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

20 pages for a rookie second round pick. Definitely drafting this guy. 

An Algorithm Can Pick the Next Silicon Valley Unicorn | Discover Magazine

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can't bring myself to pick him in the 3rd with Mack still the starter heading into the season. People forget how good Mack was last year. Mack seems like incredible value in this backfield. All anybody wants is Taylor or Hines from what I see

Edited by scheibler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, scheibler said:

Can't bring myself to pick him in the 3rd with Mack still the starter heading into the season. People forget how good Mack was last year. Mack seems like incredible value in this backfield. All anybody wants is Taylor or Hines from what I see

I’d much rather have some like Mostert. Taylor has such a high ceiling but a terrible floor for someone going 3/4 round. 

mack is my late round pick gem....after hearing how well he is doing in camp i will take the low risk option

On 8/22/2020 at 10:30 AM, Ryansm11 said:

I’d much rather have some like Mostert. Taylor has such a high ceiling but a terrible floor for someone going 3/4 round. 

Act in haste.  Repent at leisure.

Barring injury, Taylor will finish the year, in the top ten.  Yeah, I said it.  Come @ me, bro.

Squirrel GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
Just now, Goatstain3 said:

Act in haste.  Repent at leisure.

Barring injury, Taylor will finish the year, in the top ten.  Yeah, I said it.  Come @ me, bro.

Squirrel GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

def guna need an injury and i aint guna be stuck waiting all year for it

Edited by Power-O

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Power-O said:

def guna need an injury and i aint guna be stuck waiting all year for it

Blasphemy!

I am all in on Taylor.  Not budging.  But, your effort was above average.

Edited by Goatstain3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Goatstain3 said:

Blasphemy!

I am all in on Taylor.  Not budging.  But, your effort was above average.

well dont come crying here in the season if it dont work out lol

• Like 1

Taylor is going to be a league winner. Generational talent playing behind the best o line in football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well this is scary:

Taylor reminds me of a former Wisconsin Badger running back, Montee Ball. Both are around 5’11 and 215 lbs while running behind historically great offensive lines in college. Each produced gaudy rushing stats and limited receiving stats in the Big 10 while collecting an absurdly high number of carries. ...

When Wisconsin’s powerful and talented offensive line was neutralized by great run-stopping defenses like Ohio State and Michigan State this year, Taylor struggled to make guys miss and create big runs.

On top of that, Wisconsin’s scheme didn’t call for Taylor to pass block or run a lot of routes. He nevertheless struggled in those aspects all throughout his college career. He caught just 16 passes total in his first two seasons. His draft profile is littered with red flags. He had 18 fumbles in 41 games which is a trait that always carries over to the next level for most college running backs.

It’s completely fair to judge a prospect like Jonathan Taylor based on the history of Wisconsin running backs in the NFL. Since 1990, nine running backs have been drafted from the University of Wisconsin.

Only Michael Bennett and Melvin Gordon have ever made a Pro Bowl. Taylor is nowhere near as talented as Gordon was coming out of Wisconsin. Taylor’s vision is subpar and he struggles to make guys miss when hitting the hole. NFL teams this spring must be buyer beware with Jonathan Taylor.

https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/14/2020-nfl-draft-jonathan-taylor-overrated/

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

This article and tweet below is clownshoes. News flash- RB's with good O-lines produce numbers. RB's with bad O-lines produce lesser numbers. Taylor is going to an elite O-line. No one is talking about CEH being a mediocre prospect, yet the situation of Mahomes + Chiefs is what makes him a probable elite fantasy force.

Also, Montee Ball was a 20-30% athlete in all metrics. Taylor is up there with Saquon in freakish ability.

Horrible takes, horrible analysis, horrible article. 

Lack of speed- LMAO

https://twitter.com/MyGuySteve/status/1214953081085059073?s=20

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

No idea who wrote that article, but it takes a few facts and then wildly runs to conclusions. I've watched nearly every UW game since the early 90s and saying that Taylor is 'nowhere near as talented coming out' as Mel Gordon is just laughable. He is nothing like Ball either. I would totally disregard this person's opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

No idea who wrote that article, but it takes a few facts and then wildly runs to conclusions. I've watched nearly every UW game since the early 90s and saying that Taylor is 'nowhere near as talented coming out' as Mel Gordon is just laughable. He is nothing like Ball either. I would totally disregard this person's opinion.

How about Ron dayne lol

Taylor measures athletically off the charts compared to Ron Dayne, Montee Ball, and even Melvin Gordon.  And his production is off the charts, too.  Durability and work ethic lead to those types of incredible career numbers.  Pair that with Taylor's speed, burst, agility and overall athleticism, running behind the Colts A+ offensive line?  It is going to take a LOT more than a few good runs in practice for Marlon Mack to hold this rookie back.

• Like 3

Ideally he’s an awesome RB3 but are you confident enough to draft him as your RB2? Especially in .5PPR and PPR leagues?

1 hour ago, bgar15 said:

Ideally he’s an awesome RB3 but are you confident enough to draft him as your RB2? Especially in .5PPR and PPR leagues?

Easily

12 hours ago, MBarbarian said:

He had 18 fumbles in 41 games

Out of the whole story this is the only thing that concerns me, the rest is all interpretation and projection. "Only" 2/9 Wisconsin backs went to a pro bowl? seems like a pretty good average to me, tbh. USC had 13 RBs drafted since 2000 and none of them went to the Pro Bowl (including Reggie Bush, to my surprise).

So those fumbles, that's more serious. This is a good article which also has a video (can't embed here, but go watch it):

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/ball-security-mileage-pass-pro-issues-make-rb-jonathan-taylor-a-risky-no-49-pick-for-steelers/

Lastly, it’s been well-documented that Taylor has had ball security issues throughout his college career as evidenced by his 17 total fumbles in 41 games played in. Stats, however, are just stats. Because of that, I wanted to see all 17 of those fumbles for myself so I would have full context of them. Thankfully, I was able to track down all 17 of Taylor’s fumbles at Wisconsin and have since compiled them in one video for all to see. By watching all 17 fumbles, it’s clear that Taylor does have ball security issues as not only did he fumble by carrying the football away from his body, he also had it pulled out several other times by defensive players at the end of runs and knocked out a few others by smartly placed hits.

That's pretty ugly, to be honest.

mack ain't going to disappear. Too high an ADP for a rookie who isn't coming into a for sure starting position. The coach already said Mack is the starter, and he's been performing in camp. Taylors fumbling issues are going to rear it's head in the nfl.

• Like 4

Taylor will have to solve his fumbling issue to become a successful NFL running back.  The Colts CS will not put up with 8-9 fumbles like Seattle did with Chris Carson.

I have faith Taylor will be able to do it.  NFL coaching staffs are worlds ahead of college coaching staffs.  Especially good NFL coaching staffs like the Colts have.  

5 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Meanwhile mack has 2 fumbles on 535 carries. 0 fumbles last year. All according to nfl.com. 

if I were the Colts HC this is exactly why Mack would be my goal line back until JT proves he can hang on to the football. 

Not sure if the Colts will do that but I sure would and that and JT getting benched still worry me a lot either way 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, paulwall29 said:

Taylor is going to be a league winner. Generational talent playing behind the best o line in football.

This term gets thrown around WAY too loosely. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1