LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, JetsAwesome said:

if this is true then Reich and  company are too dumb for words - high draft pick to spell Mack..lol!!  maybe it was leaked so teams won't gameplan for Taylor.

More likely they drafted Taylor to eventually take over as the main guy,  but probably not the early part of this season.

I'm guessing maybe 40% of the work to Mack's 60% would be optimistic this week.

Just now, Brooklyn Dude said:

More likely they drafted Taylor to eventually take over as the main guy,  but probably not the early part of this season.

I'm guessing maybe 40% of the work to Mack's 60% would be optimistic this week.

Even if that was for the season, it doesn't make Reich and Ballard dumb by any stretch. A fresh JT starting next season after about 185 touches and Mack leaving in free agency with a comp pick for Indy isn't the worst situation to be in.

• Like 1

After this news, anyone still starting JT? I was gonna roll with him as my flex but I'm having reservations now.

1 minute ago, RoseLin23 said:

After this news, anyone still starting JT? I was gonna roll with him as my flex but I'm having reservations now.

He could be ridiculously efficient against Jags. Obviously depends on your options.

1 minute ago, RoseLin23 said:

I am starting him in my flex. Personally, if there is a time to be reckless it is within the first two weeks of the season. With this news mid season, i would probably proceed with extreme caution. Sundays I usually take my early morning dump and then an epiphany will strike. 

• Haha 3

In the first game between the Jags and Colts last year, Williams had 13 carries for 116 yards and Mack had 14 carries for 109 yards and a TD.  Brissett and Hines also had rushing TDs.  The colts had 30 carries by their RBs and 24 passes.  The colts won that game 33-13.  Take it for what it is, but it sure seems like we will have a very similar final score and gameflow this time around.  Double digit carries against this defense with 3 rushing TDs for the team in a similar situation last year.  I like the chances of Taylor putting up a flex-worthy score in week 1.  

• Like 7

Talk is cheap.  That blurb on Taylor being drafted to spell Mack could have been true at the time, but how relevant is it now?  How relevant will it be after we see how they do this week?

Football is a week to week game.  They can say one thing and totally change their minds the next.  It will always depend on performance.  If you believe Taylor is a better RB than Mack, then it will sort itself out regardless of what reporters say.

What we do know is that Taylor has not had the normal reps or the opportunity to supplant Mack in the preseason, due to Covid.  So, he's not going to be the guy week 1 barring a shock surprise.  Marlon Mack is not garbage.  Maybe, as you guys think, not as good as Taylor, but they will definitely be comfortable rolling with him in week 1 as the primary RB.

It is questionable if JT gets enough touches week 1 to be a flex.  There is way too much risk to start him as an RB2, obviously.  If you have a solid WR3 on your bench, I'd start that guy in my flex over JT until I saw what happens this weekend.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Awful news for Taylor but this seems a little suspect...

Marlon Mack isn't the type of RB you burn high draft picks on just to keep fresh. He's not an elite franchise RB, this doesnt make sense. But either way, if this is true this kills Taylor's value initially. But honestly we shouldnt have expected much right out of the gate anyway.

28 minutes ago, USWAY said:

I still think Taylor could come into a big role because of a Mack injury. I think the guy has missed games every year of his career. And this coming from a guy that passed on taking Taylor because it was too early when I didn't trust the workload.

It won't take a Mack injury.  Patience.

• Like 3

11 touches for 70 yards , with a 50-50 at a tuddie. Flexin in Standard. If you scared go to church, JT gon’ hit you where it hurts. 

• Like 7

Jesus guys- there's been enough smoke that has led to fire in the past month or two with this Taylor-Mack split. He will be a risky flex until proven otherwise. Mack will not be going away without a fight. 

• Like 1

How many times have we heard 1A to 1B. JT isn’t “spelling” anyone he’s gonna get plenty of work but not the lion share I’m sure

Last year In Baltimore Edwards would spell ingram. In Dallas pollard would spell zeke. In my opinion This is gonna be closer to 50/50

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Jacksonville is bad enough on defense for both of these guys to be viable this weekend. Teams are going to rotate players heavily the first couple weeks. Don’t expect clarity on this backfield any time soon. I’m betting on JT’s talent in the long run. 

• Like 1

Reminds of the T Coleman, Mostert, Brieda gameplan from the last few years we have all seen.     I have JT on one team, but his lack of hands concern me as this adds Hines into the mix. If I had to bet on one player making a contribution early it would be JT, because I think he gets the goal line carries and the Colts have an elite O-line.

JT is TD dependent for me.  So he is my dart throw play if injury to my starters .  I do think this shakes out like the Howard/Miles situation with the Eagles.   Miles Sanders did not seperate from Howard for quite awhile, but Sanders could  also catch,  but JT is a better pure running back.

Prediction - JT is goal line, Mack between the 20's, Hines as pass catching 3rd down.  JT will get play at the goal line, Because Rivers and the WR core are short yardage players, and the WR are pretty small.  Mack seems to have an allergy to the Red Zone as well,  and failed numerous times to pucnh it in last year. 

Also, If you owned the Colts, and knew JT was your future, would you let Mack play to showcase him,  and then try to get a trade?   .... I would....

Be patient with JT, and for all you Mack owners, You can feel pretty confident too!  

Edited by Sivaro

The Colts should run the ball 35-40 times a game if they are able to Macks presence isn't too concerning to me. Rivers looked like he was throwing a medicine ball when he was trying to go downfield last year. I'm expecting this to be a very run heavy offense, probably enough to support both Mack and Taylor.

• Like 4

Nobody else sees the writing on the wall?

First game Mack will likely rush 16 times for 80 yards or so. Maybe score a touchdown. 

Taylor will rush 8 times for 60 yards or so. 

Rotoworld forums will use this as definitive proof that Taylor is better. And the hype train will increase. 

And Mack will still end up the starter the entire season. This reads as the quintessential typical Rotoworld hype job, a la Christine Michael and Josh Gordon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This RBBC will be over by halftime. jT will house one in the first half Prob first series against the Jags guaranteed. 

if you’re not starting him against the jags with no ngakoue when are you?

no risk it no biscuit!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RoseLin23 said:

No.

I think if you drafted him as your RB2 you messed up. There's no guarantee with him this year and there's a good chance he will be borderline useless as an RB2 first few weeks.

So he should really be drafted as a flex and shouldn't be started this week in my opinion. I'm rolling D. Parker out over him as a flex and not really having second thoughts about it. I can see Taylor going off this week especially with his big play ability but I personally rather find out on my bench than have something like 7/45/0 with 0/0/0 in the receptions department. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Not a finer school to attend. Was glad I was able to go there as well, but I went when Russell Wilson was driving around state st in his escalade. 

Ha.  Nothing like a football Saturday in Grainger when the band starts playing.  I walked out of class Homecoming weekend and had a few beers at the tailgate and then came back to finish up.  Ya know...Executive MBA course.  

I think people are underestimating how good Marlon Mack is. Even if Taylor is better and takes over, I still see nothing more than a 60/40 split in either direction. Plus add in Hines for 3rd down and hurry up. This is gonna be like the 49ers last year. All 3 backs can have some good/blowup games but good luck figuring out when.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I think people are underestimating how good Marlon Mack is. Even if Taylor is better and takes over, I still see nothing more than a 60/40 split in either direction. Plus add in Hines for 3rd down and hurry up. This is gonna be like the 49ers last year. All 3 backs can have some good/blowup games but good luck figuring out when.

Marlon Mack is trash.  That's a big part of why people are so high on JT.  He was drafted in the 4th round.  His PFF grades from 2017 thru 2019 are 68.0, 68.6, and 69.5.  I'd tell you where he ranks among the RBs, but the article I'm looking at only goes to the top 25 and he's not on the list.  Duke Johnson is #25 with a grade of 74.2 for crying out loud.  Mack has missed multiple games every season.  The Colts didn't go into last season expecting him to be the focal point of their offense.  They found out 5 minutes before kickoff that their franchise QB was retiring and had to deal with what they had.  They now know they have to be a run first team so what do they do...they go and trade up in the second round to take a 230 lb freak athlete with a Player Profiler comp to Zeke.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It is possible for there both to be a committee and for Taylor to put up RB2 numbers. One does not exclude the other.  There are like 5 true bell cows in the whole league.  With the O-line and the desire to “preserve” Mack, Taylor will be the beneficiary and get his.  Color me not concerned (for now)....

• Like 1