LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

What is the relevance of the Saban era?

I believe he’s insinuating that Alabama has perennially elite lines just like Wiscy 2019.   No one dares brush Henry or Ingram off as a product of their offensive lines.    

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Taylor in my opinion should have been a top 20 pick. He is the same size as Ezekiel Elliott, had a little better 40 time, vertical and broad jump. 

You can talk all you want about his o-line but no Alabama RB in the Nick Saban era had that high a yards per carry including the 2 Heisman winners.

I missed Taylor doing that through the sec and college football playoff schedule...

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

I believe he’s insinuating that Alabama has perennially elite lines just like Wiscy 2019.   No one dares brush Henry or Ingram off as a product of their offensive lines.    

At your own perile

If Taylor played at Alabama, I believe his stats would've been even better. Also, think his fumbles would be down with more catches. Even comparing Alabama to Bucky is absolutely ridiculous. Look what happened in Dallas Tx.

• Like 1

T-Rich...on the other hand...

For the record, I think Taylor has better vision than T-Rich, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

T-Rich...on the other hand...

For the record, I think Taylor has better vision than T-Rich, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist.

Good thing u added that at the end.  Knickers were QUICKLY rotating...

• Haha 2

Never forget Trents pro-day 

repping out 25 or 26 reps, while running a 4.45. He also had a solid rookie season with 12 tds and over 1300 scrimmage yards. 

33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

At your own perile

I realize in the world of DHC— Playing at Alabama supersedes all other factoids.  But JT is the real deal, guy.  

If Derrick Henry’s sister and Earl Campbell’s son had a baby...  you have Jonathan Taylor.  😃 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:38 PM, Gohawks said:

"That shouldn't be the point of the forum. The point is to gather information from other perspectives to help you come to your own decision. ... I wasn't high on CMC because he was a rookie RB in a uncertain situation. ... I'm not high on Taylor for the exact same reason. ... The best you can do in fantasy is swing the odds in your favor. I don't view it as swinging the odds in my favor by drafting a rookie who is going to play for a team with an already good veteran RB and a good 3rd down back. If Taylor does good so be it."

I haven't been in a position to draft CMC, but when he came out the situation & his adp did seem risky. His father Ed was a WR & he has a similar build. His height to weight ratio is not that of a player who's successful assuming a heavy workload. You like to a see a wide base & while he has the length, it was questionable whether he could add the necessary mass to an already maxed out narrow frame. Which bears out, as he hasn't really, was listed at 202lbs at the combine & is currently at 205. Understandably, not as effective or comfortable grinding between the tackles. Ah, all of it, proven false. 

I suppose & he's certainly considered a god in here & everywhere else, but here's a stat that I think is interesting. This past season CMC was 4th (3rd among RBs) in yards before contact. It may be hard to believe but he was 38th in yards after contact. It's just me but given the fact they couldn't protect their QB, young Kyle Allen, nor did they feature a formidable presence at WR, seems odd McCaffrey was rarely subject to stacked fronts or even a single big hit. I was high on Teddy Bridgewater prior to the draft but they didn't draft him any help! The panthers were one of only two teams that didn't draft a single player on offense. Obviously, Matt Rhule has no idea which side of the ball "rules". 

Could be wrong, often am, but Jonathan Taylor is put together like the prototypical stallion 'back & Mack's role & threat, a recency bias. I wouldn't expect Taylor to be anointed the starter, he's going to have to win out, on the field in real games. I do think that happens & what I consider key is that Mack knows he's not likely part of their long-term plan. Like others, I was onboard, he gave them 247 carries last year, I don't get it. He too has a height to weight ratio that isn't ideal. Despite the OL, only 18th in (YBC) & like CMC, he's at the back (29th) in yards after contact. 

• Like 2

I realize in the world of DHC— Playing at Alabama supersedes all other factoids.  But JT is the real deal, guy.  

If Derrick Henry’s sister and Earl Campbell’s son had a baby...  you have Jonathan Taylor.  😃 

How did he do against Ohio State?

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Never forget Trents pro-day 

repping out 25 or 26 reps, while running a 4.45. He also had a solid rookie season with 12 tds and over 1300 scrimmage yards. 

Trich was a good RB but his family drained him of most his money and flipped his life upside down and he busted hard in the NFL.

Taylor is a very good RB. I saw him struggle against tougher competition like Ohio State but with a team like Indy I think he will do really well. The OLine, QB, and offensive scheme is friendly towards RBs, he just needs to clean up some fumbling issues and work on his receiving game and pass protection but other than that he is a damn fine RB.

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

How did he do against Ohio State?

fantastic.  150 rushing maybe?  

Not that one college game is particularly relevant to pro potential or landing spot.  

Henry had stinkers against powerhouses Charleston Southern and Louisiana Monroe 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

fantastic.  150 rushing maybe?  

Not that one college game is particularly relevant to pro potential or landing spot.  

Henry had stinkers against powerhouses Charleston Southern and Louisiana Monroe 

Edit

Not here to trash Taylor, I think he is an excellent back.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Like 2

Below are games against Wisconsin competition. He struggled against Ohio State Oregon and outside of 2 tds against Minn. The NFL is different and he has Castanzo and Nelson to run behind. We does have nearly 1k touches in 3 years so how much tread is left. 15 turnovers in 3 years is a lot as well. Just like CEH this isn't some out the gate unless Mack is released or traded. 

Against Michigan he had 203 yards 2 tds

Against Ohio State 52 yards

Against Iowa 250

Against Minn 76 Yards 2 tds 

Ohio St game 2 148 1td

Oregon 94

It is Hines that he is replacing.

They are going to run Mack and use Taylor to spell and receive.  When Mack gets injured, Taylor and Hines will run the show.

I am in, Mid round pick seems right.

Even Saquon Barkley has some bad games in college and he’s the best NFL RB since Adrian Peterson. I remember CMC having some bad games I college

Comparing level of play is hard but even some good teams like Wisconsin and Stanford and pennstate are still often one dimensional and just not elite like Alabama and Ohio state. Don’t let some of those poorer games fool ya Johnathon Taylor Is good. 

4 hours ago, Sivaro said:

"It is Hines that he is replacing. They are going to run Mack and use Taylor to spell and receive. When Mack gets injured, Taylor and Hines will run the show. I am in, Mid round pick seems right."

Recent comment from Reich, pertaining to Mack's response when told they drafted Taylor;

“Just to show you what great teammates we have, I texted Marlon after we picked Taylor … I said to him, ‘You know how we roll, we spread the wealth at running back. Keep you both fresh and dominate. Every great football team needs a great 1-2 punch in the running game.’ His response was perfect. He said, ‘Yes sir, let’s go, let’s go get it.’ Isn’t that awesome?” 

That comment suggests the guy that'll be out there is the one who's rested, but all things being equal, who knows? I think eventually they're going to want to know what they have in Taylor. Is there a theory as to why the team didn't offer Mack anything? Others see him as a quality RB & believe he'll have a prominent role, but stuff doesn't add up. 

19 hours ago, Sivaro said:

They are going to run Mack and use Taylor to spell and receive.  When Mack gets injured, Taylor and Hines will run the show.

Taylor still needs a lot of development as a receiver.  He’ll primarily be used on base downs, particularly with Hines there.

19 hours ago, Sivaro said:

That would be surprising since JT is a prototypical power back with home run speed.   I think we’ll see Mack and JT alternate series-  at least at first-  with Hines handling some of the third downs.  

• Like 1

Behind the scenes of day 2 for the Colts, first bit of Pittman pick. Then Taylor, then round 3. Anyways if you want cliff notes on Taylor here goes.

"When you look at this guy in our rushing attack oh boy"

"When you project this guy behind our line and in our scheme holy ****"

Someone called him captain america.

In closing after they selected Taylor Reich wanted to get the offensive coordinator in on the zoom call and when he told him the offensive coordinator reacted like a kid of Christmas day

• Thanks 2

On 5/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, Sivaro said:

We’ve found the person who owns Mack in multiple dynasty leagues...

49 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

We’ve found the person who owns Mack in multiple dynasty leagues...

I had Mack on my team last year.  Will not be drafting him again until mid rounds if at all.  If I was to make a pick between the two,  it would be Taylor first.

I see this as a time share until Taylor takes over by mid season. He will be iffy until he takes over ( Sanders last year is the same example) But, I am targeting him for the Championship run.He is worth a mid round pick and stash.   Hines numbers will not be consistent enough to roster as both Mack and Taylor eat up the touches.  IMO

It sounds a lot like the Mack apologists in this thread (I bet some of yall were in the Jamaal Charles end days threads too!) need to see some Jonathan Taylor highlight reels.

Mack can get what's blocked. JT turns good blocking into touchdowns.

• Like 2