LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

On 5/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, turner46 said:

Behind the scenes of day 2 for the Colts, first bit of Pittman pick. Then Taylor, then round 3. Anyways if you want cliff notes on Taylor here goes.

"When you look at this guy in our rushing attack oh boy"

"When you project this guy behind our line and in our scheme holy ****"

Someone called him captain america.

In closing after they selected Taylor Reich wanted to get the offensive coordinator in on the zoom call and when he told him the offensive coordinator reacted like a kid of Christmas day

excellent video. thank you!

hard not to love pittman and taylor even more.

hard not to love the colts organization.

anigif_sub-buzz-1388-1557716250-1.gif 

• Like 2

Colts OC Nick Sirianni said the RB room is a ‘1-1 punch’ with Marlon Mack and Jonathan Taylor.

Mack's starting job is on life support, but we shouldn't necessarily expect Taylor to fully take over this backfield immediately. Nyheim Hines even has earned some dark-horse appeal in this new-look offense that will feature Philip Rivers under center considering he possesses an Austin Ekeler-esque skill-set thanks to his demonstrated ability to thrive as a true WR in the slot or out wide, but he almost assuredly won't see enough snaps to provide anything resembling consistent fantasy production. A good sample size to try and predict this backfield's splits might just be Weeks 14-17 from last season after Mack returned from injury. Mack led the way with 45-55% snap splits in neutral game-script situations, but Jordan Wilkins consistently saw 30-40% snaps, and Hines pitched in 10-20% with a ceiling of much more when the Colts were forced to throw the ball. Expect Taylor to get the majority of this backfield's touches when everything is said and done, but it'll likely be a lot closer to 200 than 300.

May 11, 2020, 11:25 AM ET
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The G Man said:
Colts OC Nick Sirianni said the RB room is a ‘1-1 punch’ with Marlon Mack and Jonathan Taylor.

Mack's starting job is on life support, but we shouldn't necessarily expect Taylor to fully take over this backfield immediately. Nyheim Hines even has earned some dark-horse appeal in this new-look offense that will feature Philip Rivers under center considering he possesses an Austin Ekeler-esque skill-set thanks to his demonstrated ability to thrive as a true WR in the slot or out wide, but he almost assuredly won't see enough snaps to provide anything resembling consistent fantasy production. A good sample size to try and predict this backfield's splits might just be Weeks 14-17 from last season after Mack returned from injury. Mack led the way with 45-55% snap splits in neutral game-script situations, but Jordan Wilkins consistently saw 30-40% snaps, and Hines pitched in 10-20% with a ceiling of much more when the Colts were forced to throw the ball. Expect Taylor to get the majority of this backfield's touches when everything is said and done, but it'll likely be a lot closer to 200 than 300.

May 11, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

This seems accurate.   Colts have playoff aspirations so there’s no point giving Taylor 25 touches a week.   2 solid backs for the stretch run and playoffs is their goal.   

• Like 2

If I'm being honest, given Phil's checkdown tendencies and Reid's tendency to favor one workhorse back, I would have much preferred CEH and Taylor trade places for fantasy purposes.

Water on the bridge.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If I'm being honest, given Phil's checkdown tendencies and Reid's tendency to favor one workhorse back, I would have much preferred CEH and Taylor trade places for fantasy purposes.

Water on the bridge.

Get off that bridge!!

• Haha 2

😂

• Thanks 1

Mack, Damien Williams, even Kerryon: 

REALLY GOOD early-season RB value.

Now let's never talk about it again.

• Like 1

Frank Reich on if Marlon Mack should have a lead on retaining the starting running back position over Jonathan Taylor: “There’s definitely inherent respect for the starter returning. And that’s the way I see this….I see it as a 1-1 (punch). The way the league has gone and the way role playing has been elevated in our league, it’s made it prominent. We used to say in San Diego that when we had Danny Woodhead. He was not our starter, he was our ‘role playing’ starter. He played such a significant role. He had 80 catches in a year. You look at a guy like Nyehim Hines. We talk about Marlon and Jonathan, but what about Nyheim? He’s such a good third-down back that he’ll play a prominent (role). In some ways, (Hines) is a starter. He’s a role-playing starter.”

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-notebook-frank-reich-talks-injustice-death-of-george-floyd/

9 hours ago, smeeze said:

Frank Reich on if Marlon Mack should have a lead on retaining the starting running back position over Jonathan Taylor: “There’s definitely inherent respect for the starter returning. And that’s the way I see this….I see it as a 1-1 (punch). The way the league has gone and the way role playing has been elevated in our league, it’s made it prominent. We used to say in San Diego that when we had Danny Woodhead. He was not our starter, he was our ‘role playing’ starter. He played such a significant role. He had 80 catches in a year. You look at a guy like Nyehim Hines. We talk about Marlon and Jonathan, but what about Nyheim? He’s such a good third-down back that he’ll play a prominent (role). In some ways, (Hines) is a starter. He’s a role-playing starter.”

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-notebook-frank-reich-talks-injustice-death-of-george-floyd/

🤣 A role playing starter , jesus ... wrap it up . A coach buttering up his players, what else is new. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

🤣 A role playing starter , jesus ... wrap it up . A coach buttering up his players, what else is new. 

Sounds like a frustrating RBBC this season in Indy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evincar said:

Sounds like a frustrating RBBC this season in Indy.

agreed but I think the cream will rise to the top still. Taylor may not dominate the touches but he will be more efficient and earn more touches than Mack.
Probably gonna have something like a 50/35/15 split with Taylor/Mack/Hines in the run game and it could be the exact opposite in the pass game but I don’t think so. Just my opinion 

Marlon Mack isn't going anywhere this season. Why not burn the rubber off of the tread with his rookie contract in the final year. Unless Mack is traded Taylor is going to be brought along slowly. 

11 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Marlon Mack isn't going anywhere this season. Why not burn the rubber off of the tread with his rookie contract in the final year. Unless Mack is traded Taylor is going to be brought along slowly. 

Just my opinion but I think it’s because Taylor is probably twice as good as Mack (exaggerating).. It will be hard to justify “burning the tread off Mack’s tires” if Taylor keeps breaking of chunk plays every game yanno. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Just my opinion but I think it’s because Taylor is probably twice as good as Mack (exaggerating).. It will be hard to justify “burning the tread off Mack’s tires” if Taylor keeps breaking of chunk plays every game yanno. 

Monte Ball 2.0. Mack knows the system and has shown success within the system. Taylor's time will come, but it isn't going to be anytime before week 7.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Monte Ball 2.0. Mack knows the system and has shown success within the system. Taylor's time will come, but it isn't going to be anytime before week 7.

Monte ball 2.0 Lol I forgot that guy existed.. Lord I hope not. I thought that at first too. Just a fast guy in the Wisconsin system but I’ve came around on him. I don’t think he is elite but maybe a step underneath josh Jacobs??? but still better than Mack. Guess we’ll find out. 

3 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Monte ball 2.0 Lol I forgot that guy existed.. Lord I hope not. I thought that at first too. Just a fast guy in the Wisconsin system but I’ve came around on him. I don’t think he is elite but maybe a step underneath josh Jacobs??? but still better than Mack. Guess we’ll find out. 

No Wisconsin back has produced at an elite level from his freshman year like Taylor did, nor have they tested as well athletically

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

No Wisconsin back has produced at an elite level from his freshman year like Taylor did, nor have they tested as well athletically

ron dayne 2100 freshman season didn’t do any performance tests. So who knows what he woulda have done but he was 5’11 250lbs

3 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

ron dayne 2100 freshman season didn’t do any performance tests. So who knows what he woulda have done but he was 5’11 250lbs

I wasn't going that far back but yeah Dayne definitely did. He was run into the ground in college though. Never had much of a shot in the NFL just for that

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

I wasn't going that far back but yeah Dayne definitely did. He was run into the ground in college though. Never had much of a shot in the NFL just for that

only has 200 more touches than Taylor isn’t their college careers 

A couple other Wisconsin backs had really good freshman years too that were duds. Not 2000 yards but really good

PJ hill 2006 - 1700 tot yards 

anthony Davis 2001 - 1500 rush yards

Wisconsin just just has a great scheme with big o-line and decent to good backs similar to Stanford, Georgia, Ohio state or Oregon a few years ago. Hopefully Taylor is the CMC, zeke or Todd Gurley of Wisconsin.

Edited by Stonej14

11 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

only has 200 more touches than Taylor isn’t their college careers 

A couple other Wisconsin backs had really good freshman years too that were duds. Not 2000 yards but really good

PJ hill 2006 - 1700 tot yards 

anthony Davis 2001 - 1500 rush yards

Wisconsin just just has a great scheme with big o-line and decent to good backs similar to Stanford, Georgia, Ohio state or Oregon a few years ago. Hopefully Taylor is the CMC, zeke or Todd Gurley of Wisconsin.

If Taylor wants to have success he needs to clean up his ball security. In 569 touches, Marlon Mack has only fumbled 3 times. Jonathan Taylor in college fumbled over 18 times and lost 15 of those. Until he enters the building and secure the confidence to be the bell cow he is merely rb2 or flex play. 

1 hour ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

If Taylor wants to have success he needs to clean up his ball security. In 569 touches, Marlon Mack has only fumbled 3 times. Jonathan Taylor in college fumbled over 18 times and lost 15 of those. Until he enters the building and secure the confidence to be the bell cow he is merely rb2 or flex play. 

I’m a little slow and I’m confused. He wont be more than an RB2 ever until he fixes his fumbling or he won’t be more than an RB2 because his fumbling problem will allow Mack to get more snaps? Cuss I agree with the latter not the former. 

Using all three of Mack, Taylor and Hines liberally out of the backfield will be a successful real life formula but it will be frustrating for fantasy.

I am pretty sure Indy thinks they can correct the fumbling issue teaching proper technique.  What they can't teach is Taylor's supreme athletic ability, his determination, and durability.  

Mack has a huge talent deficit in comparison, but he does have the NFL experience edge.  That will likely be especially important in this strange year with no OTAs and a possibly shortened training camp.

• Like 3

I think Melvin Gordon's rookie year in 2015 is is a good frame of reference because of the following similarities:

1) Reich

2) Hines like Woodhead

3) Gordon had fumble issues like Taylor

4) High draft pick

Indy has another difference in Mack

Taylor should be gold in dynasty but he is REALLY overrated in redraft and PPR

• Like 2

I would love to have Taylor in redraft.  I think he will be a bargain because many in the fantasy community are irrationally attached to the marginally talented Mack.  

Even though Mack will undoubtedly still play a role, I expect Taylor to do a lot with his carries and end up in the top 20 or so by the end of the season.

• Like 1