LarryDavid

Jonathan Taylor 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, cookiemonster said:

RB2 through and through. Basically what we drafted him to be.

If he's not a bust, then why does this hurt so much?

I think we all expected some more explosive plays by now. Hopefully the Colts make some changes during the bye.

The pass game usage was very encouraging. 

3 minutes ago, atrium said:

Boring, low ceiling RB2.

you say low ceiling, i say high floor.  lion share of targets, involved in passing game, rivers showing signs of life.  i think his best games are yet to come.  given all the injuries in the league, ill take the boring rb2 numbers at this time in the season.

• Like 5

I can’t believe this guy isnt the best RB in the league after his 6th career game. Unacceptable!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookiemonster said:

RB2 through and through. Basically what we drafted him to be.

If he's not a bust, then why does this hurt so much?

Because once Mack went down he was supposed to be a Barkley type back behind probably the top offensive line. 

I know Rivers threw for 300+ today but overall I think teams are stacking the box and daring Rivers to beat them. Today he did. 

• Like 1

44 passes from Rivers today. I get it Reich. That gold plated howitzer attached to old Phil's shoulder isn't just there for looks you want to show that baby off!

• Haha 1

Reich needs to stop being cute near the gol line and just round the ball. He wants to do these stupid gimmick plays...

Guys, they trailed 21-0 in this game and Taylor got to 15.5 points without scoring a TD.  You should be thrilled at seeing this floor from him. A lesser man would've scored 4.

Edited by KennyWoo
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This was definitely a promising game if you're a Taylor owner. They involved him in the passing game and he dominated the touches, no Wilkins or Hines in sight. If this keeps up, he will hit that consistent RB1 status week to week. Promising signs for his usage.

Him showing that he'll take these dump passes for 10+ yards every time will probably get him eating some of Hines' share going forward which is gold for any River's RB in PPR.

Edited by harck
  • Like 4

Starting to see improvement every week...YPC average, receptions uptick...everything. Gut feeling is after Bye he gets a lot more touches, but what do I know?

image.png.19e9536c6c81ca011e0d854ad5eda7c3.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Guys, they trailed 21-0 in this game and Taylor got to 15.5 points without scoring a TD.  You should be thrilled at seeing this floor from him. A lesser man would've scored 4.

Exactly. Taylor unfortunately is a slow burn. 
You should be delighted he was not abandoned and game scripted out of the game. It shows the pendulum is now on his side. 
Byes can clear coaches heads. 

The biggest issue is the colts play calling. They would rather have rivers throw 40 plus times all game regardless of the game script. The cute play calling at the goal line is another issue. Is handing the ball of to your RB at the goal line just too easy? Its like these coaches always have to throw in some trick play every time they get to the goal line. I don't get it. But on a positive note his touches do seem to be increasing. 

28 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

The biggest issue is the colts play calling. They would rather have rivers throw 40 plus times all game regardless of the game script. The cute play calling at the goal line is another issue. Is handing the ball of to your RB at the goal line just too easy? Its like these coaches always have to throw in some trick play every time they get to the goal line. I don't get it. But on a positive note his touches do seem to be increasing. 

Personally I think they could be trying to get Rivers confidence up in the redzone, they know they have good RBs but are looking for someone else to step up for a run in the playoffs. I could be giving this coaching staff too much credit, but you never know

8 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

I think we're all waiting for what D'Andre Swift did yesterday lol. Still unbelievable he put up 26 pts on so limited touches. 

Wilkins also had like 2-3 snaps...and don't think I'm blaming injury for this one. Taylor is getting more receiving work (thanks Rivers) than Mack ever got.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Wilkins also had like 2-3 snaps...and don't think I'm blaming injury for this one. Taylor is getting more receiving work (thanks Rivers) than Mack ever got.

Well Mack caught 3 for 30 in the 1.5 quarters he played. 

Its was nice to see Taylor get some designed screen passes early.

I have a feeling this guy is gonna blow up after the bye. Dude could've easily had a TD and 20+ points this week if the coaching staff didn't get cute around the goal line.

I'm not sure why so many people are down on Taylor. I mean, for me when my team is healthy, he's my Flex. This is where I drafted him for (even before Mack injury I was hoping he had Flex value with upside for more). Now granted nobody could predict the Mack injury, but even so was anyone going into the season expecting Taylor to be their RB1 or even RB2 out of the gate? The fact that he has potential to be an RB1 down the stretch has me wet in my pants. RB2 he already is and I'd put money that he'll end up as an RB1 towards the playoffs.

The fact that Taylor had 15+ points this week in a game w/out scoring a TD where the Colts were down 3 touchdowns early is VERY encouraging.

Edited by RoseLin23
  • Like 3

On 10/18/2020 at 6:28 PM, KennyWoo said:

Agreed. May sound funny but this is the most encouraged I've been about him this far. Usage has always been my concern, and to see him very involved in a game they were down big is a real good sign. 

Just traded for Mr. Taylor. Hoping the schedule and possibly increased usage lead to a good buy. Im always looking at playoffs and Pittsburgh week 16 looks like a brick wall at the end of a solid stretch of hope.  

45 minutes ago, Buckmcbuck said:

Just traded for Mr. Taylor. Hoping the schedule and possibly increased usage lead to a good buy. Im always looking at playoffs and Pittsburgh week 16 looks like a brick wall at the end of a solid stretch of hope.  

Gotta get to week 16 first.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, chargahs said:

Gotta get to week 16 first.

Haha gotta have hope even before that. Taylor's usage honestly is a bit shotty but I'm banking on improvement.

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Who's ready for a post-bye colts team to hopefully unleash this guy? At detroit looks like a RB1 finish to me..

slow and steady....

Jonathan Taylor is averaging 4.5 yards per carry over his past four games compared to 2.7 for Jordan Wilkins and Nyheim Hines. 

Yards per carry is yards per carry, but it has been clear for weeks now that the run-heavy Colts would benefit from cutting Taylor all the way loose instead of keeping him in the 14-18 touch range. RBs coach Tom Rathman hinted it's coming. “He’s done everything that he needs to do,” Rathman said. “It’s just about getting experience. The more he gets, the better he’s going to be.” Coming off their bye week, treating Taylor like a true foundation book against the Lions' sub-par run defense would be an easy adjustment for the Colts to make. 

• Like 1