Rotoworld.com Forums

Justin Jefferson 2020 Outlook

Just now, this guy right here said:

His week 3 performance just seems like an anomaly. That's not MINs game. Diggs frustrated people. This kid is not Diggs. He'll go back to 2-30 / 3-30 and people will drop him. People expect monster games every week. They get fed up with people they drafted in the early rounds. They won't be patient with this guy. 

1. Min's game will rely on game script. Ideally, yes, they would like to run the ball and play defense and ball control. But have you seen the defense? It is the youngest defense in the league. Their best player Danielle Hunter is on IR and not yet practicing. Anthony Barr is out for the year. They have two great safeties but their corners are all 24 years old and younger. There is a steep learning curve where they will be behind and will have to throw the rock.

2. You're right, he's not Diggs; he's just bigger, faster, longer, and had better production in college. 

3. Yes, he could go back to 2-30, 3-30 some weeks. And some other weeks he'll explode. We just saw he has the ability to explode because he can win at all levels. I think anyone who has any fantasy football experience understands players dont give you monster games every week.

It just sounds like wishful thinking on your part. Adam Thielen is 30 years old. The torch will be passed soon enough. Jefferson is the alpha. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Magoo said:

Anyone else getting that OBJ rookie year vibe?  Re-watching the highlights he may be even better on the outside than the slot..

Nope. The Giants had ZERO run game, an even worse D than MIN seems to have now and V Cruz was hurt leaving OBJ as the only player on the team with any skill.

Edited by this guy right here
23 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

1. Min's game will rely on game script. Ideally, yes, they would like to run the ball and play defense and ball control. But have you seen the defense? It is the youngest defense in the league. Their best player Danielle Hunter is on IR and not yet practicing. Anthony Barr is out for the year. They have two great safeties but their corners are all 24 years old and younger. There is a steep learning curve where they will be behind and will have to throw the rock.

2. You're right, he's not Diggs; he's just bigger, faster, longer, and had better production in college. 

3. Yes, he could go back to 2-30, 3-30 some weeks. And some other weeks he'll explode. We just saw he has the ability to explode because he can win at all levels. I think anyone who has any fantasy football experience understands players dont give you monster games every week.

It just sounds like wishful thinking on your part. Adam Thielen is 30 years old. The torch will be passed soon enough. Jefferson is the alpha. 

Diggs is one of the best route runners in the league. Cousins is a non-risk taker. One would have thought he'd go to Diggs more due to this.

Comparing college production is apples to oranges. LSU better system, better coaching...Jefferson had a No1 pick NFL QB throwing to him.

You asked why I thought he'd be dropped. My argument did not involve anything about his talent. You are assuming what I think about him as a talent and getting defensive about something I agree with you with.

2 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Young Reggie Wayne.... bigger, faster longer than Diggs.... OBJ vibes.... alpha to a 30 year old (Omg so old!) Thielen. 

Is that it?

The Reggie Wayne comp was from the player profile link.

Bigger, faster, longer than Diggs is objective when you look at physical data.

OBJ Vibes....I didn't say that so I won't comment on that.

Alpha to Thielen; Thielen have always done better playing the sidekick and taking those easy slot looks. And in real life, 30 is young. In football years, especially for skilled positions, anything over 30 can be a cliff in physical decline. 

3 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Diggs is one of the best route runners in the league. Cousins is a non-risk taker. One would have thought he'd go to Diggs more due to this.

Comparing college production is apples to oranges. LSU better system, better coaching...Jefferson had a No1 pick NFL QB throwing to him.

You asked why I thought he'd be dropped. My argument did not involve anything about his talent. You are assuming what I think about him as a talent and getting defensive about something I agree with you with.

And I gave you the best reason (which I haven't heard a rebuttal yet) surrounding his circumstances. The Vikings defense flat out, sucks right now. They will have to throw the ball to stay in games, and to try and win games. That's probably not going to change for a bit once the young players start to gain experience. 

Diggs is one of the best route runners in the league; I agree with you. JJ was one of the best route runners coming out last year (probably second to Lamb). I agree JJ is not on Digg's route running level yet. But that still is irrelevant to his 2020 fantasy prospects. 

Edited by battle2heaven
2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

And I gave you the best reason (which I haven't heard a rebuttal yet) surrounding his circumstances. The Vikings defense flat out, sucks right now. They will have to throw the ball to stay in games, and to try and win games. That's probably not going to change for a bit once the young players start to gain experience. 

Diggs is one of the best route runners in the league; I agree with you. JJ was one of the best route runners coming out last year (probably second to Lamb). I agree JJ is not on Digg's route running level yet. But that still is irrelevant to his 2020 fantasy prospects. 

I don't know why you are expecting a rebuttal. The reason I think he'll be dropped has nothing to do with his ability.  It has everything to do with MINs offense and the fickleness of people who play FFB.

Here's one...if a team has a bad D and a good running game they'll try to keep the D off the field by controlling the clock with the running game. If it works.... little volume for WRs. If it doesn't...your correct about his volume. Neither of us know. Just educated guesses which we both made solid arguments for.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

I’m in the same boat. If Diontae sits, i’m rolling him out.

Yup. In dynasty. Rolling with Claypool as well. It's become a desperate situation with my WR group, but JJ seems to be advanced for a rookie. 

• Like 1

HOU secondary is pretty solid. More likely to be a Cook / Mattison / Thielen game and Hou has a crappy O. And Minn still sucks. 

Probably better to wait and see for this week. Schedule gets sweet after Sunday.

Edited by Magoo

so im an official member now lol i bought in when i heard last nite that whoever was commentating the game before the start said that kubiak told them they made an effort to get him more involved that day...definitely hope this trend follows...thielen going to get his of course but if there was a time when both diggs and thielen did well on this team i got hope lol

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger (and probably overly paid on FAAB) but similar to Power-O above ^^ I'm thinking this team has space for two solid WRs. Tee Higgins was also enticing, but he has to compete with AJG and Boyd, and I feel like JJ has a more clear path to a WR2 role on his team, and WR3/Flex fantasy role. Esp. since that Vikings D this year is about as bad as it's been, I wouldn't be surprised to see shoot outs this season. All Aboard Chooo Chooooo!!

Spent some good amount of faab on him, $50%+

Vikings won't have the proper preparation this week, so I'm expecting a dud game, but like magoo said after this Sunday that schedule looks pretty nice

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CABLE87 said:

Spent some good amount of faab on him, $50%+

Vikings won't have the proper preparation this week, so I'm expecting a dud game, but like magoo said after this Sunday that schedule looks pretty nice

Agreed, I spent just over 30% of the total season FAAB but 75% of my remaining dollars. 

I didn't grab him for just this week but for his future development. I liked him coming into this season, and had my eye on him, but thought it would take 6-8 weeks for him to catch his stride, this week 3 explosion gave me that signal that young dude is ready. Let's GooOO!!!

18 minutes ago, dorwell said:

Last year I grabbed another rookie WR in week 2 from the waivers. Hopefully Justin can go the same way as Terry McLaurin. His touchdown run was very inspiring and all signs point towards a good situation in Minnesota. 

Haha me too bro I was a Scary Terry owner last yr as well. Here's to JJ being McLaurin#2

• Like 1

Secured JJ as well. The only thing missing was the opportunity. Many people will make the mistake of pointing to his first two games where he wasn't featured. Snap count:

Week 1: 69% (did not start) 3 targets, 2 rec. 26 yards (long of 17) efficient

Week 2: 54% (did not start) 3 targets, 3 rec. 44 yards (long of 22) highly efficient (Coaches begin talking about giving him more opportunities) Maybe they saw something? I dunno...

Week 3: 78% (started) 9 targets, 7 rec. 175 yards, TD (long of 71 with a comlplimentary Three Stooges Blooper Reel starring Titans DBs)

How can you expect a player to cook when he is wearing server's garb? The minute they put him in the kitchen, he killed it. Not saying he is going to repeat OBJ's rookie season but I am definitely more optimistic than the pessimists in here. Think the truth lies somewhere between their floor and his actual ceiling. I don't make it a habit of chasing points but this kid looked the part IMO.

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo
  • Like 1