Strike Three

J.K. Dobbins 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

I mean Gus Edwards still got 133 carries last year.  IMO he was the CLEAR back-up to Ingram.  Someone like Dobbins who they spent significant draft capital on, I could see earning a bigger piece than Gus last year.  Maybe 150-160 carries?  Especially if Lamar runs a bit less - 160-175 carries?  Ingram can be cut after this season and save the team $5mm in cap space, so I imagine Dobbins is the legacy plan for next season to replace a will be 31 year old RB.  For re-draft, I'm not spending high capital on Dobbins.  But for dynasty, this guy could make an argument for #1 pick.

Agreed.   Couldn’t get a much better spot for dynasty.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many fans were scratching their heads in my neck of the woods over this pick, not me. First off, Mark Ingram and I love the guy has just turned 30 and injuries will come. That would leave the Ravens down to Gus Edwards who has shown so much promise. I however would much rather have two young RB's in the the backfield showing much promise if our main guy goes down. I think the pick was a smart one and I think Dobbins will have a really good year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Ravens GM Eric DeCosta believes it would have been "irresponsible" for the team to not select RB J.K. Dobbins in the second round since he carried a round one grade on Baltimore's board.

    "My philosophy is talent wins," DeCosta told Adam Schein. "If you have a running back who you think can be a dynamic player for you and you are a team who loves to run the football, to me it makes too much sense." The Ravens were in a class above the rest of the league running the football last season, averaging 206 yards as a team. The next closest franchise was the 49ers at 144 yards. Dobbins' immediate contribution might be split with Mark Ingram, but there seems to be a clear path to a second-year explosion in 2021.

    SOURCE: Mad Dog Radio
    May 4, 2020, 3:00 PM ET
     
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Player A:

-289 carries 

-1,821 yards 

-6.3 yards/carry 

-23 TDs

Player B:

-301 carries

-2,003 yards

-6.7 yards/carry

-23 TDs

One of these players was drafted 6th overall; the other was drafted 55th overall.

One of these players is Ezekiel Elliott; the other is J.K. Dobbins.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BMcP said:

Player A:

-289 carries 

-1,821 yards 

-6.3 yards/carry 

-23 TDs

Player B:

-301 carries

-2,003 yards

-6.7 yards/carry

-23 TDs

One of these players was drafted 6th overall; the other was drafted 55th overall.

One of these players is Ezekiel Elliott; the other is J.K. Dobbins.


love this stat comparison. If JK woulda been 220LBs and ran a 4.4 at the combine I’m sure he woulda been drafted much earlier 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said the team thinks second-round RB J.K. Dobbins is "a three-down back."

"We think he's a three-down back," DeCosta said. "He's been extremely durable. He's an outstanding fit for what we like to do." He also said he's learned that "you've got to have quality depth" at that position. It's the second time the Ravens' GM has touted 21-year-old Dobbins in the last 48 hours as the front office arguably views the Ohio State product as a contributor immediately out the gates. Mark Ingram is expected to be involved in some capacity in a two-down role, but Dobbins' seamless transition into Baltimore's intuitive run-heavy scheme paints an optimistic picture for the rookie in year one under OC Greg Roman.

  •  
May 6, 2020, 4:20 PM ET
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I think you have to like is that Dobbins worked so well with Fields.  Fields isn't Lamar as a ball carrier, but he's got some moves.  He's used to playing with a mobile QB, and being able to play RPO type stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, goke said:

 

I didn’t watch the video. But whatever Simms said the opposite is going to happen. I’d rather take advice from Skip Bayless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess nobody remembers the fact that Ingram didn't stop Kamara.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pushaZ said:

I guess nobody remembers the fact that Ingram didn't stop Kamara.

Ingram is going to be a JAG by week 6. Just like Novocain, give it time baby, because dobbins is going to take the backfield. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Ingram is going to be a JAG by week 6. Just like Novocain, give it time baby, because dobbins is going to take the backfield. 

 

That is a bold prediction my friend. Not that I don't think it can happen. But, I just don't think it will. I think the more likely scenario is it's a committee this season. 

JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The G Man said:

 

That is a bold prediction my friend. Not that I don't think it can happen. But, I just don't think it will. I think the more likely scenario is it's a committee this season. 

JMHO.

That’s definitely how most people feel and it’s baked into his price. His upside = league winner, and I don’t think the Ravens are going to mess around in an effort to “save” Dobbins if he’s outperforming Ingram. The Ravens have a window with Lamar on a rookie deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean how many seasons has Ingram even played 16 games? Let me save you the click, it is three. Ingram isn't a healthy rb and ended up getting hurt last year. Il trust selecting dobbins for the high risk high reward this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up taking Dobbins with the 4th pick in my dynasty league draft (rookies and leftover FA's from last season).  It was a really tough decision between Dobbins, Swift and Akers but it seems like Dobbins would be in an ideal offense if they decide to let Ingram go after the year.  I don't expect much out of him this season while Ingram is healthy, but I would imagine if they're planning on releasing Ingram after season's end they would want to give this kid more snaps just to make sure they got what they were hoping they drafted before heading into the offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Justice Hill 2.0, or are we legit here?

Everybody's a star in training camp, but I actually like Dobby, especially in Dynasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

Everybody's a star in training camp, but I actually like Dobby, especially in Dynasty.

 

yeah ... i hear ya

but i recall the same golden showering of praise on the kid Hill last exhibition season/camp - ya just knew Harbags was gonna run the foosball a ton, but the kid barely got any meaningful run, what wif the Bus being direct backup to Ingram and all ... Hill was relegated to janitor (mop-up), if that. 

now, all that being said ... yes, yes i will be looking for the Private come draft night(s).

 

f_troop.trooper_hannibal_dobbs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, The G Man said:
  • Ravens GM Eric DeCosta believes it would have been "irresponsible" for the team to not select RB J.K. Dobbins in the second round since he carried a round one grade on Baltimore's board.

    "My philosophy is talent wins," DeCosta told Adam Schein. "If you have a running back who you think can be a dynamic player for you and you are a team who loves to run the football, to me it makes too much sense." The Ravens were in a class above the rest of the league running the football last season, averaging 206 yards as a team. The next closest franchise was the 49ers at 144 yards. Dobbins' immediate contribution might be split with Mark Ingram, but there seems to be a clear path to a second-year explosion in 2021.

    SOURCE: Mad Dog Radio
    May 4, 2020, 3:00 PM ET
     
  •  

Hype is the enemy here for re-draft. In dynasty he's a no brainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 8:41 AM, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Ingram is going to be a JAG by week 6. Just like Novocain, give it time baby, because dobbins is going to take the backfield. 

 

Calling Ingram a JAG immediately negates whatever comes after that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Man the Ingram disrespect on this thread is laughable. Ingram was fantastic for the ravens last year and is one of the key pieces to their offense. The team also loves him, they might lower is workload a little more to keep him healthy but anyone saying Ingram isn’t as good simply didn’t watch him play last year.

He gets disrespected every off season, and he will yet again produce and be a top 15 RB. He’s the #1 option on a top 5 offense and #1 rushing offense in the league. He’s an absolute steal at his adp.

I think Dobbins will be a beast, and a good duo with Ingram. But I believe his time to really produce comes next year 

Edited by Breesus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a chance both ingram and dobbins can be weely rb15 to rb 19 at their cost if they both get 15 touches per game and gus edwards goes away (which is the key). If gus edwards gets his weekly 8 touches per game it kills what dobbins and ingram can become together. I am hoping as a dobbins owner in some leagues it is just ingram and dobbins and edwards goes away. IF they love what they see in justice hill this camp I could see a scenario where gus edwards is traded before the season for a low draft pick to a team like the bears or another team that seems like they could use rb depth. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Anyone have any insight into what this dude's going for in redraft auctions?

I see him around 10 $... Somewhere 15$

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 8:57 PM, isuckatdfs said:

There is a chance both ingram and dobbins can be weely rb15 to rb 19 at their cost if they both get 15 touches per game and gus edwards goes away (which is the key). If gus edwards gets his weekly 8 touches per game it kills what dobbins and ingram can become together. I am hoping as a dobbins owner in some leagues it is just ingram and dobbins and edwards goes away. IF they love what they see in justice hill this camp I could see a scenario where gus edwards is traded before the season for a low draft pick to a team like the bears or another team that seems like they could use rb depth. 


News flash: Edwards is not going away. Adjust expectations accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...