smeeze

Cam Akers 2020 Outlook

Akers was dropped in one of my 12 man leagues PPR debating if I should pick him up I didnt like what I saw from Sundays game he did look like jag but don't think the rams just waisted their 2nd round pick on a jag if they didnt think he would amount to something in their offense. maybe they start easing akers more in and he plays better vs the eagles and gets those first game jitters out of the way.

would he be providing more value than chase edmonds? Joshua Kelly? JK Dobbins? in a couple of weeks from now?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, dave.zavala89 said:

Akers was dropped in one of my 12 man leagues PPR debating if I should pick him up I didnt like what I saw from Sundays game he did look like jag but don't think the rams just waisted their 2nd round pick on a jag if they didnt think he would amount to something in their offense. maybe they start easing akers more in and he plays better vs the eagles and gets those first game jitters out of the way.

would he be providing more value than chase edmonds? Joshua Kelly? JK Dobbins? in a couple of weeks from now?

This could be be something for the Bench Coach forum. Either way, in terms of waiver priority, I'd replace: Kelly, Edmonds, in that waiver order and hold Dobbins. 

Edited by THall0890

Akers will be on my bench.  I may give him 2 more weeks until I start lookng for better options.

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dave.zavala89 said:

Lol. Beat it on over to the asst coach forums with these jabroni questions. 

• Like 2

Will be holding with an outlook of him taking the RB1 role in the second half. Brown is a 3.9 career guy that provides a stop-gap for a system he is familiar with. 

• Like 4

It’s like people thought they were getting CEH or something. No, you got Cam Akers, pal. He’s not Todd Gurley and won’t be this year, if ever. He was a draft and hope he breaks out by mid season type of RB.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dave.zavala89 said:

Whoever dropped him is a full blown idiot.

Conclude what you want in terms of what that makes everyone else that didn’t put a claim in for him

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

It’s like people thought they were getting CEH or something. No, you got Cam Akers, pal. He’s not Todd Gurley and won’t be this year, if ever. He was a draft and hope he breaks out by mid season type of RB.

Behind CEH, Akers and Taylor were hyped as the only other rookie RBs with a great chance to dominate the backfield out of the gate. So alot of people drafted them with RB2 expectations early on. He was going in the 5th round consistently in alot of drafts. That not a hope and pray pick lol

44 minutes ago, Klientel said:

Behind CEH, Akers and Taylor were hyped as the only other rookie RBs with a great chance to dominate the backfield out of the gate. So alot of people drafted them with RB2 expectations early on. He was going in the 5th round consistently in alot of drafts. That not a hope and pray pick lol

Neilter Taylor and CEH were going to either on week 1. There was no preseason what do people expect. Taylor wasn't doing anything until Mack injury and CEH got lucky that Damian opted out.

1 hour ago, CallMeBrady said:

It's literally been just one game. Dropping him now is beyond stupid.

stop it with your rational thinking.  No room for that here  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CallMeBrady said:

It's literally been just one game. Dropping him now is beyond stupid.

Maybe my memory is worse than I thought but is it always this bad after week 1? Not just with Akers but in general, the amount of overreacting seems to be at an all time high. We’re talking about a rookie, who had zero preseason games with the offense. Like someone said above, if you drafted Akers, it was maybe a 1st half flex but more than likely a bench spot that could turn into a solid starter for the 2nd half of the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newyork2la said:

Maybe my memory is worse than I thought but is it always this bad after week 1? Not just with Akers but in general, the amount of overreacting seems to be at an all time high. We’re talking about a rookie, who had zero preseason games with the offense. Like someone said above, if you drafted Akers, it was maybe a 1st half flex but more than likely a bench spot that could turn into a solid starter for the 2nd half of the season. 

Every year after week 1 this forum pumps out more bad takes than CNN and FOX pump out combined over a decade. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Very interesting. Also why we don’t overreact to one game. Looks like the Cowboys either underestimated Brown, overestimated Akers, or some combination thereof.

Still didn’t look great with eye test thou! 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Very interesting. Also why we don’t overreact to one game. Looks like the Cowboys either underestimated Brown, overestimated Akers, or some combination thereof.

This kind of explains why it looked like Akers ran into a brick wall on pretty much all of his runs.

this backfield is gonna look very different by midseason, imo ... but, gotta say - Brown looked damn good 🤷‍♂️

Green Akers is still the long play here, though ... i shan't budge. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, smeeze said:

The kid got legitimate respect from the opposing defense.

• Like 2

But buying Akers from a panicked Akers drafter might be JUST the ticket.

Players Cam Akers, a rookie without a preseason got more carries than last week:

Dalvin Cook

Kareem Hunt

Alvin Kamara

David Montgomery 

David Johnson

Jonathan Taylor

Devin Singletary 

Mark Ingram 

Also had more YPC than Kamara, Taylor, and Barkley. It's one week and he got a big workload. Relax. 

Edited by mulhollandvelvet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

I love reading things like this, but the ultimate question I ask myself are the following:

1)  Is this fake news?  There's so much garbage out there.

2)  Why?

So I start with #1 - Seems reasonable to do this against a rookie, so I'll move on

#2 - Why would this happen?

Well, I remember watching a handful of FSU games and this dude looked fast, but I don't remember him receiving the ball much even though this team was a bad team and played from behind a lot.

Let me check college stats.  OK, good ground work, very minimal receiving work.

Now, I have my assumption that he's not a great receiving threat and he's likely going to come out of college a raw product in the passing game.  Let's see what some scouts say on him for this matter:

Pass Protection - Has all the physical ability to be a standout pass blocker but reps are often dreadful. Lacks awareness when reading the defense and good coordinators put him in conflict and he usually took the wrong man. Can be passive to lean in with a shoulder instead of getting square, engaging his hands and leveraging his hips. Needs to get coached up. 

Receiving - Found some production as a pass catcher at Florida State but he was often an afterthought more than a priority in the scheme/progressions. Timing and execution of routes has to improve. Hands appear adequate although I wouldn’t expect him to make difficult adjustments with consistency. 

BEST TRAIT - Size, Power, Athleticism 

WORST TRAIT - Pass Pro 

RED FLAGS - None

NFL COMP - Mark Ingram

When it comes to physical ability, Akers has everything an NFL team could want in a running back. Unfortunately, those traits weren’t able to be fully deployed behind an erratic offensive line at Florida State and a poorly designed scheme from Willie Taggart. While Akers has an extremely high ceiling, some patience may be required as he evolves in a better situation to showcase his talent. In addition, Akers has to develop his passing down skill set. Akers has no physical limitations and he profiles as a productive starter in time. 

So, just as I thought, scouts that watch and analyze 10x more tape than me say this dude is not good in the passing game coming out.  He's gonna need work.  Well, due to COVID, Training Camp was minimal as compared to other years, coupled with no pre-season live action.

The easiest word for this is "raw".

So, if I'm an opposing DC I send an order to my captains on defense... When Cam comes into the field of play, stack the box, protect against the run, do NOT let him into open space, and let's bully him to get to the QB because he requires a lot of work in pass pro.

When Malcolm Brown comes in, as a DC, I know this dude has played Rams football for several years now and can do everything.  I can't defend this guy the same way I can defend a 1 dimensional player. 

These are just some of my ramblings when I see stats like this.  

Bottom line, until Cam proves otherwise, this seemed like a good strategy to use to limit him.  In the NFL they call that "tape".  Not too sure this is a positive at all for Cam when teams have tape against you that shows how to limit you.

The ways to defeat tape against you are shore up those weaknesses by getting better in pass pro, and proving to be a legit passing game threat by ripping off huge gainers in the second level.  This generally happens with time.  It'll come for Cam, at least I think it should, the question that I don't know... is when?

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm a loser at formatting.  I guess everything looks like a quote.  Whatever.  I'll never be a computer programmer.  The scouts I copy + pasted stop at "Akers has no physical limitations and he profiles as a productive starter in time. " then it goes back to me talking.

• Like 1

I was able to follow along despite the formating anomaly.  Sounds like being patient with Akers is the play in season-long.

• Like 1