The G Man

D'Andre Swift 2020 Outlook

Didn't see a thread for him yet. 

Interesting landing spot. I like it if he overtakes Johnson, who I don't think is all that special and has had a hard time staying healthy.  

Lions selected Georgia RB D'Andre Swift with the No. 35 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The Lions' already-crowded backfield just added another capable back. Swift (5’8/212) averaged 7.8 yards per touch behind Nick Chubb and Sony Michel as a true freshmen at Georgia, then rushed for over 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns in each of his last two seasons as the team's starter. His combination of vision, patience, and 63rd-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism made him an efficient runner as he averaged 6.6 YPC on 440 career totes. Per Pro Football Focus, he also led his class in rate of 10-plus yard gains (20%) in his final year. The Bulldogs catered to Swift's strength as a receiver, moving him all over the formation (including out wide) to assure him space to work. PFF charged him with only three dropped targets across 73 career receptions (and 9.1 yards per catch). His versatile skill set ultimately plays in any offense, making him another Georgia runner expected to produce immediately at the next level. Expect a committee of sorts between Swift and Kerryon Johnson.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:23 PM ET

He could turn into a solid RB and the first one Lions had since some guy named Barry....

Horrid landing spot. Can’t just assume that Johnson keeps getting injured. RBBC on a bad team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Horrid landing spot. Can’t just assume that Johnson keeps getting injured. RBBC on a bad team.

Really hoping the rest of my league in my rookie keeper league has the same opinion. 

• Like 3

I think the most individually talented RB in this class.

Obviously a murky situation with Kerryon and a team that passes a lot.

Love the player, not wild about the situation.

The real question is, when/where do you take  the chance and plunge in to take him? 

He probably won't get out of the first four rounds in redraft leagues.  Is he worth the risk?

1 minute ago, theSPANKER said:

The real question is, when/where do you take  the chance and plunge in to take him? 

He probably won't get out of the first four rounds in redraft leagues.  Is he worth the risk?

Not at that price 

Just now, joshua18 said:

Not at that price 

5th round?  Fair value?

3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

5th round?  Fair value?

It's just hard to say because we just don’t know if KJ will be able to stay healthy. If Kerryon stays healthy, then even a 5th is too rich. And we can’t just assume he’ll get hurt again. I think you have to enter the season assuming health, and if both are healthy, Kerryon will get his touches. This is a real curious landing spot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I could see worse potential flex type options in the 6th if your league is structured that way.  RB3 with profit potential if Kerryon's injuries are worse than perceived.

4th?  Not for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theSPANKER said:

5th round?  Fair value?

50 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I could see worse potential flex type options in the 6th if your league is structured that way.  RB3 with profit potential if Kerryon's injuries are worse than perceived.

4th?  Not for me.

53 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

It's just hard to say because we just don’t know if KJ will be able to stay healthy. If Kerryon stays healthy, then even a 5th is too rich. And we can’t just assume he’ll get hurt again. I think you have to enter the season assuming health, and if both are healthy, Kerryon will get his touches. This is a real curious landing spot. 

for me it’s more of a question of who’s he up against. late 4th and into the 5th there are other players i’d draft before swift, though i do love swift's talent. half-point PPR ADP right now these guys are ahead of swift for me: austin ekeler, dj moore, dk metcalf, mark ingram, aj brown, kenyan drake.

6th to 7th seems like the value, and i’d go swift over hunt and guice.

i value swift at the david johnson level, and if i had to choose between the two my timer would probably run out...

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, Sack Exchange said:

for me it’s more of a question of who’s he up against. late 4th and into the 5th there are other players i’d draft before swift, though i do love swift's talent. half-point PPR ADP right now these guys are ahead of swift for me: austin ekeler, dj moore, dk metcalf, mark ingram, aj brown, kenyan drake.

6th to 7th seems like the value, and i’d go swift over hunt and guice.

i value swift at the david johnson level, and if i had to choose between the two my timer would probably run out...

giphy.gif

I echo this 100%.  4th/5th round is a bit high IMO.  You're ending up with Swift possibly as your RB2 in those rounds which I don't like at all, or you're passing up a nice WR2 to grab Swift as your RB3, which I don't like at all.  I would take all those players over Swift as well, and probably a bunch more too. 

• Like 1

Is it me or are the lions screwing up the RBBC thing. Usually this path has a coach taking a couple later round guys that excel at different things and utilize those skills like the giants did for years or the packers are now or the 49ers. But to have two 2nd round RBs that are both pretty good at everything seems more wasteful than drafting 1 Elite RB in the first round At least then you have a true difference maker at the position. 

• Like 2

I think that Swift comes out of the draft as the most talented RB of the class. Looking at what Kerryon Johnson has done in his NFL career although he is very talented he is certainly not a lock at the #1 RB slot in Detroit. He is just too much of an injury risk. So for that the situation for Swift is in a pretty solid situation. As for what the team does most of the time with Stafford throwing the ball all over the field that does not sit very well for Swift and his value and his situation. I still think the situation works out this way. The beginning of the season it will be a RBBC and then slowly Swift will take over or Kerryon will get injured and Swift will be forced to take over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Is it me or are the lions screwing up the RBBC thing. Usually this path has a coach taking a couple later round guys that excel at different things and utilize those skills like the giants did for years or the packers are now or the 49ers. But to have two 2nd round RBs that are both pretty good at everything seems more wasteful than drafting 1 Elite RB in the first round At least then you have a true difference maker at the position. 

Well, FWIW, the Niners are paying Coleman 4.6 million and the Lions are paying Kerryon 1.6.  There's something to be said cap management wise for paying backs on their rookie deals, and also typically when they peak athletically.  The 49ers also have an offensive line that is loads better though.

10 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Those arent rookies

I know. You didn't ask for rookie rankings, you just said their rankings. ;)

I can't find FP's page from last pre-season with rookie only rankings. You can look for that your self though, if you want. Just Google it. Or, you can just sift through the overall rankings from the link I posted. FYI, you can sort it by position to make it a little easier, and you can also sort by scoring format (PPR, 1/2 PPR & standard). 

Just giving it a cursory glance, it looks like they had Jacobs ranked #1 rookie RB, followed by D-Mo, then Sanders (based on PPR). Pretty good, I think. I like Fantasy Pros. The site is easy navigate, and they're usually pretty accurate with their analysis. It's also a consensus, not just one so called expert's opinion.   

• Thanks 1

Where are you taking him in a dynasty start up?

I think he overtakes Kerryon quickly...but then again, we all know Fat Patricia's tendencies to just rotate backs regardless of talent or productivity.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, joshua18 said:

Oh but I think we can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Proteus said:

Oh but I think we can.

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm at. If Johnson misses extended time (which has been the case in both of the last two seasons), then I think there is a clear path to Swift carving out a featured role on that team. Admittedly I don't follow the Lions closely, but I know they have their issues from a coaching and competitive standpoint. But. I think Swift is talented and I believe talent wins out over time. 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Great talent, but just the wrong team and system. wasted career just like Megatron.

I don't care if the Lions waste Swift's career as long as he gets plenty of rushing yards, receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns during the first 16 weeks of the regular season.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1