The G Man

D'Andre Swift 2020 Outlook

I don’t draft based on hopes and dreams.

If Kerryon is healthy he won’t be worth anywhere near a top 5 round pick and I’m going to treat him as such. 

On 5/18/2020 at 3:10 AM, Gohawks said:

I don’t draft based on hopes and dreams.

If Kerryon is healthy he won’t be worth anywhere near a top 5 round pick and I’m going to treat him as such. 

More than fair for redraft.

As for keeper/dynasty, I believe that Kerryon is 1-2 more leg injuries from becoming a career backup, or just flaming out of the league. 

• Thanks 1

What a disaster of a landing spot. Can't remember a fantasy star RB from Detroit ever. They didn't have a 100 yard rusher for seasons upon seasons until Kerryon his rookie year.

Combine that with an overgrown unkempt frat boy who thinks he's Belichick and I see a Patriots-style RBBC without the success

2 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Can't remember a fantasy star RB from Detroit ever.

barry-sanders-o.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Was fantasy around back then?

I miss Barry Sanders so much 

Jahvid Best was also a stud and a steal for 8 games before he got injured for good.

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

barry-sanders-o.gif

Who's that? Theo Riddick? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Reggie Bush had a nice year in 2013 and it would’ve been even better had he not missed 2 games. Not necessarily a star running back but that was a year worth mentioning. 

2 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Was fantasy around back then?

The first ever fantasy football league known was in 1969.  Some Oakland Raiders employees I believe.

As for Swift, pretty sure Detroit brought him as a solution for years of inept running games.

17 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The first ever fantasy football league known was in 1969.  Some Oakland Raiders employees I believe.

As for Swift, pretty sure Detroit brought him as a solution for years of inept running games.

About Swift: what I meant was that the rushing game being inept all these years might suggest that the RB is not the problem, and that it is overall organizational failure.

And I don't see their change to the wannabe Patriots meaning good things for their rushing game fantasy wise.

I could see this year being similar to David Montgomery last season (though a bit better because I think Swift is better than Monty)

• Like 1

It seems so bizarre to me that the Lions have never had a competent running game alongside Stafford. 

Just seems like a dude who would keep the boxes unstacked at all times. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fjthegrey said:

It seems so bizarre to me that the Lions have never had a competent running game alongside Stafford. 

Just seems like a dude who would keep the boxes unstacked at all times. 

They really tried with Jahvid Best and Mikel LeShoure but one’s skull exploded and the other’s Achilles exploded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

swift vs hunt is an interesting one.

both hold similar value as is in rbbc or in hunt situation usage in the passing game.

hunt holds high end rb1 upside if chubb goes down

swift seems more likely to get a shot at being the lead dog with kerryon inj history.

you know hunts talent vs unknown of the rookie on a trash team/rb history

Edited by colepenhagen

I probably go Swift over Hunt.  Chubb has been pretty durable, suprisingly.

On 4/29/2020 at 3:56 PM, Stonej14 said:

Is it me or are the lions screwing up the RBBC thing. Usually this path has a coach taking a couple later round guys that excel at different things and utilize those skills like the giants did for years or the packers are now or the 49ers. But to have two 2nd round RBs that are both pretty good at everything seems more wasteful than drafting 1 Elite RB in the first round At least then you have a true difference maker at the position. 

lol @ this guy. Looks like his head is melting.  :lol:

But seriously, Swift is first round talent IMO and a difference maker and Johnson is going to do a fast fade which is why the Lions made the move. He can't stay healthy and the Lions know it and are tired of mucking around with half-a** RBs. IMO this was the best RB in the draft and a bold but worthy move. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 6:23 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

that just means he’s due ;)

joking aside, I think I like hunt more at value. We know with Hunt we’re getting a startable RB2/3 with top 5 upside in case of injury. Seems to me like swift has a similar expectation of production without the lottery ticket upside. 

he could always come out and be a world-beater but not worth betting on imo. 

On 6/18/2020 at 9:23 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

I could be wrong but hasn’t Chubb only had one injury in his entire career? it was just one of the more gruesome looking injuries. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, mocha4313 said:

About Swift: what I meant was that the rushing game being inept all these years might suggest that the RB is not the problem, and that it is overall organizational failure.

And I don't see their change to the wannabe Patriots meaning good things for their rushing game fantasy wise.

I could see this year being similar to David Montgomery last season (though a bit better because I think Swift is better than Monty)

I've actually gotten more bullish about the Detroit landing spot. Montgomery is an unfair comparison. I think Miles Sanders last year might be a better one but a tick lower due to the Eagles OL being so good

I think the Lions could have a lot of use for a short range pass catcher and watching his tape has made him grow on me as a talent as well.I still don't think he is a workhorse type back but I do believe he is talented and elusive enough to be a fantasy star without it. Almost Kamara like (though not this year with Fatty P)

Wouldn't reach at all but I am more and more impressed

Edited by mocha4313

44 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

I've actually gotten more bullish about the Detroit landing spot. Montgomery is an unfair comparison. I think Miles Sanders last year might be a better one but a tick lower due to the Eagles OL being so good

I think the Lions could have a lot of use for a short range pass catcher and watching his tape has made him grow on me as a talent as well.I still don't think he is a workhorse type back but I do believe he is talented and elusive enough to be a fantasy star without it. Almost Kamara like (though not this year with Fatty P)

Wouldn't reach at all but I am more and more impressed

Don’t they have Hockenson for that, though?

23 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Don’t they have Hockenson for that, though?

Yeah and I like Hock a lot too (one of the best TE prospects I've seen) but TE has a steep learning curve. Maybe it's this year but I see his "breakout" coming in 2021 with the Lions weapons all gone besides KG and Swift

But even with Hock having a nice year (not a breakout but a productive year) I think there will be a lot of passing volume in that offense with the Fat Man who let Nick Foles drop 41 points in the Super Bowl guiding their defense

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mocha4313 said:

Yeah and I like Hock a lot too (one of the best TE prospects I've seen) but TE has a steep learning curve. Maybe it's this year but I see his "breakout" coming in 2021 with the Lions weapons all gone besides KG and Swift

But even with Hock having a nice year (not a breakout but a productive year) I think there will be a lot of passing volume in that offense with the Fat Man who let Nick Foles drop 41 points in the Super Bowl guiding their defense

Remember the Pats inexplicably sat their #1 corner the entire Super Bowl: one of the most baffling decisions I have ever seen

To get back on track, I like swift but IMO he is more of a dynasty play than redraft 

Edited by hockeyfan77

8 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Remember the Pats inexplicably sat their #1 corner the entire Super Bowl: one of the most baffling decisions I have ever seen

To get back on track, I like swift but IMO he is more of a dynasty play than redraft 

I have thought about that a lot.  I conclude that Malcolm Butler was injured and unable to run well enough to play, but Belichick hid the injury all week to keep Philly from gaining an advantage.  And afterwards, they could never admit he was hurt because that would have proved they violated league rules, for the millionth time.  And Butler has never said a word about it, either.

As for Swift, he should be able to sweep aside Kerryon Johnson even if Johnson does not get injured yet again, as seems likely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I have thought about that a lot.  I conclude that Malcolm Butler was injured and unable to run well enough to play, but Belichick hid the injury all week to keep Philly from gaining an advantage.  And afterwards, they could never admit he was hurt because that would have proved they violated league rules, for the millionth time.  And Butler has never said a word about it, either.

As for Swift, he should be able to sweep aside Kerryon Johnson even if Johnson does not get injured yet again, as seems likely.

Weird thing is he did play on special team 

Here is an article about the decision

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/02/16/one-football-reason-why-malcolm-butler-didnt-play-patriots-super-bowl-lii/

I like Smith as a talent but I just don't trust his team

• Thanks 1

A hand or shoulder injury could have allowed him to play special teams but not cornerback.

Swift is in a fine situation.  Lions are decent, not much competition for carries.  Swift will have a chance to show what he can do.