The G Man

D'Andre Swift 2020 Outlook

8 minutes ago, jujus-jujubees said:

You wish he could have gotten concussed earlier in the season? This thread is seriously off the rails. 

No.  Obviously I don't want anyone to get injured or concussed but I'm sure his owners would have preferred that it happened earlier in the season than now where it looked like he was becoming a rb1 and a lot of teams are playing trying to make the playoffs or for playoff seeding.

Edited by sjm76
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

No.  Obviously I don't want anyone to get injured or concussed but I'm sure his owners would have preferred that it happened earlier in the season than now where it looked like he was becoming a rb1 and a lot of teams are playing trying to make the playoffs or for playoff seeding.

Fine, but that's not the way you wrote it. And while this situation isn't optimal, it's a whole hell of a lot better than having him start and not finish the game because of the injury. 

Everyone in here needs to chill lol. No one wants Swift to play hurt. Owners are disappointed he is out. Let’s all just enjoy the train wreck of a Lions running game that will likely be on display.

• Like 1

It’s a bummer but I’m really counting on him for a week 14-16 playoff run more than this week. I get owners in must win mode this week are probably pretty disappointed 

Won't need any gravy on my dry turkey this Thanksgiving... my tears should do. Obviously bummed about Swift since its must win time and he's missing 2 smash spots. Hope he's 100% next week [...]

Happy Thanksgiving D’Andre Swift, looking forward to having you back and healthy when you are ready. Got a great career ahead of you and everyone in this thread who owns you is thankful for you! 

Also it should be obvious but don’t y’all think Swift is bummed too? One of the (few) joys of being a Lion is gaming for that galloping gobbler. You’ll have many more opportunities in the future young man.

• Like 1

Preface to say that this is nothing but a gut feeling here - but I'm nervous this is going to derail the rest of his season...

I don't know if concussions have varying degrees of severity or not. Or if different people recover at different rates from them or not. But I would think both. Swift had a short week to get through the protocol after the concussion occurred - we didn't hear about it until Thursday last week. It was pretty clear he was going to miss the game last Sunday. That first miss was, I think in all fairness, to be expected.

What worries me is this second miss. He's had over a full week (8 days - assuming here that he and the team and the physicians involved started the protocol upon injury and were always looking to yesterday as his target return game) to get through the league's protocol - which as I understand it is 5 steps; one per day. Pass a step today, you move on to the next step tomorrow. Fail to pass a step today, you begin again at step 1 tomorrow (this information comes from FantasyDoctors). We should assume, based on his questionable tag for yesterday, that he had made it through the steps and was looking for final clearance from an independent doctor/neurologist yesterday morning. He most likely experienced a return of symptoms yesterday morning, and was therefore not cleared.

Which brings us to today. He will begin working through the protocol again, today, as day 1. He's got a longer week this time (essentially 10 days as opposed to the 8 he had last time) to get through the steps, and go symptom free - is it enough time for him to recover?

First off, kudos to him for not lying about his symptoms - I'm sure there are, even to this day, a lot of players who do, just to get back out onto the field. Kudos to the team for not trying to cover anything up or rush him. Kudos to any other outside medical staff involved. His health and safety clearly are the top priority here. As an owner who was, just like everyone else, really looking forward to watching him play today and to reap the rewards that we hoped would be reaped - I am happy to forego my fake football team in favor of this young man's health.

But this definitely concerns me. Is he the second coming of Jahvid Best? Is he prone to being more severely affected by a concussion? Is he just naturally inclined towards a slower recovery from this than others? Will he be able to play next week? For all intents and purposes, DET's season is done. The team could use a house-cleaning in the coaching staff in my opinion - so is it unrealistic to say that the team could shut him down and just let him fully recover without trying to hurry anything? AP did much more than most of us expected yesterday, even against this defense. So maybe Swift does get back, but does DET then decide to stick with the same timeshare that they've been using most of the year to help keep Swift healthy? Certainly the team has many considerations that have absolutely nothing to do with our fantasy teams. And in fact, none of their considerations have anything to do with our fantasy teams lol.

Sorry for the long-winded post - and it may all be irrelevant over the course of this next week if he gets through the protocol and returns to the field and re-assumes an honest lead-back role. I'm definitely rooting for it, but I'm admittedly more than a little nervous here.

Edited by JAG_challam

Justin Morneau was having an All-star season in baseball in July 2012 when he got a concussion sliding into 2nd base. Missed the rest of the season. In subsequent years, I don't think he was ever the same after.

Different sports, but this just shows that the results can be long term.

2 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

MP fired. Good or bad for Swift? 

There’s no way that imbecile being fired can be a bad thing for anyone. 

Agreed. It's been obvious to 6,999,999,999 people (out of 7,000,000,000) that Swift is their best RB. This cannot be bad for Swift. He just needs to get through the concussion protocol at this point and that backfield should be HIS.

Edited by JAG_challam