The G Man

D'Andre Swift 2020 Outlook

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

And afterwards, they could never admit he was hurt because that would have proved they violated league rules, for the millionth time

Oh cmon the Pats don't cheat! That's just hater talk!! Besides, who cares about cheating any more anyway? 

As for Swift, I liken him to Jacobs last year. Kinda. Jacobs had less competition for touches, but on a better overall team. I think.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bomont said:

Oh cmon the Pats don't cheat! That's just hater talk!! Besides, who cares about cheating any more anyway? 

You read my mind!

4 hours ago, bomont said:

As for Swift, I liken him to Jacobs last year. Kinda. Jacobs had less competition for touches, but on a better overall team. I think.

Or - I know it sounds crazy but bear with for a moment - the Pats cheat repeatedly and that’s what engenders hatred?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's not like the Pats have recently been caught red-handed cheating and been penalized by the league.

That was like four whole days ago!

Swift is comprehensively better than his Detroit Lions competition.  With the possible exception of ZZ Top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Or - I know it sounds crazy but bear with for a moment - the Pats cheat repeatedly and that’s what engenders hatred?

Honestly, I think it's the 6 Super Bowls , 9 SB appearances and total domination of the league over the last 20 years, that brings most of the hate

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Honestly, I think it's the 6 Super Bowls , 9 SB appearances and total domination of the league over the last 20 years, that brings most of the hate

We can agree to disagree, hockey.

Hell, I hope Cameron talks some sense into his new coach and cheating teammates (hello Edelman!) and gets them to start playing by the rules - something their former team leader was never able to do.  Go Pats!

Edited by BMcP

I despise the Patriots. Even against the Broncos in the AFC Champ games I couldn't root for them (or the Broncos either tbf)

BUT deflating footballs and taping from spot just outside the designated taping area are not why there are this successful and it's a little ridiculous that people honestly think that

I don't doubt that they push against the limits to see what rules are strictly enforced/which are not and find inefficiencies but the rep has gone too far for my taste

Back to the Lions: I don't know why teams covet Patriots assistants so much, especially when--like in Patricia's case--his defenses weren't even good

Some poor team is unironically going to make Josh McDaniels their coach and hopefully it's a team I don't like so I can get some entertainment.

Watching him take apart a young, promising Broncos team was the highlight of the Haley/Pioli years for me besides one fluke division title and playoff blowout in 2010

Still though: from picking AJB last year in dynasty after the guy ahead of me took JJ Arcega Whiteside: talent>situation

Alvin Kamara (a guy many have a pro comp for Swift) was considered to be in a terrible situation on a Saints team that in 2017 was considered to be on the downswing with an old, cap strapped roster, a coach rumored to be on the hot seat/close to retirement/moving teams, rivals who had just been to Super Bowls (Panthers, Falcons) and a backfield with Ingram and not yet washed AP on a major contract.  The Saints are not the Lions--so the comparison isn't perfect by any means

But still:

Talking about Swift's talent (pluses and doubts) is a way more productive discussion than the Lions' dysfunction--especially considering a fresh start with a new coach and maybe even a new QB isn't too far off

13 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:
21 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Remember the Pats inexplicably sat their #1 corner the entire Super Bowl: one of the most baffling decisions I have ever seen

I have thought about that a lot.  I conclude that Malcolm Butler was injured and unable to run well enough to play, but Belichick hid the injury all week to keep Philly from gaining an advantage.  And afterwards, they could never admit he was hurt because that would have proved they violated league rules, for the millionth time.  And Butler has never said a word about it, either.

What we know for sure (because it has been confirmed from both sides):

- In the summer of 2017, the Pats signed Butler to a one year 3.91 M contract and then signed Gilmore to a 5 year/65M contract
- Butler had been ill prior to the Superbowl
- Butler missed a team meeting and had missed most of the practice before the superbowl
- Butler was upset at the start of the game as well as after the game (he said the Pats had given up on him)

Then some rumours or unconfirmed:
- Belichick said it was not a disciplinary issue
- beat writer Kevin Duffy claimed Butler had been demoted during the bye week in practice (but afterwards had played the play-offs)

My best guess because it's the simplest explanation: Belichick/Patricia wanted to execute a specific defensive plan, for which they had trained specifically, and where Butler couldn't be present due to illness. Belichick/Patricia were convinced they could execute it without Butler (it seems they already valued him lower from the start of the season) and tried to prove this throughout the game.

Belichick was possibly furious with Patricia(and/or himself) and correctly said it was a "coach's decision.

I think this scenario basically explains it without a lot of weirdness. The only remaining question is why the Pats didn't adjust during the game and played Butler anyway, but both Belichick and Patricia are quite stubborn, so it's not that weird.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

We can agree to disagree, hockey.

Hell, I hope Cameron talks some sense into his new coach and cheating teammates (hello Edelman!) and gets them to start playing by the rules - something their former team leader was never able to do.  Go Pats!

I was just playing around so no big deal, I forgot to put the :) after my post

53 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

What we know for sure (because it has been confirmed from both sides):

- In the summer of 2017, the Pats signed Butler to a one year 3.91 M contract and then signed Gilmore to a 5 year/65M contract
- Butler had been ill prior to the Superbowl
- Butler missed a team meeting and had missed most of the practice before the superbowl
- Butler was upset at the start of the game as well as after the game (he said the Pats had given up on him)

Then some rumours or unconfirmed:
- Belichick said it was not a disciplinary issue
- beat writer Kevin Duffy claimed Butler had been demoted during the bye week in practice (but afterwards had played the play-offs)

My best guess because it's the simplest explanation: Belichick/Patricia wanted to execute a specific defensive plan, for which they had trained specifically, and where Butler couldn't be present due to illness. Belichick/Patricia were convinced they could execute it without Butler (it seems they already valued him lower from the start of the season) and tried to prove this throughout the game.

Belichick was possibly furious with Patricia(and/or himself) and correctly said it was a "coach's decision.

I think this scenario basically explains it without a lot of weirdness. The only remaining question is why the Pats didn't adjust during the game and played Butler anyway, but both Belichick and Patricia are quite stubborn, so it's not that weird.

This boggles my mind, they were getting torched and didn't adjust

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Thanks 1

So did the Swift and Patriot threads get merged?? :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The New England Lions are going to surprise everyone this year.

• Haha 3

Swift=this year's best rookie RB.

Patriots benching Malcom Butler=the real explanation is not one of the explanations given in public.

14 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Every thread is a Patriots thread, just like every award show is a Kanye West award show. Either he gets an award, which pisses people off, or he doesn't get it, which pisses him off, or he doesn't get mentioned which pisses him off even more.

In either case, Swift gets snubbed.

• Like 1

Does this guy have any appeal with a healthy (For the Moment) Kerryon Johnson?

I think Kerryon presents wayyy better value looking at their rankings / ADP.

What is the appeal of drafting this guy almost 50 picks earlier than Kerryon that I'm missing?

11 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Does this guy have any appeal with a healthy (For the Moment) Kerryon Johnson?

I think Kerryon presents wayyy better value looking at their rankings / ADP.

What is the appeal of drafting this guy almost 50 picks earlier than Kerryon that I'm missing?

I think health is the reason for Detroit taking Swift when they did. Johnson has been unable to stay consistently healthy in his short career. Two knee injuries in the NFL, two shoulder injuries at Auburn, and hammies tossed in all around. Swift is viewed as the more talented back for a staff that's on the hot seat. Swift has the potential to have a 2019 Miles Sanders type explosion if Johnson goes down or just isn't as good as Swift. Detroit has weapons across the field, so they should move the ball pretty efficiently, barring injuries. 

I think it's widely considered that Swift will eventually wrest the job from Johnson this year. Combined with KJ's injury-prone nature to this point in his career and his 3.5 ypc last year, the feeling is that Swift will dominate the touches. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but I believe Swift is generally thought to be the stronger and faster of the two and the better RB overall. 

• Like 2

Kerryon is already banged up.  Do you think the Lions would start Swift in week 1 if Kerryon is out or would it be Bo Scarbrough?

Lions beat writer Tim Twentyman said "it's expected" that rookie RB D'Andre Swift and Kerryon Johnson "will share the backfield in a running-back-by-committee approach."

• A split Detroit backfield isn't entirely unexpected, of course. Both backs excel in the pass game, and either guy would be valuable if the other missed time this season. Johnson, who was spotted this week wearing a knee brace, has missed 14 games in his first two years in the league. He was listed as a full participant in the Lions' Thursday practice. Swift seems most likely to be the "1A" back, and is correctly being drafted first.  

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: detroitlions.com
    Aug 20, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

•  

20 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Lions beat writer Tim Twentyman said "it's expected" that rookie RB D'Andre Swift and Kerryon Johnson "will share the backfield in a running-back-by-committee approach."

• A split Detroit backfield isn't entirely unexpected, of course. Both backs excel in the pass game, and either guy would be valuable if the other missed time this season. Johnson, who was spotted this week wearing a knee brace, has missed 14 games in his first two years in the league. He was listed as a full participant in the Lions' Thursday practice. Swift seems most likely to be the "1A" back, and is correctly being drafted first.  

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: detroitlions.com
    Aug 20, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

•  

I don't expect the committee to last more than the first quarter of the season.  Swift should quickly separate himself from Johnson either because Johnson gets injured or just based on his ability alone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sjm76 said:

Kerryon is already banged up.  Do you think the Lions would start Swift in week 1 if Kerryon is out or would it be Bo Scarbrough?

i dont think he's banged up but he has a brace now and they are already managing his reps 

either way good for swift 

Swift banged up. No update. Probably because their fat idiot coach thinks tight lips makes him a good coach like his mentor.

I wish they would just redshirt Swift until this idiot is fired.

When valuing him it's probably best to write off the first month of the season. For most that puts his current ADP in a spot that's not worth the risk. In dynasty though? Go for it.