The G Man

D'Andre Swift 2020 Outlook

56 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

It’s one thing to be stupid. Another thing to play a fossil in front of two talented RBs that you’ve invested significant draft capital in. 

These two do absolutely overlap and they’re both right in Patricia’s wheelhouse

• Like 1

Please just rest up n come back by week 4 And take the league over like AK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

It’s one thing to be stupid. Another thing to play a fossil in front of two talented RBs that you’ve invested significant draft capital in. Swift working his way back from injury, Scarborough is injured, and Johnson is injury prone and rocking a knee brace the size of Texas. This signing was just insurance. Maybe he has a role for the first couple of weeks while Swift ramps up, but not beyond that. 

lmfao knee brace the size of Texas had my dying! Good one

Looks like our boy returned to a full practice today. No injury designation heading into week 1. Going to be unstartable for the first few weeks, but should take over before long. Really excited to see how this season unfolds for him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

Looks like our boy returned to a full practice today. No injury designation heading into week 1. Going to be unstartable for the first few weeks, but should take over before long. Really excited to see how this season unfolds for him. 

Unstartable? He's got no injury designation (managing workload leading up to season?) And his competition for carries is a guy that is a change of pace back (Johnson) who needs a light workload, and a guy signed a week ago (AD) who doesn't know the playbook yet... Their star WR (Galloday) is out too... Obviously this depends on the depth of your league but you shouldn't be shy about firing him up IMO.

14 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Unstartable? He's got no injury designation (managing workload leading up to season?) And his competition for carries is a guy that is a change of pace back (Johnson) who needs a light workload, and a guy signed a week ago (AD) who doesn't know the playbook yet... Their star WR (Galloday) is out too... Obviously this depends on the depth of your league but you shouldn't be shy about firing him up IMO.

AP is going to be used on early downs in pretty straightforward play calls. He is definitely going to be used. All 3 are unstartable this week due to lack of clarity on their snap counts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

AP is going to be used on early downs in pretty straightforward play calls. He is definitely going to be used. All 3 are unstartable this week due to lack of clarity on their snap counts.

Lmao do you listen to yourself? You said unstartable due to unclarity of snap counts right after stating APs usage as a matter of fact. What?

Just now, StevieStats said:

Lmao do you listen to yourself? You said unstartable due to unclarity of snap counts right after stating APs usage as a matter of fact. What?

I’m saying HOW AP is going to be used. I didn’t state he would be on the field for 60% of the snap counts because Johnson will be used on early down runs as well. And obviously game script decides if they stick with the downhill power run game or abandon it. There is absolutely no clarity currently on how much each RB will be on the field. 

Just now, TwoCan Sam said:

I’m saying HOW AP is going to be used. I didn’t state he would be on the field for 60% of the snap counts because Johnson will be used on early down runs as well. And obviously game script decides if they stick with the downhill power run game or abandon it. There is absolutely no clarity currently on how much each RB will be on the field. 

How do you know this? Do you have a source?

Just now, StevieStats said:

How do you know this? Do you have a source?

Because no one signs AP to be involved in the passing game. He is a proven commodity on early/GL/short yardage downs used to supplement the other back on their roster who is involved on early down running plays. Johnson has recent injury concerns therefore they will want to preserve him so he will not breakdown immediately. Swift missed a ton of training camp and practice due to injury therefore they will ease him back until he proves he can handle more work.

4 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

Because no one signs AP to be involved in the passing game. He is a proven commodity on early/GL/short yardage downs used to supplement the other back on their roster who is involved on early down running plays. Johnson has recent injury concerns therefore they will want to preserve him so he will not breakdown immediately. Swift missed a ton of training camp and practice due to injury therefore they will ease him back until he proves he can handle more work.

I get that opinion looking long term, but he's been on the team 1 week and doesn't even knowthe playbook.

So did you have any source for his week 1 usage you were stating?

Edited by StevieStats

6 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I get that opinion looking term, but he's been on the team 1 week and doesn't even knowthe playbook.

As I mentioned previously no one can predict the snap counts for week 1. In a neutral game script I would expect to see all 3 RBs involved in some fashion. Therefore like Patriots RBs it’s very hard to dictate output so that’s why I stated Lions RBs were unstartable this week.

Edited by TwoCan Sam

8 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I get that opinion looking long term, but he's been on the team 1 week and doesn't even knowthe playbook.

Doesn't know the playbook?  You mean he doesn't know how to run a dive or draw after being a premiere back in the league 10 years? 😆

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

You’re delusional if you think Swift isn’t a super risky start. Only those in deep leagues with weak options should consider him. He’s been banged up, and  it was already an unknown how touches between him and KJ would be split, then they add AP to the mix 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, owenmills said:

You’re delusional if you think Swift isn’t a super risky start. Only those in deep leagues with weak options should consider him. He’s been banged up, and  it was already an unknown how touches between him and KJ would be split, then they add AP to the mix 

Strawman... At what point did i say low risk? I said he's certainly an option depending depth of league.

57 minutes ago, owenmills said:

KJ, I think, actually is startable.  As startable as he will be at any point this year.

If i had to bet my life on a distribution of carries, I'd probably go with 60/20/20 KJ/AP/Swift.

All the grumblings from the coaching staff the past couple weeks sound very critical of the time missed by Swift because of his injury.  Lots of "we'll see"s and "missing valuable time" type stuff.  He's a rookie.

AP is a vet.  I don't think they'll hesitate to use him in rushing situations, even though he just got there.

But overall I expect they'll lean on KJ, who's a very good running back when he's not hurt.

Swift will be worked in eventually, maybe take over primary duties at some point, but no way can he be started this week.

• Like 2

Swift is going to eat this Sunday. His practice absences were precautionary due to Kerryon and Scarbrough’s injuries. AP was signed because after Scarbrough was IR’d, they had no other RBs. Swift will be featured in the passing game and share early down work.

10 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Swift is going to eat this Sunday. His practice absences were precautionary due to Kerryon and Scarbrough’s injuries. AP was signed because after Scarbrough was IR’d, they had no other RBs. Swift will be featured in the passing game and share early down work.

I don’t believe a team holds a rookie that has no summer, partial camp, and no preseason out of practice because it’s worried about him getting hurt. A rookie needs all the work and practice he can get. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t believe a team holds a rookie that has no summer, partial camp, and no preseason out of practice because you’re worried about him getting hurt. A rookie needs all the work and practice he can get. 

This. Patricia even commented on how Swift was behind due to the lack of practice time. 

1 hour ago, TwoCan Sam said:

This. Patricia even commented on how Swift was behind due to the lack of practice time. 

You mean the guy that learned everything from Belichick and not letting your opponents know any information? Oh yeah I'm sure he's 100% honest and letting everyone know the plan.

18 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

You mean the guy that learned everything from Belichick and not letting your opponents know any information? Oh yeah I'm sure he's 100% honest and letting everyone know the plan.

If a rookie isn’t practicing for an extended time and has yet to play an NFL snap due to no preseason games I don’t think there’s much “smoke screening” going on with Patricia’s comments regarding his status 

I'm a Lions slappy, and I drafted Swift and KJ as my 4th and 5th RB's in an 8 man just for fun.  Seasoned Lions fans expect worst case scenarios every season, so I entirely expect injury to lead to less of a timeshare as the season progresses.  Assuming good health for all RB's, I would expect Swift to get the bulk of the carries eventually this year.  He has the youth/talent combo the other guys don't.  Regardless, I'm holding them on my bench until we get an idea of how this all shakes out.  I personally wouldn't start any Lions RB against the Bears.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TwoCan Sam said:

If a rookie isn’t practicing for an extended time and has yet to play an NFL snap due to no preseason games I don’t think there’s much “smoke screening” going on with Patricia’s comments regarding his status 

He was out 2 weeks at the end of camp... And he's off the injury report for the game... I wouldn't call that an extended absence... If he played the 1st 2 preseason games then missed the 3rd and 4th but was off the injury report for week 1 I doubt people would be calling him unstartable.

I get the caution, as there should be... But he's certainly an option... And no one has presented any sources for snaps only their own assumptions. Making roster decisions based off forum speculation isn't a great recipe for success.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

He was out 2 weeks at the end of camp... And he's off the injury report for the game... I wouldn't call that an extended absence... If he played the 1st 2 preseason games then missed the 3rd and 4th but was off the injury report for week 1 I doubt people would be calling him unstartable.

I get the caution, as there should be... But he's certainly an option... And no one has presented any sources for snaps only their own assumptions. Making roster decisions based off forum speculation isn't a great recipe for success.

Just read the coaches' take on him.

If you want to start him feel free, but I'd advise much caution