The G Man

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

Keep an eye on this guy in your fantasy drafts this year, especially rookie/dynasty keeper leagues. He's part of a growing trend ala Deebo Samuel/Curtis Samuel.

antonio_gibson.jpg

The Athletic's Grant Paulsen reports the Redskins want to run more 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end) with rookie Antonio Gibson and Derrius Guice or Adrian Peterson on the field at the same time.

Redskins declared Gibson as a wide receiver at No. 66 but he'll assuredly transition from Memphis as a multi-purpose weapon. Arguably the most efficient player in the nation (15.6 yards per touch) last year, Gibson led all FBS receivers and running backs in yards after contact per attempt (8.0), mounting an otherworldly 33 broken tackles on 71 touches with the Tigers. Given Washington's lack of offensive weapons, there's clearly more than enough room for Gibson to line up either out wide or in the slot while Guice and Peterson stay glued to the backfield. New Redskins OC Scott Turner previously experimented by giving Curtis Samuel nine carries over Carolina's last four games in 2019, likely envisioning Gibson in a similar role this upcoming year.

Apr 25, 2020, 8:23 AM ET

Could turn into a solid WR2 option in their passing game. 

If he remains at a double-digit ADP, he's probably the only part of this offense other than McLaurin I'd want any part of. Guice is a health risk with every step, and Peterson (praise be to the HOFer) is not going to carry the load. If he can crank out a pass-catching role and spend time lined as a WR, he could have sneaky-good upside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Redskins coach Ron Rivera said RB/WR Antonio Gibson has "a skill set like Christian (McCaffrey)."

"He's a little bit bigger than Christian, but he's got a skill set like Christian," said Rivera, who obviously coached McCaffrey for two seasons. "This is a very versatile, young football player that we really think is going to be a guy that can get on the field for us early and contribute." Gibson was designated as a wide receiver when selected with the No. 66 overall pick but has since been discussed as a running back who will align all over (including in the slot and out wide) Washington's formation. Arguably the most efficient player in the nation (15.6 yards per touch) last year, it sounds as if the team's coaching staff is completely on board in utilizing Gibson's versatility after he led all FBS skill players in yards after contact per attempt (8.0) with the Tigers last year.

•  
    SOURCE: ESPN.com
    May 5, 2020, 8:55 AM ET

•  

Was just gonna post that. Coach speak aside, if he retains WR eligibility and decent ADP I'm on board

Posted (edited)

I’m all in - Gibson was one of my pre-draft favorites.  And - weird as it is to write - he found an excellent landing spot in DC with Rivera and Turner in town, and virtually no competition to deal with anywhere on the roster for touches and targets.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I’m all in - Gibson was one of my pre-draft favorites.  And - weird as it is to write - he found an excellent landing spot in DC with Rivera and Turner in town, and virtually no competition to deal with anywhere on the roster for touches and targets.

Mclaurin, Sims, guice, Peterson, love, Thaddeus moss.

Might be a few guys fighting for touches and targets.

The CMC comparison was funny. Hopefully fantasy players don't buy that. It's the volume that makes CMC so deadly. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Mclaurin, Sims, guice, Peterson, love, Thaddeus moss.

Might be a few guys fighting for touches and targets.

The CMC comparison was funny. Hopefully fantasy players don't buy that. It's the volume that makes CMC so deadly. 

It’s the “volume,” eh?  Gotcha.

Strange comment coming from you, of all people.

Edited by BMcP

19 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It’s the “volume,” eh?  Gotcha.

Strange comment coming from you, of all people.

Not sure what's so strange about it.

It's no knock on the young man, he has a nice skill set. I was referring to the CMC comp. CMC is special and elite due to his every down useage. I said I hope fantasy players don't have those type of expectations when those kinds of comps are thrown out. 

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Not sure what's so strange about it.

It's no knock on the young man, he has a nice skill set. I was referring to the CMC comp. CMC is special and elite due to his every down useage. I said I hope fantasy players don't have those type of expectations when those kinds of comps are thrown out. 

What’s strange is it is most certainly not just CMC’s “volume” that makes him deadly - he’s amazingly talented and athletically gifted, has honed his craft and developed his technique at an almost unprecedented pace - and receives volume.

You’d have an easier time arguing that your boy Derrick Henry is special on account of his volume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

What’s strange is it is most certainly not just CMC’s “volume” that makes him deadly - he’s amazingly talented and athletically gifted, has honed his craft and developed his technique at an almost unprecedented pace - and receives volume.

You’d have an easier time arguing that your boy Derrick Henry is special on account of his volume.

Thankfully we are all entitled to our opinion.

Gibson won't be CMC for fantasy so hopefully people don't get it twisted.

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Thankfully we are all entitled to our opinion.

Gibson won't be CMC for fantasy so hopefully people don't get it twisted.

If people out there are confusing Gibson with CMC, they need to pick a different pastime.

Just grabbed him at 3.01 in my dynasty rookie draft. Redskins must be pretty high on him to make him their 2nd pick in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Just grabbed him at 3.01 in my dynasty rookie draft. Redskins must be pretty high on him to make him their 2nd pick in the draft.

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-draft-antonio-gibson-offensive-weapon-2020-nfl-draft

If that doesn’t excite you about his future prospects in the league, I’m not sure what will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BMcP said:

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-draft-antonio-gibson-offensive-weapon-2020-nfl-draft

If that doesn’t excite you about his future prospects in the league, I’m not sure what will.

We're still talking about Washington. 

The Pats or Chiefs having an army knife scares me. Washington having an army knife makes me think of when I bought my first one as a kid and cut myself within the first 2 minutes of owning it.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

We're still talking about Washington. 

The Pats or Chiefs having an army knife scares me. Washington having an army knife makes me think of when I bought my first one as a kid and cut myself within the first 2 minutes of owning it.

I LOL'd.

That said, the safety valve for a young QB who doesn't have a whole lot of receivers outside of Scary Terry could work in fantasy, even if TDs are...limited.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I LOL'd.

That said, the safety valve for a young QB who doesn't have a whole lot of receivers outside of Scary Terry could work in fantasy, even if TDs are...limited.

I agree, that's why Steven Sims jr should have a good sophomore campaign

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I agree, that's why Steven Sims jr should have a good sophomore campaign

Sure why not man, shoot your shot.  This offense is basically a blank canvass.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Once the public starts seeing this guys tape he’ll be jumping up dynasty rookie draft boards. His talent is electric - another major juxtaposition to KeShawn Vaughn’s uninspiring tape. I think Gibson will work his way ahead of Vaughn over the course of the summer in drafts because of his insane upside

Edited by LostAtSea
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, LostAtSea said:

Once the public starts seeing this guys tape he’ll be jumping up dynasty rookie draft boards. His talent is electric - another major juxtaposition to KeShawn Vaughn’s uninspiring tape. I think Gibson will work his way ahead of Vaughn over the course of the summer in drafts because of his insane upside

i agree entirely with the principle of your post: gibson's electricity is leagues ahead of vaughn. for me, it's not close. 

but the mitigating factor is landing spot: vaughn walks into a well-balanced team with an improved offensive line. gibson walks into a questionable offensive line, unproven QB, and the largest backfield in the NFL. 

SecondQuestionableBream-size_restricted. 

23 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Was just gonna post that. Coach speak aside, if he retains WR eligibility and decent ADP I'm on board

That's a great point IMO. 

There’s no chance he would lose his “WR” eligibility after the ‘Skins declared him as such.  Anyone using the platform would revolt.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

i agree entirely with the principle of your post: gibson's electricity is leagues ahead of vaughn. for me, it's not close. 

but the mitigating factor is landing spot: vaughn walks into a well-balanced team with an improved offensive line. gibson walks into a questionable offensive line, unproven QB, and the largest backfield in the NFL. 

SecondQuestionableBream-size_restricted. 

WAS’s O-Line was about average last year in terms of Adjusted Line Yards - almost exactly on par with the line CMC worked with last season.

Why would you want him to walk into a well-balanced offense for fantasy purposes?

They aren’t going to keep all those RBs.

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, LostAtSea said:

In what way is Keshawn Vaughn's tape uninspiring? Do you realize that he was playing behind the 128th PFF graded offensive line in college football out of 130 qualifiers? Memphis' O-Line was 25th in the country, I wonder what his tape would have looked like with an O-line of that caliber?

Edited by paulwall29
  • Haha 1