The G Man

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

There are four camps:

1. Camp one: the over the top camp who see nothing but gold and will likely drop by week 3 when they've yet to become rich.
  2. Camp two: the skeptics who see nothing but a mirage. They will miss completely if things do pan out and then deny any positive outcome to the bitter end because they're heavily invested in 'no'. They'll never be able to admit that to themselves because of the ego.
  3. Camp three: those who bought in early as a free flier because they see the potential, they understand the circumstances point to having to wait multiple weeks for a payoff and they are waiting multiple weeks for that payoff because that's the plan and they follow plans... Because, you know, they like to win things.
  4. Camp four: those who are on the fence and might take a dip later if the opportunity presents itself.

These are the camps in here for all players, really. It just gets amplified for players who haven't broken out but have something exciting about them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cgu112 said:

nope. It was a legit guess. Was pretty easy. Recent rookie rb with a ton of catches that took a few games to get going.  I assume you looked it up to confirm it was right. 

well. I did take a screenshot

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

There are four camps:

1. Camp one: the over the top camp who see nothing but gold and will likely drop by week 3 when they've yet to become rich.
  2. Camp two: the skeptics who see nothing but a mirage. They will miss completely if things do pan out and then deny any positive outcome to the bitter end because they're heavily invested in 'no'. They'll never be able to admit that to themselves because of the ego.
  3. Camp three: those who bought in early as a free flier because they see the potential, they understand the circumstances point to having to wait multiple weeks for a payoff and they are waiting multiple weeks for that payoff because that's the plan and they follow plans... Because, you know, they like to win things.
  4. Camp four: those who are on the fence and might take a dip later if the opportunity presents itself.

These are the camps in here for all players, really. It just gets amplified for players who haven't broken out but have something exciting about them.

Yep. And what’s funny to me is how entrenched people get, even when evidence goes against them. No matter what camp they are in. And I put myself in that bucket. I have to really guard against confirmation and recency bias in FF.

Whether to roster Gibson really depends on league and roster size. But given that Love was a healthy scratch, it seems that Gibson has a path to carve out an important role on the team. And it’s not like they have a bunch of offensive studs ahead of him, save McLaurin. If a team is depending on him to start, that team likely has bigger issues. But it’s not hard to see him have flex value on a consistent basis if they get him more touches.

I’m solidly in camp 3. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butters said:

Yep. And what’s funny to me is how entrenched people get, even when evidence goes against them. No matter what camp they are in. And I put myself in that bucket. I have to really guard against confirmation and recency bias in FF.

Whether to roster Gibson really depends on league and roster size. But given that Love was a healthy scratch, it seems that Gibson has a path to carve out an important role on the team. And it’s not like they have a bunch of offensive studs ahead of him, save McLaurin. If a team is depending on him to start, that team likely has bigger issues. But it’s not hard to see him have flex value on a consistent basis if they get him more touches.

I’m solidly in camp 3. 

Me too. I have little to lose if he bombs and he's a player I would not have bought in late August because the risk was too high due to the hype. 

I think he had a very solid first week. I think he got out without damaging his standing. My view is this was essentially a pre-season game for him and this first month is like a camp battle for the other 12 games. He performed pretty good in the first game and if his touches go up in week two that's a very good sign.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spyplane said:

There are four camps:

On gameday, being a camp 1 meatball fan is truly the only way to live. The morning after, I'll hike the walk of shame back to camp 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

well. I did take a screenshot

Lmao. You were op. Didnt realize. It was a good post/ potential analogy. Sorry to blow your cover. 

• Haha 1

Definitely in camp 3. Not sure what the Camp 2 folks are doing when they come itt, other than to troll. Camp 1 won’t return if he bombs. Camp 2 won’t return if he succeeds. Camps 3 and 4 will be here throughout the duration as long as we own him, fail or succeed. 

Which camp drafted in the last month and greatly overpayed for him? I don't think many people had negative things to say when he was a cheap flier. The people you're putting in camp 2 simply offered an alternative view to the hype that spiraled out of control after AP was cut. It's kind of disingenuous to talk him up nonstop then when he underperforms say 'well I got him for peanuts 3 months ago, it doesn't matter that much to me if he doesn't pan out'. 

6 hours ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

Why do people keep saying this?

Is it the fact that he was out touched and out snapped by Barber at a near 2:1 margin?

Is it because of his mediocre at best college career?

Is it because his lack of running strength means he will never be the goal line back on this team?

Or is it because in what might have been Washington’s best game of the year he totalled a measly 6.40 PPR points?

Sorry folks.  This is what nothing special looks like.  

I know you’re just trolling, but I’ll answer. 

I’m not worried about snap count. That will increase if he is who the staff believes he is. 

His college career wasn’t mediocre. He lacked touches, but put up nice numbers on the touches he did have. 

He’s 6’1” 228, so I doubt he’s as weak as you believe. It’s a knock I’ve read on these forums but haven’t seen anywhere else  

This next one makes no sense to me because Washington playing catch-up benefits Gibson, imho. Perhaps you can explain why you think it hurts Gibson to jave his team playing from behind?

Sorry folks, this is what overreacting to week one looks like. He’s solidly on my bench with deep enough benches to wait and see what happens. So rather than overreact to the first week, I’d prefer to see how things shake out over the course of the season. 

Now if you want to have a reasonable discussion, I’m cool with that. If you just want to be snarky and flame and troll, then you can carry on by yourself. 

15 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I know you’re just trolling, but I’ll answer. 

I’m not worried about snap count. That will increase if he is who the staff believes he is. 

His college career wasn’t mediocre. He lacked touches, but put up nice numbers on the touches he did have. 

He’s 6’1” 228, so I doubt he’s as weak as you believe. It’s a knock I’ve read on these forums but haven’t seen anywhere else  

This next one makes no sense to me because Washington playing catch-up benefits Gibson, imho. Perhaps you can explain why you think it hurts Gibson to jave his team playing from behind?

Sorry folks, this is what overreacting to week one looks like. He’s solidly on my bench with deep enough benches to wait and see what happens. So rather than overreact to the first week, I’d prefer to see how things shake out over the course of the season. 

Now if you want to have a reasonable discussion, I’m cool with that. If you just want to be snarky and flame and troll, then you can carry on by yourself. 

Thanks Dad!  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Which camp drafted in the last month and greatly overpayed for him? I don't think many people had negative things to say when he was a cheap flier. The people you're putting in camp 2 simply offered an alternative view to the hype that spiraled out of control after AP was cut. It's kind of disingenuous to talk him up nonstop then when he underperforms say 'well I got him for peanuts 3 months ago, it doesn't matter that much to me if he doesn't pan out'. 

When the opportunity arose for more PT, I think it was natural to discuss the positives and how Gibson might benefit. And I think it’s natural to “dream” about what could be. There are those who take it too far, just like in any player thread. But I don’t think it’s disingenuous for me and many others to say that I hope he works out but if he doesn’t, oh well. That was the approach I took from the moment he became a part of my team. And I don’t necessarily agree that he underperformed...he averaged 4 ypc. The volume wasn’t there, but I didn’t really have a volume expectation. Tbh, I thought 10-12 would be a good start in week one. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

Thanks Dad!  

And thank you for the confirmation I was looking for. 

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

When the opportunity arose for more PT, I think it was natural to discuss the positives and how Gibson might benefit. And I think it’s natural to “dream” about what could be. There are those who take it too far, just like in any player thread. But I don’t think it’s disingenuous for me and many others to say that I hope he works out but if he doesn’t, oh well. That was the approach I took from the moment he became a part of my team. And I don’t necessarily agree that he underperformed...he averaged 4 ypc. The volume wasn’t there, but I didn’t really have a volume expectation. Tbh, I thought 10-12 would be a good start in week one. 

I didn't quote you when I said that, and it wasn't really directed at you. By and large I thought your takes were pretty reasonable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

I didn't quote you when I said that, and it wasn't really directed at you. By and large I thought your takes were pretty reasonable. 

I understand and appreciate that. Wasn’t trying to horn in :D...just adding my perspective. Lol. I absolutely do agree that people have carried things too far with him and the preseason overreactions. 

5 hours ago, Butters said:

I’m solidly in camp 3. 

• I like the CBS value chart to help keep me grounded on the "true" value of a player. A bit of a lagging indicator, but it balances nicely my risky personality.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Who is this directed at? Is me? I don't know, I posted about the four camps but it's unclear in your post who this was for.

In one of my leagues, I don't think he will amount to much. Some dum dum drafted him in the late rounds. HAR HAR! I planned to take him but I'm glad I didn't. It is clear that Barber is the superior back and they will likely roll with him. Rookies like him rarely pan out and the hype was outta control. Gibson won't be a factor until next year, MAYBE. Avoid Avoid Avoid.

In my other league I managed to grab Gibson very late. I think he has a chance to steal some carries and carve out a role for himself. I'm happy to have him at the end of my bench and I have already had an offer thrown my way. I'm not sold on Barber as the long term answer and would like to see how the next couple of weeks play out. It's a matter of jumping on an asset before it catches fire for pennies on the dollar. I think Gibson can be a factor early if he takes advantage of his limited opprotunties. One injury to Barber and I might have something here. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

In one of my leagues, I don't think he will amount to much. Some dum dum drafted him in the late rounds. HAR HAR! I planned to take him but I'm glad I didn't. It is clear that Barber is the superior back and they will likely roll with him. Rookies like him rarely pan out and the hype was outta control. Gibson won't be a factor until next year, MAYBE. Avoid Avoid Avoid.

In my other league I managed to grab Gibson very late. I think he has a chance to steal some carries and carve out a role for himself. I'm happy to have him at the end of my bench and I have already had an offer thrown my way. I'm not sold on Barber as the long term answer and would like to see how the next couple of weeks play out. It's a matter of jumping on an asset before it catches fire for pennies on the dollar. I think Gibson can be a factor early if he takes advantage of his limited opprotunties. One injury to Barber and I might have something here. 

You just officially exploded my brain.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Barber, the superior back?

Christian Bale GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

This thread is boring right now but it’s gonna be the first to hit 100 this year. 

and by boring, I mean, we played one damn game and the Peyton Barber truthers are out now trying poo poo on parades. Is Peyton over 6 foot with great speed, hands and vision?  Yeah. He is not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FWIW I am aggressively attempting to buy low. Hard when many overpaid and want a equal return on their investment. You overpaid for Gibson if you need him to start for you this weekend..

Need a couple weeks of slow improvement with negative TD regression for managers to bore of Gibson, brand him a loser, and allow me to pry him away.

Patience. Long season and we want touches, yards and TD's from him in Dec not in Sept.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

This thread is boring right now but it’s gonna be the first to hit 100 this year. 

and by boring, I mean, we played one damn game and the Peyton Barber truthers are out now trying poo poo on parades. Is Peyton over 6 foot with great speed, hands and vision?  Yeah. He is not. 

Peyton Barber truthers is a good one.

38 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

He’s not, but I figure he’s going to be a problem for Gibson owners for a while.