The G Man

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

It's funny how the dissenters are quiet right now, especially the guys that pointed to snap count and Barber's week one involvement. But if he lays another dud or the snap count is more even next week, they'll be back. 

ETA...I posted in the Barber thread, but looking at Barber's one snap...was he injured on that one snap Sunday? Or is this a case of the coaching staff favoring Gibson and McKissic? 

I never heard about an injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I traded him for Hunt and kinda regret it tbh. Won't be surprised if he's an rb1 by mid season in PPR. Receptions have to be coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Any other CMC, Saquon or Mostert owners nervously throwing him out there for the first time this week? I may even play both him and Kelley ahead of DJ (@PIT).

 

CMC, Saquon, AJ Brown owner here. Going in with a combination of Gaskin and Gibson for the next 5+ weeks. Hopefully nobody spent as much as I did on Davis, so I have at least 3 RBs.

Dark days, my friend. Dark days!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, thebadferret said:

 

CMC, Saquon, AJ Brown owner here. Going in with a combination of Gaskin and Gibson for the next 5+ weeks. Hopefully nobody spent as much as I did on Davis, so I have at least 3 RBs.

Dark days, my friend. Dark days!

Indeed. Did you go Davis over Freeman? I actually went with Freeman over Davis despite having CMC - I don't think I want to start Davis vs. LAC this week anyway, and I think there's a chance CMC may return in 3-4 weeks vs. 6 weeks, making Davis's usefulness potentially as short as for 2-3 starts.

Edited by Vendetta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, scheibler said:

I traded him for Hunt and kinda regret it tbh. Won't be surprised if he's an rb1 by mid season in PPR. Receptions have to be coming

 

Hmm...Hunt has league winning upside with the same floor. I wouldn't be too bummed lol. Haskins is going to hold this offense back. Gibson needs 15-20 touches weekly which will be nice with his ability but it's a long game with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

 

It's funny how the dissenters are quiet right now, especially the guys that pointed to snap count and Barber's week one involvement. But if he lays another dud or the snap count is more even next week, they'll be back. 

ETA...I posted in the Barber thread, but looking at Barber's one snap...was he injured on that one snap Sunday? Or is this a case of the coaching staff favoring Gibson and McKissic? 

It's a SWAG on my part but I think the WFT coaches are giving their top 3 backs all some touches as a proof of concept of their offensive playbook in various personnel configurations. Barber got some run with Gibson in week 1, in week 2 it was McKissic's turn to have a go at it.  Don't underestimate the later since he's been pigeonholed into a 3rd down/ passing back to which he doesn't completely fit the profile (not great speed nor particularly shifty to be a great route runner nor make the first defender miss) and thus he seemed to get auditioned for a more pure runner role in Week 2 where he did reasonably well (8/53, 6.6 YPC).  Given the loss of Brandon Scherf on the OL and that Barber and McKissic have more experience at providing pass protection and are better at it at this early stage of Gibson's career, that's another consideration for usage going forward. 

Given the poor play of the WFT to begin with, I can see a very large range of possibilities. I guess on the pure upside that he could have 1st year Doug Martin type numbers after a slow start.  Bottom of the range, I can see them moving Gibson outside more often on the other side of McLauren and they struggle to find the "right" role with him like the Rams struggled with Tayvon Austin a few years ago.  Perhaps middle course it's a RB situation like the Colts a few years ago with Gibson playing the Ahmad Bradshaw role with Barber/McKissic playing the post trade T-Rich "starting RB" where the later suck up a ton of touches while generally sucking at it. In the Bradshaw scenario it would still leaving Gibson as a super solid FLEX who gave RB2 level play quite a few weeks with a RB1 level gem or two game sprinkled in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

Time for them to feed Gibson if they want to have any chance of going 2-1 right?


Depends on how ready he is. As excited as I am about his potential, we all have to remember he’s very raw as a RB. It might be too early to feed him more than they have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 2:14 AM, Flyman75 said:

 

Thanks for posting. I'm very hopeful for Gibson as this season progresses. It just all depends on his ability to handle a RB load in the NFL. 

 

He's a lot bigger than I realised he was (based on his collegiate skillset and athletic measurables).

He absolutely passes the eye-test, to the point where I've seeked him out in trades in leagues where I've lost RB's (a lot of them) and don't own him already (not many of them).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

feel like he is two weeks away from being unleashed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This dude is 6'2.  He is missing tackles.  He is making some crafty moves to miss those tackles.  He has hands.  We have yet to see those hands...but have you seen him run like a damn man last week?  I don't know if it is going to take much more time before this guy is doing more damage.  He is not raw.  He is a damn man out there balling.  Absolutely love to see it. 

I also get the sense that this might be a perfect situation and environment for Mr. Gibson to be a grade a baller.  I think this o-line is going to hold up to be good enough.  New coach.  New identity.  New starting QB on day 1. The WFT is trending positively in my eyes....except for the executive suite...but whatever. 

I think that people are going to lose their opportunity to buy into AG after this week.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

This dude is 6'2.  He is missing tackles.  He is making some crafty moves to miss those tackles.  He has hands.  We have yet to see those hands...but have you seen him run like a damn man last week?  I don't know if it is going to take much more time before this guy is doing more damage.  He is not raw.  He is a damn man out there balling.  Absolutely love to see it. 

I also get the sense that this might be a perfect situation and environment for Mr. Gibson to be a grade a baller.  I think this o-line is going to hold up to be good enough.  New coach.  New identity.  New starting QB on day 1. The WFT is trending positively in my eyes....except for the executive suite...but whatever. 

I think that people are going to lose their opportunity to buy into AG after this week.  

 


I’m enthusiastic about him, but he is raw as a RB. He just doesn’t have the carries in his college career to be anything but raw, granted he’s looking good. But, he’s not a well-rounded NFL RB at this point. I’m confident he’ll get there, however. 

But to Antonio...prove me wrong, big boy! Lol. I love this kid long term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:


I’m enthusiastic about him, but he is raw as a RB. He just doesn’t have the carries in his college career to be anything but raw, granted he’s looking good. But, he’s not a well-rounded NFL RB at this point. I’m confident he’ll get there, however. 

But to Antonio...prove me wrong, big boy! Lol. I love this kid long term. 

 

I feel like kids coming out of college these days in the RB position are polished and polishing up on the field.  Not sure how the amount of carries he had in college means that he needs more work.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

 

I feel like kids coming out of college these days in the RB position are polished and polishing up on the field.  Not sure how the amount of carries he had in college means that he needs more work.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  

 

He means learning things like pass protection, how to take care of himself with a large number of carries, proving he can run between the tackles, punch it in at the goal line against stacked fronts and maintain ball security doing so. 

 

I think he could be just fine as a gadget type player in space as a flex play for fantasy, but if we want him to be a maximum value RB, he needs the carries. To get the carries, he has plenty to learn. He's not only a rookie, he's an inexperienced running back. 

 

All that said I'm a big believer and love watching him make plays. I think his breakout is coming soon enough and he'll be able to be a huge asset on my dynasty team for years to come. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

 

He means learning things like pass protection, how to take care of himself with a large number of carries, proving he can run between the tackles, punch it in at the goal line against stacked fronts and maintain ball security doing so. 

 

I think he could be just fine as a gadget type player in space as a flex play for fantasy, but if we want him to be a maximum value RB, he needs the carries. To get the carries, he has plenty to learn. He's not only a rookie, he's an inexperienced running back. 

 

All that said I'm a big believer and love watching him make plays. I think his breakout is coming soon enough and he'll be able to be a huge asset on my dynasty team for years to come. 

 

I know what he means.  I have not seen anything that makes me think he isn't well rounded and doing his job.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

 

I know what he means.  I have not seen anything that makes me think he isn't well rounded and doing his job.  

 

I may have misread your statement “Not sure how the amount of carries he had in college means that he needs more work.” 

 

Technically you are correct, his limited carries doesn’t guarantee he isn’t already polished or ready for a heavy workload.  Hopefully you are right and he proves to be a league winner type in short order.  I know we are all pulling for that.  We should be willing to have patience though for all the reasons we’ve mentioned, on top of no preseason games.  The kid would be having an impressive “preseason” with a skyrocketing ADP any other season based on the stuff he is flashing out there. Can’t wait to see what we have on our hands a month from now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dudewithabadcat said:

 

I know what he means.  I have not seen anything that makes me think he isn't well rounded and doing his job.  

That may be a case of the coaching staff putting him in positive situations given his current competencies. Practice makes perfect, and he's light on reps in his lifetime. Big believer in this kid, just don't know if he's ready to be a world beater in his first few games in the pros. Give him 5-6 weeks of ever increasing involvement and complexity and he'll really start to gain momentum.

Choo choo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feed this man:

 

Top RB's for Broken Tackles in the NFL.  Guess which one is Antonio Gibson

 

Player Att Yds BrkTkl
Att/Br
Player A 52 181 12 4.3
Player B 22 91 10 2.2
Player C 41 156 8 5.1
Player D 29 146 7 4.1
Player E 35 177 6 5.8
Player F 44 185 5 8.8

 

 

 

 

 

 

Player A Josh Jacobs
Player B Antonio Gibson
Player C
Christian McCaffrey
Player D
David Montgomery
Player E Austin Ekeler
Player F Ezekiel Elliott

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Trifecta said:

 

He means learning things like pass protection, how to take care of himself with a large number of carries, proving he can run between the tackles, punch it in at the goal line against stacked fronts and maintain ball security doing so. 

 

I think he could be just fine as a gadget type player in space as a flex play for fantasy, but if we want him to be a maximum value RB, he needs the carries. To get the carries, he has plenty to learn. He's not only a rookie, he's an inexperienced running back. 

 

All that said I'm a big believer and love watching him make plays. I think his breakout is coming soon enough and he'll be able to be a huge asset on my dynasty team for years to come. 

He had 13 carries in his second game..... and that number is only going up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy fade this week, hopefully not too many people are forced into starting him. The rushing volume is coming along nicely, but Haskins is not good and Washington is not using Gibson in the passing game. There needs to be strides there before we can even talk about Gibson becoming a RB2. Also a brutal matchup this week against the Browns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Easy fade this week, hopefully not too many people are forced into starting him. The rushing volume is coming along nicely, but Haskins is not good and Washington is not using Gibson in the passing game. There needs to be strides there before we can even talk about Gibson becoming a RB2. Also a brutal matchup this week against the Browns. 

I agree. The usage is trending positively, but until we see some usage in the passing game, it’s still just a speculative bench stash for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drewfus said:

Have to start him this week but I'm hoping this is the week they throw him the rock. 

Right, it's not like he was a former receiver or anything 🙄  I would say his passing game usage has been criminal, but he actually leads all Washington backs with five receiving yards. Either Haskins is unable to check down or it's not being emphasized in the game plan. I was encouraged to see him and McKissic on the field together on a few third-downs though. Hopefully more creative usage is around the corner...tough for Gibson to break off big rushing plays with such poor blocking, would be great to see him get the ball in space to show off that tackle breaking ability. 

Edited by Jetdog16
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Right, it's not like he was a former receiver or anything 🙄  I would say his passing game usage has been criminal, but he actually leads all Washington backs with five receiving yards. Either Haskins is unable to check down or it's not being emphasized in the game plan. I was encouraged to see him and McKissic on the field together on a few third-downs though. Hopefully more creative usage is around the corner...tough for Gibson to break off big rushing plays with such poor blocking, would be great to see him get the ball in space to show off that tackle breaking ability. 

Did they move Gibson into the slot on those 3rd downs, or were they both in the backfield? It sounded like WFT had plans to move Gibson all over the place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...