The G Man

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

The hype when something like this happens a week before the season is always insane. Washington still has a bottom 5 O-Line and the WORST starting QB in the entire league. These things don't get better by releasing AD.

Edited by Ball So Hard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Magoo said:

This page is going to be 100 pages by opening weekend.  Particularly with the CMC narrative correlations which are stupid even by bs garbage unthinking hype narrative standards.

I don't see anyone in here saying he's CMC. What they're saying is the guy fits well in a CMC type game script.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ball So Hard said:

The hype when something like this happens a week before the season is always insane. Washington still has a bottom 5 O-Line and the WORST starting QB in the entire league

Yeah, for sure. That's one of the reasons why everyone is so hot on AG: his superhuman athleticism, his size & power, his elusiveness and his play making. They need him badly. Good point.

• Like 1

Can’t blame Gibson owners for getting excited. That said, If I were a Gibson owner I’d be looking to see how high I can sell before this situation reveals itself to be an ugly RBBC on a bad offense. Just hard to imagine fantasy gold being mined here. Doesn’t mean Gibson can’t be a good fantasy asset, just not sure he’ll live up to the current hype, thus sell high.

Edited by Lamont Sanford

10 minutes ago, Ball So Hard said:

The hype when something like this happens a week before the season is always insane. Washington still has a bottom 5 O-Line and the WORST starting QB in the entire league. These things don't get better by releasing AD.

Shhhhhhh......  I enjoy reading these kind of threads.  Am pulling for Gibson, as well.

Yes, this is like getting excited about a Dolphins or Browns backfield from past (rebuild) years. Terrible team, questionable young QB, new staff, etc. A bunch of conjecture on unproven and previously cut RBs. This is funny.

4 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Can’t blame Gibson owners for getting excited. That said, If I were a Gibson owner I’d be looking to see how high I can sell before this situation reveals itself to be an ugly RBBC on a bad offense. Just hard to imagine fantasy gold being mined here. Doesn’t mean Gibson can’t be a good fantasy asset, just not sure he’ll live up to the current hype, thus sell high.

I would not be trading for a guy like Gibson, personally. I got him late in my draft and so it doesn't hurt to cut him for nothing even. If he even hits 60%-70% of my expectations then that is probably gold in my FLEX.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Could have also said the same about McLaurin last year... "team is a dumpster fire" "gonna lose 16" "blah blah blah"... talent is talent... AP still ran for ~1k yards 2 seasons in a row behind this atrocious line and with the same horrendous QB play... can AG, on this team right now, be a top 10 RB? unlikely... can he be an interesting RB2 as long as they give him the requisite number of touches? absolutely (imho)... get this man 14-15 touches a game and he can be dangerous... i could see ~10 rush attempts and ~5 passes and ~1 jet sweep going this guy's way each game...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leebattle said:

Yes, this is like getting excited about a Dolphins or Browns backfield from past (rebuild) years. Terrible team, questionable young QB, new staff, etc. A bunch of conjecture on unproven and previously cut RBs. This is funny.

Please remind me what McCafferey did with the same OC, a worse QB, and a worse OL last year.  I'm not saying Gibson will be CMC, but if he gives you even 50% of what McCafferey did, that's a huge steal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDude4bides said:

Could have also said the same about McLaurin last year... "team is a dumpster fire" "gonna lose 16" "blah blah blah"... talent is talent... AP still ran for ~1k yards 2 seasons in a row behind this atrocious line and with the same horrendous QB play... can AG, on this team right now, be a top 10 RB? unlikely... can he be an interesting RB2 as long as they give him the requisite number of touches? absolutely (imho)... get this man 14-15 touches a game and he can be dangerous... i could see ~10 rush attempts and ~5 passes and ~1 jet sweep going this guy's way each game...

WR on a bad team > RB on a bad team

still excited about Gibson.  Just not sure the McLaurin comparison is fair

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkinsNation said:

Please remind me what McCafferey did with the same OC, a worse QB, and a worse OL last year.  I'm not saying Gibson will be CMC, but if he gives you even 50% of what McCafferey did, that's a huge steal.

For anyone who's counting, 1/2*CMC is the 12th best RB in full PPR based on 2019 stats. Who's gold plating their FLEX?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkinsNation said:

Yes, that's the rosy outlook on it. The thing is that CMC was the unquestioned lead back and talent for that entire team. Here, we still don't necessarily know the pecking order and sorting it out or guessing is more similar to other rebuilding backfields from past years. The most likely outcome is muddiness from everyone.

But yea, there allure is there, no doubt.

Edited by leebattle

Just now, leebattle said:

Yes, that's the rosy outlook on it. The thing is that CMC was the unquestioned lead back and talent for that entire team. Here, we still don't necessarily know the pecking order and sorting it out or guessing is more similar in to other rebuilding backfields from past years. The most likely outcome is likely muddiness from everyone.

You sound like you're trying to talk yourself out of going after him. Let me help you: you're too late, abort, abort. The price is no longer right.

• Like 2

Just now, leebattle said:

Yes, that's the rosy outlook on it. The thing is that CMC was the unquestioned lead back and talent for that entire team. Here, we still don't necessarily know the pecking order and sorting it out or guessing is more similar in to other rebuilding backfields from past years. The most likely outcome is likely muddiness from everyone.

If I had to guess the pecking order, I would guess that the lead back would be the guy the OC was drawing plays up for two months before the draft.

1 minute ago, Spyplane said:

You sound like you're trying to talk yourself out of going after him. Let me help you: you're too late, abort, abort. The price is no longer right.

No, I drafted Gibson. But tempering any expectations.

So we're looking at a 5th round price tag, right? Easy to pass on him if stud WRs drop (Chark, McLaurin, Woods, etc.), but it's him and Akers for me as the best RBs available then.

25 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

WR on a bad team > RB on a bad team

still excited about Gibson.  Just not sure the McLaurin comparison is fair

True, but Gibson is more "pass catcher" than "bruiser"... a bruiser on a bad team will be buried in the second half of most games, but a pass catcher on a bad team is a goldmine... I see AG as one of their pass catchers (with some rushing ability to boot), so while not a perfect comparison, I'm just trying to point out that bad teams can have exceptional performances... might cap his ceiling, but it's no reason not to take a flier (we luckily drafted two nights ago, before all this happened, so I was able to get him at "flier" prices... not sure how I'd feel about drafting him in the 5th, as some posters have said... that's a bit too risky for my liking...)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, leebattle said:

No, I drafted Gibson. But tempering any expectations.

Let people have some fun. 😀

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

So we're looking at a 5th round price tag, right? Easy to pass on him if stud WRs drop (Chark, McLaurin, Woods, etc.), but it's him and Akers for me as the best RBs available then.

Yes absolutely. He went 5.4 this morning in a FFPC footballguys...of the guys you mention--Chark went 4.8 and selected directly after Gibson at 5.4 it went McLaurin/Lockett/Woods/Metcalf in order.

• Like 1

Drafted Gibson in the 3rd round of my dynasty rookie draft and the 13th round of my redraft league. Hope everyone else bought when his price was low, it’s rare to get someone this exciting with that late of a pick. It seems like Gibson is a perfect fit for norv’s scheme. Though I do wish we had some preseason so we could see how we performs in pass protection.

37 minutes ago, Yanksfan06 said:

Drafted Gibson in the 3rd round of my dynasty rookie draft and the 13th round of my redraft league. Hope everyone else bought when his price was low, it’s rare to get someone this exciting with that late of a pick. It seems like Gibson is a perfect fit for norv’s scheme. Though I do wish we had some preseason so we could see how we performs in pass protection.

Geez the 13th? I took him early 8th round a week ago. I think with AP's comments it's safe to assume he's been okay in pass pro. I read that he's been improving in that department as camp has gone on.

I just can’t get over his lack of use in college, but I can admit I don’t know the details. Was he hurt? Was it simply that the Memphis coaches thought Henderson, Pollard and Patrick Taylor deserved more touches? What gives? I know Pollard was lightly used in college as well and he seems to have adjusted to the league pretty well, but he’s more likely to be an outlier, and even he got a lot more run than Gibson. Why wouldn’t the Memphis staff use such an athletic freak more often? He worries me. Kalen Ballage was an athletic freak too.

Seen him go in the 5th. Interesting -> but too early for me just yet.

28 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

I just can’t get over his lack of use in college, but I can admit I don’t know the details. Was he hurt? Was it simply that the Memphis coaches thought Henderson, Pollard and Patrick Taylor deserved more touches? What gives? I know Pollard was lightly used in college as well and he seems to have adjusted to the league pretty well, but he’s more likely to be an outlier, and even he got a lot more run than Gibson. Why wouldn’t the Memphis staff use such an athletic freak more often? He worries me. Kalen Ballage was an athletic freak too.

If nothing else Turner is going to be the new offensive guru if he can turn a guy with 33 college carries to his belt into an Austin Ekeler or a feature back in year one.

Don't doubt that tea leaves say he's the guy but I would be completely shocked if he led the team in carries.

Just now, Magoo said:

If nothing else Turner is going to be the new offensive guru if he can turn a guy with 33 college carries to his belt into an Austin Ekeler or a feature back in year one.

Don't doubt that tea leaves say he's the guy but I would be completely shocked if he led the team in carries.

i'd rather he led the RBs in receptions ... give this kid 50+ catches, and we talkin' something very special in PPR - if he gets in the neighborhood of 175 carries, all the better. 

• Like 1