The G Man

Antonio Gibson 2020 Outlook

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i'd rather he led the RBs in receptions ... give this kid 50+ catches, and we talkin' something very special in PPR - if he gets in the neighborhood of 175 carries, all the better. 

Yea PPR upside looks exciting for sure

• Like 1

Man, this is starting to become the 2019 Damien Williams thread but all condensed into 3-5 days instead of several weeks.  

I'm a maybe on him, maybe get a share if the price is right.    I'll tell you one reason why i dont mind taking a semi-high priced stab is the RB depth after the 5th round or so.  I'm completely meh on just about every RB from 25-35 overall.  Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Marlon Mack, Philip Lindsay?   Not much FOMO if i draft Gibson over one of those guys.........assuming the ADP doesn't rocketblast

Edited by BrianM
  • Like 2

I can’t get passed the fact that this guy, though an athletic specimen and a player no doubt, had basically never played running back.  There’s a whole second nature, sub conscious feel for the position that comes from experience and reps and he just has none.  The first time he hits the A-gap in game 1 and gets a face full of Fletcher Cox on the other side may well expose him.

Love on the other hand, theres another back on the roster who was a Heisman hopeful and is getting healthy and waiting in the wings.  I gotta think he’s gotta emerge to be the guy.  Am I reading too much into it?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phillyball said:

I can’t get passed the fact that this guy, though an athletic specimen and a player no doubt, had basically never played running back.  There’s a whole second nature, sub conscious feel for the position that comes from experience and reps and he just has none.  The first time he hits the A-gap in game 1 and gets a face full of Fletcher Cox on the other side may well expose him.

yeah, getting hit in live contact is the least of the concerns ... just stop with that, the kid knows he's gonna get hit, and hit hard as hell ... methinks he knows the drill - he'll be fine. 

don't over dramatize this. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phillyball said:

Love on the other hand, theres another back on the roster who was a Heisman hopeful and is getting healthy and waiting in the wings.  I gotta think he’s gotta emerge to be the guy.  Am I reading too much into it?

I don’t think the natural instincts for the position comes from experience, I think it just comes from having the natural instincts. If Gibson has it, he won’t need much actual experience to get up to speed.

5 hours ago, ponchsox said:

This is why Zero RB is still a viable strategy. Gibson could outperform RBs taken in rounds 3 and 4.

I drafted Ronald Jones in 5th and Gibson in 10th, so it will hold for me. 

7 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Barber and his career 3.6 YPC is on the team, no doubt.

Your a ypc carry guy cool. Anyway,  his presence is similar to Gore (not saying he has Gore’s talent) I feel he will find a way to siphon carries. 

we will revisit ;)

Edited by affliction

30 minutes ago, phillyball said:

No one is saying they're going to use him as run it up the gut kind of player. AP called it "pony" work, something different than he was accustomed to but something he thought he could do. They opted to go with the kid for this stuff. Look at him as a Kamara type player. 

My guess is he can hold up for six carries per game at 6'0", 220lbs.

7 minutes ago, affliction said:

Your a ypc carry guy cool. Anyway,  his presence is similar to Gore (not saying he has Gore’s talent) I feel he will find a way to siphon carries. 

we will revisit ;)

It is cool. It's a stat that tells a lot when one looks at it for a career. Gore is a shadow of his prime when he did have a good YPC. 

Barber is meh for fantasy. For a real football team? Different. For a game that's about math? Pass.

21 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

No one is saying they're going to use him as run it up the gut kind of player. AP called it "pony" work, something different than he was accustomed to but something he thought he could do. They opted to go with the kid for this stuff. Look at him as a Kamara type player. 

My guess is he can hold up for six carries per game at 6'0", 220lbs.

Exactly, and I don't necessarily think he won't be used in short yardage situations. If he would have worked out with the RBs at the combine, he would have weighed in as the third heaviest at 228lbs. He actually has almost the exact same measurables as Jonathan Taylor.

Edited by Fade2White12

How is he in pass pro? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I find it hard to believe he's proficient when you have RBs who've been in the league for years that still can't figure it out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

How is he in pass pro? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I find it hard to believe he's proficient when you have RBs who've been in the league for years that still can't figure it out. 

Pass protection isn’t really about “figuring it out.” It’s really moreso just about being willing to step in front of 300 lb freight trains. He’s a pass catching back anyways, he won’t be doing much blocking.

Edited by MJJ28

2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Given his skill-set, I wonder how often he will be called to block and not run routes on pass plays. Nevertheless, big athletic physical specimen RBs are almost always better pass blockers than their smaller counterparts. I'm not worried about it.

People are trying to come up with reasons he won't work out. So now we're onto pass protection against 300lbs linemen. Well all RBs are gonna struggle in that scenario BUT Gibson did pump out 16 on the bench press at combine. Guess how many CMC did? 10. That's a huge difference on the bench.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

People are trying to come up with reasons he won't work out. So now we're onto pass protection against 300lbs linemen. Well all RBs are gonna struggle in that scenario BUT Gibson did pump out 16 on the bench press at combine. Guess how many CMC did? 10. That's a huge difference on the bench.

Bench press honestly doesn't matter that much for blocking. It's all leg strength and leverage. It doesn't matter how much you can bench press you're not going to stop 250+ lbs guys with your arms.

21 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Can we make a rule for this thread that other than Rivera and Turner’s comments correlative arguments to CMC are prohibited until game day?

Fell in love with him after watching his highlights. He definitely looks the part, has all the tools to succeed. Not having preseason actually benefitted us owners. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Can we make a rule for this thread that other than Rivera and Turner’s comments correlative arguments to CMC are prohibited until game day?

Hmmm probably not.

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

I bet CMC could do 35 now, he jacked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

I bet CMC could do 35 now, he jacked.

I've seen a few internet ads saying Trainers Hate Him 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, whoopsie said:

Bench press honestly doesn't matter that much for blocking. It's all leg strength and leverage. It doesn't matter how much you can bench press you're not going to stop 250+ lbs guys with your arms.

His legs are trunks.  Why do you think he broke so many tackles?

t5qzu28qi48fe8qrjjjy.jpg

Edited by SkinsNation

2 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Pass protection isn’t really about “figuring it out.” It’s really moreso just about being willing to step in front of 300 lb freight trains.

2 hours ago, whoopsie said:

Bench press honestly doesn't matter that much for blocking. It's all leg strength and leverage. 

Pass protection requires all of those things.  

The running back needs to be able to read the defense and figure out who he is responsible for.   He has to know who to block.  Some RBs can never get this right.

The running back has to know how to block.  Since he is often the smaller man, he needs good technique to win.   This is why tiny running backs like Danny Woodhead can still be great in pass protection.  It's not just about size.

The running back has to be willing to block.  He's going to end up having to block oncoming defenders who get a running start and often are bigger and stronger.  He can't make "business decisions" because the QB is the business.

Gibson is an enigma.  With limited reps in college and no preseason games, I have no idea what to make of him in pass protection. 

He can't be that bad though, considering his reported practice usage.  Unless the coaches were just trying to get him reps with the 1s to see if he could handle it.   He does seem like the kind of guy who could naturally pick up on anything athletically.

Bryce Love knows the system (It's similar to Stanford), and has been working on getting better in pass protection since his senior year.  He is close with Christian McCaffrey so he should have a big head start on understanding the protections and playbook.

Peyton Barber was on the field for the Bucs for his pass protection.  Mostly because it was better than Ronald Jones, who was awful.

I find it hard to believe they'd cut Guice and Peterson without bringing other RBs in if they felt both Gibson and Love couldn't pass protect at the NFL level.

• Like 3

Yeah I don't think he lack of reps pass blocking is going to matter much? He is big and fast and can get in the way when he'll need to.

The WFT was 31st in NFL as far as using backs in pass pro last year, but this is a new regime and offensive philosophy, Carolina (where the new OC was last year) was in the lower half of teams for using a back in protection. With the amount of motion concepts they are bringing this year, he will be running far more routes than blocking anyways.

Had a high stakes best ball tonight and he was popped at 4-12...so be prepared to pay up if you want him.