The G Man

Zack Moss 2020 Outlook

Devin Singletary dynasty owners can't be too happy about this pick.

• Bills selected Utah RB Zack Moss with the No. 86 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Moss (5’9/223) was a three-time 1,000-yard rusher at Utah, departing as the university’s all-time leading rusher and scorer. Moss posted PFF’s third-highest broken tackle per carry rate over the last six seasons on his way to 1,416 rushing yards and 15 ground scores as a senior. He chipped in 28-388-2 as a receiver. All this coming off a knee operation the year prior. When healthy, Moss has quality contact balance and packs a punch between the tackles. Think Kareem Hunt, but Moss' injury history makes him a boom-or-bust prospect. Moss did not quiet the injury concerns at the NFL Combine, where he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds. Moss could initially feature in short-yardage situations, and should immediately each touches behind Devin Singletary.

Apr 24, 2020, 10:58 PM ET

•  

Should make the BUF backfield a full-blown RBBC. He’s as good a runner as Singletary and a much better receiver.

• Like 2

He was who I wanted Steelers to somehow snag if we didnt get Taylor or Dobbins , really high on Moss and yea that might put a dent into Singletary shares 

Moss is the anti-Vaughn. A lot of good tape, clear, mature and polished 3 down skillset displayed over and over again. But, also unlike Vaughn, he’s slow as. 4.65 40(4.52 pro day) and you can see it on tape. He looks like he is running in molasses out there and wont be able to beat an edge outside in the NFL, that much is obvious. 

It’s too bad because other than that he looks like an NFL caliber RB. It makes total sense he was drafted in Buf as a cold weather compliment to Singletary. I wouldn’t mind owning him in deep dynasty leagues but in leagues where studs are at a premium I would likely completely ignore Moss as his upside is likely limited by his lack of speed at the next level.

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, LostAtSea said:

"Moss is the anti-Vaughn. A lot of good tape, clear, mature and polished 3 down skillset displayed over and over again. But, also unlike Vaughn, he’s slow as. 4.65 40(4.52 pro day) and you can see it on tape. He looks like he is running in molasses out there and wont be able to beat an edge outside in the NFL, that much is obvious. It’s too bad because other than that he looks like an NFL caliber RB. It makes total sense he was drafted in Buf as a cold weather compliment to Singletary. I wouldn’t mind owning him in deep dynasty leagues but in leagues where studs are at a premium I would likely completely ignore Moss as his upside is likely limited by his lack of speed at the next level."

Moss isn't a homerun hitter but speed is not a weakness. My understanding is that he wasn't ready for the combine & was nursing a hamstring injury. Due to the current climate, he didn't have a pro day. That 4.52 he ran is unofficial & probably doesn't lend itself. Thing is, that was run outside on a football field, not inside on a smooth surface, like at the combine. Again, the RBs they had scouted as well as the pursuit of Gordon suggests that a complement to Singletary is not all that they were looking for. And your right, Moss brings a polished 3-down skill set to the offense. 

What the organization puts out there for public consumption, they're not going anoint Moss the starter. Nor are they going to suggest there's an open competition. Singletary has earned a shot & he's going to get it. Moss coming in and throwing it around in camp isn't going to accomplish anything. He needs to make sure he's ready for the regular season. Singletary is too high, fantasy-wise.

Edited by markrc99

This guy seems too similar to David Montgomery for me to get excited. They had similar 40 times at both the combine and pro days. Montgomery led college football in broken tackles 2 years ago and I believe moss did last year. Both have good receiving abilities but there is already a back on the NFL teams with far better recording capabilities. Moss does seem faster than Montgomery but I don’t think he will outrun the secondary for long TDs very often. Just can’t get excited about this guy mainly because of the horrors of David Montgomery.

9 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

This guy seems too similar to David Montgomery for me to get excited. They had similar 40 times at both the combine and pro days. Montgomery led college football in broken tackles 2 years ago and I believe moss did last year. Both have good receiving abilities but there is already a back on the NFL teams with far better recording capabilities. Moss does seem faster than Montgomery but I don’t think he will outrun the secondary for long TDs very often. Just can’t get excited about this guy mainly because of the horrors of David Montgomery.

In terms of redraft his price is low so there is a chance of big profit. Montgomery was hyped beyond belief here on these forums as well as some other sites last year.

13 minutes ago, turner46 said:

In terms of redraft his price is low so there is a chance of big profit. Montgomery was hyped beyond belief here on these forums as well as some other sites last year.

good call! Obviously you take a swing at a starting RB late in the draft.

• Like 1

He will be a solid RB4 because I can see him snagging anywhere between 6-8 goal line touchdowns to preserve Allen a little bit, but Singletary is more talented and more versatile and he proved that he belongs in the starting role in just about every game he played last year. That said, I do believe Moss will have good value to the team on 3rd down. Yeldon is a non factor.

I like this as a landing spot for Moss. Whitt runs his running backs into the ground so he needs to share a backfield to produce per touch.

@Br0kenB, what makes you say so definitively that Singletary is more versatile?

15 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

I like this as a landing spot for Moss. Whitt runs his running backs into the ground so he needs to share a backfield to produce per touch.

To my eye-  Moss is more of a physical pinballer with limited agility and not a lot of speed.   Short dump offs for minimal gains and pounding up the middle is what u get from him.  ie....Frank Gore. Pretty much the perfect compliment to the shifty, agile,  versatile Singletary   

42 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

To my eye-  Moss is more of a physical pinballer with limited agility and not a lot of speed.   Short dump offs for minimal gains and pounding up the middle is what u get from him.  ie....Frank Gore. Pretty much the perfect compliment to the shifty, agile,  versatile Singletary   

Moss had 66 career receptions at Utah, that's more than Singletary had in college

Moss had the most broken tackles in college football last season which is the stat that translates most to the NFL. 

Singletary has the advantage over Moss by having 1 year more experience but I'd expect Moss to become the goal line back rather quickly over Singletary and will probably share the workload as well. 

Singletary may be a little shiftier but I don't think that necessarily makes him more versatile. Moss is a pretty dang good all around RB. 

The one who develops best at protecting Allen will likely see the most work on passing downs.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

I've seen him do everything necessary in the offense and truly understand how to get extra yards and how to maximize his opportunities. I have not seen that from Moss because we haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. McDermott has consistently gone with the sure thing in his time in Buffalo, and this will be no different. Singletary will play his same role as last year, with Moss doing the Gore work. So while Moss could have some value, Singletary is the guy in this backfield. He's too good at what he does to be denied that role. It's confirmed, after all. We've seen him do a lot with a smaller amount of touches.

Also, Singletary's calling card in college was his broken tackle rate. It remained true in the pros. He has shown a really good ability to find soft spots in the defense and to sit in them. He plays faster than his documented speed. He understands the offense and how to get first downs. We don't know if Moss can do that yet, and this staff has always gone with what they know compared to the wild cards.

Edited by Br0kenB
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

I've seen him do everything necessary in the offense and truly understand how to get extra yards and how to maximize his opportunities. I have not seen that from Moss because we haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. McDermott has consistently gone with the sure thing in his time in Buffalo, and this will be no different. Singletary will play his same role as last year, with Moss doing the Gore work. So while Moss could have some value, Singletary is the guy in this backfield. He's too good at what he does to be denied that role. It's confirmed, after all. We've seen him do a lot with a smaller amount of touches.

Also, Singletary's calling card in college was his broken tackle rate. It remained true in the pros. He has shown a really good ability to find soft spots in the defense and to sit in them. He plays faster than his documented speed. He understands the offense and how to get first downs. We don't know if Moss can do that yet, and this staff has always gone with what they know compared to the wild cards.

Moss was far better in breaking tackles than Singletary in college. He is an all-time PFF favorite in that category. RBBC sooner rather than later.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Moss was far better in breaking tackles than Singletary in college. He is an all-time PFF favorite in that category. RBBC sooner rather than later.

Not true in the slightest:

Singletary 2017: 109 BT, 36.1 BT%
Moss 2017: 64 BT, 30.0 BT%

Singletary 2018: 111 BT, 42.2 BT% (best overall, both cats)
Moss 2018: (not among FBS leaders, only 9 games played)

Singletary 2019: 23.8 BT% (NFL rookie season, 4th overall, min. 100 att.)

Moss 2019: 74 BT, 31.6 BT%

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

yep. thanks BCMP. I know my Bills. Also PFF is confirmed dog ****.

Edited by Br0kenB
  • Like 3

Moss had more receptions in college than Singletary.

Bills mostly drafted a Devin Singletary clone.

They were both tops in their class for broken tackles coming out of college.

If you watched Singletary as a bills fan last year and watched 0 Utah games then I'd guess you would think Singletary is better.

Reality is Moss is on the same level as Devin. I expect them to share the load like McDermott saw done in Carolina with Jonathan Stewart/DeAngelo Henderson.

The one that is the better pass blocker will end up on the field more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Moss will be the lightning option for them. 

7 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Moss will be the lightning option for them. 

The same day you’re awarded “RW poster of the year”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

LOL has anyone checked out his PP page?

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/zack-moss/

every picture and clip i see of moss he's excited and has his mouth open (screaming, eating, drooling, cheering his team), but in playerprofiler he's crying and his mouth is tight. is he crying because they're comparing him to montee "bowling" ball?  is it his metrics, which i'm pretty sure are worse than mine?

can't be crying because he's a bill, right? i mean, they're a growing run-heavy team surely to cruise into the playoffs. 

thanks. a sad way to begin May 2020.

tenor.gif

I'd cry too if my Pro Comparison was Montee Ball.

• Like 2

Moss has some bad tape, but prospective owners may want to consider that he was the main cog in Utah's offense. Which meant he was often the focus of every defense, he didn't face too many lighter fronts. The eval below is provided by Matt Waldman. One of the games he focuses on is against Oregon in the PAC-12 championship. Watch him make plays as a ball-carrier, a receiver & as a pass protector. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6oLITB-h8

4 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Moss has some bad tape, but prospective owners may want to consider that he was the main cog in Utah's offense. Which meant he was often the focus of every defense, he didn't face too many lighter fronts. The eval below is provided by Matt Waldman. One of the games he focuses on is against Oregon in the PAC-12 championship. Watch him make plays as a ball-carrier, a receiver & as a pass protector. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6oLITB-h8

He carried Huntley and the entire offense for the last two years.  The Utah offense is about as vanilla as possible in Whitt’s goal of field control and winning grinders.  He was especially good at icing games with long TD runs late in the fourth. I am optimistic that he will be a bruiser late in the fourth during cold Buffalo games and earn his TDs then.

Is it too much to hope for another Shady/Williams combo?

• Like 1