The G Man

CeeDee Lamb 2020 Outlook

• Cowboys selected Oklahoma WR CeeDee Lamb with the No. 17 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Lamb (6’2/198) was a three-year starting outside receiver at Oklahoma who earned consensus All-American honors as a true junior by posting a 62/1,324/14 receiving line. He easily led the draft class in yards per target (15.1) and yards after the catch (11.0), seamlessly dodging would-be tacklers in open space. He wins at the line of scrimmage with quick feet and finishes off plays with in-air adjustments, drawing comparisons to DeAndre Hopkins. Lamb will be utilized in the screen game and on vertical routes as an all-around go-to slot option with Dallas despite being an average-sized wideout with 4.50 speed. His elite production, ball skills, and after-the-catch magic give him top-10 potential from Day 1. With only Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup still around as viable wideouts, Lamb will undoubtedly start in three-wide sets as a 21-year-old rookie out the gates, pushing Cooper to the slot at times. Lamb himself also led the nation in yards per route run (6.11) from the slot last year. 

Apr 23, 2020, 10:18 PM ET

•  

Cooper has ZERO guaranteed money after 2021, the same time Gallup is a FA. Not hard to connect the dots if Lamb is as good as we think he is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He is in best position among rookie wrs as far as I’m concerned.  Cooper and Gallop will be getting top CB attention.  While Ruggs and Jeudy will have tough match ups as they are expected to do big things right away.  

Coop and Gallup 1000 plus last year and Cobb had 800 plus.  Lamb is a huge upgrade from Cobb.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BleachyBlonde said:

All I know is the Dallas offense is going to be off the hook. Now let's see how the defense can hold up. 

Hopefully they stink 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lamb will slide right into a starting WR spot when Dallas either lets Cooper walk or trades him. 

This man is going to feast this year. He is already the best WR on the team and he is going to have CB3s on him for the first half of the season. I'm buying everywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

Hopefully they stink 

Start hoping for something else bc this ain't happening 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Start hoping for something else bc this ain't happening 

Yeah I really like the talent Dallas has on defense - just hoping they regress so we can see Dallas' offense REALLY let it fly.  

9th in YPG, 11th in PPG - they lost Jones and Quinn this off-season so maybe a slight step back to the 13-15 overall defense range still isn't bad but maybe adds some more opportunity for the offense.

Edited by Fort4242

Some notes after selecting him in Dynasty:

- I especially like where he went. I think he can be productive from day one, in a good offense, they need him, and he can be a top dog in the future. That's a huge bonus.
- his route skills are being touted but I actually came away a bit unimpressed. What he is GREAT at though, is making quick turns even while catching, often so fast it catches defenders unaware. His balance is uncanny.
- what scares me is how much he enjoys weaving through traffic. That can either work out really well, Tyreek Hill style, or it can get you banged up a lot if you take that from College to the NFL

All in all I think he has a lot to learn, but I also think he has a great basis and as said, a great landing spot. 
Two videos I thought gave a good in-depth look:
- Matt Waldman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWCi7trF3I
- Voch Lombardi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSNjZzUf1aY

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 3:16 AM, Tghetty said:

He is in best position among rookie wrs as far as I’m concerned.  Cooper and Gallop will be getting top CB attention.  While Ruggs and Jeudy will have tough match ups as they are expected to do big things right away.  

Coop and Gallup 1000 plus last year and Cobb had 800 plus.  Lamb is a huge upgrade from Cobb.  

Cole Beasley also put useful statlines in the slot with Prescott.

• Like 1

Obviously, it'll all boil down to where his ADP settles.

That being said, rookie WRs are usually a tough sell. Even in a best case scenario you are looking at around 1,000/8 which would already put him in some of the most elite company of this past decade. There's been a few exceptions (Thomas: 1,137 & 9, Evans: 1,051 & 12, Beckham: 1395 & 12). While I like Lamb, I don't consider his talent anything generational or extremely special. Jeudy is closer to a special prospect but obviously his landing spot isn't as good.

So realistically, you are hoping for around a finish of around WR20 in a BEST case scenario. More likely even a very good year for a rookie will land him around WR25-30. 

FantasyPros has him at 117 in their ranking and he is going around there on FFC ADP. Obviously it is early to judge ADP for rookies as of now but realistically that's where I would put him. Maybe 10 spots or so higher. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

So realistically, you are hoping for around a finish of around WR20 in a BEST case scenario.

In redraft, yes. But I assume most of the people looking at him here (and this early in the season) would be thinking of dynasty prospects.

10 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

In redraft, yes. But I assume most of the people looking at him here (and this early in the season) would be thinking of dynasty prospects.

We know you would be 😘

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

6th pick today in my rookie-dynasty draft. Thinking this is my pick unless Dobbins happens to be there. 

Would ya'll go Lamb > Jeudy

Lamb > Akers/Swift/Dobbins?

Edited by CharlieWhitehurst

3 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

6th pick today in my rookie-dynasty draft. Thinking this is my pick unless Dobbins happens to be there. 

Would ya'll go Lamb > Jeudy

Lamb > Akers/Swift/Dobbins?

I would go Lamb over all those options.

• Haha 1

in dynasty i think WRs hold value for a longer period of time so I would go Lamb over those RBs unless you own Henderson/Kerryon Johnson/Ingram. Henderson and Kerryon are still in question who is going to be the starting RB so it'd be nice to cuff that position. Henderson/Kerryon and Swift/Akers are all still young so it can go either direction there. Dobbins is going to be the lead back within the next 2 years so he's probably more of a clear answer. But if you had Solid RB situation, i'd go with Lamb or Jeudy

12 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

WR2

No way.

We can make this interesting if you want.

If Lamb finishes as a top 24 WR, you can pick my Avatar for the next year.

If he finishes outside, I pick yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

No way.

We can make this interesting if you want.

If Lamb finishes as a top 24 WR, you can pick my Avatar for the next year.

If he finishes outside, I pick yours.

I don't make silly prop bets.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I don't make silly prop bets.

translation : "I'm probably wrong about Lamb."

Edited by K197040
  • Haha 1

I don't think much of Lamb in 2020.  Interesting to see so many expecting big things.

2021 and beyond I can see it.  Not this year though.

If Dak throws for 5k again though I guess anything is possible.  

On 8/3/2020 at 10:02 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

WR2

In DerrickHenrysCleats I Trust!!!