The G Man

Justin Herbert 2020 Outlook

The Chargers' initial plan for this season was to start Tyrod & try to compete for a Wildcard. With abbreviated camp & no preseason, the thought was that Herbert wouldn't be ready. Herbert comes in & is waaaay better than expected. Plans change. 

QBs need time to develop on the field, and have failures, before they're ready to lead a team to playoff glory. It makes no sense to not start that clock for Herbert now. Even if they think Tyrod would win more games, they aren't going anywhere with him. Let Herbert absorb the growing pains this year while still keeping the team very competive, especially if Lynn wants to be back next year.

55 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

Even if there was only a 50% chance that Herbert could become a stud QB, wouldn't you take that chance? Or would you rather roll with a 31 year old journeyman QB who has never won a playoff game in his career?

There's no guarantee that Herbert is going to be a bonafide star but there's a chance. Tyrod is what he is at this point in his career. 

I guess I have an older school mentality than some, but regardless of what Justin Herbert might be, I don't think there's any harm in saying he's not there yet.  And this is potentially a bad team with all their injuries.  And that can be a bad way for a rookie to learn how to play quarterback in the NFL, and I've seen it go wrong before.  And I think Tyrod gives them a better chance to win right now because he has experience doing that.

And you guys can call me an idiot or Tyrod's dad or a soccer fan all you want, but you may have to accept the reality that Anthony Lynn feels the same way.

That's all.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I guess I have an older school mentality than some, but regardless of what Justin Herbert might be, I don't think there's any harm in saying he's not there yet.  And this is potentially a bad team with all their injuries.  And that can be a bad way for a rookie to learn how to play quarterback in the NFL, and I've seen it go wrong before.  And I think Tyrod gives them a better chance to win right now because he has experience doing that.

And you guys can call me an idiot or Tyrod's dad or a soccer fan all you want, but you may have to accept the reality that Anthony Lynn feels the same way.

That's all.

50% completion, 200 yards, no TD he isn't really winning material unless you're playing a garbage team like the bengals, herbert played 2 top 10 defenses and was far more productive and consistently doing what taylor failed to do even without mike williams and ekeler. taylor killed drive after drive with his inability to find the open receiver and give them a catchable ball. no thanks... herbert is out there throwing dimes and putting together long drives that convert to points. one thing you'll never hear in the NFL "TYROD TAYLOR IN A SHOOTOUT WITH PATRICK MAHOMES" 

Just now, The 7th Beatles said:

That should end the drama on this thread.

Mind boggling to me that some on here actually though Tyrod was the best play moving forward...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I'm definitely interested in this kid and I see him sitting there on the wire. 

How do the Herbert truthers rank him this week against other streaming options such as Bridgewater, Goff, etc? Is he more than just a streamer? 

His schedule is amazing, especially in the fantasy playoffs.

Opponents' DVOA Pass defense ranks (32nd is the worst):

Week...Rank

1. 5...11th
  2. 6...22nd
  3. 7...28th
  4. 8...32nd
  5. 9...30th
  6. 10...BYE
  7. 11...15th
  8. 12...17th
  9. 13...27th
  10. 14... 31st
  11. 15... 30th
  12. 16... 15th
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

How do the Herbert truthers rank him this week against other streaming options such as Bridgewater, Goff, etc? Is he more than just a streamer? 

4 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

I picked him up over Bridgewater, 🤞 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

Definitely more than just a streamer. I'd rank him number one of the waiver QBs. The kid has been absolutely phenomenal both in real life and from a fantasy perspective. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a low-end QB1 from here on out. 

• Thanks 1

but but but but the coach said Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB.....

Ah Hem, like I said the coach can change his mind. And now it's official. 

21 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That's all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

I have a good feeling about him. He has performed extremely well against quality opponents. This is kind of reminding me of Deshaun Watson's rookie year where he was a surprise QB 1. 

28 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

but but but but the coach said Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB.....

Ah Hem, like I said the coach can change his mind. And now it's official. 

I was wrong.  Not the first time, won't be the last.

• Like 4

We've seen more QBs have solid to very good rookie/first seasons lately. Not a lot of pro tape, defenses are learning weak spots, etc. It causes some complication. Also a simplified and execution mindset by the offense probably helps.

So people fading young QBs are behind the times some. Now year 2, think most will see some regression on the field and in FF. Particularly as it relates to ADP.

The Herbert train just left the station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Hey man its cool you just wanted your son Tyrod to stay in the sunshine a little longer

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Good sport by the way I appreciate it

• Thanks 1