The G Man

Justin Herbert 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

The last time Taylor threw three TDs in one game was 2016. Herbert did it Sunday. Herbert's yardage and completion percentage are also light years ahead of anything Tyrod's ever done. 

If you think the coach will be loyal to Tyrod, or the team will protect Herbert because they're so bad, fair enough. But if you think Tyrod is the better QB there's virtually nothing that points to that. 

Taylor's not that kind of quarterback.

He's going to be more of a conservative game manager who moves the chains with his feet.

That doesn't make him a worse option for the team winning games, that just means he doesn't give you a nice little box score with your L.

1 minute ago, LarryDavid said:

I can't honestly believe that anyone could watch the last couple years in Buf Tyrod, his brief poop looking appearances with the Browns, and his boring and brutal outing this year vs that very tough Bengals D (not really). 

And then watch Herbert come in with no notice vs the SB Champ Chiefs, Car, a very tough TB defense... and somehow think that Tyrod should be the starter lol. This is why I am firmly in the camp of Anthony Lynn a** needs to go. I was there before this whole ordeal, because he is terrible. But I can't believe anyone actually thinks Tyrod gives this team a better chance to win hahahah. 

KC - 22 of 33 for 311 and 1 TD / 4 for 18 rushing with a TD

CAR - 35 of 49 for 330 and 1 TD / 3 for 15 rushing 

TB - 20 of 25 for 290 yard and 3 TDs / 5 for 14 rushing

72% completions 931 yards and 5 TDs in 3 games

Tyrod couldn't do that in his most wet dreams. 

Exactly! Everyone knows who is the better QB.

• Like 1

i think there is some weird fan thing going on here with tyrod from college or some weird hatred of oregon. not really sure which.

1 minute ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Why so angry bro? Sit back and relax, it’ll be okay. 

LOL that wasn't even remotely angry.

1 minute ago, meekzy said:

i think there is some weird fan thing going on here with tyrod from college or some weird hatred of oregon. not really sure which.

I think it's just a lot more experience watching and playing football.

• Haha 1

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

yeah you should go back the last 4 years and watch more tyrod lol.

2 minutes ago, meekzy said:

yeah you should go back the last 4 years and watch more tyrod lol.

I would see a professional football team winning games,  how about if I watched Herbert?

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I would see a professional football team winning games,  how about if I watched Herbert?

Is Tyrod your father?

Just now, rasrar said:

Is Tyrod your father?

Yes, Tyrod's my father.  You guys are so witty.

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Tyrod Taylor was a Pro Bowler in 2015.

The coach has literally told you he's the starter when healthy.

Justin Herbert hasn't won a game.

Y'all are delusional.

I watched almost every Oregon game the last 10 years as I am a die hard Ducks fan. Obviously a lot of that was Herbert at QB the last few years.

Herbert is inconsistent, as expected of a rookie QB. But even back at Oregon, he'd make some extremely difficult throws look easy and throw some beautiful dimes but also make a few boneheaded plays occasionally which can cost his team. His development will be key. If he can cut down on his mistakes he can be a franchise-level QB. I also don't think the coaches at Oregon really used Herbert to his strengths. They wanted to be a run first team, and didn't really let Herbert sling it around much.

Given that Herbert looked pretty solid in his first few games with the Chargers, aside from the few (hopefully) fixable mistakes, I think it doesn't make sense to go back to Tyrod. You could argue that Tyrod gives them a better chance to win the next few games (debatable, but possible), but looking long-term, there's no way that Tyrod has the ceiling of Herbert.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBatum88 said:

I watched almost every Oregon game the last 10 years as I am a die hard Ducks fan. Obviously a lot of that was Herbert at QB the last few years.

Herbert is inconsistent, as expected of a rookie QB. But even back at Oregon, he'd make some extremely difficult throws look easy and throw some beautiful dimes but also make a few boneheaded plays occasionally which can cost his team. His development will be key. If he can cut down on his mistakes he can be a franchise-level QB. I also don't think the coaches at Oregon really used Herbert to his strengths. They wanted to be a run first team, and didn't really let Herbert sling it around much.

Given that Herbert looked pretty solid in his first few games with the Chargers, aside from the few (hopefully) fixable mistakes, I think it doesn't make sense to go back to Tyrod. You could argue that Tyrod gives them a better chance to win the next few games (debatable, but possible), but looking long-term, there's no way that Tyrod has the ceiling of Herbert.

Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

you'd see less handoffs to lesean mccoy and more 300 yard games... something tyrod has done once in his career. 10 years, only once did he pass for 300, he's a journeyman game manager with no upside to take over a game.

Just now, meekzy said:

you'd see less handoffs to lesean mccoy and more 300 yard games... something tyrod has done once in his career. 10 years, only once did he pass for 300, he's a journeyman game manager with no upside to take over a game.

If I had a nickel for every highly drafted quarterback who "has the ability to take over a game" flame out within five years I'd have more money than some of them.

I'm old enough to remember Joey Harrington, David Carr, Tim Couch, etc.  I don't think this kid has it.

But independent of that, he's too green now is what I'm saying.  It's not going to end well if you keep playing him, regardless of what his potential might be.

If I had a nickel for every highly drafted quarterback who "has the ability to take over a game" flame out within five years I'd have more money than some of them.

I'm old enough to remember Joey Harrington, David Carr, Tim Couch, etc.  I don't think this kid has it.

But independent of that, he's too green now is what I'm saying.  It's not going to end well if you keep playing him, regardless of what his potential might be.

I bet david carr could come out and throw 16/30 for 200 like tygod.

• Haha 1

Just now, meekzy said:

I bet david carr could come out and throw 16/30 for 200 like tygod.

Maybe so.

But Lynn's not starting him either.

Maybe so.

But Lynn's not starting him either.

ok? lol didnt say he was starting herbert either.

all im saying is i really think tyrod is only a rep or two away from franchise material... just one or two more times.... anyday now...

Just now, meekzy said:

all im saying is i really think tyrod is only a rep or two away from franchise material... just one or two more times.... anyday now...

You'd be the only one saying that.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't think this kid has it.

Oh, so you’re one of those people that wrote him off before he played a single snap. Makes sense.

I bet you still think Lamar, Josh Allen, and Kyler Murray suck, too.

Read response #2 to this thread. That is you.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1

Just now, MJJ28 said:

Oh, so you’re one of those people that wrote him off before he played a single snap.

I bet you still think Lamar, Josh Allen, and Kyler Murray suck, too.

Read response #1 to this thread. That is you.

No, that's not what I said.

Can we get back on topic...

Do we have any updates from Chargers practice? Who took first team reps?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Even if there was only a 50% chance that Herbert could become a stud QB, wouldn't you take that chance? Or would you rather roll with a 31 year old journeyman QB who has never won a playoff game in his career?

There's no guarantee that Herbert is going to be a bonafide star but there's a chance. Tyrod is what he is at this point in his career. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Taylor's not that kind of quarterback.

He's going to be more of a conservative game manager who moves the chains with his feet.

That doesn't make him a worse option for the team winning games, that just means he doesn't give you a nice little box score with your L.

[...]

Tyrod's "pro bowl" season he threw for 3000 yards, 20 TDs, rushed for 4 TDs. 

Herbert is on pace for nearly 5000 yards, nearly 30 TDs, and 5 rushing TDs. Herbert also has a higher QBR and a MUCH higher completion percentage. Other than that though. 

And that's prime, "pro bowl" Taylor. We're talking about Taylor now. 

This isn't even a remotely close comparison. 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

No, I don't think that is it. I would have guessed you were more of a soccer guy after your comments. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

[...] no sane person can watch both of these guys play quarterback for the Chargers and confidently proclaim that Tyrod freakin Taylor out of all players gives this team the best chance to win games.  It's asinine.  If Lynn makes the mistake of going back to Tyrod (whether pressured by ownership bc of the malpractice of their medical staff or otherwise) they'll inevitably go back to Herbert fairly quickly.  This isn't even debatable for anyone with a set of eyes.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 2