The G Man

A.J. Dillon 2020 Outlook

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

I'll go with the athletic profiles over opinions

ohh ok one of the analytic guys huh. Ok who were those players best comparable players according player profiler? I’m sure it wasn’t each other was it

Edited by Stonej14

7 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

ohh ok one of the analytic guys huh. Ok who were those players best comparable players according player profiler? I’m sure it wasn’t each other was it

Guess that means no one else has similar profiles.

We should all be analytics guys, get out of the stone age stonej

11 minutes ago, paulwall29 said:

Guess that means no one else has similar profiles.

We should all be analytics guys, get out of the stone age stonej

so I guess they were not best comparable players to each other?

I do use analytics but most of those are arbitrary and useless. Some are good like wide receivers break out age. I fully believe in that. But I think most of those stats are useless and are just a numbers put on someone to justify why you hate or like a player. It’s not much different from when film grinders say “I love this player cuss he is so patient in the hole and can set up his blocks” analytic guys say “I love so and so cuss his juke rate is so good and his true ypc is so good” I think it’s mostly BS from both of em 

• Like 2

He's a third string RB. Maybe he becomes a star one day, but right now he's pretty fantasy irrelevant. About as interesting as Bo Scarborough.

• Like 1

Dillon’s 0.25 missed tackles forced per carry should definitely concern you.

As should his draft-class-low 1.5 targets/game.

Most of his college production came from getting what was being blocked.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

so I guess they were not best comparable players to each other?

I do use analytics but most of those are arbitrary and useless. Some are good like wide receivers break out age. I fully believe in that. But I think most of those stats are useless and are just a numbers put on someone to justify why you hate or like a player. It’s not much different from when film grinders say “I love this player cuss he is so patient in the hole and can set up his blocks” analytic guys say “I love so and so cuss his juke rate is so good and his true ypc is so good” I think it’s mostly BS from both of em 

Never said that. Simply was making a silly in that he has a similar profile to Andre Williams and shares the commonality of being a JAG.

One is data driven one is subjective opinion. There is a reason the best franchises in every sport are adopting analytics. I guess when something isn't a perfect predictor of the future it's BS. We might as well rid the world of the entire process of removing bias through empirical science/data analytics CUSS it's BS! 

Edited by paulwall29

3 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

Never said that. Simply was making a silly in that he has a similar profile to Andre Williams and shares the commonality of being a JAG.

One is data driven one is subjective opinion. There is a reason the best franchises in every sport are adopting analytics. I guess when something isn't a perfect predictor of the future it's BS. We might as well rid the world of the entire process of removing bias through empirical science/data analytics CUSS it's BS! 

I mean I did say I also use analytics too. I just don’t think all of them are useful. Like the Sparqx score seems as useless as any I’ve ever seen. Some of these analytics can be useful if used properly and in proper context but I believe most are not. 

3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Dillon’s 0.25 missed tackles forced per carry should definitely concern you.

As should his draft-class-low 1.5 targets/game.

Most of his college production came from getting what was being blocked.

According to Sports Info Solutions, Dillon ranked fourth in the nation by forcing 43 missed tackles and seventh with 943 rushing yards after contact.

Depends what ya look at I guess this has his forced missed tackles down to 13% per carry compared to your 25% but his yards after contact would make it look like he earned a lot of his 1600 yards. 

like I said these analytics are useful but not the end all be all they need to be used in proper context. Bigger backs don’t make as many ppl miss. Derrick henry has 58 missed tackles last year for a rate of 19% and he wasn’t facing a stacked box 75% of the time. I doubt this kid can catch a cold tho. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

I mean I did say I also use analytics too. I just don’t think all of them are useful. Like the Sparqx score seems as useless as any I’ve ever seen. Some of these analytics can be useful if used properly and in proper context but I believe most are not. 

According to Sports Info Solutions, Dillon ranked fourth in the nation by forcing 43 missed tackles and seventh with 943 rushing yards after contact.

Depends what ya look at I guess this has his forced missed tackles down to 13% per carry compared to your 25% but his yards after contact would make it look like he earned a lot of his 1600 yards. 

like I said these analytics are useful but not the end all be all they need to be used in proper context. Bigger backs don’t make as many ppl miss. Derrick henry has 58 missed tackles last year for a rate of 19% and he wasn’t facing a stacked box 75% of the time. I doubt this kid can catch a cold tho. 

When you end three years of college at BC with 845 carries, you’ll have forced a lot of missed tackles overall.

Particularly when your line affords you a class-best 1.90 yards blocked per play.

Edited by BMcP

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

When you end three years of college at BC with 845 carries, you’ll have forced a lot of missed tackles overall.

those were just his junior year stats

1 minute ago, Stonej14 said:

Heck of a junior year, I’ll say, then.

• Like 1

Just now, Stonej14 said:

Bmcp is just a troll, don't mind him.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Bmcp is just a troll, don't mind him.

Thanks, dmb, for your excellent troll job.

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

The Sparqx score is useful for its intended utility, It tells you that a guy is super athletic if he has a high score and not athletic if he has a low score. It's your fault if you are judging it as anything more than that. No one analytic tool tells the whole story of a player. For example, AJ Dillon's SPARQ would be through the roof if he had a complete profile, yet I still think he sucks because he is a one dimensional back that has volume based production, has a standup, straight line running style and is anachronistic to today's NFL. Good luck betting on him being a Derrick Henry style outlier. Hint: he's not.

Edited by paulwall29

11 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

The Sparqx score is useful for its intended utility, It tells you that a guy is super athletic if he has a high score and not athletic if he has a low score. It's your fault if you are judging it as anything more than that. No one analytic tool tells the whole story of a player. For example, AJ Dillon's SPARQ would be through the roof if he had a complete profile, yet I still think he sucks because he is a one dimensional back that has volume based production, has a standup, straight line running style and is anachronistic to today's NFL. Good luck betting on him being a Derrick Henry style outlier. Hint: he's not.

ok brother agree to disagree 

• Packers GM Brian Gutekunst compared second-round rookie RB AJ Dillon to Eddie Lacy.

When asked about Dillon, Gutekunst said, "I think he's obviously built to last. He has had a lot of production over the last three years and proven that. We had a chance to have Eddie Lacy here for a few years where he was that kind of back, and I think A.J. can do some similar things." While both are heavy backs who figure to do a lot of their damage between the tackles, Dillon is more impressive physically than Lacy, who battled weight issues for most of his NFL career. Dillon went viral on social media after a training camp photo surfaces of his tree trunk legs. Aaron Rodgers also was impressed with Dillon's muscular built but did note that the "biggest hurdle" will be Dillon getting caught up with the playbook. Dillon has the potential to pass Jamaal Williams on the depth chart and could be a thorn in Aaron Jones' side for fantasy purposes.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Aug 15, 2020, 7:15 PM ET

hqgv0myf38h51.png?width=1104&format=png&auto=webp&s=28b0a106371f4a6d18b7d1761dceb0576159ec05
  •  

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, The G Man said:
  • Packers GM Brian Gutekunst compared second-round rookie RB AJ Dillon to Eddie Lacy.

When asked about Dillon, Gutekunst said, "I think he's obviously built to last. He has had a lot of production over the last three years and proven that. We had a chance to have Eddie Lacy here for a few years where he was that kind of back, and I think A.J. can do some similar things." While both are heavy backs who figure to do a lot of their damage between the tackles, Dillon is more impressive physically than Lacy, who battled weight issues for most of his NFL career. Dillon went viral on social media after a training camp photo surfaces of his tree trunk legs. Aaron Rodgers also was impressed with Dillon's muscular built but did note that the "biggest hurdle" will be Dillon getting caught up with the playbook. Dillon has the potential to pass Jamaal Williams on the depth chart and could be a thorn in Aaron Jones' side for fantasy purposes.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Aug 15, 2020, 7:15 PM ET

hqgv0myf38h51.png?width=1104&format=png&auto=webp&s=28b0a106371f4a6d18b7d1761dceb0576159ec05
  •  

Jesus.. Wouldn’t want to tackle him. Enough skills to take over in 2021?

Edited by OrangeCrush
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Jesus.. Wouldn’t want to tackle him. Enough skills to take over in 2021?

USATSI_14747343.jpg

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/7-things-to-know-from-packers-first-training-camp-practice/

Matt LaFleur, who coached Derrick Henry for a year in Tennessee, said he’s never seen a running back built like rookie A.J. Dillon. The 247-pounder sure looks the part. He has huge legs and an imposing frame. Aaron Rodgers called him a “well-built guy,” which is an understatement. He also said Dillon “moves really well.” That’s a great combination for a running back. The Packers shocked many by using a second-round pick on Dillon, and he’ll have to work for playing time behind Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, but once he gets on the field, Dillon and his tree-trunk legs probably won’t be fun to tackle, especially in cold weather.

Darn. I'm quite happy to own a share of him in Dynasty. 

Edited by Boudewijn

5 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

A guy who NEVER skipped leg day. 

well, neither did Lacey ...

KFC Fried Chicken Bucket and Sides...APRIL FOOLS! - Kitchen Fun With My 3  Sons

• Haha 9

Posted (edited)

Dillon's legs are like tree trunks.  It will take players to gang tackle him to get him down.  

Edited by sjm76

Didn't think I'd see someone as ripped as Saquon...yet here we are.

Probably good for 600-700 all-purpose yards and 4-6 tds.