The G Man

Laviska Shenault 2020 Outlook

• Jaguars selected Colorado WR Laviska Shenault with the No. 42 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Shenault (6’1/227) is a powerful receiver with strong short-area explosion who battled injuries and questionable usage in college, making him a risky prospect with high-end upside. In 2018, he had the second most receptions per game (9.6) among FBS sophomores since at least 2000, but he was slowed down by injuries last season. Those setbacks, unfortunately, were brought on by his physical playing style and usage. Per PFF, only 25% of his targets traveled beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage with Colorado deploying him as a gadget player who even lined up as a Wildcat runner in goal line situations. At the next level, he will likely do most of his damage underneath, but he has flashed the ability to win deep, too. It will take some development to make Shenault an all-around receiver, but his athleticism is intriguing if his health cooperates. The landing spot isn't ideal given the team's offensive woes, but there is opportunity across from D.J. Chark if Shenault can compete with Chris Conley in camp. Fortunately, the versatile rookie is assured reps as a FLEX option since he can be used on offense in multiple ways.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:51 PM ET

•  

2 minutes ago, The G Man said:
  • Jaguars selected Colorado WR Laviska Shenault with the No. 42 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Shenault (6’1/227) is a powerful receiver with strong short-area explosion who battled injuries and questionable usage in college, making him a risky prospect with high-end upside. In 2018, he had the second most receptions per game (9.6) among FBS sophomores since at least 2000, but he was slowed down by injuries last season. Those setbacks, unfortunately, were brought on by his physical playing style and usage. Per PFF, only 25% of his targets traveled beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage with Colorado deploying him as a gadget player who even lined up as a Wildcat runner in goal line situations. At the next level, he will likely do most of his damage underneath, but he has flashed the ability to win deep, too. It will take some development to make Shenault an all-around receiver, but his athleticism is intriguing if his health cooperates. The landing spot isn't ideal given the team's offensive woes, but there is opportunity across from D.J. Chark if Shenault can compete with Chris Conley in camp. Fortunately, the versatile rookie is assured reps as a FLEX option since he can be used on offense in multiple ways.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:51 PM ET

•  

LMAO at part in bold.  Gotta love the RW blurbs....

On 4/25/2020 at 6:00 PM, El_Chingon said:

but there is opportunity across from D.J. Chark if Shenault can compete with Chris Conley in camp. 

LMAO at part in bold.  Gotta love the RW blurbs....

I'm sorry, I'm not in on the joke. I assume you consider one of the two much better, but which of them?

Conley was last season the #2 in JAX, with 775 yds and 5 TDs; they also still have Dede Westbrook and then Keelan Cole is somewhere too, 

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

I'm sorry, I'm not in on the joke. I assume you consider one of the two much better, but which of them?

Conley was last season the #2 in JAX, with 775 yds and 5 TDs; they also still have Dede Westbrook and then Keelan Cole is somewhere too, 

I'm pretty sure he considers Shenault better. This time of year people assume every rookie is going to be immediately handed a starting job. Half of these guys, if not more than half, will do nothing as rookies. How did Harry, Isabella, JJAW, Butler, Henderson, Justice Hill, etc work out last year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I'm pretty sure he considers Shenault better. This time of year people assume every rookie is going to be immediately handed a starting job. Half of these guys, if not more than half, will do nothing as rookies. How did Harry, Isabella, JJAW, Butler, Henderson, Justice Hill, etc work out last year?

I assumed the same ;)

I absolutely agree with you. If you look at the WRs who were drafted early on the second day over the past 10+ years, that's really a very nice list of WRs, and you'd be rightly proud to be in that list. However, very few were instant successes, and if we take Conley's numbers (775 yards) then only 4 of the 16 I found exceeded that in their rookie year.

image.png.9aa536fb4c274db2d380e48906073ce7.png

Dynasty is another matter of course, but you have to agree with the Rotoblurb: yes, Shenault first has to show he can compete. New recruits get nothing for free.

• Like 1

Shenault is a monster, only injuries kept him from being a 1st rounder.  If healthy he will easily "compete " with s JAG like Conley. 

9 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

idiot Packers shoulda swooped him up

why? Matt La Idiot is clearly afraid to throw the ball, at least until he can get his pick 1.26 jordan love playing QB. shenault woud've been bored.

based on La Idiot's "leadership," i'm surprised the pack didn't go pick #26 love, pick #62 aj dillon, and pick #94 punter.

so sad, the stupidity: it's like lafleur is putting rodgers out to pasture because he hasn't thrown 30 TDs in the past two seasons...

or lafleur is a genius asking himself, How can i get aaron rodgers as angry as possible during this draft? he plays best when he's angry...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Every team is required to have a #2 by default.  Throw your grandma out there and she will run into some stats by default.

This looks like the type of offense that can sustain 2 regular fantasy starters (Fournette and Chark) tops, to me.  

I really like Shenault as a prospect, however I do not trust him to even come close to realizing his potential on that team.

• Jaguars coach Doug Marrone envisions using second-round WR Laviska Shenault in a variety of roles.

Marrone said, "You can put him in the backfield. He can play Wildcat. You can put him as the F tight end. You can do a lot of things with him." It's exactly how he was used at Colorado. Only 25% of his targets traveled beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, and the Buffalos lined him up as a Wildcat QB in short-yardage situations to take advantage of his power and size (6'1/227). Jacksonville's offense will likely be experimenting with Shenault throughout his rookie season, but there is opportunity for him to earn starts at receiver. It's unclear if he'll primarily play the slot or outside in normal three-receiver sets. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    May 1, 2020, 2:04 PM ET

•  

1 minute ago, andypro77 said:

This guy is a JAG.

So Laviska kicked your dog.  I get it.

Just now, BMcP said:

So Laviska kicked your dog.  I get it.

No, I don't think you do.

That's ok, it's subtle.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to be mildly upset if he prevents Westbrook from achieving high-end WR4 to low-end WR3 numbers for the 3rd straight year!

Edited by sSektor
  • Haha 1

I’d be willing to take a chance on drafting Shenault in the back half of round 2 of rookie drafts right now.

He has huge potential upside but he also profiles as an injury prone, low volume weapon.

And he’s going to an organization in which I have little faith in their player development and front office decision making, including their ability to secure a good QB for their future anytime soon, even if they tank. 

And there are too many other good and great WRs who profile as WR1/2s in this league drafted ahead of him this year: Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, Jefferson, Raegor, Aiyuk, Pittman, Higgins, Mims for sure ahead of him as fantasy prospects to me.

I agree with the Cordarelle Patterson comp. Maybe Percy Harvin if I’m really reaching. We’ll see if that profile ever works out well for fantasy purposes, as it hasn’t yet. 

I think Patterson looks like a total stiff in comparison. Patterson is big and fast, but Shenault is so much more fluid in his movements. Patterson is so top heavy, whereas Shenault appears to be able to actually move like a WR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just said this dudes name and all my furniture started to levitate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Jags are going run with Chark, Conley and Westbrook in 3-WR sets this year. Seems like they're going to do their best to move Shenault around and give him different looks and with Conley and Westbrook in contract years, he should slide in to the #2 in 2021.

5 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Jags are going run with Chark, Conley and Westbrook in 3-WR sets this year. Seems like they're going to do their best to move Shenault around and give him different looks and with Conley and Westbrook in contract years, he should slide in to the #2 in 2021.

You’re a Jags fan, right?  Why would you say Shenault will sit out this season in 3-wides?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BMcP said:

You’re a Jags fan, right?  Why would you say Shenault will sit out this season in 3-wides?

Right.  They wouldn't draft a WR with 1st round talent in the 2nd round to sit behind scrubs.

Edited by El_Chingon

On 5/7/2020 at 11:11 PM, MJJ28 said:

I think Patterson looks like a total stiff in comparison. Patterson is big and fast, but Shenault is so much more fluid in his movements. Patterson is so top heavy, whereas Shenault appears to be able to actually move like a WR.

Agreed, pretty awful comparison.