The G Man

Laviska Shenault 2020 Outlook

dude should be better than both Conley and Westbrook on day one, the question is can he remain healthy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BMcP said:

You’re a Jags fan, right?  Why would you say Shenault will sit out this season in 3-wides?

Just what I'm hearing.  Don't expect him to start out of the gate. They like Conley, who had a sneaky good year last year.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Just what I'm hearing.  Don't expect him to start out of the gate. They like Conley, who had a sneaky good year last year.

Thanks - wow, that’s surprising to me.  Downright irresponsible, almost, given the capital investment and provided full health.

11 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Just what I'm hearing. 

Can I ask where? Radio show, podcast?

23 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Can I ask where? Radio show, podcast?

Mostly local radio.  It's obviously not concrete and could change quickly.  This is why we're hearing they're going to give him looks at QB, RB, WR and TE early on.

11 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Mostly local radio.  It's obviously not concrete and could change quickly.  This is why we're hearing they're going to give him looks at QB, RB, WR and TE early on.

*dreaming of Shenault with TE eligibility 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hearing good things about him from training camp

he has the potential to be the #1 in the offense

take a flier on him now or have to burn a waiver when he blows up week 1

spacer.png

Edited by gus030

But perhaps the most notable piece of praise came from Shenault's own position coach, former NFL Pro Bowl receiver Keenan McCardell. 

“I see a lot of power—strong runner after the catch. You know, he reminds me a little bit of Anquan Boldin after the catch, the way he gets in and out, the way he breaks his tackles, on film I saw that." McCardell said. 

"Now, being up close with him, he has that power of Andre Johnson," McCardell said. 

"You know, I hold Andre in high regards, that’s my guy, we’re good friends. But I’ve also seen him [Shenault] work every day. I see the power that he has, he kind of reminds me a little bit of Andre, he has that type of power. And I don’t want to put those shoes out there for him because those are some huge shoes to fill, but you know, he has that type of body type."

• Like 1

https://blackandteal.com/2020/08/26/jaguars-wide-receivers-impressive/

The number two WR position has two players vying for that important spot. First is Chris Conley, a free agent in 2019.  He had a solid season last year with a quiet 47 receptions for 775 yards and five touchdowns. He is familiar with the team and this might be an even more productive year for him.

Laviska Shenault is pushing Conley for that number two spot and his versatility could be the difference-maker. It’s possible that he could be the Jaguars’ most productive rookie. This is a great problem for a lower-talent team.

Coming in behind Conley and Shenault is DeDe Westbrook, a very good slot receiver. Westbrook had 66 receptions for 660 yards and three touchdowns in 2019. Keelan Cole, who became something of a forgotten man after a series of dropped passes, has had an excellent showing in training camp.

Seems they may have quite a few options. Interesting situation, also for Chark and Fournette.

That Matt Waldman video convinced me.  He's certainly worth a second to last or last pick of the draft to see what happens.  Heck, just draft him instead of a kicker and see what happens before the season opens.

Jags fan here, if you guys have any questions....feel free to ask. I didn't draft him but open to helping anyone.

41 minutes ago, jagsfan05 said:

Jags fan here, if you guys have any questions....feel free to ask. I didn't draft him but open to helping anyone.

I'll bite.  What do you have to say about this guy?  Any insight from attending practices and observation?  What are the local beat writers saying that we haven't seen already on the internet?

I took a shot on this guy with my last pick, but he's honestly probably going to be cut for a kicker.  Jags are not going to be a top tier offense and it seems like relying on the #2 isn't a great strategy for scoring points.

Is this guy the 2020 version of Tavon Austin?  More useful in real life than in fantasy?

He’s nothing like Austin 

they just traded their best d player, the defense is gonna be horrible - minshew is underrated and loves to sling it around - gonna be some garbage time points here I think

Took him in round 2 of my dynasty draft. Probably not touching him in my redraft league, but I love the potential. Physical WR that also has very good speed. He made Montez look good at Colorado. Clearly hurt by mediocre QB play.

Lotta opportunity available in Jacksonville for a man with his skill set. Gonna grab this guy and hold for a week or two to see how things shake out.

Posted (edited)

The loss of Fournette is only going to help his value. Expect some use in the running game too imo.

Seeing reports he's running with the 1s and Westbrook is hurt. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:56 AM, FantasyFiend said:

If Shenault lines out of the backfield often enough will Yahoo add the RB tag to his eligibility?

Yahoo has never taken away eligibility (such as Marques Colston's WR/TE or Jaylen Samuels RB/TE), but I do think they add eligibility if there are sufficient snaps played at a single position.  I'm not sure if there are strict criteria regarding how many games, how many plays, etc.

Just picked this guy up .. Heard a Jags beat writer say he expects LS to get around 800 yards and 6-8 TDs .. Said he’ll be used a lot .. Maybe in some wildcat action too like he did in Colorado. 

He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin. Just get the ball into his hands and he’ll manhandle any DB. 

17 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin. Just get the ball into his hands and he’ll manhandle any DB. 

Yeah he does .. He’s an Anquan Boldin/Deebo Samuel type of receiver. Plays like a running back looking for contact. I think he could have a nice year. Apparently was supposed to be a first rounder but dropped because he had a horrible combine due to an injury. 

Honestly this is probably why the Jags cut Fournette. Laviska probably will make noise out of the backfield, & they’ll run a lot of motion between positions. If the Jags add a TE (read somewhere Njoku could be traded there) this might even tip off how the Jags plan on playing this season.

Minshew was a crazy high volume thrower in college. He was remarkably efficient last year for a rookie. I bet they just want to build a dynamic offense around him. Even makes sense with adding Thompson.

Minshew is actually really underrated in fantasy. He finished as the 21st highest QB in fantasy as a rookie despite only starting 12 games. 

Plus the team trashing Fournette on the way out also makes more sense if they plan to really use Laviska a lot more out of the backfield. Doesn’t help to hype up Laviska in preseason.

Edited by worldclass
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 11:29 PM, wonderbread said:

This guy is Cordarrelle Patterson 2.0