Newtown

Matt Breida 2020 Outlook

Dolphins acquired RB Matt Breida from the 49ers in exchange for the No. 153 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Dolphins and Jaguars discussed a Leonard Fournette trade last month, but nothing came of it and Miami turned its attention to Breida. The 49ers had way too many backs on the roster and needed to unload one. Rarely ever 100% healthy, Breida plays through injuries and has averaged 5.0 yards per carry on 381 career totes since coming into the league as an UDFA out of Georgia Southern in 2017. Breida recently turned 25 and is on the hook for $2.133 million in 2020, the final year of his deal. In Miami, Breida will be the lightning to Jordan Howard's thunder after the Dolphins passed on early-round running backs this weekend.

Posted (edited)

The Dolphins invested a lot of resources in the O-line. If that groups is more effective, Brieda may have some PPR value as a change of pace/3rd down back in Miami. He may even take some early down work from Howard which gives him a bit of upside as well. He could be Howard's Miles Sanders in Miami. Plus, it is a contract year for him. Needs to stay healthy though. Thought he was the best runner in SF last year with Mostert a close second.

Edited by Newtown
  • Thanks 1

Love the talent and explosiveness.  Also a pretty good landing spot with Breida and Howard in the backfield.  Breida should at least be the pass catching back and should also get some carries each game.  Maybe 12ish touches a game or so.  The only thing holding Breida back throughout his career has been injury.  Seems to get nicked up every single game.  I imagine his ADP won't be very high since everyone assumes Howard as the "starter" so he could be a decent late round grab for PPR leagues. 

• Like 1

The Miami Dolphins have improved in so many ways this past week and adding Matt Breida is one of the ways they improved. With both Jordan and Breida in the backfield it gives the Dolphins a good 1-2 punch and with a much improved O-Line they should be successful. I see the Dolphins being a much improved team this season. Don't know if they will jump into the playoffs, but they will improve on the 5-11 to a possible 8-8 record.

In theory I agree that this is a pretty good landing spot for Breida.  But I am completely and totally done having this player on any of my fantasy teams.  He is almost literally always injured.  But then he plays through the injuries, but does nothing.  I will let someone else deal with this situation.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

In theory I agree that this is a pretty good landing spot for Breida.  But I am completely and totally done having this player on any of my fantasy teams.  He is almost literally always injured.  But then he plays through the injuries, but does nothing.  I will let someone else deal with this situation.

I get your concern and wanting to avoid because of the injury worry but this isn't as big an issue for me if the player in question would be one of my bench players.  It's not like Breida's going to cost you a high draft pick or much in auction, so you likely shouldn't have to rely on him to be a weekly starter.  No question Breida's talented and he definitely landed in one of the best spots to get touches for 2020.  As other's have mentioned, MIA's O-line and team in general should be improved.  If he can carve out 10-15 touches a week (with 2-3+ rec), with his 5.0 YPC average, that's a nice 4th RB for your roster.

If you have Breida, at some point you will start Breida.  Then he will let you down.

No.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you have Breida, at some point you will start Breida.  Then he will let you down.

No.

Yeah, one of the greatest pump fakes in fantasy football is the guy that has drool worthy talent, you start him a d he gives you a great game, you go all in on him after that only to see him play injured and be ineffective or miss the game altogether, like will Fuller.

Just mind numbing to deal with in-season but he guts they hype every year.

• Thanks 1

Best ball and zero RB poster chile(slight return)

• Like 3

Very talented player.  But the fakeout is the perfect way to describe his performances.

He will be a solid lightning to Jordan Howard's Thunder. 

IF you look at his game logs from last year he was a back end rb2. Week 1 last year he was awful vs tampa bay (tampa was one of the top teams last year against the run)

The redskins game the field was a mess and no one had a good game for fantasy on either team.

The first rams game last yaer was a slugfest and low scoring. Neither team had much offense the entire game.

The panther game was a bit flukey when tevin coleman was playing like prime cj2k/arian foster/insert fantasy stud name here.

He does seem to always get hurt so counting on him as anything more than an rb4 who has rb2 upside might be the play. I do not think laird magically just goes away but I could be wrong and peter overzet cries tears for years.

Laird seems like the better receiving option.

Breida just hurts Howard's production.   The team really has improved but this looks like a RBBC game plan. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I really hope they ease Tua in because I think both RBs and Fitz could be sick value if that downfield passing game stays opened up out of the gates.

Edited by Proteus

An unpredictable, value-sapping committee between Jordan Howard, Matt Breida, and Laird?

Jordan Howard likely to get the money shot goal line plunges?

Breida in and out of the lineup with constant nagging ankle injuries, critical to a player who relies on blazing speed and sharp cuts since he is pretty small for an NFL running back?

Sorry guys I just can't do it.

• Like 1

My guess is this is Miami copying the Patriots.

Howard = S, Micheal

Breida  = Burkhead

Larid = J White.

Good luck anyone touching this backfield.

• Like 2

I don't see Laird having very much of a role unless Howard or Breida go down to be honest.  He looked positively ordinary to me last year.  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, isuckatdfs said:

"If you look at his game logs from last year he was a back end rb2. ... He does seem to always get hurt so counting on him as anything more than an rb4 who has rb2 upside might be the play. ..."

Last year Lamar Jackson led all ball-carriers with the most yards before contact (per carry). Second overall was Raheem Mostert & 3rd was Breida. Even Tevin Coleman was in the top 10, an impressive team stat. However, not one of those guys were in the top 20 for yards after contact! What does this suggest? Perhaps that the success for each had more to do with the system. Believing that Breida is now going to be fantasy-worthy playing in Miami may be overly optimistic. I realize you can get him later now, but he's still a top 100 pick, which is too high for me. I consider Ronald Jones, Zack Moss & Damien Harris better players & they're all way back there. 

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I don't see Laird having very much of a role unless Howard or Breida go down to be honest.  He looked positively ordinary to me last year.  

He's a distant 3rd and that's being generous. Seems like more of a special teams guy.